McKenzie: Jets likely pursuing Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
You don't get it.

The Jets could acquire Stone for the trade deadline UFA rental price, then extend his contract and trade Laine for a king's ransom in the offseason.
You don't get it. You're not getting more than Stone for Laine. Wake up buddy...Stone is a star, but he doesn't get the attention he deserves because he's in Ottawa.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
If something was going to happen today, I would assume we would hear about it in the next hour.... no?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
You don't get it. You're not getting more than Stone for Laine. Wake up buddy...Stone is a star, but he doesn't get the attention he deserves because he's in Ottawa.
You need to wake up buddy. Stone as a rental compared to laine with 4yrs left as a rfa is a gigantic difference. The price you pay for stone as a rental compared to the haul you would get for laine with 4 years of control is huge. That's why the jets would never trade laine for a signed stone in a million years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Much rather keep KC. That's why Whileee doesn't get it.
I get that. If you prefer to trade Laine for a king's ransom than trade Connor, I understand that. The worst idea is to trade either of them for Stone, because the Jets don't need to pay that much for him.

Step 1: Acquire Stone as rental (pay just a bit more than the next best offer).

Step 2: Extend Stone's contract (if he's willing to agree to a sign and trade then he'll extend after a rental deal).

Step 3: Trade Connor or Laine in the summer for a huge return.

See how much better that works?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Stone is a UFA rental. The Sens are forced to trade him because he won't extend his contract with him. The trade deadline price for Stone is way less than Laine, so why would the Jets overpay.

You are completely missing the point. It's not about Stone or Laine, it's about having them both through the playoffs, extending Stone, and then trading Connor or Laine for a big trade return.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I get that. If you prefer to trade Laine for a king's ransom than trade Connor, I understand that. The worst idea is to trade either of them for Stone, because the Jets don't need to pay that much for him.

Step 1: Acquire Stone as rental (pay just a bit more than the next best offer).

Step 2: Extend Stone's contract (if he's willing to agree to a sign and trade then he'll extend after a rental deal).

Step 3: Trade Connor of Laine in the summer for a huge return.

See how much better that works?
Problem with your theory is the "if". And it's a big "if" and pure speculation at this point.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Stone is a UFA rental. The Sens are forced to trade him because he won't extend his contract with him. The trade deadline price for Stone is way less than Laine, so why would the Jets overpay.

You are completely missing the point. It's not about Stone or Laine, it's about having them both through the playoffs, extending Stone, and then trading Connor or Laine for a big trade return.
Laine is a liability at this point and it would not surprise me if Jets management is wondering what to do with Laine in terms of the immediate lineup, if they trade for Stone.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Laine is a liability at this point and it would not surprise me if Jets management is wondering what to do with Laine in terms of the immediate lineup, if they trade for Stone.
So move him down to 3rd or 4th line and pp . But you can have both and a bigger return in July. It's not a debate on who is better. Jets are not trading laine fir a signed stone.

Reactions: Whileee

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Why is it a big "if"?

Why would Stone be more willing to sign long term with the Jets today than he would tomorrow or a week from now?
You have no idea if he even wants to sign long term with the Jets. That's the big if. Maybe he wants to test UFA and go to the highest bidder. Maybe he wants to play in a warmer climate. That's the big if. Unless Chevy knows he can get Stone signed as a UFA, a signed Stone has big value.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets management are not as shortsighted as you are, evidently. Do you realize that Laine was 2nd on the Jets in overall goals above replacement (GAR) during his rookie and sophomore seasons, at age 18 and 19? Only Scheifele topped him. Stone was still in Brandon at that stage of his career.

Fans can get carried away with a young player's slump, but a pro GM like Chevy won't.

Reactions: Snowman

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You have no idea if he even wants to sign long term with the Jets. That's the big if. Maybe he wants to test UFA and go to the highest bidder. Maybe he wants to play in a warmer climate. That's the big if. Unless Chevy knows he can get Stone signed as a UFA, a signed Stone has big value.
I don't think you understand how a sign and trade works. Stone won't agree to a sign and trade to Winnipeg unless he's willing to stay in Winnipeg long term. So you can't acquire a signed Stone unless he wants to play in Winnipeg long term. If he wants to play in Winnipeg long term, the Jets can just acquire him and then extend him instead, which turns out better for Stone too because he joins a stronger team.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Laine's floor is very concerning at this point as well. Is he the next Ovechkin or Heatley?
Yes but if you are comparing them compare apples to apples.....
how many NHL goals did Stone score VS Laine when he was 18? 19? 20? You can’t compare Stone at 26 to Laine at 20

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Jets management are not as shortsighted as you are, evidently. Do you realize that Laine was 2nd on the Jets in overall goals above replacement (GAR) during his rookie and sophomore seasons, at age 18 and 19? Only Scheifele topped him. Stone was still in Brandon at that stage of his career.

Fans can get carried away with a young player's slump, but a pro GM like Chevy won't.
A pro GM will have more info than both of us and if they have concerns about Laine's work ethic and lack of development, which has stalled, they will make the right decision to sell now. The rest of the league sees what we are all seeing. Laine's in more than just a slump. His lack of development and commitment to his craft (i.e. hours of video games) is concerning.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

It's the recency bias and emotions of fans. There's a larger quantity of evidence of Laine being a phenom goal scorer than not

Some fans seem to have gone to Chiarellis school of GMing - sell low & buy high

What were jets fans wanting to trade Laine for after his rookie year? Or after last year ? Or after Nov 2018? That's right they wouldn't

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I don't think you understand how a sign and trade works. Stone won't agree to a sign and trade to Winnipeg unless he's willing to stay in Winnipeg long term. So you can't acquire a signed Stone unless he wants to play in Winnipeg long term. If he wants to play in Winnipeg long term, the Jets can just acquire him and then extend him instead, which turns out better for Stone too because he joins a stronger team.
I fully understand how a sign and trade works. He could do the sign and trade now to get 8 years. If the sign and trade doesn't go through, then max he can get is 7 years and that could then change his thought process. Is see your logic to some extent but it's still pure speculation unless your in Stone's head.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
A pro GM will have more info than both of us and if they have concerns about Laine's work ethic and lack of development, which has stalled, they will make the right decision to sell now. The rest of the league sees what we are all seeing. Laine's in more than just a slump. His lack of development and commitment to his craft (i.e. hours of video games) is concerning.
If you are debating how good stone is or how good laine will be in a possible laine for a signed stone trade you have totally missed the point as to why it cant happen.

Reactions: Snowman

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Laine for a rental is not happening and Chevy will sign and develop him.

A Stone trade would be centered around a 1st round pick, roster player and a prospect in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->