Eklund Rumor: Jets/Leafs/Flyers

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
In all honesty...Trouba would be great in Toronto, but without knowing if he would sign long term, i would not pay the cost. I think Detroit or Florida is where he wants to be.

Also, no way am i trading Nylander for Sanhiem.

Likewise on both accounts.

Trouba would be a great addition but the cost to acquire is prohibitive. Our future cap shouldnt be too hard to manage with so many young kids coming in, but it would certainly not make things easier.

Easily conceding that Nylander holds more value tha Sanheim, and its not even close. But the fit isnt right for us. If we acquire him as a RW, We have Konecny, Voracek and Simmonds currently as capable top 6 RWs. If we Acquire him as a center, we have Couturier and Patrick as top 6 C's currently, and Frost on the way.

Nylander would be a great add, but not at the cost of an asset we cant currently replace.

Reactions: Raymoondo

greengoblin

Jan 20, 2017
I LOL at people who actually take the time to read Eklund's BS and take him serious. Tough Tough life.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I swear Ive never been to his site. I am amazed he has any following at all. Has he ever broken a story?

Once in a blue moon, he gets something before the big guys. As I understand it, his following came mostly from the last lockout (or was it two lockouts ago?), where he was pretty well ahead of the curve with information; since then, though, he's been very hit or miss.

Way I see it, his site's entertainment, with a blind squirrel chance of something that has enough steam behind it to actually happen showing up. I can entirely believe that front offices are having the conversations he's posting about; however, they're probably "hey, what about that guy" kinds of convos, rather than legitimate, in-depth discussions.

Reactions: Starat327

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Don't see how Dermott is clearly below Sanheim at all. Dermott is younger, has had a better showing in the NHL thus far, and was the #1 defenseman on the best team in the AHL before he was called up to the Leafs.
Less than 9 months and I fail to see how he's had a better NHL or AHL showing

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Although an extremely small sample size (too small to make any real analysis), Dermott produced more points in a lot less games last year in the NHL.

Dermott also started considerably less zone starts in the offensive zone than sanheim while posting better CF% and CF%rel as well as a better pts/60.

Dermott seems to have had a better year in the NHL at a younger age.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Although an extremely small sample size (too small to make any real analysis), Dermott produced more points in a lot less games last year in the NHL.

Dermott also started considerably less zone starts in the offensive zone than sanheim while posting better CF% and CF%rel as well as a better pts/60.

There's a reason why every leaf fan uses cf% their entire team is boosted. List pairing partners as well. Less goals and more secondary assist in a "lot less games" (no it wasn't) doesn't mean better season.

You'd be hard pressed finding Dermott above Sanheim on any credible prospect list.

Not sure why it was mentioned Dermott was the #1D in AHL either as Sanheim was also while scoring at a PPG clip playing at a much higher level than Dermott.

Dermott hasn't outplayed Sanheim at any level thus far. Who knows in the future though

Reactions: Adtar02

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

We know for sure that Dermott can dominate bottom pairing competition with an AHL-calibre partner, that's all you can really ask for from a young defenseman in his rookie year.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I fail to see how either can be called better, except in your own opinion.
They have both just started their NHL careers.
Sanheim has played 49 games and Dermott has played 37. Both have excellent potential.
Both are touted as smart, talented puck moving defenseman.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Then you weren't watching...because Dermott produced more points in less NHL games with a better +/-. And even if Sanheim was slightly better than Dermott (which he's really not), he's still not close to landing Nylander.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Then you weren't watching...because Dermott produced more points in less NHL games with a better +/-. And even if Sanheim was slightly better than Dermott (which he's really not), he's still not close to landing Nylander.

Its so young in their careers, its hard to call it either way. Sanheim has the pedigree over Dermott, but I think Dermott probably showed more in the time he was given.

As a Flyer fan, ill partially attribute Sanheim's lack of success due to our coach being an imbecile, but Dermott has come a long way and looks to be impressive on his own. I don't think there's a need to call one or the other unanimously 'better' at this point. :dunno:

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
No, you weren't watching, just reading stats.

So I guess you'll concede Couturier >> Matthews, Marner and Nylander while Ghost >> Rielly?

Reactions: Adtar02

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
I fail to see how either can be called better, except in your own opinion.
They have both just started their NHL careers.
Sanheim has played 49 games and Dermott has played 37. Both have excellent potential.
Both are touted as smart, talented puck moving defenseman.
I agree in terms of NHL play, small sample size. I think AHL and Juniors clearly go to Sanheim, which makes sense when you look at draft pedigree.

In any case, both guys go sooner in a redraft and have developed great.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
There's a reason why every leaf fan uses cf% their entire team is boosted. List pairing partners as well. Less goals and more secondary assist in a "lot less games" (no it wasn't) doesn't mean better season.

You'd be hard pressed finding Dermott above Sanheim on any credible prospect list.

Not sure why it was mentioned Dermott was the #1D in AHL either as Sanheim was also while scoring at a PPG clip playing at a much higher level than Dermott.

Dermott hasn't outplayed Sanheim at any level thus far. Who knows in the future though
Then why did Dermott have a better relative corsi to his teammates than Sanheim's relative corsi like I posted? Negates your point completely (Dermott had a rel cosi of +6.4% at ES).

Sanheim and Dermott have a percent difference of almost 28% in games played in the NHL so ya that is a pretty big difference. Dermott produced 0.35 pts/game compared to 0.2 pts/game, again a large difference.

Sanheim played with better partners than Dermott from what I can see, unless you think Polak is a good player lol.

Dermott had the same A1/60 than Sanheim with a much better A2/60 as you would expect for a player that starts in the defensive zone nearly as often as the offensive zone (Sanheim does not). Dont get how you could hold it against dermott that he is good at making the first pass out of the zone.

Im not saying Dermott is better, never have. I was originally responding to the ask of how did dermott have a better season in the NHL than sanheim to which I replied that in extremely small sample size Dermott appears to have had a better season by every single metric available pretty much. Dermott also had this better season when he was a year younger. Just to reiterate one more time, not saying Dermott is better but he had a better showing in the NHL last year.

Edit: if you want to talk about AHL I would compare the years the players are the same age at which point you see that Dermott produced 0.64 pts/game in the AHL as a 21 year old while Sanheim produced at around 0.49 pts/game at the same age or same draft+ years.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->