News Article: Jets interested in a top 6 forward

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Meh, yes and no. He did hoist it, but he only played 2 regular season games, and 0 playoff games.

1200px-Justin_Abdelkader%27s_Stanley_Cup2008.jpg

Did he get his name on the cup?
Even if he did, I wouldn't think he'd really count this as winning a cup.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Did he get his name on the cup?
Even if he did, I wouldn't think he'd really count this as winning a cup.

I'm 99.9% sure he didnt. Also, agreed. If it were me I wouldn't count it.

From Google:

A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cupif extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.

Reactions: Redder Winger

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If NTC's were pointless, players wouldn't ask for them.

To this and to Winger...

I wasn't trying to say they were pointless. I was more speaking along the lines of what PD and kliq are saying. The fact that 7 guys have NTCs is not a "holy crap, we can't move any players!" Just that most of the time, especially in the position we are in, we're not dumping a Daley to Arizona. We're not trading Abdelkader to rot away in Vancouver. It's generally going to be the big time teams coming to get a bump over the hill to win a Cup. And "a better deal" is relative anyway. If you're dealing.... Green for instance... the price is going to be around a 25-30 1st rounder or 38 and 60 (in a 2nd and 3rd rounder). Maybe a team gives you a 24th OA or 36 and 59. Those are equivalent trades. It's not like one team is going to offer up 50% more than another one.

And even if they did and it was that disparate... you can have the discussion with the player to say "we're giving you the option, so help us out, please" That is part of where the Wings' loyalty could possibly be a good thing.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
To this and to Winger...

I wasn't trying to say they were pointless. I was more speaking along the lines of what PD and kliq are saying. The fact that 7 guys have NTCs is not a "holy crap, we can't move any players!" Just that most of the time, especially in the position we are in, we're not dumping a Daley to Arizona. We're not trading Abdelkader to rot away in Vancouver. It's generally going to be the big time teams coming to get a bump over the hill to win a Cup. And "a better deal" is relative anyway. If you're dealing.... Green for instance... the price is going to be around a 25-30 1st rounder or 38 and 60 (in a 2nd and 3rd rounder). Maybe a team gives you a 24th OA or 36 and 59. Those are equivalent trades. It's not like one team is going to offer up 50% more than another one.

And even if they did and it was that disparate... you can have the discussion with the player to say "we're giving you the option, so help us out, please" That is part of where the Wings' loyalty could possibly be a good thing.

I think the other thing is this.
If I was an NHL hockey player and the team didn't want me or see me as part of their future, why would I want to stay?
I can think of reasons - selling your home, uprooting your kids, etc.
If a team didn't want me, I'd cooperate with them to trade me. But I'd make sure I had some control of the process so I went somewhere I wanted to go.

Reactions: Winger98 and kliq

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Stability, especially for guys with families. The idea of walking into work one day and being told you've been traded to Edmonton or wherever probably isn't too attractive. And with guys like Gator and Helm, they've won their cups, so chasing that probably isn't the same pull as it would be for a guy who hasn't.

I don't think it would be a huge hangup for some guys, but I can see some just not wanting the upheaval at this point.
Yep. Different sport, but Josh McDaniels just turned down a head coaching job with Indianapolis, to stay in New England as a coordinator, largely because of wanting to keep his family where they have been living for several years.

Each person has a different list of priorities, so it's tough to predict with a ''one size fits all" model.

Reactions: Winger98 and kliq

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
OT
I believe Red Wings gave every team member a ring, so Akader should have one.

Not exactly...

Kyle Quincey downplays not getting Stanley Cup ring from Red Wings

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said the team's policy on which players get a ring is clear: They must be with the club all season or play at least one game in the finals. It is management's decision, not something players vote on, as the Post story stated.
"Right or wrong, to get your name on the Cup or to get a ring is something incredibly special,'' Holland said. "If we didn't have some kind of cut off, we'd be giving out a thousand rings.''
Holland said he is aware that Quincey is disappointed about not getting a ring, because Quincey's agent, Pat Morris, brought it to his attention several times.
"But we've won four Cups and a Black Ace has never received a ring,'' Holland said. "Jonathan Ericsson and Jimmy Howard were Black Aces in 2008, they didn't get rings, either.''
Quincey didn't qualify to have his name engraved on the Cup (40 regular-season games or one game in the finals), but he had his day with the trophy in his hometown of Caledon, Ontario.

Abdelkader joined at the very end of the season and played less games than Quincey. By the sound of it, it's possible Abdelkader got a day with the Cup though.. Others in that category would've been Howard, Ericsson, Garret Stafford, Mark Hartigan and Matias Ritola.

I'm 99.9% sure he didnt. Also, agreed. If it were me I wouldn't count it.

From Google:

A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cupif extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.

IIRC, the only Red Wings player from 07-08 that was a "petition" add to the Cup was Derek Meech, who was on the main roster the entire season, but dressed for no playoff games and only 32 regular season games after mostly sitting as the #7 Dman for the first 3/4 of the season, and then #8 after they got Stuart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->