News Article: Jets interested in a top 6 forward

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
The question is why are we not calling up the jets right now and dangling tatar or nyquist for someone like logan stanley ?

Just hate seeing us win games when we should be unloading players and snatching up draft picks and prospects like hungry hungry hippo's.

Jet's are looking for a top 6 and we have a couple that would interest them.

Also penguins are looking for a 4th line center, and we just so happen to have a great 4th line center that should be available.

I'm hoping Kenny starts wheeling and dealing, but i'm doing my best keeping this anger at bay. What do you guys think about this lack of rumors outside of green, or do you believe this is just the calm before the storm where there is smoke there is fire type thing ?

Here is the link to the talk of the jets, was disappointed to not see our boys as possible targets.

How active will Jets be?: Trade deadline fewer than two weeks away

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I'm sure that Kenny will have talks with these GMs at some point between now and the trade deadline (if he hasn't already). Chances are, if some insider got word of this and printed it, the Jets' GM has probably already been making calls to opposing GMs. I'm assuming that Kenny knows the ballpark of what Winnepeg will offer for Tatar or Nyquist if they have any interest in either of them.

I truly believe that Luke could be highly sought after by multiple teams this deadline, he has many of the reliable qualities coaches look for in bottom 6 players come playoff time: defensively responsible, can chip in with some offense, energy player, kills penalties and the dude is sporting nearly a 60% on faceoffs. I think Yzerman should go hard for Luke; if he goes anywhere I am sure he'll make an impact come playoff time- therefore Kenny needs to demand a high price for him, I think there could be a bidding war for his services provided Kenny is willing to ship him off. I think it's more likely teams are interested in Glendening than Nyquist/Tatar.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
The major trades will probably start to happen in another week or so and one big one might create a domino effect. The problem for the Wings is it seems like a lot of teams are sellers.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
The question is why are we not calling up the jets right now and dangling tatar or nyquist for someone like logan stanley ?

Just hate seeing us win games when we should be unloading players and snatching up draft picks and prospects like hungry hungry hippo's.

Also penguins are looking for a 4th line center, and we just so happen to have a great 4th line center that should be available.

I'm hoping Kenny starts wheeling and dealing, but i'm doing my best keeping this anger at bay. What do you guys think about this lack of rumors outside of green, or do you believe this is just the calm before the storm where there is smoke there is fire type thing ?

Here is the link to the talk of the jets, was disappointed to not see our boys as possible targets.

Was it said somewhere that Holland is not talking to the Jets?

razor ray

May 8, 2011
I actually think Arizona is a team Det might be able to work something out with. I know the ownership is willing to part with young prospects or picks for some vet players to start winning games. Look at all their trades last year. Maybe they part with a guy like Domi or a pick for someone like Tartar or Dekeyser. Arizona has plenty of picks and prospects they now need to start winning some games.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I actually think Arizona is a team Det might be able to work something out with. I know the ownership is willing to part with young prospects or picks for some vet players to start winning games. Look at all their trades last year. Maybe they part with a guy like Domi or a pick for someone like Tartar or Dekeyser. Arizona has plenty of picks and prospects they now need to start winning some games.
DeKeyser for Chychrun, No way would DDK waive for Arizona they're far worse then us.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I'd trade AA before the summer. Another shitty contract negotiation and his goal scoring numbers regressing, time to dump him with he has value. The RFA control and the potential he could be better on a different team maybe enough to get a good pick or prospect for him.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I'd trade AA before the summer. Another ****ty contract negotiation and his goal scoring numbers regressing, time to dump him with he has value. The RFA control and the potential he could be better on a different team maybe enough to get a good pick or prospect for him.

He can take us to arbitration; that should put off any sort of hold out or stall in negotiations and an outside party will determine a fair salary. I am concerned about his desire to stay once he is a UFA. Like you and like others, I'm worried he's not happy being here long-term so I say we need to at least entertain any reasonable offers for him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He can take us to arbitration; that should put off any sort of hold out or stall in negotiations and an outside party will determine a fair salary. I am concerned about his desire to stay once he is a UFA. Like you and like others, I'm worried he's not happy being here long-term so I say we need to at least entertain any reasonable offers for him.

Arbitration may not be his best bet, right now his numbers aren't screaming huge pay raise, especially with his advanced and defensive stats being some of the worst in the team and in the league. If there is a young player they can afford to gamble on trading its AA.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

I think Detroit needs to wait for Kane and Paccioretty and maybe Nash to be traded before we trade Tatar and Nyquist.

I'm OK with trading one of them. But it has to be for a decent price.

I really don't understand the rush to trade these guys. Nyquist is 28, Tatar 27.

Older players include:
Zetterberg, Kronwall, Howard, Daley, Ericsson, NIelsen, Booth, Helm, Abdelkader and Glendening.

That's where I'd start.
I'd move Nyquist or Tatar - but only for a real good return.
Frankly, I don't see that happening until the big name wingers are moved.

Reactions: rhef3

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'd trade AA before the summer. Another ****ty contract negotiation and his goal scoring numbers regressing, time to dump him with he has value. The RFA control and the potential he could be better on a different team maybe enough to get a good pick or prospect for him.

It'd be nice to package him up and maybe move up in the draft or get a good young defensman.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Jesus....I forgot half of this roster has NTC’s. It’s going to be painful for awhile.....
Like I said in another thread, Detroit has SEVEN players with full no trade clauses. The league average is 0.94, and the distribution is:
* 19 teams have 0 NTCs
* 6 teams have 1 NTC
* 2 teams have 2
* 1 team has 3
* 1 team has 4
* 1 team has 5
* Detroit has 7

#Facepalm

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Like I said in another thread, Detroit has SEVEN players with full no trade clauses. The league average is 0.94, and the distribution is:
* 19 teams have 0 NTCs
* 6 teams have 1 NTC
* 2 teams have 2
* 1 team has 3
* 1 team has 4
* 1 team has 5
* Detroit has 7

#Facepalm

The sad thing is most of those NTCs are f***ing pointless, because the money and term are essentially no trade clauses.

Reactions: avssuc

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
* 19 teams have 0 NTCs
* 6 teams have 1 NTC
* 2 teams have 2
* 1 team has 3
* 1 team has 4
* 1 team has 5
* Detroit has 7

#Facepalm

Mostly meaningless NTCs, which will end nearer of the contract, or some easier clausules come in play. Contracts would be unprobable to sell in every case, with NTCs or not, so who cares?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Wings are sellers right? Why on Earth would their guys with NTCs block trades to better teams?

To get around an NTC you just talk to the guy. Most of the Wings guys are 100% untradeable even without the clause. Oh, boo boo, we can’t try to dump guys on Arizona because we will be told no.

Right now, we are one of those teams that we consistently took advantage of in rental deals for decades. There is not a chance in hell that a guy like Trevor Daley doesn’t waive his clause if a trade to Pittsburgh is in the offing. If Nielsen is being sniffed after by Toronto or New York or other contending team? I don’t see them complaining. Tatar would probably be dying to go to a move lively place than metro Detroit.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wings are sellers right? Why on Earth would their guys with NTCs block trades to better teams?

To get around an NTC you just talk to the guy. Most of the Wings guys are 100% untradeable even without the clause. Oh, boo boo, we can’t try to dump guys on Arizona because we will be told no.

Right now, we are one of those teams that we consistently took advantage of in rental deals for decades. There is not a chance in hell that a guy like Trevor Daley doesn’t waive his clause if a trade to Pittsburgh is in the offing. If Nielsen is being sniffed after by Toronto or New York or other contending team? I don’t see them complaining. Tatar would probably be dying to go to a move lively place than metro Detroit.
All true, but it still limits the list of suitors to whomever the player is willing to accept. Another team, regardless of their place in the standings, could have a better offer, and the player has all the veto power.

In general, a full NTC is fine for a superstar or other core player that you'd be crazy to trade anyway. But the Wings have several NTCs on players that were never going to be in that category, and it needlessly complicates things in terms of flexibility.

Really, it's the combination of the bloated deals and the NTCs that frustrates me, because Holland easily could have said no to at least 1-2 of these guys, and gone another route, instead of messing things up to the extent that he did.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Stability, especially for guys with families. The idea of walking into work one day and being told you've been traded to Edmonton or wherever probably isn't too attractive. And with guys like Gator and Helm, they've won their cups, so chasing that probably isn't the same pull as it would be for a guy who hasn't.

I don't think it would be a huge hangup for some guys, but I can see some just not wanting the upheaval at this point.

Reactions: jkutswings

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Stability, especially for guys with families. The idea of walking into work one day and being told you've been traded to Edmonton or wherever probably isn't too attractive. And with guys like Gator and Helm, they've won their cups, so chasing that probably isn't the same pull as it would be for a guy who hasn't.

I don't think it would be a huge hangup for some guys, but I can see some just not wanting the upheaval at this point.

Did Gator win a cup?

Helm did. I thought Abdelkader didn't play until 08-09, when we lost.

Regardless, I bet Helm would want to play for the cup.

For Abby? He's from Michigan. He's considered a leader in the organization. He'll probably retire from here and become a front office guy one day, like Draper or Maltby. He's not going anywhere.

Also, as you said, any player with a wife and family has an added barrier, when it comes to waiving an NTC

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Did Gator win a cup?

Helm did. I thought Abdelkader didn't play until 08-09, when we lost.

Regardless, I bet Helm would want to play for the cup.

For Abby? He's from Michigan. He's considered a leader in the organization. He'll probably retire from here and become a front office guy one day, like Draper or Maltby. He's not going anywhere.

Also, as you said, any player with a wife and family has an added barrier, when it comes to waiving an NTC

Meh, yes and no. He did hoist it, but he only played 2 regular season games, and 0 playoff games.

1200px-Justin_Abdelkader%27s_Stanley_Cup2008.jpg

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If NTC's were pointless, players wouldn't ask for them.
It offers players some control, especially when it comes to not being traded out of a great situation to a team like Arizona. But if the GM comes to them and says "we want to move you to this contending team" while the Wings are in the bottom of the standings.. most players would likely go "yeah, fine". Especially veterans who aren't likely to be around when the Wings go on the upswing again.

NTCs aren't meaningless but they're also not as important as people think.

Reactions: avssuc

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It offers players some control, especially when it comes to not being traded out of a great situation to a team like Arizona. But if the GM comes to them and says "we want to move you to this contending team" while the Wings are in the bottom of the standings.. most players would likely go "yeah, fine". Especially veterans who aren't likely to be around when the Wings go on the upswing again.

NTCs aren't meaningless but they're also not as important as people think.

Ya pretty much this. Having a NTC/NMC gives a player the peace of mind to not worry about waking up to seeing they were traded on twitter to who knows where, it gives them control which has to be nice.

I think the only time I can ever remember a player refusing a trade outright, was Joe Thornton a few years back. Players will veto certain teams (ie. Filppula to TO) but its very rare that they veto any trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->