TSN: Jets hoping to re-sign Stastny

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t think they need Stastny TBH and at his age any contract with term is dangerous.

Armia doesn’t play ahead of Roslovic next year on the right side. If they try Perreault with Roslo at C and Armia on the wing it could work but Armia has struggled on the third line.

Armia has struggled on the 3rd line? News to me. He came and went a couple of times last year but I wouldn't say he struggled.

Agree that he doesn't play ahead of Roslovic at RW but it depends on how the lines are constructed.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think you guys need to understand the whole purpose of renting a player. As you’ve seen in this discussion, desired players on high quality teams cannot be fit in easily within the team’s salary cap structure for the full year. You’re looking to move out quality players to free up space for another quality player, and I am not so sure you actually got ahead. Plus, you never know what your actual needs turn out to be part way through the season (injuries, certain players struggling).

A rental usually comes with 50% retained so these high quality teams can afford to stick a quality player onto their roster. They also have a better understanding at the TDL what their needs really are.

I don’t think moving good players out to accomodate Stastney, who is getting old, is the right move. If Little does not rebound (let’s not be so short-sighted with our players who have performed well over the longer duration), then get your rental next year.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Pfffffft you're really gonna act like we didn't win the Jokinen sweepstakes a few years back.
ok. lets see the differences in the "marquee free agents won by winnipeg" section

before i knew about the olli jokinen sweepstakes that winnipeg won: 0
after i knew about the olli jokinen sweepstakes that winnipeg won: 0

Whileee

May 29, 2010
ok. lets see the differences in the "marquee free agents won by winnipeg" section

Looks for list of marquee free agents signed by the Leafs, and....zzzzzzzz....

Reactions: Flyerfan52

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Looks for list of marquee free agents signed by the Leafs, and....zzzzzzzz....
did you fall asleep while typing that sentence? maybe drink some coffee next time or redbull to keep you awake. you may get wings. heck, you will get wings.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
did you fall asleep while typing that sentence? maybe drink some coffee next time or redbull to keep you awake. you may get wings. heck, you will get wings.
Leafs history does that to me.... no stimulant is powerful enough to overcome the ennui...

While I'm awake, have you compiled the list of marquee UFA signings by the Leafs yet?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

He was the best free agent center that year IIRC. His play only dropped off hard that year. It's revisionist history to say he wasn't a big name.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

How many marquee free agents have there been? Like TOP QUALITY free agents that ended up signing quality deals that positively impacted the teams future for many many years. Very few.

I have no problem missing out on 100 different Clarksons and Alzners.

Winnipeg has been a team whose missions statement has always been draft and develop. It's something we've done quite well too.

We will bring in free agents to fill certain holes but those aren't the "marquee" guys.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How many marquee free agents have there been? Like TOP QUALITY free agents that ended up signing quality deals that positively impacted the teams future for many many years. Very few.

I have no problem missing out on 100 different Clarksons and Alzners.

Winnipeg has been a team whose missions statement has always been draft and develop. It's something we've done quite well too.

We will bring in free agents to fill certain holes but those aren't the "marquee" guys.
Thanks for reminding me... the Leafs' boffo UFA signing.... David Clarkson!

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks for reminding me... the Leafs' boffo UFA signing.... David Clarkson!

Of which they got SUPER lucky in being able to trade it off.

Could you imagine their situation if they had Clarkson taking up all that cap space?

I mean....don't get me wrong, every now and then a top top player comes along (i.e. Chara) but for the most part, FA is a time that teams make a lot of mistakes.

I won't lose any sleep if we don't get the opportunity to give Tavares $70,000,000.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Of which they got SUPER lucky in being able to trade it off.

Could you imagine their situation if they had Clarkson taking up all that cap space?

I mean....don't get me wrong, every now and then a top top player comes along (i.e. Chara) but for the most part, FA is a time that teams make a lot of mistakes.

I won't lose any sleep if we don't get the opportunity to give Tavares $70,000,000.
clarkson would still be on the ltir even if we didn't trade him. he'd be on a different team though

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Leafs history does that to me.... no stimulant is powerful enough to overcome the ennui...

While I'm awake, have you compiled the list of marquee UFA signings by the Leafs yet?
I think you are in for a long wait. Someone is too embarrassed to say hainsey.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
If I'm him i take a discount to stay with the jets even if that means signing for like 3.5 or 4 mil

they will definitely win the cup within the next 3 years and a 3 or 4 year contract makes sense for him

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad