Jets Goaltending Logjam: What shall we do?

BrianFromAIH

Long Time Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
Warren, OH, USA
It's not a logjam yet. Pavelecs contract will expire or he will be bought out. Hellebuyck will get some time in the NHL next season. The problem only occurs when all three of Hutchinson, Hellebuyck, and Comrie need waivers. That's 4 years down the road. And it's only a problem if all three are doing well.

This.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Can't see a logjam here. 1 Starter, below average, inconsistent, inadequate. 1 backup, shows potential, unproven. 1 prospect, shows high potential, unproven. 2 more prospects a long way from the NHL. That is not a logjam.

What shall we do? Hope that somebody takes the job from our inadequate starter.

Pretty much this.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
My biggest fear is that if Pavs has an NHL average year he will get extended, count on it. So really the question is what we do with the others.... Who becomes the backup..

Sign the mediocre let the good ones walk... Isn't that how we roll? :sarcasm:

I'll be happy if Pavs has an NHL average year. We probably aren't making the playoffs without it (unless Hutch finds his first half performance with consistency, or Helly takes a few more steps right away). I mean, he temporarily lost the job just last year. We are finally starting to show that we will let vets leave when we have some good youth looking ready to make the jump. Not to mention, if Pavs has something like another .920 season, he may feel he has some value on the market as well. Other than the fact that he got a full time NHL job that his play didn't deserve here, I don't know that he would be eager to extend with Winnipeg if he feels that he has options. Plus I think Chevy is tired of his agent. I'm not counting on an extension.

My biggest fear is that Pavs is Pavs this year. :laugh:

I fear that we sign Jim Slater to a 4x4M contract.

If that was going to happen, it would have happened before FA even started (a la Thorburn last year). Instead they apparently told him that they are looking in another direction. I know people were PO'd in the past because we kept fringe players over giving chances to such prospects as O'Dell, Mahachek, Klingberg, etc. Now they actually have some legit prospects that they have their own stamp on. IMO they will not hold these guys back for struggling vets if they can help it, the way they did in the past.

I wouldn't be shocked if they did eventually sign Jim to a 2 way for a year or two though. Not saying that I approve, but I get the idea of some sort of contingency plan. If not needed (likely) then he wears the polar blue jersey with an angry Moose on it.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Don't see Pavs being extended, unless it is just long enough to be the goalie exposed to the expansion draft.
I was hoping that the expansion draft would be June 2016. Hellebucyk would've played 2 pro years, and still be draft exempt. Now it looks like the expansion draft will be June 2017. That means that Hellebucyk would be subject to the draft. Note that Pavelec would still be counted as "our player" at the time of the draft. The draft usually occurs in June, and Pavelec would be under contract to June 30, 2017 after which he goes UFA (I hope:help:).

The rules last time around (June 2000) were...

• existing clubs can protect on option of
    • either
      • 1 goalie
      • 5 Dmen
      • 9 forwards
    • or
      • 2 goalies
      • 3 Dmen
      • 7 forwards
  • assuming 2 expansion teams, existing clubs can lose one option of
    • 1 goalie and 1 forward
    • 1 Dman and 1 forward
    • 2 forwards
I don't know how things will turn out the next 2 seasons, but right now, I'd protect Hellebucyk, exposing Hutchinson and Pavelec. We'd only lose 1 of them in a worst case scenario. It wouldn't be a good idea to protect 2 goalies, because it opens up our defense and forwards for harvesting in the expansion draft. Comrie and Philips would have 1 or 2 years pro, and be draft-exempt.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I don't have a lot of confidence in Hutch right now based upon his post ASB performance. I think his run is over.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Pav right now based upon his forever performance. I think he will be career average this year which won't get it done in terms of playoffs.

I believe it is possible for us to see Helle this year. If our goaltending is bottom 1/3 of league and we are falling out of contention in the first 1/4 to 1/2 of the season, I could see him getting a shot.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
My biggest fear is that if Pavs has an NHL average year he will get extended, count on it. So really the question is what we do with the others.... Who becomes the backup..

Sign the mediocre let the good ones walk... Isn't that how we roll? :sarcasm:

Not a chance. As blind as this org has been to his faults, they now realize what the rest of the league knew all along -- very average at best & usually well below average. Pavs was booted to the back burner already last year & only survived because Hutch went soft then as well.

With an unproven backup and two very promising prospects, Pavs is see ya come end of his contract if not before

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not a chance. As blind as this org has been to his faults, they now realize what the rest of the league knew all along -- very average at best & usually well below average. Pavs was booted to the back burner already last year & only survived because Hutch went soft then as well.

With an unproven backup and two very promising prospects, Pavs is see ya come end of his contract if not before

Probably.

That all changes if he puts together b2b .920 seasons.

But then he has become a good goalie and we have a logjam in goal. :)

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Probably.

That all changes if he puts together b2b .920 seasons.

But then he has become a good goalie and we have a logjam in goal. :)

Absolutely.

Pavs is what he is, and if what he is, is a league average or slightly above league average goalie, you use him for the duration of his contract.

I think Chevy always had a timeline in mind, for what he believed would be necessary to draft and develop a goalie. Pavs contract was inked to cover that duration.

I am curious to see if he can maintain or improve upon last season. If he does, we probably could move him next season as an expiring contract, to a team that hits hard times between the pipes.

As for the log jam, I do not think we have one yet. Pavs and Hutch earned the opportunity to handle the duties this season, barring horrendous training camps. If either falters this season, you give Helle a shot.

I feel more confident in Pavs maintaining or improving on last season, than I do Hutch finding the form he had early on last season. I would be open to having Helly as our backup next season, if he shows better in TC this year.

Either way, PAvs is your starter or backup for 2 more season. I would be shocked if Chevy ever decided to buy him out, cannot see it happening.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I honestly think it's almost as simple as let the best goalie play every year.

I can certainly see Pavelec being let go when his deal is done. Going with a cheap combination of Hutch, Helle, Comrie or a FA seems the way to go.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It's not a logjam yet. Pavelecs contract will expire or he will be bought out. Hellebuyck will get some time in the NHL next season. The problem only occurs when all three of Hutchinson, Hellebuyck, and Comrie need waivers. That's 4 years down the road. And it's only a problem if all three are doing well.

Yep. And I don't see any changes in the short term. I am confident that Pavelec and Hutch will be here this year - all year.

There is no value in trading Hutchinson at this point. Any return would be tiny and he is still IMO better long term value than Pavelec. The other option is trading Pavelec and I can't see this happening. I can't imagine many NHL GMs would trust a tandem as raw as Hutchinson and Hellebuyck.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
Too many high-upside goalie prospects is a problem I will enjoy when it comes. Goalies are a crapshoot though. They're the only position that can single handedly win games and series, but they're rarely drafted high because you pretty much can't tell if they'll be great or a turd when they're young. It will only become a problem IF Hutch, Helly, and Comrie seem like they're on their way to being all-stars. If we're lucky, 1 out of three will end up being great, and another being good, then the third might get traded for something we need.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Yep. And I don't see any changes in the short term. I am confident that Pavelec and Hutch will be here this year - all year.

There is no value in trading Hutchinson at this point. Any return would be tiny and he is still IMO better long term value than Pavelec. The other option is trading Pavelec and I can't see this happening. I can't imagine many NHL GMs would trust a tandem as raw as Hutchinson and Hellebuyck.

If one or both of them struggle even as much as they did through stretches last year, I definitely expect to see Helly play a few games with the Jets this year. Wouldn't expect anything to happen until Feb at the earliest, but if we're falling out of a playoff spot and one or both are struggling, for sure one gets sent to the A & Helly gets the call

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
If one or both of them struggle even as much as they did through stretches last year, I definitely expect to see Helly play a few games with the Jets this year. Wouldn't expect anything to happen until Feb at the earliest, but if we're falling out of a playoff spot and one or both are struggling, for sure one gets sent to the A & Helly gets the call

If one struggles, I anticipate seeing the other. I doubt either gets waived to call up Hellebuyck unless it is really, really bad.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If one struggles, I anticipate seeing the other. I doubt either gets waived to call up Hellebuyck unless it is really, really bad.

Except you don't have to waive them as there is always nagging injuries. Lower body day to day. Done. Helly is in the lineup.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think many players or agents would take kindly to such a deactivation.

No but if a guy is being bothered by something, which virtually all players are at some point, it is easy enough to encourage some down time to recover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad