NFL: Jets fire Todd Bowles

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Thank god.

Look I get Jets was probably not that good of a team on paper, but it was mind boggling ho undisciplined this team was.

Bowles will probably get a DC gig somewhere.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not surprising

He wasn't given greatest talent to work with but overall his coaching left a lot to be desired especially how undisciplined his team could be

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
His goose was cooked when the Jets blew that game in Buffalo 3 years ago that cost them a Wild Card. All downhill since aside from coaching their underdog team last year to 2-3 more wins than they should have had.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bowles doesn't strike me as a bad coach, but 3 years in a row of 5 wins or less is a lot of rope in retrospect.

Another franchise that fired the coach within a year of drafting the quarterback. Those teams are just asking for it when you don't get your guy early in your regime, at least you can say you had your best shot.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Bowles doesn't strike me as a bad coach, but 3 years in a row of 5 wins or less is a lot of rope in retrospect.

Another franchise that fired the coach within a year of drafting the quarterback. Those teams are just asking for it when you don't get your guy early in your regime, at least you can say you had your best shot.
It really is crazy how many new regimes purposely delay going after a QB. So many of them dress it up as needing to address other needs first, and I think they secretly hope it buys them time. In reality, if you're two or three seasons into being terrible and don't have a QB, it looks like all you did was waste time.

Reactions: Irish Blues

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

This. Bowles will find work quickly.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It really is crazy how many new regimes purposely delay going after a QB. So many of them dress it up as needing to address other needs first, and I think they secretly hope it buys them time. In reality, if you're two or three seasons into being terrible and don't have a QB, it looks like all you did was waste time.
Bill O'Brien has gotten away with it. But they traded another 1st to get Watson, which was a good play to move the goalposts. Nobody wants to hire a new coach and have him waste a year not even having a 1st round pick.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think there's a chance Bowles gets another HC job earlier than people think and maybe is even interviewing for a couple jobs this year.

But yeah, I'll welcome him on the Steelers.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Back to the drawing board for the historic franchise that is called the New York Jets.

....me being a Giants fan, I shouldn't talk since we had our own bad apple that was Bob Crapado the last two seasons.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Thank god.

Look I get Jets was probably not that good of a team on paper, but it was mind boggling ho undisciplined this team was.

Bowles will probably get a DC gig somewhere.

Seriously. Non-Jet fans don't understand just how bad Bowles was and how routinely undisciplined this team was. When you punt the ball down two scores with less than five minutes left (and that happened more than once but the Pittsburgh example a couple years back comes to mind) that's just horrible coaching. When you lose the locker room in Week 3 of a season (2016) that's bad. When you get punked by Rex and a crappy Bills team TWICE in 2015 with an otherwise good team, that's bad.

They won 5 games.

It really is amazing how much the meme about the Jets going 0-16 or 1-15 last year spread to such an extent that people actually thought Bowles was Vince Lombardi going 5-11. I'd like a job with that kind of ridiculous low bar. More like the Jets weren't AS bad as people thought (they arguably could have won another 2-3 games if not for bad coaching) and this year they took a step back with growing pains at QB and the offensive skill players they did have all being hurt.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would have fired him last year too. Usually, a new regime comes in with a new QB.

It seems to happen more and more after the first year of the old regime. McVay and Nagy were both brought in after holdover staffs coached Goff and Trubisky in their rookie seasons. Most likely the Jets now get an offensive coach to take over for Bowles the way those teams did for Fisher and Fox (also defensive holdovers).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad