Jets fan coming in peace

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Nope. Not trading top prospects for 27 year old centers. Schneider is, IMO, the player who will enable us to trade Trouba when his NMC ends. If Schneider develops, he's our only high end D-prospect who brings what Trouba does re: crease clearing, physical play, etc.

And if we're going to cash in a chip like Lundkvist, it (as part of a package) has to bring back a clear top 6 center with first line upside. That's not Copp. You say that you are in the market for a 1RD. How often are prospects with that upside traded for a 3rd line center? And all of that isn't even addressing the likelihood that Copp's career year is due in part to playing in the Canadian division or that he's getting PP time in Winnipeg that he just wouldn't get here. Also the fact that he's soon to be no longer cost-controlled AND is likely to get a bump in pay due to this season. We can't have expensive players in our bottom six.

Nice player, but not for the price you are asking.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hunter Skinner is best RHD NYR can offer
Or Tony D

Nope. Not trading top prospects for 27 year old centers. Schneider is, IMO, the player who will enable us to trade Trouba when his NMC ends. If Schneider develops, he's our only high end D-prospect who brings what Trouba does re: crease clearing, physical play, etc.

And if we're going to cash in a chip like Lundkvist, it (as part of a package) has to bring back a clear top 6 center with first line upside. That's not Copp. You say that you are in the market for a 1RD. How often are prospects with that upside traded for a 3rd line center? And all of that isn't even addressing the likelihood that Copp's career year is due in part to playing in the Canadian division or that he's getting PP time in Winnipeg that he just wouldn't get here. Also the fact that he's soon to be no longer cost-controlled AND is likely to get a bump in pay due to this season. We can't have expensive players in our bottom six.

concur
Rangers do not have surplus blue chip elcs for trade, barely enuf for their own needs.
Nils L and Robertson are off the table.

Did I read that Reunanen shoots L, but can also play RD?
maybe something like
Reunanen + Skinner for Copp + _________

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
concur
Rangers do not have surplus blue chip elcs for trade, barely enuf for their own needs.
Nils L and Robertson are off the table.

Did I read that Reunanen shoots L, but can also play RD?
maybe something like
Reunanen + Skinner for Copp + _________

That's still a no for me. This team has two RHD who are/will be paid like top pair guys soon. It has two LW north of 6million per. Buch, Chytil, Zibanejad, Shesterkin all coming up for raises soon. We can't tie up any excess money in the bottom six. They've got to be home grown or bargain guys, and Copp's year is going to price him out of what we can spend on a 3rd line C. He's just not a fit financially (plus, I'm hoping that Barron can lock down that 3rd line C spot at some point next year).

Reactions: bernmeister

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Copp is good but I'd rather ride out lundkvist and schneider first
This. I admit I don’t know much about Copp but I want the Rangers to develop these guys a bit, first, if the end game is a trade. Right now, we’d be selling low. Which is fine if we’re underselling a couple guys for a star.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That's still a no for me. This team has two RHD who are/will be paid like top pair guys soon. It has two LW north of 6million per. Buch, Chytil, Zibanejad, Shesterkin all coming up for raises soon. We can't tie up any excess money in the bottom six. They've got to be home grown or bargain guys, and Copp's year is going to price him out of what we can spend on a 3rd line C. He's just not a fit financially (plus, I'm hoping that Barron can lock down that 3rd line C spot at some point next year).

concur
I am estimating Strome + Buch go this off season, Zib by next [Zib would need to give only 3 yr extension after his current deal, to which I would go high as 9, but no more than 3 yrs term].

so Strome is not a pivot competing

and I think we give Barron first crack but expect we break him in at W to start.
Barron once at pivot could be a 4C to start behind krav, chytil copp though I think W to start then he takes the job and then Copp goes to 4C.

Copp is a nice add at the right price, but not jumping thru hoops for him.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Not getting a top D prospect for a 3rd line forward who has had one good, not great, offensive year. And it has happened in a weak defensive North Division. Nope, sorry, not gona happen.

Take your Copp elsewhere.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Copp is a younger thicker version of Jesper Fast.

Outliers aside, they have very similar production rates for their careers.

According to original poster, Copp can play up and down the line up as could Fast.

While not someone I go after using top prospects (we have quite a few of those) he would be a solid addition to the bottom 6 with CK and Kravtsov

What I like is the 50%+ on FO's

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Copp is better than Fast. The offense has been more prolific as his usage as gone up. I doubt he gets similar usage here, but when we're talking about possibly moving on from Strome/Buch for more diverse, albeit less offensively potent players, he fits the bill.

I'd love to add him, just not at the expense of Nils/Schneider. I'm all for trading Nils (neither of them are untouchable for me, but I've got major concerns with Nils) this summer, but it has to be for a more impactful piece.

Reactions: Lua and nyr2k2
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Just a Jets fan here coming in peace. Wanted to ask would any of you be interested in a Copp for one of Schneider/Nils as a base trade? Copp and Trouba are bffs, Copp probably is working his way to UFA and you guys are flush with D. Seems like good trading partners. What would it take?

Cheers
I'm not making a trade based in player x and player y being BFFs.

I'm not sure where Copp slides in. Is he definite upgrade from Strome or Chytil?

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Why would the Rangers trade the best D prospect in the WHL this season for a middling veteran? Makes no sense, but I see why the team aiming for the D prospect is eager.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Everything above here is accurate to a T. I’d love to add Copp. Would be an outstanding add to the bottom 2 lines. But At 27, trading Schneider for him can’t be done

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just a Jets fan here coming in peace. Wanted to ask would any of you be interested in a Copp for one of Schneider/Nils as a base trade? Copp and Trouba are bffs, Copp probably is working his way to UFA and you guys are flush with D. Seems like good trading partners. What would it take?

Cheers

An RFA with arb rights who could easily end up with a $5 mil per year cap hit. We’re looking at a bunch of major contacts in the next couple years and holding on to all of Zib, Strome and Buch looks pretty near an impossibility. Adding Copp into that mix isn’t going to make that better.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Cheers
wat?

Like the player but not even remotely close to interested in that 'base'.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Almost no one liked Pionk til he was out of town. 3/4’s of the board would have given him away for dirt. They would rather have kept Tony and Shattenkirk—neither of whom ever penalty killed or were defensively proficient. Now that we have Trouba some don’t want him either. You can’t please some people no matter.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Almost no one liked Pionk til he was out of town. 3/4’s of the board would have given him away for dirt. They would rather have kept Tony and Shattenkirk—neither of whom ever penalty killed or were defensively proficient. Now that we have Trouba some don’t want him either. You can’t please some people no matter.
Trouba is a good defenseman. I would get it if he sucked, or was limited to a 3rd pair role and just used on the PP or something but it’s just odd a guy that would be an asset to almost any team in the league is hated by the few cause he’s overpaid by a mill to mill and a half. I don’t get it. Especially with the lackluster shitty players we’ve seen put on the jersey over the years. The rangers paid for some of his Prime UFA years, contract was pre-covid and the team thought there was no physical chance Schneider would even be on the board. Neil Pionk is a nice little player that moves the puck well, but I make this deal 10 outta 10 times. Let me know when neil holds up to the rigors of an 82- game season plus playoffs and isn’t totally physically exposed. Some jets fans already know it to be an issue. That’s why they are looking for a big RD prospect To REPLACE some of what they lost dealing Trouba. There are 2 guys specifically on here that are down on him so much you would think he left their sister at the altar or something

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad