Speculation: Jets FA/Trade goalie options

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Question: Is Frederick Andersen a better goalie than Jonathan Bernier?

Over the last 4 years he's posted a .918 vs. a .915 for Bernier. His year to year numbers also havent fluctuated that much so I'd say he's a little better. Granted this is his first year as a starter, Bernier also had a good first year as one in Toronto then fell down.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Is elliot available? Didn't calagary just sign him? Won't give up anything significant. Not even close

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
He's a FA this summer I believe.

If they don't make a move on him Chevy and the gang should probably be moved

2.5 million? For decent goal tending is exactly what this team needs
Elliot/Helle would be a solid duo

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Which teams need a starting goaltender this offseason...who's our competition?

Vegas, Calgary, Dallas, Philly, Carolina, Vancouver, Winnipeg.

Vegas will probably address all their needs through the Expansion Draft. They have to take a minimum of 3 goalies in the XD - so they don't need to go after a UFA. They should be looking to trade one of the 3 goalies they pick up in the XD.

Calgary's rumoured to be interested in Bishop.

Dallas has a lot of money tied up in Niemi and Lehtonen, but I don't think they're going to wait on those guys' contracts to expire...I expect they'll do something.

Philly seems to be letting Mason walk. The re-signed Neuvirth but someone was saying they intend to expose him.

Carolina should be looking. They're running on a pretty tight budget though.

Vancouver might re-sign Miller, or maybe he signs as a backup in California somewhere. They might be in the hunt. Markstrom's not the answer.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011

Vegas will probably address all their needs through the Expansion Draft. They have to take a minimum of 3 goalies in the XD - so they don't need to go after a UFA. They should be looking to trade one of the 3 goalies they pick up in the XD.

Dallas has a lot of money tied up in Niemi and Lehtonen, but I don't think they're going to wait on those guys' contracts to expire...I expect they'll do something.

Philly seems to be letting Mason walk. The re-signed Neuvirth but someone was saying they intend to expose him.

Vancouver might re-sign Miller, or maybe he signs as a backup in California somewhere. They might be in the hunt. Markstrom's not the answer.
Great info here. Thank you.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I can see them taking 5 or 6 goalies, depending on who is available, then trading all except one for the farm and two for the team. They will probably have some D men to deal as well.

Raanta and de Haan for us leaving Myers unprotected and sending them Dano, a 3rd rounder in this year's draft and a 1st in next year's draft. Myers becomes the 1RHD for them.
We have de Haan to play with Buff and Raanta to battle Helle. With Trouba taking about 25 minutes and Buff getting about 22 minutes, do we need Myers as a 3RHD to play 12-13 minutes a game?

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
I can see them taking 5 or 6 goalies, depending on who is available, then trading all except one for the farm and two for the team. They will probably have some D men to deal as well.

Raanta and de Haan for us leaving Myers unprotected and sending them Dano, a 3rd rounder in this year's draft and a 1st in next year's draft. Myers becomes the 1RHD for them.
We have de Haan to play with Buff and Raanta to battle Helle. With Trouba taking about 25 minutes and Buff getting about 22 minutes, do we need Myers as a 3RHD to play 12-13 minutes a game?

I'd do it. Vegas will have exactly what we need after the expansion draft.
They'll want prospect/draft picks and we can afford to give it to them.
Raanta and De Hann would be perfect.
I like our 2018 1st, 2017 3rd and Dano like you said. While letting them take Myers. If they want more then the 3rd to a second or throw in Petan/Matthias.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

You know what I would do that as well as much as I hate trading first round picks.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

If they take 5 or 6 goalies the GMs in need of a goalie can collude with each other and just wait them out until 2 or 3 have to be placed on waivers come October.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If they take 5 or 6 goalies the GMs in need of a goalie can collude with each other and just wait them out until 2 or 3 have to be placed on waivers come October.

Once one is traded, the GMs will be lining up for what is left.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Calgary
Dallas
Philly
Vancouver
Winnipeg
Carolina

That's how I'd rank them in order of how likely they are to spend money and term on a goalie and how much the players will want to go there.

Ergo...

Calgary- Bishop
Dallas- Darling
Philly- Miller
Vancouver - Elliot
Winnipeg - Bernier
Carolina - Mason

Just guessing but I could see it shaking down something like this

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners
Calgary
Dallas
Philly
Vancouver
Winnipeg
Carolina

That's how I'd rank them in order of how likely they are to spend money and term on a goalie and how much the players will want to go there.

Ergo...

Calgary- Bishop
Dallas- Darling
Philly- Miller
Vancouver - Elliot
Winnipeg - Bernier
Carolina - Mason

Solid insight here. Minor quibble about Miller, though - I think he's unlikely to be willing to go anywhere but the west coast.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016

No way would I include next years first...
I might offer up this years 2nd and next years 2nd

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
No way would I include next years first...
I might offer up this years 2nd and next years 2nd

With the addition of those guys though our 1st next year would most likely be a late round pick.
I know that draft will be insane though. Question is would you prefer a high 1st round this year or later first round in 2018?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Calgary
Dallas
Philly
Vancouver
Winnipeg
Carolina

Ergo...

Calgary- Bishop
Dallas- Darling
Philly- Miller
Vancouver - Elliot
Winnipeg - Bernier
Carolina - Mason

your top 3 look about right. I assume Calgary and Dallas will do something stupid and overpay/overtrade. also put Fleury in that list, with Dallas or Carolina looking that way.

I really doubt Bernier's coming here. Also odd that Lawless is beating the Elliot-to-Winnipeg drum, as if he's heard enough rumblings to convince him.

Vancouver's really a big question mark. depends which direction they go. i totally see them doing a rebuild. if that's the case, then it won't be Elliot. it may be taking someone via an expansion draft trade i.e. a prospect.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
With the addition of those guys though our 1st next year would most likely be a late round pick.
I know that draft will be insane though. Question is would you prefer a high 1st round this year or later first round in 2018?

I want our 1st round every year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad