Speculation: Jets FA/Trade goalie options

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Made a little chart (didn't translate well from the table it was in so sorry) showing the perceived available goalies either via FA or trade. The sv%/GAA are for 2015/16 and 16/17 respectively. Preface this all off by saying that I'm not a fan of signing the big name FA #1 G's as I feel the team simply needs continued growth from Helley, as well as a reliable backup who can win more than .500 (looking at you hutch).

Curious what other Jets fans think?

Ben Bishop .926/2.06 .906 / 2.52 Salary Range: 5.-7M per over 4+ years
Though Bishop seems like a perennial Veizna finalist (last year excluded) he’s likely to command too much money for an asset that will begin to depreciate fast (numbers last year suggest it’s already started). Signing Bishop also hinders the ability to re-sign at least one of our young talented players or crucial vets like Little or Wheeler.

Marc-Andre Fleury .921/2.29 .909/3.02 Salary 5.75M for 2 more years + cost to acquire him via trade. This one is interesting as he’s got 2 cups and winning pedigree as well as his contract would expire just in time to sign Laine/Wheeler etc. Unfortunately much like Bishop I think Fleury is in decline (already lost his starting Job to Murray) and unless the deal is being made with Vegas (cost goes up mind you) you’d have to either expose Fleury or Helley to Vegas and that just doesn’t make sense.
Steve Mason .918/2.51 .908/2.66 Salary Range:3-5M per over 3+years
Mason would essentially be just an older less potential Hellebuyck but getting paid more. Not much else to say though if gotten cheap enough he’s an obvious improvement on Hutchinson (but that’s not all that hard to be)
Jonathan Bernier .908/2.88 .915/2.51 Salary Range: 3-5M per over 3+ years. If it came down to Bernier or Mason, Think I’d rather have Bernier. Has posted decent numbers but unlike Mason he’s played with the Ducks who are very strong defensively and posted league average numbers. I’d be hesitant to consider him an improvement
Keith Kinkaid .904/2.81 .916/2.64 Salary Range: 1-2M per 2-X years
Kinkaid is a solid backup. He’s studied under Schneider and plays a solid game. His numbers are decent considering he’s played on a poorly defensive team and his numbers might best reflect of any goalie on this list a direct translation (heck maybe even improvement) after switching to the Jets. Yes the Devils were that bad.

Mike Condon .903/2.71 .914/2.50 Salary Range: 1-2.5M 2+years
Another interesting backup option. He could be had very cheaply, and serve as a great option. His numbers are respectable but at 26 years old he’s still young enough he could be improving instead of declining.

Anders Nillson .915/2.63 .923/2.67 Salary Range:1-2M 2+years
Another very tempting option. Nillson plays for a team that’s been just as bad if not worse than the Jets the last few years and has posted some of the better numbers in this list. His low salary would make him by far the best value in this list and his numbers would arguably translate very well to the Jets compared to others who come from better teams.

Scott Darling .915/2.58 .924/2.38 Salary Range: 4-6M 4-6 years
Every teams dream pickup this season. The next Cam Talbot, Devin Dubnyk or Martin Jones…or is he? He’s played on a very good possession team, who keeps shots to the outside and manages the games well. Don’t let that detract from his performance as his numbers are arguably the best on this list but he’s due for a big raise and will command term. There may be a bidding war for him as well. His numbers as mentioned above might also drastically decline when switching to a less skilled defensive team (like the Jets) which would make him my pick for the biggest risk/reward goalie available

Antti Raanta .919/2.25 .922/2.27 Salary Range: 1M for next season + cost to acquire in trade.
This is another interesting option. Depending on what happens in expansion, he might be acquirable from Vegas after expansion. His contract is cheap, he’s got experience behind some of the best in the world (Lundqvist/Crawford) and has a Stanley Cup ring to boot. Much like the Darling case, he’s played on good defensive teams so his numbers might dip hard one the Jets (unless our D improves next year) but his contract makes it more worth the risk than Darling IMO depending on what you’d need to trade to get him?

Connor Hellebuyck .918/2.34 .907/2.89 Salary Range: 1-2.5M 3+years
Helley had a rough year. Fans were down on him for some soft goals which is understandable but his numbers compared to the guys on this list are at least respectable. Especially considering he played as much or more than the others, as well as the fact the Jets defensive system and play constantly left him out to dry. You shouldn’t have to stop a breakaway twice a game and 2+ 2 on 1’s every period. The Jets were bad defensively and Helley didn’t always bail them out but STILL went 26-19-4. He isn’t the problem in WPG…he’s the solution which is why I made this chart in the first place!

BONUS GOALIE “X†.920/2.56 .905/2.83 The years in goalie “Xâ€s row here are NOT from the corresponding years but from his first two years in the NHL (07/08). What they show is that a rookie goalie can and does regress. Those numbers are SO similar to Helleys which is why he’s included. Goalie X is now considered the best in the world and if you hadn’t guessed, those are Carey Prices first two years in the league. I think those thinking we need to go out and get a starting goalie are reaching in all the wrong places. With growth, development, and better defensive systems Helley may very well end up being on the same path as Carey. The jets need to address the defence infront of the goalie, and instead of saying the goalie should have had that, that the team shouldn’t have allowed that chance to happen.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Good work. I think you need to add Grubauer into the same category as Raanta (potentially available through expansion).

A plus with Grubauer is that unless I'm looking at it wrong, you could sign him to a 1 year deal and he'd still be a RFA after.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Good work. I think you need to add Grubauer into the same category as Raanta (potentially available through expansion).

A plus with Grubauer is that unless I'm looking at it wrong, you could sign him to a 1 year deal and he'd still be a RFA after.

seems right. He's more in line with the Raanta and Darling story where he's got a very good team in front of him so it's tough to suggest his numbers wouldn't drop on the Jets.

I also thought of the idea of somehow trading Vegas for Luongo (who should be available via expansion draft as well) and have them retain salary (you could get him as low as 2.6 per for 5 years) and then send them some young prospects and picks while also using that so they don't select a Lowry, Dano, Armia etc.

Say Petan, Kosmachuk, Chiarot, Hutchinson, a 2nd and a 4th for Lunongo and that counts as them also taking Hutchinson in expansion from us while retaining luongo salary to get it to 2.6M per

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I wouldn't mind taking a big swing and getting Bishop or Fleury. But that's mostly because I'm so tired of having questionable goaltending.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
MAF is signed for two more years...Bishop won't sign for less than 4 years.
Halak is the goalie the Jets should be going after and before the expansion draft too.

If we had better goaltending, we could be the team knocking Chicago out.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
MAF is signed for two more years...Bishop won't sign for less than 4 years.
Halak is the goalie the Jets should be going after and before the expansion draft too.

If we had better goaltending, we could be the team knocking Chicago out.

With Halak we'd likely be getting another Pavelec.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I'd be looking for a small commitment. Mason, Bernier, Elliot, and even Halak are options I'd be okay with. Two years preferably, three years maximum.

Goalie X is a UFA in 2018.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'd be a little disappointed with Mason, Bernier or Halak. They would be an upgrade most likely, but none of them have really shown they can be the guy IMO.

It's possible the Raantas and Grubauers, or Darlings can't handle being the guy either, but I'd be willing to roll the dice that one might.

I think the floors of both groups are about the same at this point, but I think there's a better chance that a guy in the second group has a higher ceiling.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I'd be a little disappointed with Mason, Bernier or Halak. They would be an upgrade most likely, but none of them have really shown they can be the guy IMO.

It's possible the Raantas and Grubauers, or Darlings can't handle being the guy either, but I'd be willing to roll the dice that one might.

I think the floors of both groups are about the same at this point, but I think there's a better chance that a guy in the second group has a higher ceiling.

I'm betting on some nice work from Hellebuyck next year. I'm just looking for a substantial upgrade on Hutchinson who can take the net for a couple of weeks if necessary.

That's what the Jets didn't have this past year but needed. They didn't need a 60 game starter.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'm betting on some nice work from Hellebuyck next year. I'm just looking for a substantial upgrade on Hutchinson who can take the net for a couple of weeks if necessary.

That's what the Jets didn't have this past year but needed. They didn't need a 60 game starter.

Agreed, but I think that's the minimum we need. I'd love to find another young guy that can challenge helle for starts. Whomever plays the best plays. If helle turns into who we think, the other guy can still be moved. There's always the chance that the guy brought in could be better long term than helle.

I'm saying basically I'd like two chances that one of them turns into an elite tender.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

This is where I'm at. I'd like to see a clear upgrade on Helly and drop him to #2. If over the next year or so Helly then pushes that player aside and Comrie is ready to backup you move a goalie for other assets. IMO under no circumstances can we wait on a goalie to develop within the organization.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Just want to go on record again and say howard is an option. And if he starts over helle in world championships does that not mean he would be a better option to start here also.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Just want to go on record again and say howard is an option. And if he starts over helle in world championships does that not mean he would be a better option to start here also.

Yeah, and Ryan Murray is better than Trouba. ;)

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Bishop
Miller
Elliott
Bernier
Darling

I'd take any of them in an instant - ideally for smaller dollars or less term. Like 2 years on decent cake or 3-4 years for sub 3.

Wouldn't trade much for Halak or MAF.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed, but I think that's the minimum we need. I'd love to find another young guy that can challenge helle for starts. Whomever plays the best plays. If helle turns into who we think, the other guy can still be moved. There's always the chance that the guy brought in could be better long term than helle.

I'm saying basically I'd like two chances that one of them turns into an elite tender.

Good post. It sums up my thoughts on the matter. If Helle proves the best as soon as next year then hopefully we have 2 good goalies for a couple of years which is a luxury I'll gladly take.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Darling Raanta Grubauer Johnson Bernier Mason are all guys I'd be fine with. People need to get this Halak and Fleury stuff out of their heads cuz in reality it likely won't happen. I think Raanta will be a Jet via trade with Vegas for maybe Phillips Petan and a 2nd as I don't think the Jets are big fans of Phillips and he's kind of a perfect developmental goalie for Vegas

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Darling Raanta Grubauer Johnson Bernier Mason are all guys I'd be fine with. People need to get this Halak and Fleury stuff out of their heads cuz in reality it likely won't happen. I think Raanta will be a Jet via trade with Vegas for maybe Phillips Petan and a 2nd as I don't think the Jets are big fans of Phillips and he's kind of a perfect developmental goalie for Vegas

That is a very steep price to pay for an expendable asset from Vegas. Maybe that's what it takes but that seems pretty damn high.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That is a very steep price to pay for an expendable asset from Vegas. Maybe that's what it takes but that seems pretty damn high.

I'd think Petan straight up or a 2p17 2nd and 2018 third. Similar to other goalie trades.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
No thanks to Elliot.

Haha, the timing is pretty poor, but when he was a true reclamation project earlier in the year I think he was capable of doing what the Jets needed. And obviously available on a short term deal.

Now, who knows what kind of term he's looking for and he's been rather Pavel-icky in the playoffs.

.927 sv%. more then respectable and only 2 years left on contract. if helle starts over him then obviously forget it.

I just meant that I question gauging players based on international usage.

I actually don't mind the idea of a well-retained Howard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->