Jets end-of-regular-season grades

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I know we still have one game left (against the Leafs) but I'm doing the rankings anyways. Here goes...

A

Ehlers: Best I've ever seen him play. He was flying, well he always flies, but this time it produced regular results. And man, for a skinny guy can he ever shoot the puck. Great season.

Lowry: Why is a third line grinder so high you ask? Because he's among the best third liners in the NHL, and he's ours! The most physical Jet on a team that lost way too much of it's intimidation mojo. He's the last muscle left. Plus, he found his offensive upside. I'm sure there will be debate here.

B-plus

Scheifele: Listen, he's our best player (with apologies to Nick Ehlers). If Ehlers is our Rocket Richard, Scheif is our Jean Beliveau. Midway through the season, he was poised for an A or even an A-plus. However, our big slump hurt almost everybody's rankings. Still, he was our most consistent point producer and actually improved his defence during the second half of the season.

Andrew Copp: The only thing keeping him from an "A" is all the chances he missed on. He should have been an "A".

B

Josh Morrissey: This shows a big improvement since he was a C-minus a third of the way through the season. He really picked his game up.

Neal Pionk: He slowed down just a tad the second part of the season, and like I said, the big slump hurt everybody. He was an A-plus the first third of the season. Still, he continued to remind us that we won the Trouba trade in a huge way

Logan Stanley: Yeah, yeah, he didn't rack up the points and he was "somewhat" sheltered, but he blew the top off of the ceiling he was predicted. He played most of the season and made very, very few errors compared to his peers. He showed poise, a physical presence, a booming shot from the point (it is one of life's greatest mysteries why he only got one goal) and an elite outlet pass. Oh, and his stick check was pretty slick too. He gets this grade on the curve. It's not that he's as good as Morrissey or Pionk yet, but he had a great rookie season.

Kyle Connor: Here's another guy who was at least a B-plus until his massive slump. Still, he's one of the slickest forwards in the NHL. He's almost as fast as Ehlers, but a better puck handler. Trouble is, he handles the puck too much.

Paul Stastny: He was a solid pick-up when we almost made it to the finals a few years ago and he's still solid. His great hockey sense often makes up for his slower foot speed and penchant for taking penalties.

Mason Appleton: Mason is what happens when a big, strong player with average coordination knows how to exploit his positives... Go-T0-The-Net (Pierre-Luc, take note).

Blake Wheeler: Did he really play all those games with cracked ribs? Maybe he should have sat. He's a rare Jet who's grade actually improved over the last part of the season.

Connor Hellebuyck: He's a workhorse who continues to bail out defensive breakdowns. However, he let in more weak goals this season than last. Still an elite goalie who can be the difference maker starting next Wednesday.

Laurent Brossoit: Very similar season to last year. Highly capable back-up.

Matty Perreault: In my eyes, he was the third most physical forward after Lowry and Dubois... and he's little! Seemed slow out of the gate, but really showed how valuable he is midway through the season. Great supporting player.

Trevor Lewis: It's a stretch to give a fourth liner with minimal minutes a "B", but his work on the penalty kill and the fact that I really liked our fourth line this year helped.

Dylan Demelo: He stunk when he came late to the season. He eventually got his legs and looked pretty good during the second half.

C-plus

Jansen Harkins: Didn't have a bad season, the limited time he was playing. But he has too much talent to produce so little.

Nate Thompson: Given his role on the team, this is as good a score as he could get. I like his game, he's a good fourth liner.

Derek Forbort: He was looking like a solid "B" the first half of the season, then he started fading fast.

C
Tucker Poolman: Every now and then he makes a great play and you wonder why he doesn't do that more often.

D
Pierre Luc Dubois: Sorry, but based on expectations alone he should get a failing grade. To be fair, he looked solid in between quaratines and his injury, but he's a player who has to work his butt off to be effective. When he's working, he shows glimpses of stardom. When he doesn't, you feel sympathy for Torts. They say that he is a playoff guy, so let's keep our fingers crossed. He has all the tools to dominate. He just needs to play smart and angry.

Nathan Beaulieu: Great team player. Bleeds willingly for the team. Weaknesses were all too apparent during the season.

No Grades
Heinola: Didn't see enough action. Not fair to grade him at this point.
Vesalainen: Same as Heinola. Played much harder from what I did see of him, which was positive.

Coaching Staff
D

Sorry, but this team is far too talented - even with the holes on defense - to have suffered through the slump they went through. No excuses.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I know we still have one game left (against the Leafs) but I'm doing the rankings anyways. Here goes...

A

Ehlers: Best I've ever seen him play. He was flying, well he always flies, but this time it produced regular results. And man, for a skinny guy can he ever shoot the puck. Great season.

Lowry: Why is a third line grinder so high you ask? Because he's among the best third liners in the NHL, and he's ours! The most physical Jet on a team that lost way too much of it's intimidation mojo. He's the last muscle left. Plus, he found his offensive upside. I'm sure there will be debate here.

B-plus

Scheifele: Listen, he's our best player (with apologies to Nick Ehlers). If Ehlers is our Rocket Richard, Scheif is our Jean Beliveau. Midway through the season, he was poised for an A or even an A-plus. However, our big slump hurt almost everybody's rankings. Still, he was our most consistent point producer and actually improved his defence during the second half of the season.

Andrew Copp: The only thing keeping him from an "A" is all the chances he missed on. He should have been an "A".

B

Josh Morrissey: This shows a big improvement since he was a C-minus a third of the way through the season. He really picked his game up.

Neal Pionk: He slowed down just a tad the second part of the season, and like I said, the big slump hurt everybody. He was an A-plus the first third of the season. Still, he continued to remind us that we won the Trouba trade in a huge way

Logan Stanley: Yeah, yeah, he didn't rack up the points and he was "somewhat" sheltered, but he blew the top off of the ceiling he was predicted. He played most of the season and made very, very few errors compared to his peers. He showed poise, a physical presence, a booming shot from the point (it is one of life's greatest mysteries why he only got one goal) and an elite outlet pass. Oh, and his stick check was pretty slick too. He gets this grade on the curve. It's not that he's as good as Morrissey or Pionk yet, but he had a great rookie season.

Kyle Connor: Here's another guy who was at least a B-plus until his massive slump. Still, he's one of the slickest forwards in the NHL. He's almost as fast as Ehlers, but a better puck handler. Trouble is, he handles the puck too much.

Blake Wheeler: Did he really play all those games with cracked ribs? Maybe he should have sat. He's a rare Jet who's grade actually improved over the last part of the season.

Connor Hellebuyck: He's a workhorse who continues to bail out defensive breakdowns. However, he let in more weak goals this season than last. Still an elite goalie who can be the difference maker starting next Wednesday.

Laurent Brossoit: Very similar season to last year. Highly capable back-up.

Matty Perreault: In my eyes, he was the third most physical forward after Lowry and Dubois... and he's little! Seemed slow out of the gate, but really showed how valuable he is midway through the season. Great supporting player.

Trevor Lewis: It's a stretch to give a fourth liner with minimal minutes a "B", but his work on the penalty kill and the fact that I really liked our fourth line this year helped.

Dylan Demelo: He stunk when he came late to the season. He eventually got his legs and looked pretty good during the second half.

C-plus

Jansen Harkins: Didn't have a bad season, the limited time he was playing. But he has too much talent to produce so little.

Nate Thompson: Given his role on the team, this is as good a score as he could get. I like his game, he's a good fourth liner.

Derek Forbort: He was looking like a solid "B" the first half of the season, then he started fading fast.

C
Tucker Poolman: Every now and then he makes a great play and you wonder why he doesn't do that more often.

D
Pierre Luc Dubois: Sorry, but based on expectations alone he should get a failing grade. To be fair, he looked solid in between quaratines and his injury, but he's a player who has to work his butt off to be effective. When he's working, he shows glimpses of stardom. When he doesn't, you feel sympathy for Torts. They say that he is a playoff guy, so let's keep our fingers crossed. He has all the tools to dominate. He just needs to play smart and angry.

Nathan Beaulieu: Great team player. Bleeds willingly for the team. Weaknesses were all too apparent during the season.

No Grades
Heinola: Didn't see enough action. Not fair to grade him at this point.
Vesalainen: Same as Heinola. Played much harder from what I did see of him, which was positive.

Coaching Staff
D

Sorry, but this team is far too talented - even with the holes on defense - to have suffered through the slump they went through. No excuses.

Your rankings seem pretty generous but I generally agree
I'd bump Hellebuyck up to an A though since he's actually our best player, and bump Dubois up to a B-
I don't see Stastny or Appleton there so I'll give them both Bs, pretty decent seasons overall

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I'd bump Hellebuyck up to an A though since he's actually our best player, and bump Dubois up to a B-
I don't see Stastny or Appleton there so I'll give them both Bs, pretty decent seasons overall
Yikes, that's what happens when you do these rankings after a gin and tonic after you put the kid to bed.

I agree and I'll edit... Stas and Apples are solid "B's".

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd give Forbort a C because I thought he was pretty good the first half of the season and helped the Jets rack up enough points to have a huge slide but still make the playoffs.

He really fell off a cliff though.

Pionk gets an A from me. Our best d all season.

Poolman gets an E. Just not good

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'd give Forbort a C because I thought he was pretty good the first half of the season and helped the Jets rack up enough points to have a huge slide but still make the playoffs.

He really fell off a cliff though.

Pionk gets an A from me. Our best d all season.

Poolman gets an E. Just not good
The hell kinda grading system do you have over there in Florida?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You said his rankings were a bit generous - and then bumped several of them up higher. :laugh:

Reactions: GumbyCan2 and Jet

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Everyone who dressed this season

A - Lowry, Appleton, Pionk, Ehlers, Hellebuyck, Laine*
B - Copp , Morrissey, Stanley, Perreault, Stastny, Brossoit
C - Wheeler , Scheifefe, Thompson, PLD, Lewis, Vesalainen, Heinola, Gustafsson, Toninato, DeMelo, Connor
D - Forbort, Harkins, Benn, Beaulieu, Poolman, Niku

* - in the 1 game he played he was our best player. Might have been the best single game anyone played this season for us.

Reactions: buggs

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
After Scheifele got hurt in the first game of the playoffs last year, I said that the Jets still had a chance if their other top scorers pulled their pants up and did what needed to be done.

Ehlers did this. Totally.

Connor...did not. He was utterly inept in that short series against Calgary, at a time when the Jets could absolutely not afford for him to be utterly inept.

I'm not optimistic about their chances against the Oilers, but I do know that if Connor repeats his performance from last year, the chances go from slim to none.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A look at the Jets based on some summary metrics (expected goals and goals above replacement). I think Scheifele grew stronger as the year progressed, especially defensively.

download (88).png

download (89).png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just to reiterate, Scheifele was actually quite good at shot suppression this season. Like all Jets, there was a struggle to prevent high danger shots, but I think it's hard to pin that metric entirely on individual forwards.

download (90).png

Reactions: JetsUK

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
You're an awfully tough grader, although the class ranking seems fairly sound. I wouldn't make any distinctions based on what lines or what roles players have, and I would have been a lot more generous with Perreault and Pionk and certainly not so stingy with the coaches. If the team shouldn't have had the 7-game losing streak it equally well shouldn't have had some of the winning streaks it had, either.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Won't do the plus or minus stuff, just straight letter grades.

A: Ehlers, Lowry, Pionk, Copp
B: Hellebuyck, Scheifele, Stanley, Brossoit, Connor, Stastny, Heinola
C: PLD, Morrissey, DeMelo, Appleton, Lewis, Thompson, Perreault, Vesalainen, Harkins, Forbort (just from the start of the season), Benn
D: Beaulieu, Poolman

If I missed anyone, they're probably a C.

Reactions: TheHead and hn777

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
The D :

A - Pionk

B - Stanley, Heinola, Forbort, DeMelo

C - Morrissey , Benn, Nikku

D - Poolman, Beualiu

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
The Forwards-

A - Ehlers, Copp, Lowry, Appleton, Lewis, Connor

B - Schieffle, Wheeler,

C - The rest

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
You said his rankings were a bit generous - and then bumped several of them up higher. :laugh:

I realised that :laugh:
I guess I somewhat like the elevated rankings, or like looking at the glass half-full, or something like that
Demote Poolman if you want then

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I realised that :laugh:
I guess I somewhat like the elevated rankings, or like looking at the glass half-full, or something like that
Demote Poolman if you want then

There are quite a few Jets who have had good seasons. They aren't the reason we have been bad. I think a lot of the bad comes down to coaching. Poolman should have earned a high mark this year - playing 3rd pair. We saw last year that he was inadequate on 1st pair. That's what we got DeMelo for. Which just brings up another question. Also, why did Beaulieu play as much as he did? And now Benn? I could go on and that is just the D.

CSW matched up against McD? That is a tank move! If we see that in the PO Jets can book their tee times for the 25th.

I hate to keep harping on coaching. Maurice is a smart guy and only has the same faults as virtually all of the other coaches - but the things that are wrong keep coming up, over and over and over. Maybe that is the one fault he has over the rest of the pack. He keeps coming back to what has been shown to not work.

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
Here is the tough question: is PLD salvageable? Would you protect him in the expansion draft? I don't think he would fit into my seven protected forwards right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad