GDT: Jets @ Draft Lottery • Sat Apr 30, 7PM [Jets win 2nd overall!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I wasn't gonna watch but decided to during daddy daughter time lol and not gonna lie when Calgary popped up in our spot, I cheered so loud i made my 17.5 month old cry a bit.. only for a second, but man... What a moment that was. She calmed down immediately, just spooked her but... yup. I cheered hard.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
His defensive play has developed throughout the year, and especially in the playoffs he stepped his defensive game up.
He's not a 2way winger but he's very good at stealing pucks on the bluelines, to anticipate where the pass is going or what move the player is going to make.
He won't stop playing when he doesn't have the puck, you can see him backcheck and block shots.
Thanks. Did you watch him and Pulju go head to head much this year?
Edit: who u like more?

Last edited:

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Hey guys, I haven't been around much since the season ended, but I still can't believe the luck we've fallen into - I'm excited for Jets hockey all over again, and it's only May! Hopefully our influx of forward talent starts to make the Moose somewhat watchable. This is going to be great! Couple questions:

1. Can someone with a bit more knowledge on the top 30 prospects break down some of the players we might take at #22? It sure would be nice to have more players coming up for D than just Morrissey.

2. What would your bottom 6 look like next year, if everything goes to plan? Some might say this is rushing it, but I wouldn't mind seeing Petan play 3C. It would be a much better fit than playing on the 4th was for him last year. I could see:
Perreault - Petan - Armia/Dano
Lowry - Copp - Armia/Dano

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
Has there been any thought about Mathews staying on his current team as opposed to coming to the NHL and making the league minimum....That would be a great seed to plant in the Toronto forum.

Any idea what Mathews is making over there?

Tim

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs fan here, obviously I am happy for us winning the lottery (have been suffering for a long time), but I am here to congratulate all of you for winning the 2nd OA. Please keep in mind that Laine is one hell of a player and I would say this is 2nd Finnish flash that you guys are going to get

Best wishes to Jets fans

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Hey very cool of you to drop by. I know we have debated the hell out of prospect pools so it seems so fitting that we add a new chapter doesn't it :laugh:

Agreed! Now please God can we wait at least a month before we start the Matthews+Rielly vs. Laine+Trouba debates? :laugh:

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Going to be crazy having both Laine and Connor as triggermen.

We're going to be scoring some mad goals in the future.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Has there been any thought about Mathews staying on his current team as opposed to coming to the NHL and making the league minimum....That would be a great seed to plant in the Toronto forum.

Any idea what Mathews is making over there?

Tim

NLA salaries are no where near the NHL minimum. If I had to guess, he's probably making around 300k, which is very much towards the high end of the NLA salary scale.

There is absolutely no way Matthews stays in Switzerland, especially with ZSC. Marc Crawford, who was the main reason the Matthews family chose ZSC, was fired at the end of the season.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
We still have Little as a real good two-way number one as well. The forgotten player in this is Petan who now could absolutely flourish playing between some of the goalscoring talent we have accumulated. I'm not worried at all about our centre depth.

There are a few more question marks around defense and goaltending but I like the talent we have at both positions. We now need Moe to get this team to play more disciplined and for him to design better special teams.

Don't forget about C Jack Roslovic. He lead his team in scoring as a Freshman. Craig Button talked about him since his season ended. He said don't let the numbers fool you. He was the best player on his team, as a Freshman, and has the IQ and processes the game at a high clip offensively and may end up a top 6 Centerman when all is said and done. And he is currently 6'1". Craig also said that he was overlooked because he played with Matthews and Tkachuk in the US development league but was an asset to that line. Not a weak point. He has high offensive setup potential. Is going back to college for another year but most likely will turn pro after that. Talk about another asset for us in trade talks or bringing up eventually. His name is not brought up enough. I figure it's because of where he plays and his numbers not being eye popping. But I think he surprises once he gets here.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'd be very interested to see how much we can move up by offering either the 22nd pick and the 2nd rounder, the 22nd pick and a prospect, or all three.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'd be very interested to see how much we can move up by offering either the 22nd pick and the 2nd rounder, the 22nd pick and a prospect, or all three.

Only if it's for a really good LHD prospect. But I bet that's what you were getting at. TBH I don't think we need a roster LHD.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015

Mid first round maybe. But no reason to trade up when we have a knack for players falling to us. I would bet on the same happening at 22. A guy we all figured wouldn't be there.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Thanks. Did you watch him and Pulju go head to head much this year?
Edit: who u like more?

Yeah I tried to follow them a lot and went to see them live at the WJC 20.
They are very different prospects and right now Laine is ahead of Pulju, but they've been challenging each other throughout the year, it's more of who do you think fits your team better, and I said last night that I think Laine is a perfect build for Winnipeg.

I'm high on both but for Jets I'd take Laine.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think Chychrun falls, probably to 12 or so, I'm not sure it would be worth it to trade up to get him, I mean, I don't know much about the guy, But a guy that lots of "experts" have falling that far, Something has to be off. I mean i'm sure he's a good player but would he be guaranteed to be the 1. best d man taken in the draft? and 2. Would he better better than the 2 players we could get at 22 and 36? I'm not sure.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Chychrun falls, probably to 12 or so, I'm not sure it would be worth it to trade up to get him, I mean, I don't know much about the guy, But a guy that lots of "experts" have falling that far, Something has to be off. I mean i'm sure he's a good player but would he be guaranteed to be the 1. best d man taken in the draft? and 2. Would he better better than the 2 players we could get at 22 and 36? I'm not sure.

Sounds like fowler
But I doubt he falls that far, he's number one d on my list anyway

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
NLA salaries are no where near the NHL minimum. If I had to guess, he's probably making around 300k, which is very much towards the high end of the NLA salary scale.
In Finland the top players are making around 350k$/year. There's a lot more money in the NLA so I think it's safe to say he would make at least 500k$ if he chose to stay. But I agree, he will not do that.

Something about Laine too. Teppo Numminen was interviewed this week during the last game of FEL finals. He said that Laine definitely was the best player on ice and that Laine probably doesn't even know yet how good he is. Also said that he reminds Teemu in the way he can score from not that great opportunities. Teppo also said Patrik looks like Mario Lemieux with his size, the right-handed shot and how he seems slow while he's really going fast on the ice.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Sure but lots of experts have Juolevi ahead of him, and Sergachev close by...

I mean, Couldn't a guy like Fabbro or Bean fall to 22? who is to say they aren't the best D taken in the draft in a couple years time.

Then at 36, You could have a guy like Kale Clague who looks damn good with Brandon.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
Yeah I tried to follow them a lot and went to see them live at the WJC 20.
They are very different prospects and right now Laine is ahead of Pulju, but they've been challenging each other throughout the year, it's more of who do you think fits your team better, and I said last night that I think Laine is a perfect build for Winnipeg.

I'm high on both but for Jets I'd take Laine.

I think you are absolutely right Laine is exactly what the Jets need to round out our top six.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Of course!

If for no other reason than a majority of Leafs and Jets posters rescinding their votes if the Leafs opt for Laine in the draft.:laugh:

Doesn't stop there though...

Matthews+Reilly+Marner vs. Laine+Trouba+Connor

Matthews+Reilly+Marner+Nylander vs. Laine+Trouba+Connor+Ehlers

Matthews+Reilly+Marner+Nylander+Brown vs. Laine+Trouba+Connor+Ehlers+Scheifele

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
In Finland the top players are making around 350k$/year. There's a lot more money in the NLA so I think it's safe to say he would make at least 500k$ if he chose to stay. But I agree, he will not do that.

I live here and am a STH for Lausanne HC. The 300k I quoted was CHF, I should have mentioned that.

I'd be surprised if ZSC were interested in offering 500K for him to stay. Hockey is a big sport in Switzerland but Matthews really didn't generate much of a buzz to be honest. For example, Hiller signing with Biel was a lot bigger deal.

To be offered 500k in the NLA you either have to be a brand name Swiss player, or really be able to carry a team to success. Being able to speak one of the national languages also helps.

Matthews had little brand name value in Switzerland and in terms of the on ice, he was very good, but not much more than many other North American floating around European hockey that have fewer options.

My general opinion of Matthews in Zurich is that Crawford was really really pushing for it. Left to their own devices I don't think ZSC would have ever ended up with Matthews.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
God damn as a Leafs fan im happy for you but already getting jealous of Laine...the guy looks like an absolute beast. Not gonna be surprised at all if he ends up with the best career from this draft class.

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
Well ho ly ****. How about that?!

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=115613695&postcount=139

I left the webpage loaded on pg 5 of this thread before work & when I was done the night shift I hit refresh and figured something significant happened when it said there were 30-some pages in the thread....& then I read the modded title. Thanks for the spoiler, whoever's idea that was. ;) How long is this going to take me to read through now? :laugh:
That was a nice surprise to come back to. A lotto pick!
I would have lost my **** seeing that Calgary card being flipped over & 6.
So the deuces are wild and we end up with picks 2 & 22. That's some serious draft feng shui. Outstanding!
And to think that we had better odds than Toronto at that first overall pick with the last ball to be pulled. Wow.
I was fascinated with the odds of this, and how they change after each draw. Here's the number summary using http://nhllotterysimulator.com.

sBDFrur.jpg
GuLPetz.jpg
bhDHXyF.jpg
l9xzdtJ.jpg

What a great day.
GJG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad