Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 5-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Would this be the worst game Schmidt has played for us? He is usually such a horse and so smart, that I can’t but think that he got hit hard by the virus.

The way he’s been so gassed post covid is just very uncharacteristic.

Still really glad to have him on the team, but I do miss Tanev and would have gladly had both.

Graovac with another solid game. Physical, fast, and pushing the play up ice. Hopefully we keep him around for bottom 6 role.

Him, Miller, and Horvat were our only players with an edge this last game. Our D is so soft apart from Hamonic. Edler would be hitting but he can barely keep up with the play.

But a loss at this time is for the best for the draft, but would be even better with a new GM.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
COVID is a lame excuse because it happened when the team was already 70% of the way through a terrible season and were overwhelmingly likely to miss the playoffs anyway. If you want to use it to excuse some poor results in garbage time like last night ... fair enough. But as soon as you bring it up to defend the team's overall performance this season ... nope. No f***ing way.

It's doubly lame because COVID saved their season last year when they were free-falling, and then set up the bubble situation where they beat a team that had their own major COVID issues including to the goalie who put an .850 on the board in the series.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Jumping ahead to tomorrow, but it looks like the Flames are icing their main lineup (except Monahan, out for the season)..
Flames fans unhappy, as it could adversely affect their draft position.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When it comes to playing defense in the NHL, I'm convinced VanCity is the equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle....it's the place where solid, veteran d-men sink like a stone and become part of Davey Jones Locker.

How else to explain what's happened to Schmidt this year? Have to admit, I joined the chorus of cheerleaders seriously pumped that the Canucks had plucked Schmidt from the Knights for a third rounder in 2022.

But there's no way of sugar-coating it, he's had by and large a miserable year in Vancouver. I think part of the problem is that he's running around too much trying to compensate for the defensive mistakes of others. But he's also come up with his own share of defensive brain-cramps. And last game paired with the seriously declining Edler, might have been one of his worst.

I still think Schmidt will be better in his second season on the Canucks blueline. I mean he can't help but be better. But it also wouldn't surprise me if the Canucks were to trade him for help elsewhere on the roster. I'd actually rather have Hamonic back if it comes down to a choice of veteran blueliners.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
When it comes to playing defense in the NHL, I'm convinced VanCity is the equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle....it's the place where solid, veteran d-men sink like a stone and become part of Davey Jones Locker.

How else to explain what's happened to Schmidt this year? Have to admit, I joined the chorus of cheerleaders seriously pumped that the Canucks had plucked Schmidt from the Knights for a third rounder in 2022.

But there's no way of sugar-coating it, he's had by and large a miserable year in Vancouver. I think part of the problem is that he's running around too much trying to compensate for the defensive mistakes of others. But he's also come up with his own share of defensive brain-cramps. And last game paired with the seriously declining Edler, might have been one of his worst.

I still think Schmidt will be better in his second season on the Canucks blueline. I mean he can't help but be better. But it also wouldn't surprise me if the Canucks were to trade him for help elsewhere on the roster. I'd actually rather have Hamonic back if it comes down to a choice of veteran blueliners.

Schmidt has played completely differently here than in Vegas.

There he played like a mini-Niedermayer - constantly using his superior skating to join rushes and support the play while still being able to easily get back and recover. Was a dynamic player and his skating constantly popped when you watched him.

Here he's been far more static and has hardly used his skating ability at all. Rarely joins the rush. It really does look like it's been coached out of him here or he doesn't fit whatever system we're trying to play.

For the record, I disagree that he's been bad in any way though. He's playing extremely tough minutes and zone starts and has basically sawed off an even goal differential in those minutes.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
COVID is a lame excuse because it happened when the team was already 70% of the way through a terrible season and were overwhelmingly likely to miss the playoffs anyway. If you want to use it to excuse some poor results in garbage time like last night ... fair enough. But as soon as you bring it up to defend the team's overall performance this season ... nope. No f***ing way.

It's doubly lame because COVID saved their season last year when they were free-falling, and then set up the bubble situation where they beat a team that had their own major COVID issues including to the goalie who put an .850 on the board in the series.
At 16-18-3 before the break..were they 'overwhelmingly' going to miss the playoffs..?..I dont agree with that..Both goalies were rounding out , and they had an entire week off coming up, after being gassed in the last two games leading up to the break (against the Jets)...They had a winning %of .637 during March.
The Habs, and Flames both foundered badly..and a covid fatigued Canuck team could do nothing about it.

This has been a crappy season, and do the Canucks deserve to be playoff team this season..?, definitely not..but could they have made a run for that last playoff spot, or made it interesting....I think so..

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The Canucks were clearly done pre-covid.

They relied on an unsustainable sv% from Demko for a handful of games to crawl the standings a bit, but they were done.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Schmidt has played completely differently here than in Vegas.

There he played like a mini-Niedermayer - constantly using his superior skating to join rushes and support the play while still being able to easily get back and recover. Was a dynamic player and his skating constantly popped when you watched him.

Here he's been far more static and has hardly used his skating ability at all. Rarely joins the rush. It really does look like it's been coached out of him here or he doesn't fit whatever system we're trying to play.

For the record, I disagree that he's been bad in any way though. He's playing extremely tough minutes and zone starts and has basically sawed off an even goal differential in those minutes.
He jumps in here plenty. No team structure to protect him when he does though.

I still feel like you over evaluated this player. I can honestly say he was not a standout when they played the Canucks.

He looks a decent #3.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Holy this forum man. Good times.

while we’re at it shouldn’t this conversation be controlled and forced Into the covid thread ?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He jumps in here plenty. No team structure to protect him when he does though.

I still feel like you over evaluated this player. I can honestly say he was not a standout when they played the Canucks.

He looks a decent #3.

I watched a lot of Vegas games over the previous 3 years and consistently found him to be one of the best players on the ice.

Maybe I did? But what I've seen here is not what I saw there. And his offensive production has fallen nearly in half.

Reactions: I am toxic

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I watched a lot of Vegas games over the previous 3 years and consistently found him to be one of the best players on the ice.

Maybe I did? But what I've seen here is not what I saw there. And his offensive production has fallen nearly in half.
Schmidt was a great RD beside McNabb. They formed the shutdown pairing while Theodore and Martinez were the offensive pairing. I remember how Vegas used their D pairings in the playoffs as we played them in a game 7.

They had Whitecloud and Holden on the 3rd pairing. It's just amazing how well Vegas plays with mediocre players truly. With Gallant was more impressive because they had less elite talent, but still with DeBoer playing real good hockey.

I agree with your take on Schmidt in Vegas. Our forwards don't support like Vegas, we need more character guys like Motte.

Reactions: MS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad