Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 5-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
agreed.

but none of the replacement guys have shown me they are nhl players. in fairness to them, they are role players with no defined role on this team fitting their talents to play from which they could build. we have no grinding for them to do. a guy like graovac could be a useful player if he played a disciplined defensive role and picked his spots to be creative a few times a game. instead he's out there trying to be denis savard, when he is, at best, sean matthias.

it is sort of like what happened with megna and chaput. they were great roleplayers put into roles way over their heads, and so they became irritating reminders we lacked talent. in this case, the bottom six is just not being played as a bottom six. they are all out there trying to score every shift and they look awful not doing that.

I think guys like Graovac, Highmore, MacEwen, and Hawryluk have at least flashed at times enough so that if they were battling at camp for the 12th/13th/14th forward spots that would be okay.

I don't think Vesey, Boyd, and Michaelis have shown anything to suggest they should be offered new contracts. Lind has shown nothing as well and is likely destined for the AHL.

I didn't mind Chaput that much, at least as a 4th line guy. Megna was not an NHL player.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think guys like Graovac, Highmore, MacEwen, and Hawryluk have at least flashed at times enough so that if they were battling at camp for the 12th/13th/14th forward spots that would be okay.

I don't think Vesey, Boyd, and Michaelis have shown anything to suggest they should be offered new contracts. Lind has shown nothing as well and is likely destined for the AHL.

I didn't mind Chaput that much, at least as a 4th line guy. Megna was not an NHL player.
Highmore has a NHL contract that runs thru the next season as well. Need to have those fringer NHLers locked in! Benning style!

Reactions: mathonwy

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Vesey has been absolutely brutal since he joined the team. He won't be in the NHL next season. That said, he is not the worst Canuck skater this season. Would make an interesting poll question! I'll go with Michaelis. While there may be some untapped potential that can be developed in Abbotsford, he does absolutely nothing. Highmore is bad but at least he plays with max effort. Chatfield is also really bad but at least he... Holtby has, for the most part, been brutal. Yeah, someone should make a poll!
Vesey, Michaelis, Boyd are injury filler..I'm not expecting them back next season...I have zero issues with Chatfield as a #8 D man..Holtby started to pick up his game just before the covid break, and has demonstrated he can carry the load (He had a better save % than Demko a week ago)..Last nights game , he was literally held out to dry.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Wait, this is a thing as an excuse?

We've used 35 players. Toronto is leading our division and have used 37.
I listen to Joey ? last night and he proceeded to go on and on about how the number of players injured was worse for the Canucks than other teams.
Really the only player that may have had an impact was Pettersson, the rest hardly ever scored and mostly are roster fillers now.
Green has gotten some pretty good support considering.
Torts missed the playoffs once by only a few points and Green has never coached a team that earned a playoff spot, last year was a fluke.
Fans are even surprised the team didn't do as good as last year, I am baffled how they could think it could better, same as next year, another step back unless there is a new GM that resumes a rebuild. Just too many NHL players needed on this team for playoffs.

Beware the Calgary conundrum.

They had their 2 stars that were not quite stars and the team has spent 4 years putting the square peg in the round hole. Every year Gaudreau gets pushed out of the playoffs, I mean he doesn't score, he gets run over.
Calgary just doesn't have enough of the top end. The bottom 8 are good and 4 of the dmen with superior goaltending.
Just enough to keep them in the mushy middle, they are "almosts" in just about every category. At least they don't sell prospects that will never make a difference for years on end until they play.

Vancouver has been sold on 4 players being the young guys that in 2 years are the age group Benning was jettisoning because he wanted to get younger, which never happened.
Horvat, Miller and Boeser are all players that should be trade assets if offered enough.
Miller was top FO guy in Tampa and 3rd line center but could be top two in Calgary or Buffalo, some other teams as well Hughes has to go while the iron is hot, he is great for the regular season as a fan favourite and attraction but he is not worth all the effort needed to protect him defensively in the playoffs.
The PP was good before he got here and has declined since.

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
Wait, this is a thing as an excuse?

Of course they're using it. Everything is an excuse with this management and their supporters.

But injuries.
But the schedule.
But the travel.
But the refs.
But Covid.
But Gillis.
But Linden.
But Blueberry.

Seven years and not once has Benning and Friends ever taken responsibility for anything. Anything positive and Jimbo gets the credit. Anything negative they blame someone else. And when an initially positive thing proves to actually be a negative once enough time passes then it magically moves from the Benning column to the someone elses fault column.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I listen to Joey ? last night and he proceeded to go on and on about how the number of players injured was worse for the Canucks than other teams.
Really the only player that may have had an impact was Pettersson, the rest hardly ever scored and mostly are roster fillers now.
Green has gotten some pretty good support considering.
Torts missed the playoffs once by only a few points and Green has never coached a team that earned a playoff spot, last year was a fluke.
Fans are even surprised the team didn't do as good as last year, I am baffled how they could think it could better, same as next year, another step back unless there is a new GM that resumes a rebuild. Just too many NHL players needed on this team for playoffs.

What a BS excuse.

Our defense and goaltending have basically completely healthy all year outside of one injury to Hamonic.

Our top-6 wingers have been healthy all year.

We've had one major injury to Pettersson and then some injuries to overpaid 4th liners.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
we have 6 replacement forwards who are not prospects and were not starters on opening night, but our defence still looks like our starting defence and we still have both goalies.

i guess you can add a big covid recovery asterix to that but the main deficit is forwards.

the missing starter forwards right now
pettersson
sutter
beagle
roussel
virtanen
motte

and bailey would have been an early sub

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
we have 6 replacement forwards who are not prospects and were not starters on opening night, but our defence still looks like our starting defence and we still have both goalies.

i guess you can add a big covid recovery asterix to that but the main deficit is forwards.

pettersson
sutter
beagle
roussel
virtanen
motte

Beagle, Roussel, Virtanen 103 man games 7 goals 6 assists.

avg 34 games 2 goals 2 assists

Hawryluk, Graovac, Macewan 65 man games 5 goals 3 assists

The team sucks with both groups on the 4th line. One costs $9m the other under $3m.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Of course they're using it. Everything is an excuse with this management and their supporters.

But injuries.
But the schedule.
But the travel.
But the refs.
But Covid.
But Gillis.
But Linden.
But Blueberry.

Seven years and not once has Benning and Friends ever taken responsibility for anything. Anything positive and Jimbo gets the credit. Anything negative they blame someone else. And when an initially positive thing proves to actually be a negative once enough time passes then it magically moves from the Benning column to the someone elses fault column.
Intellectual dishonesty.

Used for pushing agendas and shilling.

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
What a BS excuse.

Our defense and goaltending have basically completely healthy all year outside of one injury to Hamonic.

Our top-6 wingers have been healthy all year.

We've had one major injury to Pettersson and then some injuries to overpaid 4th liners.

It just highlights how god awful the depth is on this squad. One injury here or there = crippled.

Anytime someone mentions injuries as an excuse, I like to bring up the fact that Bieksa , Hamhuis, Rome, Edler and Salo missed extensive time in 2010-2011 regular season, but that f***ing team somehow won the PT and made it to game 7 of the SCF due to good depth.

Stamkos, a normally 40 goal scorer was out for Tampa Bay and they won a cup.

The media here will bring out any excuse. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana and MS

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I think the team gets deflated the moment they hear that Holtby is starting. I know I do.

That's because if Demko is starting then it's not a no hope loser type game. He doesn't get those games, they are reserved for Holtby (who actually made some great saves tonight especially considering that his team did absolutely nothing in front of him). Team has no heart whatsoever.

edit: just checked this: out of 9 second of back to back games we've played this year Holtby has played 5, 4 of them on the road (the worst) and two of them were wins. Demko has played 4 split between home and road games and hasn't won one. Still feeling deflated about Holtby?

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

But injuries.
But the schedule.
But the travel.
But the refs.
But Covid.
But Gillis.
But Linden.
But Blueberry.

All those could be considered 'excuses'..the 'but covid' one is pretty lame..IMO...Has nothing whatsoever to do hockey/pro sport.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
All those could be considered 'excuses'..the 'but covid' one is pretty lame..IMO...Has nothing whatsoever to do hockey/pro sport.
You see, there was this little boy who cried wolf but when the villagers came running, there was no wolf. This happened year after year after year. Eventually a f***ing wolf actually showed up. Yet the villagers couldn't give a shit.

Moral of the story? The little boy needs a couple more years to figure it out.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

pettersson
sutter
beagle
roussel
virtanen
motte

Apart from maybe 2, how much of a difference is there, except the millions paid?

Really bad evaluation skills.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

pettersson
sutter
beagle
roussel
virtanen

motte

The bolded are diarrhea players that don't move the needle at all.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Apart from maybe 2, how much of a difference is there, except the millions paid?

Really bad evaluation skills.

i didn't evaluate anything in that post. i just recited facts. but since you ask, the team is pretty obviously worse right now than it would be with those six in the lineup.

a debateable issue i certainly see is whether there is a better way to spend the money to make the team better than on those missing 6 players and get a better bang for the buck

but nobody watching the canucks right now can seriously debate the canucks got some bang for the buck from those six players compared to the stuff they have scraped up to replace them.

Reactions: theguardianII

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Ah yes the bang for the buck of a rotation of terrible players overpaid or under that has led to 5 out of 6 years of missed playoffs and the one year they made it they were saved by Covid. At best you can argue what covid giveth it also taketh away. So still 5 out of 6.

A constant in that time is a terrible bottom 6, a terrible blueline and no organizational depth.

Reactions: I am toxic

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You see, there was this little boy who cried wolf but when the villagers came running, there was no wolf. This happened year after year after year. Eventually a f***ing wolf actually showed up. Yet the villagers couldn't give a shit.

Moral of the story? The little boy needs a couple more years to figure it out.
Who cares...?..point is..using 'but covid' along with the 'but Gillis, Linden, injuries etc just demonstrates a complete lack of common sense..

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Who cares...?..point is..using 'but covid' along with the 'but Gillis, Linden, injuries etc just demonstrates a complete lack of common sense..
Nah, it just shows that there is no accountability within the organization and that fans are tired of having to do the work for the management team and decypher what is real and what isn't.

It is literally the story of the boy who cried wolf. Keep crying about things that aren't true then a real situation happens and you don't have the support you feel like you should. Too bad. Your bed.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Nah, it just shows that there is no accountability within the organization and that fans are tired of having to do the work for the management team and decypher what is real and what isn't.

It is literally the story of the boy who cried wolf. Keep crying about things that aren't true then a real situation happens and you don't have the support you feel like you should. Too bad. Your bed.
Who gives a f*** about the organization and the team, and your insatiable bellyaching about them...Covid is no joke, and players (and families)were laid out with it.. They were on the receiving end of a variant that was 2.5 times more transmissible..

What if half the team came down with some other contagious disease..or affliction?

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Who gives a f*** about the organization and the team, and your insatiable bellyaching about them...Covid is no joke, and players were laid out with it.. They were on the receiving end of a variant that was 2.5 times more transmissible..

What if half the team came down with some other contagious disease..
The wolf is no joke. It kills people.

I don't find it shocking that you can't follow that though.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->