Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 4-3 (OT) (Pettersson x2, Sutter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
we're basically 9 points back right now

if we don't win like 4 of the next 5, it's going to be 100% over
tenor.gif

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
EP40 , pay that myan heeeees meyoney

QH43........nope.

Literally backwards. Quinn is leading Dmen in scoring. He’s been admittedly weak defensively all year, but he’s very young and has strength to gain. Being partnered with Jordie Benn and even Hamonic doesn’t help his cause at all. He needs a bigger, defensively responsible RH partner with higher IQ to keep up with him. His style is a bit reckless, but he’s kind of like the Patrick Kane of defence; fun to watch and incredibly dynamic.

Petey has magic hands in-tight, and elite level shot (top 5 in the league), but can’t drive play at his weight. He’ll score 40 in his prime, but he’ll always need a play-driving winger.

They’re both franchise players, but Hughes is the one with the highest upside.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Overall far better effort tonight and against the Jets in general this season. For some reason, against us the Jets are flubbing simple plays and making the same idiotic mental errors that plagued us early on.

--PLD: beast. Remind me...which player did we get from that draft...can't remember...

--Pettersson and the top line regaining form. Pete's second goal was ridiculous. PP that tied the game looked as calm and efficiently predatory as I've seen them this year.

--Hoglander. Damn I love this kid. Never expected him to be this much of a finished product this soon. All I hope for him is that he keeps going.

--This team really sucks at developing any player who isn't a finished product at 18, 19.

--Hotlby sucks.

That is all.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Overall far better effort tonight and against the Jets in general this season. For some reason, against us the Jets are flubbing simple plays and making the same idiotic mental errors that plagued us early on.

--PLD: beast. Remind me...which player did we get from that draft...can't remember...

--Pettersson and the top line regaining form. Pete's second goal was ridiculous. PP that tied the game looked as calm and efficiently predatory as I've seen them this year.

--Hoglander. Damn I love this kid. Never expected him to be this much of a finished product this soon. All I hope for him is that he keeps going.

--This team really sucks at developing any player who isn't a finished product at 18, 19.

--Hotlby sucks.

That is all.

I think we drafted Matthew Tkachuk.

Yeah that sounds about right.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
That was a sh$*ty result given the game the Canucks played with the Jets only showing any life in a couple of bursts where they score three goals. Canucks were the far better team on the ice in a game where the refs let everything go until the 3rd. Way more high danger chances and it shouldn't have been a particularly close result. Holtby didn't do enough and those goaltending margins are pretty slim. The Canucks obviously also can't seem to bury enough of their chances.

The Canucks have played so much better since that last game in Toronto and I don't think they were as bad as they appeared to start the season but just don't have much runway left. As was blindingly obvious a bad start in a shortened season is hard to overcome. In the past 7 games at 5v5 they have:

Corsi: 54.6% - 4th in the league
Fenwick: 55.3% - 2nd
Expected Goals For: 56.6% - 2nd
Scoring Chance For: 54.6% - 4th
High Danger Chance For: 53.7% - 10th
Save %: 0.909 - 23rd
PDO: 0.961 - 27th

Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

PowerPlay: 18.2% - 21st
PenaltyKill: 89.5% - 5th

That start was a collective failure of the whole franchise. Management for handling player relations so poorly with the team's free agents and communicating with their players in general in the offseason that I believe it affected morale coming into the season. Coaching for inexplicably waiting so long before making adjustments to a more structured approach rather than letting their players run around for 14 games. And the players for being far too casual and generally not being prepared. Every team had some roster turnover and no preseason so that's not an excuse. It's all extremely frustrating.

Roussel looks really poor, he just doesn't make good enough decisions with the puck. I'm convinced Gaudette will somehow never score again even though he has been much better since moving to the wing. They need more production from the bottom 6 and I think the best chance of getting it is playing someone else with Gaudette and Sutter. This is where Motte could have been important.

For as well as the Horvat line does in controlling play and creating chances they need to start burying their chances. They play so well and it frustrating.

Last edited:

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
About as well as they can play and still lost.

Good

Pettersson - actually had a rough game in many areas. Still flubbing passes and losing the puck as he skates into trouble. Number of times the play died on his stick again. However, without his two world class goals, Canucks don't get anything.

Hughes - him and Benn formed a better duo in their end (partly b/c of match ups) and Hughes critical in the late game push

Sutter - strong effort. Produced some offense and strong on the PK and in other defensive situations. Fact he scored is a departure from how weak the bottom six have been offensively. That we have only 6 goals in 22 games from the other five 3th and 4th liners in this game illustrates this.

Bad

Gaudette - accomplished nothing and very weak along the boards.

Schmidt - too many mis-plays in his own end. Thought he was the weaker part of the Edler -Schmidt pairing. Jets present tough match ups and Schmidt not really up for it in this game

Others

Holtby - started strong but game fell off in the third. Canucks don't get air tight goal tending they are in trouble and Holtby didn't provide that in this game

Miller - times when he carried the play for the team and then other times when he made bad defensive errors

Joulevi - mostly held his own but too often just shoved the puck around the to the wing when pressured. Kind of handing off his problems to someone else and often to a player already covered. Missed some open ice passes that should be his bread and butter.

MacEwen - again supplied some necessary push back and showed he is tough enough to have the other team worry some. On the play he had some good shifts and should probably stay in the line up. I mean what's the use of playing Eriksson?

Virtanen - appeared to have some jump and maybe Green should have used him more.

Hoglander - is getting more caught up in traffic and bounced around some. Maybe coming to earth but his effort remains solid.

Figure the team needs 46 points out of last 34 game and this looks a little daunting. Not out of it yet but soon could be.

Little off topic but I remember when the Canucks had their farm team in Winnipeg and had Greg Hiesinger as their manager. He did an excellent job of identifying players and putting together good teams . I was hoping the Canucks would bring him in but with the Benning arrival there was no way that was going to happen. So he stayed in Winnipeg and became the assistant GM and VP. Since then he has gone about being masterful in the draft and in player acquisition and development. He was exactly what the Canucks needed but unfortunately he wasn't one of the old boys. Much better that someone like Smyl get the job. Results have been shown in the games between us and the Jets for many years now.

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Literally backwards. Quinn is leading Dmen in scoring. He’s been admittedly weak defensively all year, but he’s very young and has strength to gain. Being partnered with Jordie Benn and even Hamonic doesn’t help his cause at all. He needs a bigger, defensively responsible RH partner with higher IQ to keep up with him. His style is a bit reckless, but he’s kind of like the Patrick Kane of defence; fun to watch and incredibly dynamic.

Petey has magic hands in-tight, and elite level shot (top 5 in the league), but can’t drive play at his weight. He’ll score 40 in his prime, but he’ll always need a play-driving winger.

They’re both franchise players, but Hughes is the one with the highest upside.

This is incorrect.

Reactions: Fedz

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Looked back at the goals. Not sure why Shorthouse made the "lots of net" comment. Reverse angle shows Holtby is on his angle on time and is following the pass across. It wasn't like Pionk blasted it into an empty net - if Holtby had been able to see through the screen Benn provided he probably saves this. I criticize Demko for not fighting through screens so I'm going to say that he could have done that better. He's already looking ahead of the screen as he t-pushes to his right so surprising he chose to just drop and hope for the best.

Final goal, no he isn't backing in too fast. At the faceoff dot Holtby is on the top of his crease still. He pretty much maintains this position until the shot and his skate is well in front of the post at time of release. I'm saying this to address a specific question earlier in the PGT.

However, what Holtby didn't do on is microadjust his position. Although his depth is ok, he lets Dubois keep a wide stick position. That means although his torso is square to Dubois's torso, the puck itself is looking at empty net. Since PLD is a left hand shot, he'd have to go to his backhand on a deke. By maintaining this position, the closer PLD gets the more net is open from the puck's POV. So not a well played goal especially for a veteran goalie.

I think both he and Demko have played well and made some crazy saves but neither of them have been consistently good. Demko has tons of technical issues, keeps clinging to bad habits, and seems to have regressed in his skating. Holtby has all the benefits of a SC champ and league vet but he has brain fart moments.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The sad but necessary reality is that Edler, Benn, Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel should all be playing their final seasons in a Canuck uniform. That will be the one ray of light by the end of the season, a long overdue changing of the guard.

In all likelihood, knowing Jimbo's acumen at trades and UFA signings, the replacements next year probably won't be any better. But at least the names will be new. And my God does this team need a massive roster changeover.

Reactions: Jack Burton

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The sad but necessary reality is that Edler, Benn, Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel should all be playing their final seasons in a Canuck uniform. That will be the one ray of light by the end of the season, a long overdue changing of the guard.

In all likelihood, knowing Jimbo's acumen at trades and UFA signings, the replacements next year probably won't be any better. But at least the names will be new. And my God does this team need a massive roster changeover.

This post makes me a sad panda.

sad-panda.jpg

And I agree with every word.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

Edler shouldn’t be on that list as long as he re-signs for a reasonable rate. He’s still a top 4 dman and one of the few on this team who are more than competent in the d-zone. I’m hoping he’s open to going year to year for about $4m per.

Until they have a reliable replacement for him he shouldn’t be going anywhere. No one on this roster can take his place and one would not be easy to find for the amount he is likely to re-sign for.

Last edited:

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
This has been discussed plenty but Myers is the outlier in terms of value in this d-core. He has good offensive value but is too permissive in his end and that really hampers the pairing options. He has played much better since being paired with Juolevi but for $6m they need more.

Reactions: LiveeviL

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
that was an absoulte horrible game. vancouver dominated the first period with a 2-0 lead then fell completely flat the last 40mins. holtby was awful tonight.. good to see petey score two. powerplay once again.. didnt win the game at all.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Why exactly did we spend $4.3MM on Holtby?

Someone please explain it to me, haven't gotten a reasonable explanation since the signing. Does not move the needle for the team.
Absolutely inexplicable. Working in some backroom deal like this, meanwhile the front door is wide open as a stream of talent left the building.

Reactions: I am toxic

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
They will. And Myers, and Eriksson. They dont have TVs in Seattle.
On a very positive note, the Canucks have no worries about the upcoming draft. The amount of garbage on this roster that can be left unprotected is alot. On the negative side, I don't think there's much of that unprotected garbage that Seattle wants to pick.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Had my own hockey to play last night with a double header (2-0 and 5-3 wins btw) so I didn’t catch this one. Looks like another moral victory. When the Canucks started the moral victories in Toronto they were 3rd last in the league by point percentage.

After 7 games of moral victories they are....3rd last in the league by point percentage (they also hold the worst last 10 game record in the NHL).

No idea how the game went but like most teams, if you consistently ask the offense to put up 4 or more goals to get two points then you aren’t going to get two points very often.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->