Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 4-3 (OT) (Pettersson x2, Sutter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
that was an absoulte horrible game. vancouver dominated the first period with a 2-0 lead then fell completely flat the last 40mins. holtby was awful tonight.. good to see petey score two. powerplay once again.. didnt win the game at all.
I went to bed after the first period. Good period, fun times! Felt great! Best decision I made all weekend...

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
It is intriguing to watch Greener's player deployment:
The Beagle line has some dominating shifts early and then they sit.
MacEwan wins a fight and looks great overall and then he basically sits.
Sutter scores a goal and Greener goes hog wild and deploys him and the invisible Roussel at even strength and when they are down a goal.

Greener just keeps flogging the same poor dead horses.

BTW: Roussel was hit by Lowry and he just skates away to do another car commercial.

Reactions: David71

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's face it, flawed teams just find ways to lose. The comment lament is, "we played well enough to win--again." And they did.

But every game it's something new that rises up and bites them in the butt....bad penalties in the offensive zone; shoddy goaltending at key times; a power play that goes defunct when you need it most; or the dreaded d-zone or neutral zone turnover.

And the 'young guys' aren't to blame, simply because they're so few of them in this lineup. It's a different 'veteran' every night....last night it was Miller with the turnovers and Holtby with a save he simply has to make; The night before, a tough night for Edler and Myers. It just goes on and on.

But apparently the owner is happy....so as a fan, I guess your only option is to suck it up.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Let's face it, flawed teams just find ways to lose. The comment lament is, "we played well enough to win--again." And they did.

But every game it's something new that rises up and bites them in the butt....bad penalties in the offensive zone; shoddy goaltending at key times; a power play that goes defunct when you need it most; or the dreaded d-zone or neutral zone turnover.

And the 'young guys' aren't to blame, simply because they're so few of them in this lineup. It's a different 'veteran' every night....last night it was Miller with the turnovers and Holtby with a save he simply has to make; The night before, a tough night for Edler and Myers. It just goes on and on.

But apparently the owner is happy....so as a fan, I guess your only option is to suck it up.
"All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
That was a sh$*ty result given the game the Canucks played with the Jets only showing any life in a couple of bursts where they score three goals. Canucks were the far better team on the ice in a game where the refs let everything go until the 3rd. Way more high danger chances and it shouldn't have been a particularly close result. Holtby didn't do enough and those goaltending margins are pretty slim. The Canucks obviously also can't seem to bury enough of their chances.

The Canucks have played so much better since that last game in Toronto and I don't think they were as bad as they appeared to start the season but just don't have much runway left. As was blindingly obvious a bad start in a shortened season is hard to overcome. In the past 7 games at 5v5 they have:

Corsi: 54.6% - 4th in the league
Fenwick: 55.3% - 2nd
Expected Goals For: 56.6% - 2nd
Scoring Chance For: 54.6% - 4th
High Danger Chance For: 53.7% - 10th
Save %: 0.909 - 23rd
PDO: 0.961 - 27th

Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

PowerPlay: 18.2% - 21st
PenaltyKill: 89.5% - 5th

That start was a collective failure of the whole franchise. Management for handling player relations so poorly with the team's free agents and communicating with their players in general in the offseason that I believe it affected morale coming into the season. Coaching for inexplicably waiting so long before making adjustments to a more structured approach rather than letting their players run around for 14 games. And the players for being far too casual and generally not being prepared. Every team had some roster turnover and no preseason so that's not an excuse. It's all extremely frustrating.

Roussel looks really poor, he just doesn't make good enough decisions with the puck. I'm convinced Gaudette will somehow never score again even though he has been much better since moving to the wing. They need more production from the bottom 6 and I think the best chance of getting it is playing someone else with Gaudette and Sutter. This is where Motte could have been important.

For as well as the Horvat line does in controlling play and creating chances they need to start burying their chances. They play so well and it frustrating.

That’s sort of why you don’t really want to talk about those stats with a small sample size though. The moral victories in a 7 game stretch are wiped out by the previous 15 games. The real team is likely in between the horrendous team at the start and the team right now.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
I am starting to like Myers more and more. When he is not making over aggressive plays and being caught out of position he is actually a very solid top 4 D. I think he has improved a lot over the course of this season.

Petey, despite the points and goals looks just awful (for his expectations). There are flashes of brilliance but his consistency is concerning, plays have just been dying off his stick at an alarming rate.

Lastly, it's time to ride Demko.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Great fight to start the game - led to great energy..
Pressured the hell outta their D... created turnovers.
Had bounces go our way... Got the first goal on a fortunate bounce...
Nice to see Pettersson get a couple the way he did.

Special teams let us down. Came thru to earn us a point tho.
Boeser had a bad game. Looked like the worst version of himself.
And goaltending let us down.

But they had a sleeping beast on their side that decided to wake up.. Dubios. Playermaker made plays.

We are a massive 4 head to head regulation swing wins back of the playoff bar. Will need some help.

Well this is who we are the rest of the season. In the fight... needing everything to go right.
Still optimistic this work rate starts to earn more bounces and wins in the coming games... Will be a fun watch to see if it will be enough...
On to the next one.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
what do we have like 2 wins,in the last 11 or so,,,and its ok...moral wins are garbage...Travis Green is a pathetic coach..But my opinion don't matter ...

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
7 years into the "retooling on the fly" and it is now headed into "tanking on the run".

To be followed by "hitting a brick wall at warp speed".

ldlR9wK.gif

I know, hypnotic, huh? I've been staring at it for 5 minutes already

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
7 years into the "retooling on the fly" and it is now headed into "tanking on the run".

7 years of hell that has led to people talking about moral victories as if they are a good things at this point. Not everyone but enough think this way so we continue to suffer.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
On a very positive note, the Canucks have no worries about the upcoming draft. The amount of garbage on this roster that can be left unprotected is alot. On the negative side, I don't think there's much of that unprotected garbage that Seattle wants to pick.

Anyone they are forced to pick, will be going to their affiliate.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
7 years of hell that has led to people talking about moral victories as if they are a good things at this point. Not everyone but enough think this way so we continue to suffer.

Nothing will change until it hits FA in his pocketbook. If fans keep paying for tickets , merch etc.... no reason for him to make changes

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Nothing will change until it hits FA in his pocketbook. If fans keep paying for tickets , merch etc.... no reason for him to make changes
This is such limited thinking but the franchise losing value very much hurts the franchise.

It’s absolutely foolish to suggest otherwise.

But foolish thinking is the m.o. of this team and has been for about 7 seasons now.

Saving cash while bleeding value seems very much a franky bleubs kind of thing

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Again, the team played well enough to win, but the team is also finding a way to lose them..PP is still sputtering....The Jets are good team, but gone are the days where they would murder the Canucks on regular basis.
They just have to take it one game at a time..Oilers next.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Again, the team played well enough to win, but the team is also finding a way to lose them..PP is still sputtering....The Jets are good team, but gone are the days where they would murder the Canucks on regular basis.
They just have to take it one game at a time..Oilers next.
Agreed that should be the players’ thinking. But management should be planning to move out UFAs at the coming TDL, and get more draft capital. It’s clear, after these last two losses, we are done for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad