Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
we are a soft team. remember petey got wrestled by matheson? and nobody did shit? even gudbranson was on our team. they said they didnt see the play and whatnot..

With Petey on the puck.

Other than turning to talk to staff, get a towel, or swig some water, where else other than the puck is just about everyone watching.

With your future Calder winner. Truly a gutless low point for a franchise that has a history of being pushed around. That was the game that Green became irredeemable for me.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
roussel has been scratched once this season that was the game in montreal. other than that hes been in almost every game..

Apparently that wasn't a healthy scratch.

But yes I have been a fan of his and defended him when people criticized him before his injury as I did like his fast paced game and passing vision and was even willing to give him sometime after his injury to rebound but I have no patience left for this guy. Needs to go. However he would still be last on my list out of Virtanen, Eriksson, Beagle and Sutter

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I’ll never understand how people can watch a game with incredible flow, scoring chances galore, nearly 8 expected goals (that means great saves), huge chunks on no whistle play, no parade to the penalty box, and even a little melee at the end is not a fun game.

This game wasn’t boring and I think the Canucks need to be boring to be effective.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I’ll never understand how people can watch a game with incredible flow, scoring chances galore, nearly 8 expected goals (that means great saves), huge chunks on no whistle play, no parade to the penalty box, and even a little melee at the end is not a fun game.

This game wasn’t boring and I think the Canucks need to be boring to be effective.
Jets hardly are a powerhouse team (and before Jets fan chimes in, no the Canucks haven’t been remotely that for years). It was the battle of the Turd; much like the game previously to the Lames. So yeah, a competitive set of games between blech teams.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Ugly game...

Countdown to reopening tank thread: 6 games.

ImmaculateAgileInganue-small.gif

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Honestly, This is by far the slowest I have ever seen Edler Play.
Guy has completely lost a step, and it's kind of sad to see right now.
He had enough games under his belt right now to see that clearly this is just Regression.
Or maybe he has some unannounced injury?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
He had enough games under his belt right now to see that clearly this is just Regression.

It’s not sad, he’s just old and his play is entirely predictable. What’s sad is an incompetent management that has had like 7 years to replace his minutes but has failed miserably in doing so. Edler would be a perfect bottom pairing defenceman at this stage.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s not sad, he’s just old and his play is entirely predictable. What’s sad is an incompetent management that has had like 7 years to replace his minutes but has failed miserably in doing so. Edler would be a perfect bottom pairing defenceman at this stage.
Juiolevi looked good offensively last night. He should have played more minutes, and Edler less.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yup.

With Edler the blueline is bad. Without him it’s a disaster.

Say they decide this was it for Edler after this season, this is the projected top 4:

Hughes-Schmidt
Juolevi-Myers

I’m not sure that’s a recipe for success and I don’t think another year older and slower version of Edler should be depended on anymore.

If they weren’t blooding in two u22 dmen on the left side who need protection he might be but I think they need an edler replacement or a very strong partner for Hughes.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

It happens...He's turning 35. Duncan Keith's play began dropping off at the same age. Shea Weber is beginning to see a decline at age 35. Suter, Doughty, Burns etc...

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Problem is the team can't let a guy like Forbort get away with it, especially on a rookie. Says a lot about our team.

I just feel that teams need their vets to stand up and protect their rookies. Players need to feel like their team has their back and that's more important than any regular season win. That is the one thing I hated about the Canucks during the Sedin era. We played like p***yes and lost because of it. Not every player needs to be the toughest guy in the league but every player needs to look out for their teammates and know that their teammates are going to have their back.
Nailed it. Especially with not needing the toughest guys in the league, you just need the entire team on the same wavelength.

There are so many moments to choose from, but I thought it was a total indictment last year in one of Toffoli's first games with us, someone on our team ate a dirty play, Toffoli immediately got into the melee, and everyone else on our team just skated away and off the ice leaving Toffoli getting mugged by 3 or 4 guys for being the only one to stand up for his teammate. The wolf pack, brotherhood mentality hadn't been trained out of Toffoli yet on our gutless team. That stuff drives me crazy, especially from our talentless bottom six.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

He's about to turn 35 in April. Speaking from experience (really losing a step at age 35 for me), it's almost certainly age. Injuries also won't heal as well, as quickly, or as fully, so that will impact it, but I doubt that it is a specific injury (that he could recover from) that is slowing him down. IOW, this is pretty much as fast as we are going to see him in a regular (or more grinding) schedule.

Contrast that with Sutter the past few seasons - given his age, I strongly suspect (again from experience) groin pull issues.

So if Sutter was a few years younger, he would be able to go through periods of strong play when his groin isn't bothering him (unfortunately it's clear they never rested him properly/long enough for him to get sustained periods of healthy play). But now that he is 32 with a lot of mileage under his belt, at best we would see a slow decline, even assuming they allow him proper recovery between groin pulls.

Last edited:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Tight checking game with few opportunities for either side. Just didn't get any bounces going our way.

That said, we should be getting more production with the personnel we have. The main issue I see is that, while our play in our zone is much tidier, our break outs are still very static and leads to a lot of dump-ins. Next thing that Green needs to figure out - that is, how to generate more speed through the neutral zone more reliably. IMHO, this comes from set plays and crisp passing, which our dmen and top 6 forwards are definitely capable of. Just a matter of organization and execution.

Reactions: sting101

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Edler is still fine as a 4/5 guy but ideally you would give him a few nights off or at least really limit his minutes sometimes to maintain his effectiveness over a compressed schedule.

I would really be concerned if someone like Schmidt went down for a few games and Edler was forced to play heavy minutes vs any of the fast teams.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This notion that we did not get enough scoring chances, or have enough bodies out front of the net is ridiculous.
I counted at least 8 Chances alone that should have been goals, Or even close, But the Jets goalie stood on his head.
Petey alone had like 4 chances, and Pearson Missed a open Netter.
We missed Breakaways as well.
We lost because of the other goalie standing on his head, I think it's honestly that simple. (Demko played great also)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Tight checking game with few opportunities for either side. Just didn't get any bounces going our way.

That said, we should be getting more production with the personnel we have. The main issue I see is that, while our play in our zone is much tidier, our break outs are still very static and leads to a lot of dump-ins. Next thing that Green needs to figure out - that is, how to generate more speed through the neutral zone more reliably. IMHO, this comes from set plays and crisp passing, which our dmen and top 6 forwards are definitely capable of. Just a matter of organization and execution.
Weird. I 100% disagree with the first part. Game had tons of flow and expected goals were nearly 8 combined.

Goalies played well, I thought Demko made tougher saves but didn’t look as composed or in control as Brossoit.

That sad I wholeheartedly agree with the second part.

After a zone exit they almost always just bury their head and try and go alone. Other teams seem to be able to bump the puck back or hit the switch with speed much more than we are.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Edler is still fine as a 4/5 guy but ideally you would give him a few nights off or at least really limit his minutes sometimes to maintain his effectiveness over a compressed schedule.

I would really be concerned if someone like Schmidt went down for a few games and Edler was forced to play heavy minutes vs any of the fast teams.

tenor.gif

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
@TheGuardian_
Did you hear that crack? That was the straw that broke the fan's backs. Faith fans had in Vancouver has been eroded over the last 5 yrs and is finally coming to a peak. with Mr.Aquilini's tweet it is becoming clearer that the team has lost touch with the fans There are two

buttons, the panic button and the positive button and right now the media is hammering the positive button like crazy and alienating fans by the hundreds #Canucks

@DavePrattSports
@ThomasDrance

Reactions: Luckylarry

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
@TheGuardian_
Did you hear that crack? That was the straw that broke the fan's backs. Faith fans had in Vancouver has been eroded over the last 5 yrs and is finally coming to a peak. with Mr.Aquilini's tweet it is becoming clearer that the team has lost touch with the fans There are two

buttons, the panic button and the positive button and right now the media is hammering the positive button like crazy and alienating fans by the hundreds #Canucks

@DavePrattSports
@ThomasDrance

Did IMac seriously tweet that the one win last game against Calgary was a "modest win streak"?

Give your head a shake, IMac.

Don't shilly-shally
Don't shilly-shally
You got it up with the blues, good-bye-hi-hi
Got it up with the blues, good-bye

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Edler isn’t contributing as much offensively at this point in his career but he’s a rock defensively. Have no complaints at all with him in the lineup used in a defensive roll.

What’s inspiring about Edler is that he was a dumpster fire defensively at certain times in his career during his 20s but has turned into one of the more reliable defensive defenders in the league in his 30s (not on Tanev’s level but a tier below). Gives hope that young guys like Hughes and Juolevi can learn and thrive in the defensive end as they mature.

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
E3-CB42-DA-DC21-4-B31-808-A-4132-B599037-D.jpg

Hopefully we set the tone for game 2

gonna be great to see how Hog responds!! Let’s gooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad