Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
winnipeg goalie shut the door. is petey allergic to shooting the puck? goddamn. hoglander getting crosschecked 3-4times by forbort really? refs were brutal. time to change the bottom 6..

Every other team in the NHL that has played against that goalie has scored on him. Except us.

Reactions: David71

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Another fun game. Win or lose, this team is (mostly) a lot of fun to watch.

Demko and Schmidt looked great tonight, but I didn't really see anyone else that stood out.

I didn’t find this fun. PP looks disjointed. 5 on 5 we generate very few high end chances. We don’t hit and get hemmed in our zone a lot. We don’t complete a ton of tape to tape passes either ...

I don’t need goals or wins even.... but this team isn’t that fun to me.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If OJ48 could just learn to turn around properly , he would be an everyday defensman. I hope he works with a skating coach in the offseason.

Reactions: David71

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I couldn’t care less about Derek Forsbertg I think he’s useless but I would say the hit PPC was the head. That said , I don’t think it’s a penalty as it was unavoidable due to what you said , him reaching. Unfortunate it got him a shoulder in the noggin but didn’t seem like that was Hogs intent.
Yup. Agreed.

...unless Hoggy likes his 'bum hits' with a little extra.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I didn’t find this fun. PP looks disjointed. 5 on 5 we generate very few high end chances. We don’t hit and get hemmed in our zone a lot. We don’t complete a ton of tape to tape passes either ...

I don’t need goals or wins even.... but this team isn’t that fun to me.

umm 13 Dangerous scoring chances which Vancouver generated tonight is a lot.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I couldn’t care less about Derek Forsbertg I think he’s useless but I would say the hit PPC was the head. That said , I don’t think it’s a penalty as it was unavoidable due to what you said , him reaching. Unfortunate it got him a shoulder in the noggin but didn’t seem like that was Hogs intent.
While we can certainly sit here and debate what principle point of contact means I think the spirit of this rule is that the head does not get targetted.
Whilst the head does get hit contact is also made with Fortberts upper body pretty much at the same time.

Its a matter of super duper milli seconds as opposed to super milli seconds like might be the case if Forbort was more leaning over as opposed to squatting.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
This was a fun, exciting (yet frustrating) game.

At times, it seemed as though they were collectively finding their 'wheels' and then forgot how to finish.
Reminds me of a prom date story....for another time.
Horrible first period - no excuse for that. Yet, I liked how the team was testing their wheels and taking their training wheels off.

Let's see what they do on Sunday.
edit: wheels

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Yeah I am a proponent of stricter calls for headshots. But I also realise its a fine line.

I mean to me the "classic" headshot call that wasnt called was the accidentally on purpose elbow Pettersson took to his nose a few years back. Cant remember who it was bit they went in for a check on EP and then when he evaded they did the old spin and bump into him with your back but flair out your elbows hoping to catch him move.

But alas no head shot call even though it was a high risk hit.
I believe that was Rangers' Chris Kreider who did that dirty elbow on Petey. Game was here 2 years ago.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I believe that was Rangers' Chris Kreider who did that dirty elbow on Petey. Game was here 2 years ago.
Yes thats right.

A total "oops sorry. Shame about the nose there" hit.

And everyone was like "Krieder didnt mean to hurt him, hes a nice guy not a meany."

Which was beside the point that Kreider absolutely intentionally meant to hit him with his elbow regardless wether he intended to injure EP.

Reactions: I am toxic

Nov 1, 2011
Forbort is a bitch and got away with it. All there is to it

Problem is the team can't let a guy like Forbort get away with it, especially on a rookie. Says a lot about our team.

I might be making this up, but I remember in his rookie season - I think he was 18, Virtanen was starting to be on his way to becoming a physical offensive player. He put up something like 4 or 5 points in 6 games and was hitting a lot. Then he got his ass kicked after a fight. Jake went missing for months after that (like 1 or 2 points in 15-20 games with no physical play). At the end of the day, maybe that incident affected Jake, maybe Jake was just being Jake, who really knows.

I just feel that teams need their vets to stand up and protect their rookies. Players need to feel like their team has their back and that's more important than any regular season win. That is the one thing I hated about the Canucks during the Sedin era. We played like p***yes and lost because of it. Not every player needs to be the toughest guy in the league but every player needs to look out for their teammates and know that their teammates are going to have their back.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Yes thats right.

A total "oops sorry. Shame about the nose there" hit.

And everyone was like "Krieder didnt mean to hurt him, hes a nice guy not a meany."

Which was beside the point that Kreider absolutely intentionally meant to hit him with his elbow regardless wether he intended to injure EP.
And the refs got it right. Wound up tossing Kreider out of the game for a dangerous hit.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Problem is the team can't let a guy like Forbort get away with it, especially on a rookie. Says a lot about our team.

I might be making this up, but I remember in his rookie season - I think he was 18, Virtanen was starting to be on his way to becoming a physical offensive player. He put up something like 4 or 5 points in 6 games and was hitting a lot. Then he got his ass kicked after a fight. Jake went missing for months after that (like 1 or 2 points in 15-20 games with no physical play). At the end of the day, maybe that incident affected Jake, maybe Jake was just being Jake, who really knows.

I just feel that teams need their vets to stand up and protect their rookies. Players need to feel like their team has their back and that's more important than any regular season win. That is the one thing I hated about the Canucks during the Sedin era. We played like p***yes and lost because of it. Not every player needs to be the toughest guy in the league but every player needs to look out for their teammates and know that their teammates are going to have their back.
When Getzlaf f***ed him up?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
When Getzlaf f***ed him up?

I'm not sure exactly what it was, but he was a real shit disturber/agitator as a rookie, I seem to recall it totally vanishing after the Polak hit suspension, but its more likely due to the fact that his shoulder has been utterly mangled since his draft year. He doesnt even have to be smarter and be better at hockey, he just has to keep his legs moving and throw hits like he can and he is easily a very valuable third line crash n banger winger.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
And the refs got it right. Wound up tossing Kreider out of the game for a dangerous hit.
Yes my issue was more that there was no supplimental discipline.

The league claims they want to take headshots out of the game and that was the definition of a reckless headshot.

Comparing it to Hoglanders today in which there was not real reckless element nor was it really a "headshot".

But alas we are well familiar with the inconsistency of the league.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

we are a soft team. remember petey got wrestled by matheson? and nobody did shit? even gudbranson was on our team. they said they didnt see the play and whatnot..

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

Good call.
Let's see what Sunday uncovers...

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
roussel has been scratched once this season that was the game in montreal. other than that hes been in almost every game..
Has he tho...

ty55.jpg

Reactions: David71 and DFAC

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
SO, finally watched this.

--Forbort's a f***ing idiot. Guy should have had his head kicked in. Oh Mr 6'3" guy, your head is hanging down by the shoulders of our 5'10" rookie? STFU with your bitch fit. The crosschecks should've been *more* than plenty enough for your little snit. Watch where the f*** you're going.

--Why did I keep seeing Sutter on the ice with like 5, 6 minutes to go?

--Goalies were good. Canucks are nowhere near the defensive shambles they were on the road trip, but now the offence decided to go gold. Got a lot of zone time, but not a lot of penetration. Everything on the outside. Top six all struggling outside of:

--Hoglander, who continues to beast. The one unqualified success story this season. Forbort, like I said, is a f***ing idiot.

--Petey. What's up, man. I feel like we should talk. What's goin' on there, buddy? You're clearly not *you* lately.

--Juolevi's improving. Modestly, but definitely improving. Would still be about a 5th or 6th pairing dman on a good team. Still better option than Chatfield.

--Edler was slow. Benn was slow. Schmidt was looking better. Early jitters are dissipating, and he's getting more comfortable. Hughes desperately in need of a proper shutdown partner, and none exists. Myers was better than his previous average here.

--Bottom six exists. Eriksson's useless. Roussel's invisible. Did Beagle play? Honestly having trouble remembering. Virtanen, Gaudette...a shift here, a shift there, but nothing. Sutter, annoyingly, played higher up than he should've.

Next.

Reactions: LiveeviL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad