Not open for further replies.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The only argument against Hoglander is that he made this move a few times in the SHL and got suspended for it once. Still unclear to me whether or not he hit the head or the chest first, or at the same time. And Forbort is 7" taller.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Bit unlucky and on the play probably deserved to win but just not burying their chances. Team is almost trying too hard and gripping their sticks too tight rather than playing smart and confidently.

Good

Hoglander - going to say that this was his least effective effort but then in the last part of the third starting taking over play in the offensive zone. Probably created more than anyone during that period

Boeser - overall game continues to improve. Making much better plays in every zone than last year.

Hughes - skated miles and pushed the play from back all game. Made some good passes to set up chances that others continued to flub. Wish he was getting more from the point on the PP and shot not always good. But there were some that people should have got their stick on.

Demko - got taken to school by Scheifele and awkward at times but he also made some very good saves. Did enough for the team to get a win out of this game

Gaudette - should have finished his chances better but he was forcing turnovers and getting to the net with the puck. Game has been better of late but must start scoring.

Schmidt - pushed the play and attacked well from the back. Solid around his net and covering for the lethargic Edler all game

Bad

Benn - back to bad. Game speeds up and Benn is done. His slowness took much of the flow out the Canucks game. This is really hurting Hughes when he tries to speed up the attack. Benn had real trouble at the offensive blue line. Had a chance to move up and do something with the space he had but instead stayed way back at the line and look unprepared and mostly hopeless when the puck did get worked around to his point.

Edler - slow all game. Let the puck handle him on the first goal and back on his heels throughout. Look like Grandpa Moses on some shifts. Same as always. Games bunch up and Edler get drained. At this point probably needs to be spotted when the schedule gets heavy.

Virtanen - Hard to believe he has 1 goal and 1 point in 15 games. Has completely bottomed out. You think he must be better than this but then you watch him and you realize he isn't. He should have been traded last season (or maybe earlier than that) and those here who were insisting we shouldn't need to fess up to a bad error in judgement.

Others

Miller - lot of try and some strong play in many parts of the game. But he seems so prone to the misdirected pass and overly hasty play that leads to blown opportunities or bad turnovers.

Pettersson - just off this season. There always seems to be a glitch in his play. Just when he is breaking free he suddenly staggers a bit off balance and fumbles with the puck. Or he has the pass then waits and the chance is gone. Even on his shot he is not handling the puck smoothly enough to get it off as quick as in the past. Believe he will get it back but he did not come into this season right and hasn't really be right throughout this season

Joulevi - other than getting turned inside out by Ehlers (which exposed his pivoting some) he was decent. Would rank him ahead of Benn at the moment. Looked to create offense which was encouraging and was efficient with his passing. There is no doubt improvement and you hope he can build on this.

The reffing at the end was ludicrous. There is no way the Canucks shouldn't have come out of that with an advantage maybe even a 2 man advantage. Did think the non call on Hoglander was a factor

Bad loss in term of making the playoffs.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Not sure if sarcasm. People were talking $10 M, I suspect we might get him at $7.5 (or a little less if a bridge deal) if it were negotiated today.
Maybe even 5.95 if he keeps this up.

Not sure if he should get more than Loui.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I still don’t know if you’re a really good troll or what...
tenor.gif

lol...I know you love it bud!

Reactions: Ginger Papa

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
After watching that replay it looks like Hoglander expected Forbort's center of gravity to remain high, hence why he pushed upwards for the incoming hit. Especially as a shorter guy taking on a taller D-man, that's not surprising to see. However Forbort reaches in for the puck and as a result he lowers his head right before Hoglander makes contact, hence why he ends up clipping Forbort up high.

If it weren't for that sudden dip, that's probably shoulder-to-shoulder instead. But things happen so fast out there.

Yeah, it's unfortunate for Forbort but I think the refs actually got it right in this instance. If the principal POC doesn't change before the hit, then you can say Hogs was guilty. But to me that's not the case here.

Either way, looks like Green will have to put in MacEwen for Eriksson next game in case the Jets try anything. Not that there wasn't reason enough to do so anyway...

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
If Forbort wants someone to blame cuz he took one in the face, he can start with himself. . Pro tip, when going into a puck battle, don’t crouch down 6 inches and lead with your face

I mean you could argue thet Hoglander should have gone to hug the boards instead. But equally valid is that Forbort should have taken an extra stride or two to actually get to the puck.

At no point does it really appear that Hoglander was going for a hit instead of playing the puck.

Essentially they are both racing for the puck. Forbort I assume think Hoglander has him beat so reaches. Hoglander braces.

All with a a second or two.

The only argument against Hoglander is that he made this move a few times in the SHL and got suspended for it once. Still unclear to me whether or not he hit the head or the chest first, or at the same time. And Forbort is 7" taller.

I mean if we are being pedantic the head is the first point of contact by about a super-micro second.

But then every hit could result in that considering your head (chin) is not in the same plane as your chest.

Unless your name is Chesty LaRue.

I think the spirit of the "rule" is intended to stop the guy leaning way of where his head is a full 30 cm in front of his body.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
After watching that replay it looks like Hoglander expected Forbort's center of gravity to remain high, hence why he pushed upwards for the incoming hit. Especially as a shorter guy taking on a taller D-man, that's not surprising to see. However Forbort reaches in for the puck and as a result he lowers his head right before Hoglander makes contact, hence why he ends up clipping Forbort up high.

If it weren't for that sudden dip, that's probably shoulder-to-shoulder instead. But things happen so fast out there.

Yeah, it's unfortunate for Forbort but I think the refs actually got it right in this instance. If the principal POC doesn't change before the hit, then you can say Hogs was guilty. But to me that's not the case here.

Either way, looks like Green will have to put in MacEwen for Eriksson next game in case the Jets try anything. Not that there wasn't reason enough to do so anyway...
I dont know that the refs thought anything consciously about it.

It just wasnt egregious enough to warrant anything.

Mind you they certainly to miss egregious things so :dunno:

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
They were both charging for the puck.

Hoglander braces for a hit at the same time Forbort "squats" and leans to poke the puck with his stick.

This video is 1 second long so it kinda shows how quickly it all happens.

For me, the fact that Hog turns shows all I need to know.
Good clip

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I dont know that the refs thought anything consciously about it.

It just wasnt egregious enough to warrant anything.

Mind you they certainly to miss egregious things so :dunno:
Yes, I was just assuming they were doing their jobs but point taken. :laugh:

Though I believe league headquarters looks at these even after games? So I guess we'll see what they have to say.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Who was that Detroit Dead Wing that had as his patented hit where he kind of jumped up at someone as he threw a hit but turned around at the last moment so his back would really clock that guy? Or am I dreaming that up?

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I'll be shocked if the league does anything - other than mildly shake their collective heads that they have to zoom about such a little silly thing.

1. Little dude.
2. Big dude doing a dumb thing.
3. Conclusion: Big dude made a dumb move.

*League goes for a covid-safe coffee*.
Scene

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Who was that Detroit Dead Wing that had as his patented hit where he kind of jumped up at someone as he threw a hit but turned around at the last moment so his back would really clock that guy? Or am I dreaming that up?
Yep. Forgot his name - not his hits.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
C'mon man...
Hoggy even turned and played 'bum on stomach' after he noticed DF24 was not minding his surroundings, and reaching down for the puck like a chubby kid reaching for ice cream..

I couldn’t care less about Derek Forsbertg I think he’s useless but I would say the hit PPC was the head. That said , I don’t think it’s a penalty as it was unavoidable due to what you said , him reaching. Unfortunate it got him a shoulder in the noggin but didn’t seem like that was Hogs intent.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Nik Kronwall would destroy people with his ass hits.

Reactions: TruKnyte
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad