Rumor: Jets and Avs (Kyle Connor)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Could Connor be a goner?

It seems fairly far-fetched, but one of the Jets' beat writers indicates that he's heard some chatter about the Jets trading Kyle Connor, with the Avs as a potential destination. He also indicates that the return would focus on Bowen Byram.

Okay, so let's ask the hypothetical question:

To Avs: Kyle Connor
To Jets: Bowen Byram

Who says "no"?

Reactions: HuskyBruinPride

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think Avs are more likely to say no. While I don't think this trade will happen, I don't think its terribly unbalanced. But, I have a hard time seeing a team trade a top 5 pick from less than a year ago outside of an overpayment, and I don't think Connor's that (and its why we almost never see top 5 picks traded so shortly after the draft).

I mean, when was the last time we saw a top 5 pick traded less than a year after being drafted? All I can remember is Berard who was threatening not to sign with Ottawa (in a deal with the 2nd overall pick Redden going the other way), and Kilger in the Selanne deal. Jack Johnson was traded a bit more than a year after being drafted after threatening not to sign an ELC with Carolina. It just seems extremely rare, even if you account for Colorado's unique situations (ton of cap space, had a high draft pick that wasn't there's, etc).

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
I love kfc and I don’t hate the idea of this trade, but avs need to add at the very least their 1st. Connor is guaranteed for the next 7 years.

Edit: Byram is LD, jets need RD

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Conner may get traded, but not to the Avs. I doubt he even gets traded to any western team. The Jets AND the Avs need to improve their backend.....so this is not a fit at all.

Western teams..maybe Habs, Isles, Sens, Nashville, Carolina, Rangers probably make a better case

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I love kfc and I don’t hate the idea of this trade, but avs need to add at the very least their 1st. Connor is guaranteed for the next 7 years.

Edit: Byram is LD, jets need RD

I mean we know why, but still bizarre how fast that statement changed.

This would be a pretty bold move by both team honestly. I agree in terms of Connor's team control and certainty should still see an add, I doubt it is a first, maybe it is a struggling guy like Tyson Jost to balance it out.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
That's intriguing to me as a Jets fan, I wonder if Chevy would want to trade Connor right after signing him to that big extension though

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Kyle Connor is more valuable than Byram except the Avalanche shouldn't be looking to acquire more offense.

I think neither team realistically does this, but GMs making themselves deeper in one area rather than filling in obvious holes isn't a surprise anymore.

Reactions: irunthepeg

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't buy the "no trades in division" nonsense, but I do believe it plays a role when discussing top end pieces. This just doesn't seem likely anyway.

Byram projects to be the improvement the Avs need on defense, so I think they would only significantly benefit from a trade like this for about 18 months.

I did think the Avs would have been interested in guys like Lowry or Copp though if a deal was made this year

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I could see the Avs wanting to strengthen their D core, but I suppose the rationale is that they'll likely soon have 4 D signed long term -- Makar, Girard, Zadorov and Johnson.

Still, my guess is that the Avs would resist. They have a very strong team that's playing well, and would likely be much less motivated to shake things up.

I also think the Jets love Connor and would be very reluctant to move him. It would take a really high value asset to pry him loose, on the level of Byram.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't buy the "no trades in division" nonsense, but I do believe it plays a role when discussing top end pieces. This just doesn't seem likely anyway.

Byram projects to be the improvement the Avs need on defense, so I think they would only significantly benefit from a trade like this for about 18 months.

I did think the Avs would have been interested in guys like Lowry or Copp though if a deal was made this year
Copp or Lowry would really strengthen the Avs for the playoffs. But I think the Jets love both of them. Copp is having an outstanding season, and Lowry is such a beast to match against other teams top lines.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hell no from the Jets.

I am a MASSIVE Byram fan and was ranting and raving about him the past couple seasons, but I gotta say he has been bad this season in Vancouver. There has been something really off with him this year and it's been bizzare to see. Honestly his play this season has concerned me.

I know this comment may cause some chaos amongst fans but for those that have watched him play live many many times this season like I have, do you agree?

And it pains me to say this cause like I said, I have been on the Byram train BIGTIME for the last 2 years and many times referred to him as the best dman in the WHL last season

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Why would Connor be dealt? I thought he was (rightfully) pretty close to untouchable.

If he was available, I would make a strong pitch from the Sens to get him... probably based around one of their 1sts this year, a LW prospect, and whatever else it takes

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020
As an Avs fan I would do this in a heartbeat. I know Byram is a great prospect but he is just that. A prospect. Connor is a proven first line winger and plays with a lot of speed. Would look great with Mackinnon. Having said that this is probably the only feasible way that I would trade away Byram. Anything less than an elite player is a no go due to Byram's potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->