Jets 2018-19 end of season interviews

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
So do you feel Ehlers has peaked with no return to his 60 point level of years prior?

I was just pointing out that "selling low" is not necessarily poor investment advice. It could be wise investment advice and it's a common fallacy of investors to hold on to poor investments in the hope they'll regain value rather than taking the loss.

No idea about Ehlers.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Eberle played 13 playoff games with the Oilers a couple of years ago. 0 goals. 2 assists. Got traded to the Isles for Ryan Strome because of it.

And this year Eberle's got 4 goals, 2 assists in 6 playoff games.

Things are streaky, prone to variance, unpredictable. Relax.

The problem is not so much that Ehlers is O-fer two years in the playoffs. That's a problem, but the real problem is that it won't change much because of how he plays in the playoffs. He avoids anything that could resemble physicality. He avoids the boards, the corners, behind the net, in front of the net if there is anyone even remotely nearby. You can't win in the playoffs lobbing perimeter shots. Yeah, you will score some pretty goals once in a while, but it is never enough to win a post season series. You need the pretty goals and dirty ones too. BTW, he isn't the only smallish forward that we have that is afraid of playoff hockey. Just the highest paid one.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The main thing that drives me nuts about this season is that we have taken a couple steps back and our game has regressed.
It is completely baffling how this team suddenly just stopped playing the way that brought them so much success last season.

I realize expectations were high after last season but the way we played and under performed this season was beyond frustrating to watch.

tenor.gif

Sometimes you wonder why some players hate playing for Canadian teams and this is it right here. You cant have even a modicum of weakness or a few months of bad play. Because you never hear the end of it. Every single little thing they do gets analyzed and beaten to death.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The problem is not so much that Ehlers is O-fer two years in the playoffs. That's a problem, but the real problem is that it won't change much because of how he plays in the playoffs. He avoids anything that could resemble physicality. He avoids the boards, the corners, behind the net, in front of the net if there is anyone even remotely nearby. You can't win in the playoffs lobbing perimeter shots. Yeah, you will score some pretty goals once in a while, but it is never enough to win a post season series. You need the pretty goals and dirty ones too. BTW, he isn't the only smallish forward that we have that is afraid of playoff hockey. Just the highest paid one.

How is he 0 for 2? That makes no sense. Seems rather bias.

You wanna see someone avoiding contact more then usual go watch Connor is games 1 and 2. That guy would stop skating completely. Ehlers is avoiding the same amount of contact as always. There’s no point taking contact if there’s no benefit. Taking a hit doesn’t make you a better player. That is ignorant Don Cherry type thinking.

No one said anything all year about him turning off of a hit but because he didn’t have a strong playoffs on the score sheet people will look for any little thing that can be twisted and potentially manipulated to fit what they “think” is to be fact.

The ignorant bias when it comes to Ehlers has gone so overboard that the original criticism continues to escalate way beyond what most were originally upset over.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sometimes you wonder why some players hate playing for Canadian teams and this is it right here. You cant have even a modicum of weakness or a few months of bad play. Because you never hear the end of it. Every single little thing they do gets analyzed and beaten to death.

It was not a few months of weak play.
It was a full season of weak inconsistent play.
Big difference.

I can understand having a bad month but not a whole season where it looks like a totally different team is playing.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lots of truth with this post. I'm guess a guy like Doughty doesn't mind hanging out at his beach house in southern California disappearing into the background with his $11.5 M salary as the NBA playoffs heat up, baseball getting into full swing and with the NFL season around the corner. Sure beats having to explain yourself at every checkout stand in Winnipeg.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lots of truth with this post. I'm guess a guy like Doughty doesn't mind hanging out at his beach house in southern California disappearing into the background with his $11.5 M salary as the NBA playoffs heat up, baseball getting into full swing and with the NFL season around the corner. Sure beats having to explain yourself at every checkout stand in Winnipeg.

Plus he has two under the radar Cups to his name. The pressure cooker with the Jets can be literally insane sometimes.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yeah, I don't buy the micro analysis as being the reason. Here is your post, slightly reworded at the end. It's probably more accurate, especially compared to California.

Lots of truth with this post. I'm guess a guy like Doughty doesn't mind hanging out at his beach house in southern California disappearing into the background with his $11.5 M salary as the NBA playoffs heat up, baseball getting into full swing and with the NFL season around the corner. Sure beats being at a checkout stand in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Jedub

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Pretty much all Canadian fan bases are like this. You can do no wrong when you're winning and when you're losing everyone should be fired and traded out of town. Reactionary as hell.

That’s something I have a hard time understanding as well. It seems like people constantly want to trade the young stars for whatever perceived weaknesses flip-flopping on a daily basis. I think European fans have more loyalty towards the players; it goes both ways, not just the players having loyalty to the teams. Now it’s Ehlers’s time to be trade bait because of recency bias. He’ll put on some muscle over the off-season and will be just fine.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Pretty much all Canadian fan bases are like this. You can do no wrong when you're winning and when you're losing everyone should be fired and traded out of town. Reactionary as hell.

Every board here whether Canadian or American team is the same. I don't see any difference in the matter. The media doesn't ask hard questions in really any market and the headlines have been fairly tame. Not sure I agree with this under a microscope thing.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
That’s something I have a hard time understanding as well. It seems like people constantly want to trade the young stars for whatever perceived weaknesses flip-flopping on a daily basis. I think European fans have more loyalty towards the players; it goes both ways, not just the players having loyalty to the teams. Now it’s Ehlers’s time to be trade bait because of recency bias. He’ll put on some muscle over the off-season and will be just fine.

Ehlers is already fine.
He was injured and still played.
Ehlers is the only Jet who can make zone entries game in and game out.
Give him the right guys we play well.
He’s not a big guy and never will be and he doesn’t have to be given his skills.
Mitch Marner has similar physical attributes and is fast and skilled with better offensive talent.
Ehlers is a good player on a good contract why complain?

Reactions: Mud Turtle

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I'm fine with the European players. I want Wheeler traded.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Ehlers is already fine.
He was injured and still played.
Ehlers is the only Jet who can make zone entries game in and game out.
Give him the right guys we play well.
He’s not a big guy and never will be and he doesn’t have to be given his skills.
Mitch Marner has similar physical attributes and is fast and skilled with better offensive talent.
Ehlers is a good player on a good contract why complain?

Ehlers is not one of the problems. I think he’ll be a point per game player in a couple years.
Much larger issues need fixing. I wouldn’t mind trading some of the older guys for some good young prospects.
Put more of our players in that 20-25 year old window. Let the young core take over this team.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Ehlers is not one of the problems. I think he’ll be a point per game player in a couple years.
Much larger issues need fixing. I wouldn’t mind trading some of the older guys for some good young prospects.
Put more of our players in that 20-25 year old window. Let the young core take over this team.
No arguments here

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I was just pointing out that "selling low" is not necessarily poor investment advice. It could be wise investment advice and it's a common fallacy of investors to hold on to poor investments in the hope they'll regain value rather than taking the loss.

No idea about Ehlers.

Then I have no contention with your point. I think mine still stands with regards to Ehlers though. Selling now would be selling low. A notion we often see on HFboards (not just Jets).

Bre-X.

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
Every board here whether Canadian or American team is the same. I don't see any difference in the matter. The media doesn't ask hard questions in really any market and the headlines have been fairly tame. Not sure I agree with this under a microscope thing.

You don't see the differences because you're on a board like this a lot. People on here are much more invested than the general public of X city. There's a pretty big difference from the player perspective playing in a place like Winnipeg and a place like LA. Drew Doughty probably gets recognized there once every few months. I don't think Laine/Wheeler/Scheif/whoever could walk around here without getting recognized almost immediately. Some guys love that, but for others I could definitely see it being a negative.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Being held accountable for not putting in an effort worthy of "submit number of millions of dollars per year here" and playing below your abilities should not be a difficult situation - for a winner.

I don't recall anybody being unduly harsh on the 2011 Winnipeg Jets. They weren't that good, but they tried hard game in and game out. All I'm asking is that the Jets don't beat themselves.

Reactions: Board Bard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad