Jets 2018-19 end of season interviews

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I actually thought Connor brings out the best in them, but Ehlers isnt bad either. I'm just so upset with Maurice for never ever trying some other combination than Wheels-Scheif. Is there any other combo in the NHL that never gets separated no matter what?
Ehlers is "0 for career" when it comes to playoff goals (zero goals in 21 games). I'd like to see what we could get for him in the off-season or on draft day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Didn’t listen to the interview yet but isn’t that proof of some real problem in the locker room?

It definitely is but the players are never going to admit it. I think perhaps Perreault, Trouba and possibly a few of the young guys vs the vets might be at the forefront there.

Reactions: Tommigun

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Didn’t listen to the interview yet but isn’t that proof of some real problem in the locker room?

I think it is probably guys not happy about roles and ice. They likely spoke up at end season interviews. That is going to happen when you have the forward group we have. I am sure Trouba is not happy about getting bumped off PP1, and we know Buff was not happy about being on PP2 for a while that plays about 20 seconds a PP. Perreault/ Roslo/ Ehlers likely all want more ice time. Ehlers has a case during the season, not for his playoff performance though. And Roslo and Perreault did nothing to prove they deserve more then they got.

On a side note I seen a good point today about Scheifele not playing the worlds. He must be hurt and just not want to bring it up. Some of the vets I think don't like to bring up injuries as they seem like excuses. For Scheifele to not want to play more hockey and for his country. He is a hockey nerd after all, either he is hurt or very burned out. Knowing how fit he is and hard he trains and eats well, I think it is more then burn out from playing high minutes. There is plenty of star forwards still playing playoff hockey who's teams rode them just as hard as we rode 55/26.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think it is probably guys not happy about roles and ice. They likely spoke up at end season interviews. That is going to happen when you have the forward group we have. I am sure Trouba is not happy about getting bumped off PP1, and we know Buff was not happy about being on PP2 for a while that plays about 20 seconds a PP. Perreault/ Roslo/ Ehlers likely all want more ice time. Ehlers has a case during the season, not for his playoff performance though. And Roslo and Perreault did nothing to prove they deserve more then they got.

On a side note I seen a good point today about Scheifele not playing the worlds. He must be hurt and just not want to bring it up. Some of the vets I think don't like to bring up injuries as they seem like excuses. For Scheifele to not want to play more hockey and for his country. He is a hockey nerd after all, either he is hurt or very burned out. Knowing how fit he is and hard he trains and eats well, I think it is more then burn out from playing high minutes. There is plenty of star forwards still playing playoff hockey who's teams rode them just as hard as we rode 55/26.

Yeah good point, Scheif isn't one to ever turn down playing more hockey. Though he could just be pissed and trying to follow along with Wheeler by not playing.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Ehlers is "0 for career" when it comes to playoff goals (zero goals in 23 games). I'd like to see what we could get for him in the off-season or on draft day.

Here is how Wheeler performed his first two playoffs at the same ages as Ehlers:

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 10.03.32 AM.png

Serious question. Is he also a playoff choker?

Reactions: hn777 and MardyBum

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Ehlers is "0 for career" when it comes to playoff goals (zero goals in 23 games). I'd like to see what we could get for him in the off-season or on draft day.

We need to build a team that can win in the playoffs. Some of our smallish guys spent their playoff shifts doing all kinds of on ice gymnastics and pirouettes to avoid anything that might resemble them getting body checked. They didn't go anywhere near the front of the Blues net other than the odd fly by out of fear of having to play playoff hockey. Ehlers and Roslovic are the worse for that. Little was pretty effective along the boards given his size. Perreault was completely ineffective for many other reasons, the biggest one being that he is just plain completely ineffective. Ehlers, Roslo and Perreault need to go if we ever expect to make any real noise in the playoffs. Move 'em out.

On the D front, let's see what we get back for Trouba but it could be pretty ugly next year. Chevy will probably have no choice but to overpay and resign Giraffe man. It is time for Maurice to stop protecting Chevy from obvious questions surrounding the wisdom of the Kulikov contract, and play Beaulieu over Kulikov. Buy him out or sit him - Kuli. But don't give away solid roster players to hide the Kuli contract issue, like we did with Armia to wallpaper over the Mason contract F up.

Last edited:
Reactions: DannyGallivan

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
We need to build a team that can win in the playoffs. Some of our smallish guys spent their playoff shifts doing all kinds of on ice gymnastics and pirouettes to avoid anything that might resemble them getting body checked. They didn't go anywhere near the front of the Blues net other than the odd fly by out of fear of having to play playoff hockey. Ehlers and Roslovic are the worse for that. Little was pretty effective along the boards given his size. Perreault was completely ineffective for many other reasons, the biggest one being that he is just plain completely ineffective. Ehlers, Roslo and Perreault need to go if we ever expect to make any real noise in the playoffs. Move 'em out.

On the D front, let's see what we get back for Trouba but it could be pretty ugly next year. Chevy will probably have no choice but to overpay and resign Giraffe man. It is time for Maurice to stop protecting Chevy from obvious questions surrounding the wisdom of the Kulikov contract, and play Beaulieu over Kulikov. Buy him out or sit him - Kuli. But don't give away solid roster players to hide the Kuli contract issue, like we did with Armia to wallpaper over the Mason contract F up.

I thought KC was the worst for giving up a puck or possession for fear of getting hit.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Here is how Wheeler performed his first two playoffs at the same ages as Ehlers:

View attachment 219619

What was his ice time? Who were his line-mates? Are you saying that Ehlers' trajectory will be exactly as Wheeler's? Apples and oranges.

Ehlers has a job... that job is to score. The most important time to score is in the playoffs. If you want to compare him to other Jets, Brandon Tanev has five goals in 22 playoff games and Myers has 5 goals in 26 playoff games as a Jet. Neither of those guys are expected to be regular goal scorers.

Ehlers may learn how to play in the playoffs. He may learn to shoot when in the slot instead of pass to someone in the corner. He may learn to go to the net (lots of Jets need to learn that one). But right now, he should have enough on his regular season resume to make him attractive to another team. We're not going to get a huge return if/when we trade Perreault. We should get a decent piece or two back if it's Ehlers who goes.

And at the end of the day, what are we losing... his zero goals in two playoffs? I'm fine if we keep him because other GM's are trying to fleece Chevy, but he's a name that can help us in a move.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011

I do share some of your concerns about our smaller skilled forwards. The problem as I see it though is that these are the type of player that gets a team into the playoffs over the course of a very long season. It may be that our mix is not quite right and that is where Chevy needs to evaluate and make changes. I believe he is a smart hockey guy and will do what he can.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Not going to answer your question. Rather just wanted to point out that most HF boardies would make terrible investment counselors. Everyone wants to sell low.

Reactions: DashingDane

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
What was his ice time? Who were his line-mates? Are you saying that Ehlers' trajectory will be exactly as Wheeler's? Apples and oranges.

Ehlers has a job... that job is to score. The most important time to score is in the playoffs. If you want to compare him to other Jets, Brandon Tanev has five goals in 22 playoff games and Myers has 5 goals in 26 playoff games as a Jet. Neither of those guys are expected to be regular goal scorers.

Ehlers may learn how to play in the playoffs. He may learn to shoot when in the slot instead of pass to someone in the corner. He may learn to go to the net (lots of Jets need to learn that one). But right now, he should have enough on his regular season resume to make him attractive to another team. We're not going to get a huge return if/when we trade Perreault. We should get a decent piece or two back if it's Ehlers who goes.

And at the end of the day, what are we losing... his zero goals in two playoffs? I'm fine if we keep him because other GM's are trying to fleece Chevy, but he's a name that can help us in a move.

I actually don't disagree with moving him. I disagree with the reason you are stating for moving him. Their ice-time was very comparable in their first two playoffs with blake playing 19min in his third PO's and only getting 1 goal. I was simply trying to point out calling Ehlers a bad playoff performer is probably a bit premature when you look at other players. Blake Wheeler's first productive playoff performance happened in his 12th season in the league aka last season, yet no one is considers him a failure.

I'm not trying to say Ehlers shouldn't do better because he definitely should but the emphasis on this years PO performance is a bit over the top imo.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

I think Scheif is just burned out. I love hockey but couldn't eat, sleep and breathe it for years like he has. Step away a bit and find a diversion for a while. Might reset him for next year with a fresh perspective.

Reactions: irunthepeg

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I actually don't disagree with moving him. I disagree with the reason you are stating for moving him. Their ice-time was very comparable in their first two playoffs with blake playing 19min in his third PO's and only getting 1 goal. I was simply trying to point out calling Ehlers a bad playoff performer is probably a bit premature when you look at other players. Blake Wheeler's first productive playoff performance happened in his 12th season in the league aka last season, yet no one is considers him a failure.

I'm not trying to say Ehlers shouldn't do better because he definitely should but the emphasis on this years PO performance is a bit over the top imo.
Wheeler's trajectory is a bit of an outlier. He's a classic late bloomer in a lot of areas. I don't expect that Ehlers necessarily will be the same. I have no issues waiting to see if he'll eventually catch on in the playoffs, but right now his stock is probably pretty high despite his playoff performance. One more season of zero playoff goals will turn off a lot of other GMs.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Not going to answer your question. Rather just wanted to point out that most HF boardies would make terrible investment counselors. Everyone wants to sell low.

Holding on to an asset with the hopes it'll go up, with no sound reasoning as to why it'll go up, is far far worse investment advice.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Wheeler's trajectory is a bit of an outlier. He's a classic late bloomer in a lot of areas. I don't expect that Ehlers necessarily will be the same. I have no issues waiting to see if he'll eventually catch on in the playoffs, but right now his stock is probably pretty high despite his playoff performance. One more season of zero playoff goals will turn off a lot of other GMs.

Do you really think NHL team scouts only look at the boxscore? I don't think he has looked half as bad as it's being made out to be these last two playoffs. And yes, I realize I am biased towards his performance but I've seen several rational posters state he has been unlucky. If he wasn't creating chances for his linemates, drawing penalties and gaining zones I would tend to agree with you, though.

I think trading him now is a good option in terms of shoring up some roster holes that need to be addressed and could be a win/win for the Jets and Nicky. Not because of his lack of playoff goals but because of Paul Maurice's puzzling use of him.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Do you really think NHL team scouts only look at the boxscore? I don't think he has looked half as bad as it's being made out to be these last two playoffs. And yes, I realize I am biased towards his performance but I've seen several rational posters state he has been unlucky. If he wasn't creating chances for his linemates, drawing penalties and gaining zones I would tend to agree with you, though.

I think trading him now is a good option in terms of shoring up some roster holes that need to be addressed and could be a win/win for the Jets and Nicky. Not because of his lack of playoff goals but because of Paul Maurice's puzzling use of him.
30 teams would take him in a heartbeat regardless of play offs

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
oh boy. Patrik is going to not think about his contract and forget everything involved in hockey and focus on other stuff.................Fortnite? please no, how about you concentrate on hockey this offseason and train harder.
Now you’ve done it, I don’t want to see the North American vs European training argument. At least not until September. That thread last year was a disaster.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Eberle played 13 playoff games with the Oilers a couple of years ago. 0 goals. 2 assists. Got traded to the Isles for Ryan Strome because of it.

And this year Eberle's got 4 goals, 2 assists in 6 playoff games.

Things are streaky, prone to variance, unpredictable. Relax.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The main thing that drives me nuts about this season is that we have taken a couple steps back and our game has regressed.
It is completely baffling how this team suddenly just stopped playing the way that brought them so much success last season.

I realize expectations were high after last season but the way we played and under performed this season was beyond frustrating to watch.

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad