Post-Game Talk: Jets 2.0 beat Jets 1.0 5-3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quick thoughts (8.8)...

CSW - Embarrassing game for them. It started on the first shift with Wheeler trying twice to make a soft chip to Scheifele at his own blue line and getting caught. Later poor D zone play led to two more penalties against. They are too cute and not intense enough in 2/3 of the rink. Sometimes they seem to think that working hard means taking a long shift. Break up Scheifele and Wheeler to get them focused.

ELL - Not as good as recent play. Little was fine. So was Ehlers. Laine was too lackadaisical at times. They just lacked top intensity.

CLT - Another big game. Lowry is our best forward so far this season. Copp is such a hard working and honest player. They were good on the PK.

LRP - I really liked this line. Lemieux with his best game. Fast and hard on the puck and a really good netfront presence. Nice to see Perreault pot one.

44-8 Just outstanding. Morrissey is a top end D. Trouba has quietly had a really strong start to the season.

7-33 Overall solid game, though Chiarot still struggles with mobility. Nice to see Buff lay on the body.

70-57 Yikes! Other than his goal, Myers was all sorts of messed up. He just doesn't manage well with a quick game. His penalty was awful and lazy. I still don't think I've seen Morrow win a board battle yet, and he does way to much looping in his movements instead of straight lines and stops and starts.

Brossoit was terrific. Great to see that the Jets have a solid tandem in goal.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Lorey is a beast in the face off circle.

Morrissey is really steady.
Lorey your ex??
But seriously I think Lowry on the pp to score some greasy goals would make him a Selke finalist. This team has so many great players. Really no mediocre forwards. only Chariot Morrow Kuli are weak. Even our back up is strong. Hope Petan is up to his pb. The sky is the limit granted we still need luck and good coaching.

Reactions: Guardian17

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
PVR'd the game, went to work, avoided all Jet talk, came home, watched the game. Yahoo!

Morrisey is fantastic. Morrows gap is terrible. Laine looks like he wants to give a good chunk of his 11 mill contract back to the team to keep it together. I know he's young, but at this rate, he's not getting 7 Mill per year and that's OK.

Little works the boards well and gets no support from his wingers.

I can't get over these uniforms, they just look so good!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Everyone has their own agenda and sometimes there's more to it than how the "team" is doing.

We're fine - we did the same thing last year - slow start.
I'm super encouraged by our secondary -bottom 6 is looking good and that is the part of the game that is hardest to fix if it's broke.

CSW are not looking good but don't expect to see any changes anytime soon - you know Paul is going to leave them alone until they get their mojo back - and they will. Too much talent on this line to fail.

Record looks good to me - every team we've met has come out with their best effort to topple one of the SC favorites.

I think a few of them are also watching a lot of tape from LY's Vegas team - these so called less talented teams are bringing a super tight forecheck and aggressive D game that I didn't notice around the league that much until Vegas came along.

I don't think I've ever seen the Jets with as good a bottom 6 as we have now.. They are actually winning games for us, along with our aggressive defenseman scoring. That 4th line could be huge for the Jets--maybe Perrault will come alive playing next to Lemieux--it looks like they have great chemistry together. I think they will. I really like Lemieux on that line. ( good fit)

I'm a little worried about our "first line"--they are not playing hard and driving the play like they usually do. I hope they get their act together, and they probably will. Really they are playing lazy hockey right now, and not digging down deep. Connor has also need been good the last couple of games.

Our second line is slowly coming alive, and should do well. Looks like Ehlers is starting to skate harder with some determination, and that is the key to that line. I think they will do fine. When Ehlers start to go, that sets up Little and Laine.

The bright spot for me --is our defenseman are scoring,, and winning games for us. Morrisssey has been the most improved defenseman, and could have a huge year. Trouba had a great game and was very dominating, with 3 assists. Buff and Myers can also score, so if the forward lines aren't scoring our backend can still win us games.

Right now, I'd say we're firing on only 6 cylinders, but when we get all 8 cylinders firing at the same time--"we'll be one tough team to beat."

Reactions: LowLefty

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Was this concern just for the past 5 games ? :huh: talk abour cherry picking.
Anyways , you sure plus 17+mins?
1 game against Edmonton 20mins.
Never seen a 40 goal scorer with lesses ice time than him.

I never ever said mistreated.
I always say not optimize.
Big difference.

I am not just talking about Laine here now.
Its optimizing the top 6.

Anyways as i always say.
If Jets are winning im happy.

Go Jets Go:thumbu:
Not cherry picking, just easy to use. NHL.com lists TOI for last 5 games without me having to grab a calculator and go game by game. But since you need to know the entire season, he averages about 16:40 per game, and is the focus of the power play. His average isn’t in the top 10 among forwards, but sits in the second line area of every team. The biggest drawback for ice time...he isn’t responsible enough for the PK

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thought our D played extremely well outside of Morrow. Troubs and Mo played outstanding. Another solid outing from Brossoit. 1st line did not play well until the halfway point. Bad penalties by that line too. Homestand has been nearly perfect so far.

Trouba has looked very good to me the last couple of games. :thumbu:

Morrissey is beginning to look scary good. With PP1 time he is going to get expensive. First World Contender problems. :laugh:

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
My number one worry for this year was playing Helle too much.

Frenchy 2 is making me a very happy fan.

I agree this Frenchy2 is fabulous -"great find by Chevy" and another blunder by Chiarelli. This is no fluke for Frenchy 2--he was great in the pre-saeson, and great in his 2 regular season starts. His save percentage likely is around .950 %- can't ask for anything better than that. Could it be he turns out to be "better than Helle" ? :huh:

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets lose the Corsi battle 58-42%

Jets lose the xGoals battle 62-38%

Jets a bottom-3 team in the NHL in the season in xGoals %

This game was a moral defeat. Jets only won this and the Vancouver game because of those teams' lack of finishing talent. Against the Leafs this is a 7-4 game.

Wheeler looks awful and that contract doesn't even kick until next season. I have genuine concerns that that contract could be an albatross on this team.

Not trying to be an alarmist but it is time to panic!

I was sick to my stomach watching the Scheifele line thrown out shift after shift after they shat the bed so hard and took 3 penalties.

Mark Schiefele: 21:26 mins TOI

Blake Wheeler: 20:46 TOI

Two players who were 23% and 22% Corsi respectively tonight. :huh:

Don't hide it! You do want to be an alarmist. Time to panic when we are 5-2-1? Really? And that while our top 2 lines are slumping? They will come around. Then what?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Tougher last(next) 2 opponents to finish of the longest home stretch.

Both clean win would be soooo nice.

Division rival
And TML nuff said :)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Blues beat the Leafs easily in Toronto. Held them to one goal. Secret? The screwed things down tight defensively, held them to about 20 SOG. Watching the Jets t his year, I don't know if we can even play a defensive style game. Doubt it.

You mean allowing 40 shots game in and game out isn't sound coaching?:sarcasm:

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Don't hide it! You do want to be an alarmist. Time to panic when we are 5-2-1? Really? And that while our top 2 lines are slumping? They will come around. Then what?

I'm sure someone else will be having an off night that can be criticized.

It's easy to be a pessimist. If you're right, you can bask in your precognitive abilities. If you're wrong, you can be "pleasantly surprised".

Reactions: thetracksuit

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
im not saying Brossoit is a better goalie than helle.... its a cap space issue.... every year it seems 1 or 2 no name goalies take a huge leap forward...if Brossoit ends up being one of those guys they should take advantage of it given the impending salary cap hell the jets are going to face soon
`

Far to early to say, but Brossoit looks very good, and you never know, he could turn out to be better than Helle ? This would open up a wide range of options for the Jets. If he keeps on performing like he is, the Jet's should try to sign him for 4-5 years at a great price. His save percentage so far is .951 % --and that's pretty tough to beat. We'll have to see if he can keep this up--hope so. He also looked great in pre-season, so I think the guy is "for real."

Problem is when Seattle enters the league next year, the Jet's are only allowed to protect 2 Goaltenders --so we may lose him--the same way New York lost Raanta.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
There will always be a contingent of fans who think Mo is a bad coach no matter how he does. It's like that on any of the team forums that have a large enough fan base. There is even a contingent of TO fans who think Babcock is a terrible coach.

I believe every team has a horrible coach. At least that’s what I read on HF Boards.
Toronto fans (only some of course) we’re discussing how terrible a coach Babcock is after their last loss. Those same fans must be tightening the noose after the loss to the Blues.

Seems to me that even if CSW is the best combo for us in the long run that the team should work on some back up combos for when they are needed (injury or slump wise). The media scrum guys aren’t too likely to throw the negative stats / results of the team in Pauls face. If they did I’m pretty sure he would blow them off. At least CSW was on the ice for a 5 on 5 goal (even if it was the D that scored it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->