Post-Game Talk: Jets 2.0 beat Jets 1.0 5-3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
We don't, but Maurice still left him there once Buff returned which is pretty significant especially considering it was only two games that Buff was gone for.

VERY significant for sure.
Perhaps in preparing to sign him again they are looking to give Josh those opportunities that he deserves.

The timing just worked out perfect.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Wheeler was a disaster yesterday, he has been so positionally irresponsible so far it's getting very concerning, there is definitely spill over to other players. The whole top lines rotation is off this season, they simply aren't playing very well off each other and making good decisions. The first Keller goal was directly a result of a horrible decision by Wheeler to needlessly double team the puck, tried for a big hit that completely took him out of the play.

Didn't think ELL were as bad as some seem to think. Little was very good again and was driving play, Laine had some moments but was pretty loose with the puck a couple of times. Turn overs at both blue lines when he had a streaking Little cutting through the seam, one being the catalyst for Keller's second goal.

Morrow and Chiarot's gap control are going to cost this team against better competition all year. No way we go deep in the playoffs with the D as presently constructed. A lot of people say the Jets have no holes, this is a big one imo. It's shocking how bad they are at it, they give up the blue line so much and turn everything into a fire drill. Morrissey and Trouba were simply outstanding and thank God for Buff.

I love Lurch, wore my white Lowry yesterday, he's such an important player. Copp is struggling with the puck, he played well but his touch was off. Tanev, another strong game but seems to be having a couple of defensive brain farts per game now, needs to clean a few things up.

Myers, meh.....nice shot though and does a good job pinching down and sealing the wall to keep the play alive. Some good interchange with the forwards as well and his read with Trouba on the his goal was outstanding.

Really good to see Perreault score, it's been coming for awhile. Was impressed with Lemieux's game yesterday, hard on the puck, kept his feet moving, good angles, good possession and made some things happen. Was tidy in his own end a few times as well. Roslo did some good things out there, he's clearly getting more comfortable.

Coyotes are a volume shot team, wasn't bothered too much by the shot count, they throw everything to the net.

Croissant was brilliant.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Just finished watching the Vancouver and Jets 1.o games back to back.

Well I'm glad Little has shown his goal scoring and finally Morrisey is on the power play :thumbu:

Glad we kept our cool with the officiating and didn't lose are cool and game like with the Preds...

When our four lines of players gears finally mesh up this Jets 2.0 team will be unstoppable most nights when their skating like the portage and main winter wind cutting deep into the opposing team optimism...

That Goalie tandem is looking pretty sweet right now eh!

Looking forward to the blues leaf games...

Go :jets Go

It's fun being a Jets Fan...:D so why get your shorts in a nut over something said silly like (a new team this year) I just don't get it...

Were contending and I am contented with that over "its a process"...

Cheers

Reactions: GNP and Tommigun

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Happy with the win, but I'll need more than a couple wins against bad teams to restore my faith after the Oilers game.

#debbieDowner
#sorrynotsorry

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wheeler was a disaster yesterday, he has been so positionally irresponsible so far it's getting very concerning, there is definitely spill over to other players. The whole top lines rotation is off this season, they simply aren't playing very well off each other and making good decisions. The first Keller goal was directly a result of a horrible decision by Wheeler to needlessly double team the puck, tried for a big hit that completely took him out of the play.

Didn't think ELL were as bad as some seem to think. Little was very good again and was driving play, Laine had some moments but was pretty loose with the puck a couple of times. Turn overs at both blue lines when he had a streaking Little cutting through the seam, one being the catalyst for Keller's second goal.

Morrow and Chiarot's gap control are going to cost this team against better competition all year. No way we go deep in the playoffs with the D as presently constructed. A lot of people say the Jets have no holes, this is a big one imo. It's shocking how bad they are at it, they give up the blue line so much and turn everything into a fire drill. Morrissey and Trouba were simply outstanding and thank God for Buff.

I love Lurch, wore my white Lowry yesterday, he's such an important player. Copp is struggling with the puck, he played well but his touch was off. Tanev, another strong game but seems to be having a couple of defensive brain farts per game now, needs to clean a few things up.

Myers, meh.....nice shot though and does a good job pinching down and sealing the wall to keep the play alive. Some good interchange with the forwards as well and his read with Trouba on the his goal was outstanding.

Really good to see Perreault score, it's been coming for awhile. Was impressed with Lemieux's game yesterday, hard on the puck, kept his feet moving, good angles, good possession and made some things happen. Was tidy in his own end a few times as well. Roslo did some good things out there, he's clearly getting more comfortable.

Coyotes are a volume shot team, wasn't bothered too much by the shot count, they throw everything to the net.

Croissant was brilliant.
I agree with a lot of this post but I agree with the bolded paragraph 100%.
Nobody knows what went on with Chevy and Enstrom but surely he would have re-signed for another year at 2.5-3m? He is sorely missed on the D.
I said after the Preds game that I thought we would take 75% of the available points in the next 20 games. We are at 87.5% with the Blues and Leafs coming in to finish off the home stand. Take 2 points out of those two games and we are still at 75%.
Some things need to be tweaked and I would love to see Kulikov play like they thought he could or a trade involving Myers for a defensively smart LHD that can play on the 2nd pairing. I'd even throw in a 3rd or 2nd depending. I wouldn't care too much about his O game as I think the back end has enough O as it is.
Myers and a 3rd for Mirco Mueller?

Reactions: Ducky10

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So the sky ISN'T falling anymore? :laugh: (hard to tell by this thread)

I was hoping Condor was going to start playing more like he did in the playoffs but man, he has been bad in our zone. On the first goal he was mia and left Keller wide open for an hour. No idea why he went up high there (some blame has to be on the forward but still). Then of course he generates some good chances for the team and scores a goal. If he could just be competent in his own end I'd be happy.

Myers and Morrow DO NOT WORK. Please, scratch Morrow and put in Kulikov. Please. I'm even ok with putting Morrow with Buff but honestly I do not think Morrow has been good at all this year. Lots of bad decisions and turnovers - but he is a bit more mobile than Chia. I honestly don't think Chiarot has been bad... he's just been... Chiarot.

Again, I liked Lemieux Roslo and Perreault! I think they are our 4th line! Thank god Mattchu scored - hopefully the floodgates open for him.

God Wheeler and Scheifele can suck on the defensive side of the game. They turn the puck over so much within 2 - 3 feet of our blueline. They need to eliminate that.

Brossoit was good! I am feeling really comfortable with our goaltending for the first time since the Jets returned

I am starting to worry that Laine is just a one trick pony. Sure, a one trick pony that can score 20 PP goals and 50 overall is a nice pony to have, but he has shown so much more. I STILL to this day believe that the hit and concussion changed him. I was hoping he'd get over it by now but there is something blocking him from carrying the puck with speed, making sick dangles, holding on to it with confidence and making plays. Is it fear?
Scheifele and Wheeler were awful at the beginning of last season, but they were scoring more. By late in the season and into the playoffs they were clicking on all cylinders, so I can see why Maurice might wait before changing them up. But I do hope he's pointing out their obvious flaws in the D zone and neutral zone. They also need to be more disciplined in their shift lengths. As much as anything, I think it's a mindset. They are too focused on producing offense, it seems.

Reactions: Jet

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Lorey your ex??
But seriously I think Lowry on the pp to score some greasy goals would make him a Selke finalist. This team has so many great players. Really no mediocre forwards. only Chariot Morrow Kuli are weak. Even our back up is strong. Hope Petan is up to his pb. The sky is the limit granted we still need luck and good coaching.

I can't spell...:oops:

Reactions: probablywrongbut

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Concerned about D. Wouldn't mind trading one of Ehlers/Connor/Roslovic for a young stud on the blueline. The left side after Morrissey is a real weakness. Niku not ready yet.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Concerned about D. Wouldn't mind trading one of Ehlers/Connor/Roslovic for a young stud on the blueline. The left side after Morrissey is a real weakness. Niku not ready yet.
I think Niku could be a very good number 4 with Buff. But, I can also see how we would get by if we traded Ehlers and filled his position with Perrault this year and Ves long term. That said, I don't think many teams would have a better top 4 than Mo Trouba. Niku Buff outside of Nash. We are too quick to call guys not ready and not give them a chance with this club while many young guys who might be seen as not ready are doing great for Ottawa and Calgary this season when given a chance.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
No use rushing Niku.
Trade Ehlers and a 2nd to the Ducks for Lindholm.

What's up with Kuli and why isn't he playing?
He didn't look great in games I seen him in but I would think he would need to work out the kinks since his surgery.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Trade Ehlers talk is insane, c'mon already. Niku isn't that far away, hope to see him by Christmas. Can't see how he's a downgrade from Chiarot or Morrow at all. Once Kuli is fully healthy it should be,

Morrissey-Trouba
Niku- Buff
Kuli-Myers

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Trade Ehlers talk is insane, c'mon already. Niku isn't that far away, hope to see him by Christmas. Can't see how he's a downgrade from Chiarot or Morrow at all. Once Kuli is fully healthy it should be,

Morrissey-Trouba
Niku- Buff
Kuli-Myers

This definitely seems more in line with True Norths plans.
Calls for big trades don’t really line up with how we do business.

If us struggling has us in 4th place overall then the team can likely...

Wait for Kulikov to recover more and contribute better (ie insulate Myers)
Wait for Niku to get more seasoning on the farm.
Wait to closer to the deadline and bring in some top 4 help.
Doesn’t need to be a stud just someone who’s better then our bottom guys.

Trading Ehlers or another key piece in October seems knee jerk (surprise internet mgt style). The Jets as constructed can likely contend for the division title. They certainly need to improve in a few areas by mid season but there are several ways to do that and I doubt a blockbuster trade is the avenue they take.

Trading a guy who committed to a long term contract with us doesn’t send the best message to our upcoming RFA stars.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

Morrissey-Trouba
Niku- Buff
Kuli-Myers
That D looks quite good IMO. let's hope that Kuli returns to the level he was on before his injury and that Niku gets a shot at the job with Buff. In a few months we could have a really good puck moving and high scoring defense.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA

I agree this Frenchy2 is fabulous -"great find by Chevy" and another blunder by Chiarelli. This is no fluke for Frenchy 2--he was great in the pre-saeson, and great in his 2 regular season starts. His save percentage likely is around .950 %- can't ask for anything better than that. Could it be he turns out to be "better than Helle" ? :huh:

Yes, it is nice to see the opposition run into a hot backup Jets goalie. How many times in the past few years have the Jets been stonewalled by a backup goalie.

Reactions: GNP

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Scheifele and Wheeler were awful at the beginning of last season, but they were scoring more. By late in the season and into the playoffs they were clicking on all cylinders, so I can see why Maurice might wait before changing them up. But I do hope he's pointing out their obvious flaws in the D zone and neutral zone. They also need to be more disciplined in their shift lengths. As much as anything, I think it's a mindset. They are too focused on producing offense, it seems.

Even the best lines can struggle over stretches and when this line struggles they start trying too hard to score. That leads to cheating the game and cheating the shift length. They need to relax, play fast, play on the right side of the puck, quit flying the zone, AND LET THE SCORING COME TO THEM.

Our top line reminds me in a way of Buff. Dustin is at his worst when the Jets are chasing games and he is out there for those long shifts taking risks trying to win it by himself.

Despite the fact they are really painful to watch right now CSW will be fine. Thank god we are winning the games we should while they are struggling. Nice to have depth and goaltending.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad