Post-Game Talk: Jet the Eff Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
On the bright side kinks pair of saves made it to hockey Reddit. Should've only been one save, but I know you all know that

Kinkaid just wanted to make the highlight reel.

Although I was going to suggest him as one of the shooters before we blew it late.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Moore certainly would help in OT but one guy shouldn't make THAT much a difference, not like he was on the ice all the OT shifts in previous years or we won them all. The entire team looks clueless in the 3-on-3. Maybe freeing Blake Coleman would help.

Also, if we were 0-5 in the shootout vs OT, would people be throwing up pics of Josefson or wishing we had played Stafford more?

I was actually glad we played Stafford for the brief moment this game looked like it was going to a shootout. It would have been dumb luck from Hynes though, putting him in the lineup when we finally got back to the shootout.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Moore in OT was worth keeping. His skating ability and size absolutely helped us get the puck and take off the other way in the blink of an eye, where as Severson and Vatanen are not nearly as quick, and in Vats case, so much smaller.

Moore also had a damn good shot. No way if he was on this team do we lose that game, because at some point he grabs the puck and takes off the other way, or is up Hall and Nico's ass on that botched 2-0.

If MOORE is a third pairing guy with better players ahead of him sure. But keeping someone for a specialized skill like OT or shootout is a luxury player. The team would benefit from that of course but it wouldn’t be a panacea. The roster needs a lot more talent. MOORE struggles to defend consistently and he would have to play ahead of Butcher on the second pair. He’s probably better than Greene at this point but not enough to move the needle in my view. This team could really use Smith to arrive next year and find the right partner for him. Not sure that’s Vats. Mueller and Sevs on the second pair would probably be ok. Butcher and Santini on the third pair would probably be fine as well. Up front they need another player on Hall’s level and another player on Bratt’s level as I see it. If they finish poorly this year they’ll have a shot at an impact player at the top of the draft but that’s bitter consolation.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm still trying to figure out who thought Greene/Lovejoy and Yak/Severson were good ideas as pairings. The latter was giving me flashbacks of Moore/Severson all night.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not going to the Net is an epidemic with this team. It isn’t just Nico.

Hynes harped about it a lot in preseason but no one seemed to listen to him about it. Hall is included in this. He isn’t driving the net this season.

Well he jumped through the crease today to get a dirty goal, but that only put lipstick on a bad game overall.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well he jumped through the crease today to get a dirty goal, but that only put lipstick on a bad game overall.

He hasn’t done that much at all this year. Did it a lot last year.

This team plays frightened. When they don’t they can be pretty good, but last month they have played like scared children.

Reactions: NJ07102

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Not going to the Net is an epidemic with this team. It isn’t just Nico.

Hynes harped about it a lot in preseason but no one seemed to listen to him about it. Hall is included in this. He isn’t driving the net this season.

They seem to look for a pretty passing play too much. I get that volume shooting doesn't always work either, but they're just not talented enough to try to score from the outside.

It especially bothers me from somebody like Wood, who seems to think he doesn't need to do the things that got him his contract anymore.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Hynes coaching cost us another loss in OT. Go look at the amount of minutes he played Vatanen and Hall in OT, and how he kept them out there for that last shift, which Vatanen being out of gas also contributed to that loss since he was in a bad position for that initial shot against, and had no stamina to move over and try to stop the Jets from scoring off that rebound that they won it off of.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
They had a timeout with 56 seconds left and went with the "big guns" to finish the OT. I can hardly blame the coach for going that route. It just ended up being a mess after Nico and Vatanen blew the odd man rush, then Nico got stripped and it was basically 3 Jets players with only Vatanen back to defend. To be fair to Nico, if he had gotten away with the puck there was probably a 2-on-1 with him and Hall going up ice. He didn't, and they were both caught and hung Vatanen out to dry.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
They had a timeout with 56 seconds left and went with the "big guns" to finish the OT. I can hardly blame the coach for going that route. It just ended up being a mess after Nico and Vatanen blew the odd man rush, then Nico got stripped and it was basically 3 Jets players with only Vatanen back to defend. To be fair to Nico, if he had gotten away with the puck there was probably a 2-on-1 with him and Hall going up ice. He didn't, and they were both caught and hung Vatanen out to dry.
a coach should never get on a player for trying to make a strong play and getting beat by a stronger player.

Hischier looked like wind backchecking and getting that puck, but Scheifele isnt just good hes elite.

I dont get how people are hating on him for that

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
a coach should never get on a player for trying to make a strong play and getting beat by a stronger player.

Hischier looked like wind backchecking and getting that puck, but Scheifele isnt just good hes elite.

Hes also only 19, but lets get mad at everyone I guess

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Nico takes were hot garbage.

He had a bad OT, but jeez you could burn down all of California with some of those takes.

The OT was a symptom of a larger problem with this current team. They too often default to passive roles instead of playing assertive and being aggressive towards the net.

Team has very little confidence in themselves and they seem to be simply tuning the coaching staff out if they are indeed preaching it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Not every criticism of a play, shift, or game a player has means somebody is "hating on" that player. Nico didn't have a good OT. That's okay. Nobody is perfect. Nico is a smart kid. I'm sure he'll learn from it and be a better player for it.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
pretty sure everyone loves nico but he’s not above criticism for that ot- he blew two prime scoring chances, which are more egregious than the defensive play which happens against elite players.

he’s done that more than a few times though, he needs to start shooting the puck and hopefully he learns from this and not always look for the nice pass

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i agree that that’s a larger problem with the team though.

my biggest issue is the same thing happens every game - they come out blazing and really taking it to the other team and don’t score, or score once. then once the other team weathers that flurry they basically just take over and score way more easily than we ever do

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Yeah Nico didn't have a great OT, knowing him he'll probably blame himself.

During the game though, he did break up multiple rushes busting his ass on the back check and was often the only guy back in our zone defending.

Exactly, he also learns from his mistakes and very rarely makes the same mistake twice.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
his unwillingness to shoot is a problem he’s had his whole time here, hopefully last night was enough to snap him out of that mindset

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i don’t have any problems with the rest of his game though, he looks stronger than last season and it shows in his board battles and his ability to keep control of the puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad