Jesse Puljujarvi vs Alex Nylander

Nylander or Puljujarvi?

• Total voters

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Neither has shown enough to convince me they are NHLers, 100%. They still have some potential to be top guys, though unlikely

I think the difference is Puljujarvi has more potential to be a decent bottom six winger, if he doesn't make it as a top scorer. Nylander will more likely play in the minor leagues if he doesn't earn PP minutes and scoring line duty in the NHL. I just don't see him as an energy or defensive player, able to play small minutes and not have the puck a lot.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In a vacuum Puljujarvi. But, when you look at the realities of their contract situations its Alex Nylander due to the fact he can go down to the AHL without having to clear waivers, so you aren't locked into playing him in your top 9. Puljujarvi offers more versatility and Nylander is a scoring winger or bust, with little in-between. To be honest, I wouldn't really care for either on the Leafs because I don't see a ready-made opportunity for them to be NHLers with us unless for some reason we move on from Marner. Puljujarvi's value is really hurt by the fact the Oilers burned out his waiver exempt status to play him on the 4th line. Truly terrible asset management done out of desperation and no thought of the future.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Depends where Puljujärvi goes IMO. I like little brother Nylander alot though (always have). As of right now you have to say him.

Reactions: AB13

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I can't choose. I think their development path was bungled by trash organizations. I like both guys as a change of scenery candidate. Given that Nylander has already been traded, I went with him.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
From what I've seen, Nylander has shown he has the chops to play bottom six minutes in the NHL without being a liability. He's a smart player, whereas Pulju perhaps relies too heavily on his raw tools and doesn't think the game at a high enough level for those tools to translate nor does he communicate well on the ice with his teammates.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Considering context, Nylander because he plays for a non-dumpster fire organization now in Chicago and is insulated by other skilled players and good hockey people. But in a vacuum, it's more a coinflip.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
I'll take the one who isn't in the Oilers organization, better chance of success. Nylander for me.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Nylander, comes from a hockey family and has decent IQ. Bustjarvi has the tools but no tool box. He’s literally clueless on the ice.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Depends where Puljujärvi goes IMO. I like little brother Nylander alot though (always have). As of right now you have to say him.

Why do you have to say him? He did not even produce well in the minors. At least in the limited time Pulu was in the minors he did well.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
From what I've seen, Nylander has shown he has the chops to play bottom six minutes in the NHL without being a liability. He's a smart player, whereas Pulju perhaps relies too heavily on his raw tools and doesn't think the game at a high enough level for those tools to translate nor does he communicate well on the ice with his teammates.

Interesting. Other people are saying exactly the opposite.

Jon Bonham

Jun 24, 2019
Gosh this place is fickle. A few months ago, I would've believed Puljujärvi was the second coming.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Gosh this place is fickle. A few months ago, I would've believed Puljujärvi was the second coming.

Really? A few months ago you would have believed that? A few months ago all non -Oiler fanbases were calling him bustjarvi and every other clever thing you can think of. And about half the Oilers fans were doing the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad