Value of: Jesse Puljujarvi to the Jets

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Guessing the Oilers would rather risk the bust and get nothing for him later than take this return. Dude would probably develop well with the Jets as they could find some offensive linemates that aren't expected to carry the team.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oh I totally understand your POV and that’s why I haven’t responded negatively to any post......I’m totally empathetic with the Oilers position with their management and Pool Party results. Not a single post of mine could be called trolling. But at the same time I would expect Oiler fans to say yeh we get he hasn’t performed well but we can’t afford to give up him yet and understand why other fans wouldn’t offer up the kitchen sink for him. Understand what I’m saying?

Totally fair.
I appreciate the rational response, something that is in short supply on the main boards.

I'm (we are) just frustrated by the whole Puljujarvi situation especially the way they are handling him in this 4 game scratch stretch.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Struggled in the AHL? He may not have dominated but he did fine in AHL as a 18yo.. better than many other top prospects. If you can agree that both vesalainen and Niku would be considered busts if they are not NHL contributors this time next yr then I will buy your koolaid.

I can adjust my adjective from struggled to something slightly more positive but 33 points in 49 games as a 4th OA forward.....isn’t dominating. I think we can agree on that.

I would agree if after 100 NHL games if Vesalainen was struggling his value would of dropped significantly from his draft position. If Niku ever plays a 100 NHL games we’ve hit a home run with him.....considering he was drafted in the 7th round.

Not a single post have I stated in any thread Pool Party is a bust......not once. My only point is his value has significantly dropped from his draft position. Fair?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The farm? No one is asking you to give up the farm here but you’re giving up the compost heap and the pig slops and somehow have the gall to defend it from the Jets POV. That’s indefensible, and a part of the reason this board sees a young player struggling and feels that any old spare junk is a reasonable offer.

Average year? He still goes 15-20 in my opinion.

Would you consider Petan and Comrie fair offers for the likes of Nylander, McLeod, Brown, Kunin, Bellows, Tufte, Jones, Gauthier, Frederic, or Rubstov? They’re all first rounders too that have done jack and squat at the NHL level. How about the Jets own resident poor first round pick, Logan Stanley? Is William Lagesson straight up a fair offer because he’s been every bit as good defensively and much more productive offensively and damn the age difference?

There are levels of nuance you’re either not seeing or not understanding between a ‘Here’s the keys to the farm’ offer and ‘here’s a dead coyote carcass the cows didn’t stomp on too bad’ offer. I’m sure you can suss out which end of the spectrum Oiler fans think this offer falls into.

You stated a lot of points here, let me try to answer each:

- You call Petan & Comrie terrible....we can agree to disagree on their values. Petan is a bottom six prospect who “might” do well playing with talent.....he has little to zero chance to win a role on one of the deepest teams in the nhl......no he doesn’t hold great value.....maybe 3rd pick. Comrie is still considered a top goalie prospect within our organization....I’ll agree goalies don’t hold allot of trade value generally. Comrie holds more value to the Jets then his trade value though......keep in mind we suffered from years of Pavs goaltending....shudder.

- Draft position 15-20? Yeh that’s likely reasonable....closer to 20.

- You listed many other prospects.....I won’t respond to each bc that would require to much effort evaluating each. But let me answer it generally by saying it has more to do with their results overall in both leagues, age, etc......not simply saying you have X points in the nhl. I would say more here but it’s late and I’m tired.....

- Stanley.....don’t get me started on him....hated that draft pick. But I will say they stated he was a long term project that would take 3-4 years in the AHL to develop the moment they drafted him.....I’m still waiting to see if they were right or not. But to your point about his value.....I wouldn’t expect anyone to give up much for him at this point......certainly not a 1st rd pick.

- I stated in multi posts how I fully understand why Oiler fans wouldn’t do this trade......I would never expect you to.....but that’s not my point.....my point isn’t to “sell you” on anything you will notice not once did I defend the Jets players or try to point out their results or positives.......I never try to sell people on anything here bc it’s a waste of time TBH. My point is just to represent a non Oiler fan POV and a Jets POV based on our strengths (wingers) & needs (D, goalie, centre prospects).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So 20-30 overall pick for what? a 3rd rounder + a 4th?

Got it.

OP is a Jets fan so Oil fans aren't the ones shopping Pulju for these great WPG assets. If he doesn't fit your team need then discuss it on Jets board or maybe just not post here.

Puljus value doesn't go down just because I feel he is not a need in WPG.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
We’re offering value roughly equal to what we’re getting......no one cares outside of Edmonton his draft position it’s all about results[/QUOTE

Roughly equal to your opinion of what you are getting, not the
oilers opinion of what they are giving. So you can keep your lame offer

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
So 20-30 overall pick for what? a 3rd rounder + a 4th?

Got it.

OP is a Jets fan so Oil fans aren't the ones shopping Pulju for these great WPG assets. If he doesn't fit your team need then discuss it on Jets board or maybe just not post here.

Puljus value doesn't go down just because I feel he is not a need in WPG.

Oilers shopping him? Not to our knowledge

Would the Oilers take OP offer? Nope......been stated multi times.

Pool's value to the Oilers doesn't mean he's valued equally by every other NHL team either. Jets have zero need for him....we're one of the deepest teams in the NHL.....perhaps the deepest at wing specifically thus wouldn't offer much for him. Oilers need Pool I've stated that multi times and won't sell low on him....stated multi times.........but none of that means anything to any other NHL team.......NHL teams will offer whatever they feel he is worth and Oilers would either accept or refuse. Oilers set his price......but that's it......they can't force anyone to pay it. This is becoming a circular & philosophical discussion that's pointless.....Oilers aren't selling low on him....they can't afford to.

I get you guys are frustrated with your management, coach and how Pool has been handled......I wish you guys good luck moving forward.

Reactions: LTIR

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You stated a lot of points here, let me try to answer each:

- You call Petan & Comrie terrible....we can agree to disagree on their values. Petan is a bottom six prospect who “might” do well playing with talent.....he has little to zero chance to win a role on one of the deepest teams in the nhl......no he doesn’t hold great value.....maybe 3rd pick. Comrie is still considered a top goalie prospect within our organization....I’ll agree goalies don’t hold allot of trade value generally. Comrie holds more value to the Jets then his trade value though......keep in mind we suffered from years of Pavs goaltending....shudder.

- Draft position 15-20? Yeh that’s likely reasonable....closer to 20.

- You listed many other prospects.....I won’t respond to each bc that would require to much effort evaluating each. But let me answer it generally by saying it has more to do with their results overall in both leagues, age, etc......not simply saying you have X points in the nhl. I would say more here but it’s late and I’m tired.....

- Stanley.....don’t get me started on him....hated that draft pick. But I will say they stated he was a long term project that would take 3-4 years in the AHL to develop the moment they drafted him.....I’m still waiting to see if they were right or not. But to your point about his value.....I wouldn’t expect anyone to give up much for him at this point......certainly not a 1st rd pick.

- I stated in multi posts how I fully understand why Oiler fans wouldn’t do this trade......I would never expect you to.....but that’s not my point.....my point isn’t to “sell you” on anything you will notice not once did I defend the Jets players or try to point out their results or positives.......I never try to sell people on anything here bc it’s a waste of time TBH. My point is just to represent a non Oiler fan POV and a Jets POV based on our strengths (wingers) & needs (D, goalie, centre prospects).

Lots to decompress here and I’ll take a full stab tomorrow when I can break it down by point but the main thing I would like to focus on at the moment is you agree here that Puljujarvi right now would roughly go 20th overall... but somehow think that Petan and Comrie is ‘all the Jets would offer’ - which I wildly disagree with, a cap crunched team like you guys should be all-in to acquire a cost controlled high potential asset like Puljujarvi if he could be had for non roster pieces or someone like Perrault retained (he isn’t available for those pieces and there’s absolutely no indication the Oilers have even began to consider exploring a trade but I digress)

So you either admit OP is a massive lowball or you think those two should fetch a mid first, which leaves me with a LOT more questions.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’m confused. Why would Edm trade Puljujärvi, who may or may not be a good NHLr, for a guy (Petan ) that is not an NHLr?

No one seems to know, and even the ones defending it in a roundabout way admit it’s not something Edmonton should even consider doing.

Petan would get claimed on waivers, but I don’t think he has much more value than a mid pick.

Unrelated to your post, I’m also not sure where this ‘Puljujarvi struggled in the AHL’ narrative has come from. He had 33 points in 49 games for an AHL team that was *so awful* offensively they had to convert their only offensive defenceman to a winger. 33 points in 49 games for the ‘15 through ‘17 Bakersfield Condors is HARDLY struggling.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
And let me be plain, we’re just as frustrated with stupid trade offers like this one as we are with management and coaching. Us being irritated with our management doesn’t absolve the people knowingly offering pennies on the dollar.

I didn’t see us offering Ryan Strome and Kailer Yamamoto for Laine when he got demoted to the fourth line.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I'd start with Petan and Comrie.

OK, and what would you add and finish the offer with? Don’t keep us in suspense!

It’s a ridiculous offer, BTW, if your hockey sense didn’t know that and this coming from a Jets fan. Don’t embarrass our fandom by making asinine trade offers like this.

Sorry Oilers! We all have people like this.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Myers, a 3rd and Lemieux for RNH...keep the Finn.

Oh hey look 70 games of the softest big man in NHL history, and a UFA to boot and other spare junk for a guy on pace for almost 100 points, sweet.

Russell, 2nd, and Currie for Morrissey - keep Myers.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Didn't realize RNH was doing THAT well this year but have always been a fan. A re-signed Myers I should have said and the Oilers could use his O savvy. Not bad on the PK either.

Myers and Roslo for RNH.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Didn't realize RNH was doing THAT well this year but have always been a fan. A re-signed Myers I should have said and the Oilers could use his O savvy. Not bad on the PK either.

Myers and Roslo for RNH.
Myers and Lowry

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I love how certain people just completely ignore the fact that Puljujärvi, unlike the vast majority of prospects of his age, has barely shown signs of development after being drafted. That is what tanks his value the most.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I love how certain people just completely ignore the fact that Puljujärvi, unlike the vast majority of prospects of his age, has barely shown signs of development after being drafted. That is what tanks his value the most.
Neither has Roslovic, I guess he's worth crap now too.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Neither has Roslovic, I guess he's worth crap now too.
Going from the development program to dominating NCAA, AHL and then graduating counts as development in my books.

Please, do tell me if being ping-ponged between Bakersfield and Edmonton with little sign of dominating anything has any value whatsoever.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Going from the development program to dominating NCAA, AHL and then graduating counts as development in my books.

Please, do tell me if being ping-ponged between Bakersfield and Edmonton with little sign of dominating anything has any value whatsoever.
Dominating the AHL at 20? he was barely over a PPG.

26 points in 36 games in the NCAA is now dominating?

Reactions: Seachd

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I would steer clear of PJ.
Unless he was basically given to me, of course. I wouldn't spend what Edmonton would want in return.

Also, Edmonton probably should just try and fix the kid rather than deal him. They'd likely get pennies on the dollar and if he goes on to find his game elsewhere, it would be yet another brutal Chia-deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad