Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
A rare quoting of my own post but sure no signs of any humor persisting here that a Team named ASS gets no laughs. Realizing its some sort of abbreviation, but..

Yeah, in English you wouldn't abbreviate to that. heh
Looking and seeing Team ASS did make me chuckle.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Looking and seeing Team ASS did make me chuckle.

Thanks for confirming that such joy can be had in the thread.
I mean if there was a Canadian team name that meant ASS in Finnish, like maybe Calgary Flames, I would want to know about it.

That was good anticipation by Pulju on the goal. Pretty terrible anticipation by the defender who spotted him up high a couple times and still let him go to the races. The Defender got clocked.

Reactions: Whyme

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Thanks for confirming that such joy can be had in the thread.
I mean if there was a Canadian team name that meant ASS in Finnish, like maybe Calgary Flames, I would want to know about it.

That was good anticipation by Pulju on the goal. Pretty terrible anticipation by the defender who spotted him up high a couple times and still let him go to the races. The Defender got clocked.

I think some extra joy is always welcome, maybe especially in this thread where it's sometimes been pretty serious :) The name of the team is Ässät (aces in English) and as Ä is a separate letter over here it's different to us, but in English it's a pretty cool abbreviation for a hockey team. Another thing I find quite funny is all the Infart and Outfart signs by Swedish roads and buildings.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
There's still some question marks, but he's really worked with his acceleration. I believe that should help him a lot and create some great rushes if he's placed with another fast player. The question marks are mainly about his ability to find space on even strength, especially if he's playing in lower lines with players that don't suite his game that well, but I'm sure he'll make a terrific OT player.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
There's still some question marks, but he's really worked with his acceleration. I believe that should help him a lot and create some great rushes if he's placed with another fast player. The question marks are mainly about his ability to find space on even strength, especially if he's playing in lower lines with players that don't suite his game that well, but I'm sure he'll make a terrific OT player.

The thing about Jesse is he is not that dynamic in the sense he can create offense with whomever. To me his whole career is pretty much can he gel with McD or Drai. I don't see why not, but we will find out. He is a complementary player who can add a ton. Like a young James Neal or something like that. But, he needs to gel with someone.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
The thing about Jesse is he is not that dynamic in the sense he can create offense with whomever. To me his whole career is pretty much can he gel with McD or Drai. I don't see why not, but we will find out. He is a complementary player who can add a ton. Like a young James Neal or something like that. But, he needs to gel with someone.

Lucic was the worst possible match so if they can provide him a clever enough center, at least one really quick forward and players who don't kill the play immediately I'll be fairly happy.

I just read an article about Kurri, who had started his season reasonably well, but was still being benched a lot. After missing I don't remember how many games he was suddenly given a chance with Gretzky. They had a pretty good start, but then quieter games until they really clicked and the rest is history.

It's certainly far too early to talk about Kurri in Pulju's situation, but there is a place for McDavid's Kurri open. I'm actually feeling very positive they will be a wonderful match, but Pulju really needs to play his best hockey pretty much every night. It's not an easy task.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

It'll be interesting to see if he accepts being a complementary player this time.

That was his biggest issue, IMO. He clearly should have been a complementary player, but seemed to want to carry the puck and rarely did anything a complementary player does.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Whatever his role will be Pulju will at least bring more speed to the team. He's definitely faster and his acceleration has improved quite drastically.

In that latest video both him and the defender skate full speed through both blue lines. Pulju has to skate towards the side, slow down a bit to catch and then carry the puck, but he still skates about 0.2 seconds faster (yes I used a stopwatch for both of them) from a blue line to the other one.

Of course it won't be as easy in the NHL and like I said there are some question marks, but at least his speed and improved physicality should impress you guys when he gets back to the Oilers. I can't wait to see him in the team again, but it'll mean some tough mornings as I'll have to wake up in the middle of the night to watch the games :)

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
It'll be interesting to see if he accepts being a complementary player this time.

That was his biggest issue, IMO. He clearly should have been a complementary player, but seemed to want to carry the puck and rarely did anything a complementary player does.
Hopefully playing behind Yammo gives him an idea of what he has to do to succeed in this league.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Sorry if it's already been here, but Cody Kunyk (from Sherwood Park) feels positive about Pulju's return:

“He demands the puck. He loves to have the puck,” said Kunyk, who grew up an Oilers fan in Sherwood Park, the Edmonton suburb that gave hockey Carter Hart, Mark Pysyk and Gerald Diduck. “It’s easy for me to find him in this league, because he’s skating so fast — he’s got incredible speed. You just have to know that he wants the puck more than anyone else. You’ve got to do whatever can to get him that puck.”

“I remember last year, when (Puljujarvi) ended up signing with Karpat, our first game last year was against them. I had never seen him play for the Oilers. Being on the ice for the first time with him, I knew he was big. But I couldn’t believe how big he was."

“To go full circle, to know everything he’s been through with the Oilers, playing with him has been amazing. He works so hard, all the time. He expects so much of himself, and is very hard on himself. If he plays his ‘B’ game one night, he’ll be the last guy at the rink working out after the game."

“He cares. He loves the game.”

“Our coaching staff is very tough on him, preparing him for what’s coming (in the NHL). I don’t think this is his last shot, but he wants to make a good impression this time around.”

“I have no doubt he’ll be successful. It might not be as quick as everyone wants it to be, but I don’t see him not being successful in the NHL this time around.”

Puljujarvi's maturation in Finland bodes well for return to Oilers

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Dont worry. Same problem here so we might be just terrible.

Well the thing just might be it. He just doesn’t fit in the shape everybody is trying to fit him in. He is not a complimentary player either. I think this pseudonym called VOR knew what he was assessing.

”...In order to understand why Jesse is a horse for a course consider the game he will play when he gets his full growth doesn’t erode in the playoffs. It actually improves. This is why playing on the international stage Jesse tore it up. Possession matters far more as the intensity and quality of the opponent increases...”

”...He is a horse for a course. His course is called the Stanley Cup playoffs.
I know I won’t change anybody’s mind but try watching him the next time he plays with possession puck support – for example with Ryan Strome. He is already helping tilt the ice a huge amount.
In time every line he plays on will tilt the ice.
And gradually he will grow from a coltish kid to a dominant heavy horse...”

This has been on display especially this season on pre-season games and 3-v-3 plays. He simply has dominated.

https://lowetide.ca/2018/10/21/sunday-morning-coming-down-4/comment-page-1/#comment-773080

Reactions: Oilhawks

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
This is also something this VOR wrote on Puljujärvi and I agree his assessment here:

”...Jesse Puljujarvi is not of a type. It is actually hard to imagine a comparable. Every once in awhile he reminds you he has all world talent and all the physical tools to use that talent to be a game changer.

However, Jesse also has times he seems both lost and trying too hard. He attempts plays that are low percentage and that blow up in his face. He is having real growing pains. And fans are noticing...”

”...I will end by saying I think Jesse Puljujarvi will end up the poster boy for teams that gamble big on unorthodox talents and then patiently nurture that talent. When he arrives he won’t just lift bums out of seats he will lift the Stanley Cup – over and over again and steal fans hearts...”

My guess is that this is Holland’s approach on Puljujärvi: ”gamble big on unorthodox talents and then patiently nurture that talent.” For unorthodox talent he is. And he doesn’t fit in the molds many are trying to fit him in.

Sunday Morning Coming Down – Lowetide.caOctober 21, 2018 at 5:12 pm

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Well the thing just might be it. He just doesn’t fit in the shape everybody is trying to fit him in. He is not a complimentary player either. I think this pseudonym called VOR knew what he was assessing.

”...In order to understand why Jesse is a horse for a course consider the game he will play when he gets his full growth doesn’t erode in the playoffs. It actually improves. This is why playing on the international stage Jesse tore it up. Possession matters far more as the intensity and quality of the opponent increases...”

”...He is a horse for a course. His course is called the Stanley Cup playoffs.
I know I won’t change anybody’s mind but try watching him the next time he plays with possession puck support – for example with Ryan Strome. He is already helping tilt the ice a huge amount.
In time every line he plays on will tilt the ice.
And gradually he will grow from a coltish kid to a dominant heavy horse...”

This has been on display especially this season on pre-season games and 3-v-3 plays. He simply has dominated.

Sunday Morning Coming Down – Lowetide.ca

We'll have to wait till he's back in the Oilers to see what he can do this time. I also believe the contract situation has affected his game in Finland. It's not bad but like you said earlier we know it could be much more.

As comparison Kotkaniemi played 10 games and scored just two ES points (one short pass by the blue line and one 2nd assist gained in the own zone). He was also -3. It's not that he's such a bad player, but it's harder to play when your head is half-way elsewhere and when you simply can't afford to get injured.

Pulju's corsi in the FEL has been ridiculous and I believe he will be tilting the game towards the offensive zone in the Oilers too. That and his speed standing out will be some of the safest things to bet about him.

Reactions: Oilhawks and PulYou

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
We'll have to wait till he's back in the Oilers to see what he can do this time. I also believe the contract situation has affected his game in Finland. It's not bad but like you said earlier we know it could be much more.

As comparison Kotkaniemi played 10 games and scored just two ES points (one short pass by the blue line and one 2nd assist gained in the own zone). He was also -3. It's not that he's such a bad player, but it's harder to play when your head is half-way elsewhere and when you simply can't afford to get injured.

Pulju's corsi in the FEL has been ridiculous and I believe he will be tilting the game towards the offensive zone in the Oilers too. That and his speed standing out will be some of the safest things to bet about him.

There has not been many shifts in the defensive zone when Jesse has been on the ice when playing with Kärpät. And as Kunyk sayd Jesse likes puck, he demands it.

So I think VOR’s assessment is slowly coming in to fruition while we are witnessing: ”At 23 or 24 Jesse will be Georges (Larague). A massive outplayer who can take the puck and play keep away for entire shifts.”

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
So now he’s some sort of speed demon with Laraque’s ability to control the puck. I call bullshit. He’s playing against bums who will never make the NHL.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So now he’s some sort of speed demon with Laraque’s ability to control the puck. I call bullshit. He’s playing against bums who will never make the NHL.

Who said this out of curiosity? The kid is indeed very fast but that is nothing new. The bolded however isn't likely although he has improved in that area.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Lucic was the worst possible match so if they can provide him a clever enough center, at least one really quick forward and players who don't kill the play immediately I'll be fairly happy.

I just read an article about Kurri, who had started his season reasonably well, but was still being benched a lot. After missing I don't remember how many games he was suddenly given a chance with Gretzky. They had a pretty good start, but then quieter games until they really clicked and the rest is history.

It's certainly far too early to talk about Kurri in Pulju's situation, but there is a place for McDavid's Kurri open. I'm actually feeling very positive they will be a wonderful match, but Pulju really needs to play his best hockey pretty much every night. It's not an easy task.
Kurri was actually very hot at the start of his first season playing on a line with Anderson and Hagman, as well as getting some pp time. This was 1980 so no one really knew who he or Anderson were. Hagman was suppose to be the guy on that line, or so it seemed, since he had played in both the NHL and the WHA, and he had just finished ripping up SM-Liiga. I never saw Hagman live in Boston but did see him when he was with Quebec so I remember a lot of people being very happy that he signed with the Oilers. But I knew nothing about these other guys other than Anderson being a colleg guy, which was actually quite rare back then. As I said, somewhat surprisingly that line looked very good to start the season. Then they struggled big time in December defensively.

Gretzky started the season with Calligen on the left and BJ MacDonald on the right, both of whom he had played with a lot. But MacDonald got hurt early in December so there was a hole on the right side with Gretzky. Kurri eventually got a shot and really never looked back. But while I would love to see this story repeat, there is some caution that needs to be had here. One of the things that made Kurri so good with Gretzky was that Kurri had fantastic hockey instincts. He could read off of Gretzky in the same way that Draisait can read off of McDavid. This is a lot rarer skill than most think. Puljujarvi has not shown that ability yet.

Reactions: Whyme

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Who said this out of curiosity? The kid is indeed very fast but that is nothing new. The bolded however isn't likely although he has improved in that area.

I guess the proof is in the pudding. Although his role has been different for developmental reasons and he has not looked or been so dominant as opposed last season, but when he is on the ice he still tilts it big way.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Last 11g 2+3. Nuff said

There's no need to pump his tires right now, but those "nuff said" things could be said about several NHL players who've played and struggled at even strength in the FEL this year. Pulju looked different before signing the contract (and worse in the games after the "covid break") so only time will tell if there actually was an actual drop of quality or if having an NHL contract in a pocket actually played a part for the NHL players.

His highs have been high enough so I personally feel confident he'll do fine as long as he manages to put 100% to the ice and keep the lows at a minimum, but I understand some people are not as optimistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2 and PulYou

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
I think we are off track here again.
Puljujärvis problem was or is not his skating speed but the speed he thinks the game and over all positioning etc., like how he was just bad finding opening at power play.

Last reports from Oulu said to me Puljujärvi still has these problems in Liiga level so I am not getting my hopes to high about NHL.

I oray he can play just solid 2-way and build on that. Be humble and do what his told to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad