Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Shaun Heshka gave some comments regarding Jesse's skills in english for Finnish tv-channel. He basically said that he and Cody Kunyk sat next to Jesse in the locker room and made him speak english as much as he can (in a safe environment), and helped him to build the confidence and make him love the game again. He thinks that they did good job with him and they were really happy to see Jesse doing ok.

Heshka also said that "it looked like he needed a hug (when he came back from North America)"

Kärpät-tähdeltä paljonpuhuva kommentti – tältä Jesse Puljujärvi näytti Ouluun palatessaan

Last edited:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I don't claim to understand these fancy stats very well and don't trust them a bunch, but this can't be bad, right? At least he is in a pretty good company. Still, I wish he would bury some of his chances, might open up the floodgates.

upload_2021-1-27_19-58-36.png

Reactions: Whyme and PulYou

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
There you have it @Panda Bear .

Jesse figured out he didn't have to do it himself.
Compound that with his own teammate calling him stubborn, some quick math should show you JPs maturity to become a pro was the issue.
Thr organization can lead you to water, but you need to want to drink it

Luckily for us he's swimming in ot now also
Says nothing in there about how badly the organization fumbled his development. Interesting that he had to go back home to Finland to play for a team that could properly develop him into the player we currently have. That’s pretty damning of the Oilers and how badly they handled his development from the day he was drafted when they expected him to just step into the NHL as a 17 year old and replace Taylor Hall.

NO ONE is saying that Jesse as a 17 year old kid didn’t have flaws and make mistakes...but you’re the only one who completely absolves the organization of any faults with how they set the player up for failure.

Reactions: PulYou

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
What was Jesses shooting percentage in Liiga? That should give us some info, though Liiga has more space and time but still.
Historically Jesse has been around 8 percent shooter or a little above (Liiga counts all shot attempts whereas NHL records only shots on goal, making his Liiga percentage a little lower than his NHL percentage). This would mean he should be scoring on average every 12th shot or so. This adds up to two goals expected.

However, he has been shooting from more dangerous areas this season, I don't think he has shot that traditional wrister from the blue line once this season, so I'd expect his shot percentage to be on the rise.

Last edited:

space321

May 11, 2011
He still has trouble controlling the puck when it comes to shooting it just from my eye test. But he also manages to get dangerous shots on net in situations where the puck is already bouncing like a motherf***er... so who knows haha

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Says nothing in there about how badly the organization fumbled his development. Interesting that he had to go back home to Finland to play for a team that could properly develop him into the player we currently have. That’s pretty damning of the Oilers and how badly they handled his development from the day he was drafted when they expected him to just step into the NHL as a 17 year old and replace Taylor Hall.

NO ONE is saying that Jesse as a 17 year old kid didn’t have flaws and make mistakes...but you’re the only one who completely absolves the organization of any faults with how they set the player up for failure.

I have no ideas what you go on about half the time.??

First off, JP wasn't set to replace Hall. Lucic was(his production was decent at the time). Lucic was brought in to replace the "so called" off ice/lockeroom commitment that Hall apparently didn't have. He was also traded for his value to bring in a top dman that was a massive hole and talked about consistently (Chia wording" young enough that can grow w/ the team") So your reach that JP was rushed to replace Hall is nothing but your constant slant on this matter. You do it often( especially w/ the injury make believe stuff. JP injuries NEVER was the issue!! His role and growth on the team was. Period.)

2nd. It's already been shown that JP admitted as such, the org admitted as such, and his own teammates admitted as such. So it's pure comedy that you try and ignore all that and still make posts like none of that existed. Your love affair w/ him truly has no reality where you will literally make s*** up to make your point

Your whole agenda to make him the victim while the org paid attention to EVERYONE else at the time is nonsense. Bouchard, Drai, Maroon, McD, etc, etc totally contradict your ridiculous sentiment.

I bet you still personally hold the Oil responsible for Marancin not becoming a Norris winner also

Kids are given are homework. They don't comply, and people like yourself still find away to pat them on the head!?? Thankfully Drai didn't have your mentality and actually put in an effort to commit to instruction to fix his skating and endurance. You know....something MOTIVATED pro's do when given some instruction

"JP understands just fine, HE"S JUST STUBBORN!" ........teammate

" I probably wasn't the best teamate" ...... Jesse Puljujarvi

It's downright hilarious to listen to you claim the "org" f'ed him over by ignoring him while Bouchard consistently praises the personnel for having a consistent dialogue w/ him on his progress to become a pro

Last edited:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He still has trouble controlling the puck when it comes to shooting it just from my eye test. But he also manages to get dangerous shots on net in situations where the puck is already bouncing like a motherf***er... so who knows haha
I've said it for ages, but he should really look into what kind of stick he should be using - it can't be optimal at the moment. Adam Oates should pay him a visit.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Historically Jesse has been around 8 percent shooter or a little above (Liiga counts all shot attempts whereas NHL records only shots on goal, making his Liiga percentage a little lower than his NHL percentage). This would mean he should be scoring on average every 12th shot or so. This adds up to two goals expected.

However, he has been shooting from more dangerous areas this season, I don't think he has shot that traditional wrister from the blue line once this season, so I'd expect his shot percentage to be on the rise.

He shoots from 10 ft infront of his body. He won't become a dangerous shooter unless he learns to saddle it from the side. He literally has not scored a snipe. His goals have come from rebounds and putting it on net. He needs to stop reaching and bending over 10ft ahead of himself to shoot

Reactions: tellermine

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I've said it for ages, but he should really look into what kind of stick he should be using - it can't be optimal at the moment. Adam Oates should pay him a visit.

Stick is not the problem. Mechanics is. Zucccarello probably uses a stick as long as his and he's half the size. JP hardly shoots from the hip. He forces the puck way infront of him and uses his wrists

Also. what's been JP's problem until now. He needs to accept instruction. Oates is hired by players who WANT to learn. JP will have to WANT to get that instruction and hire him. He seems committed now, so let's hope he has a good offseason

Last edited:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Stick is not the problem. Mechanics is. Zucccarello probably uses a stick as long as his and he's half the size. JP hardly shoots from the hip. He forces the puck way infront of him and uses his wrists

Also. what's been JP's problem until now. He needs to accept instruction. Oates is hired by players who WANT to learn. JP will have to WANT to get that instruction and hire him. He seems committed now, so let's hope he has a good offseason
The stick is part of the equation. It's much more simple to do minor tweaks to his stick than learn how to shoot altogether differently. And let's not blow this out of proportion too, he has a great shot when he gets it off cleanly. Maybe not the most accurate, but it's quick and hard. The problem is, that he flubs the shot too often. It's a minor issue, all things considered.

First of all, Jesse has very long arms and his skating stance is quite hunched (like #99, lol). I have on good authority, that he is using a 6.5 lie stick, which is quite high. Sticks with a higher lie are better suited players with a more upright stance or a shorter stick. Jesse has neither.

That said, I am 100% sure, Jesse knows more about hockey than I do and is more than capable of choosing a stick that works for him, but still, I can't help but wonder how it would affect his playing if he switched to a lower lie or shorter stick. In fact, shorter sticks with high lies can be very effective in front of the net, because it's easier to get the shot off in tight spaces.

As for hiring Oates, you are in part correct, that it's Jesse's job to hire him. However, players around him who have trained with Oates, like McDavid could suggest things like that to him. McDavid himself has changed his curve due to Oates' advice. In any case, I trust that the pros know probably better than you and I and now I've said all I've got on this subject.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
An article in a big Finnish newspaper talks about Pulju's performance in the first line. It basically says Pulju has been very good and the points don't do justice to him as he's been fighting in front of the goal in three goals in these two games without getting any points from that work. It also said in the first game against Jets he could've as well scored three points. xGF% of this line has been very good, 77%.

It's strange to see Pulju in dirty job role. But then again it's been just two games and if he plays well enough and gets to be in that line points should follow. There's still work to be done with his shot and ability to get to places where he can shoot, but his shots have caused some great rebound opportunities and in some cases (like McDavid's pass) he did what he could, but the goalie covered the angle.

The reason I started to write is while my starting point is somewhat biased I think he's done a good job by the net and it seems his size and reach tie opponents quite nicely. There's been amazingly much room for others in some goals and I think some credit needs to be given to Jesse's work. We'll need a bigger sample size but I'd say it's been pretty good so far.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
He shoots from 10 ft infront of his body. He won't become a dangerous shooter unless he learns to saddle it from the side. He literally has not scored a snipe. His goals have come from rebounds and putting it on net. He needs to stop reaching and bending over 10ft ahead of himself to shoot
This is true. He needs to get quicker shots and closer to body.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
An article in a big Finnish newspaper talks about Pulju's performance in the first line. It basically says Pulju has been very good and the points don't do justice to him as he's been fighting in front of the goal in three goals in these two games without getting any points from that work. It also said in the first game against Jets he could've as well scored three points. xGF% of this line has been very good, 77%.

It's strange to see Pulju in dirty job role. But then again it's been just two games and if he plays well enough and gets to be in that line points should follow. There's still work to be done with his shot and ability to get to places where he can shoot, but his shots have caused some great rebound opportunities and in some cases (like McDavid's pass) he did what he could, but the goalie covered the angle.

The reason I started to write is while my starting point is somewhat biased I think he's done a good job by the net and it seems his size and reach tie opponents quite nicely. There's been amazingly much room for others in some goals and I think some credit needs to be given to Jesse's work. We'll need a bigger sample size but I'd say it's been pretty good so far.

He's vastly improved and he's much stronger on his skates.

I think he doesn't even fully understand how strong and powerful he can be when he wants to. The points will come, he's playing the right way and has earned his spot on the top line.

He's playing the proper big, fast, power forward type of game that creates chaos on the forecheck. That type of player is who McDavid has always played best with, Pulju needs to keep this up. It's his spot to lose at this point on the top line, he's earned that spot and needs to keep progressing. Him and McDavid have obvious chemistry together on the ice.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I think he doesn't even fully understand how strong and powerful he can be when he wants to. The points will come, he's playing the right way and has earned his spot on the top line.

He's playing the proper big, fast, power forward type of game that creates chaos on the forecheck. That type of player is who McDavid has always played best with, Pulju needs to keep this up. It's his spot to lose at this point on the top line, he's earned that spot and needs to keep progressing. Him and McDavid have obvious chemistry together on the ice.

I missed most of the last game. How did he and the line do by your eyes? Him being on that line is a big reason that I think that we beat the Leafs today.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

It's very possible he will still keep getting stronger. In that case it'll get even more interesting. I also agree he's probaby only slowly realizing what he can actually do with his current strength and size. Tippett has noticed Pulju's work as he has put him to the ice at the end of games now, which must feel great for Pulju after having no trust from the coach during the last visit. As we saw from 4 on 4 he's a player who gets better when there's more room on the ice so I'm looking forward to seeing him in OT.

It's still a process, but a very interesting and IMO a very promising one.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Seems like JP needs to hire you to help him learn how to shoot the puck.:D

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I think almost every guy in the league would love to have a "dirty job role" while playing alongside the best player in the game. Should be able to pot 20 just from standing in front and collecting garbage.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I think almost every guy in the league would love to have a "dirty job role" while playing alongside the best player in the game. Should be able to pot 20 just from standing in front and collecting garbage.

Definitely and I'm sure Pulju is super excited about the chance. So far it seems he's working hard in front and participating in creating those offensive pressures but the points are avoiding him :) It's very very early of course and he could easily have more than one point in these two games.

I kind of don't want to go too far, but the positive side is he's suddenly turned to a very useful power forward without really using many of the tools that made him a top prospect. So there's room for more, not just natural growing and development.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
4.25 (+325) to score a goal tonight on Bet365. I think he's due- *gamble responsibly*

That still sounds like a fairly low number, obviously they believe Pulju will score a goal in one of these games. But I don't mean to stop you, I think the first goal is getting closer and could happen tonight. If they had really high odds for Pulju to score 2 goals in a game I might consider that. Getting one in early enough in the game would certainly give him extra boost and confidence.

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
That still sounds like a fairly low number, obviously they believe Pulju will score a goal in one of these games. But I don't mean to stop you, I think the first goal is getting closer and could happen tonight. If they had really high odds for Pulju to score 2 goals in a game I might consider that. Getting one in early enough in the game would certainly give him extra boost and confidence.
Pulju to score twice is 34 (+3300), if you're real frisky Pulju to score a hat trick is 151 (+15000).

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Pulju to score twice is 34 (+3300), if you're real frisky Pulju to score a hat trick is 151 (+15000).

Thank you! Where do you get this kind of bets? I've only done the most basic ones, never on an individual level. I thought it'd be higher than 34, but now I started to get tempted to put some money for that :) I expect to lose it, but if I didn't the odds would be set terribly wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad