Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
If Pulju plays like he did in the Jets games every single nights, without a doubt he can hit PPG
I think that is true. The question is, of course, can he keep it up? He outworked everyone on the ice. He was absolutely relentless. He was physical. That takes its toll on a player in the long run.

Pulju is a verified gym rat, often working on both his aerobic fitness and strength. In fact, I wonder if he has sometimes trained too much in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the most fit athletes in the NHL. Still, he has a big body to move around, probably somewhere along 210 - 220 lbs, so it helps to keep his shifts short as well. Injuries could slow him down of course, but let's hope that it won't happen.

We shall see. If he has an off game tonight, things will look a lot different. Early days.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Jesse is a good passer, we'll be seeing a lot of that this season. Wheeler also had a slow start to his NHL career but like Pulju, is a fast and skilled big bodied winger.

I didn't say he was a bad passer, I said Wheeler is a significantly better passer. Don't feel that is controversial. Wheeler had 71 assists two years ago. Lol.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
1) The Oilers can't force anyone's living conditions. They can only suggest. Just like they did w/ McD and even arranged it, but McD told them to go f themselves and did what he wanted, against their massive massive massive dissaproval.
2) They can't force schooling on him. Again, they can suggest, but ultimately the player has to commit to go. The Oil also are not responsible to fly a tutor out to Finland in the offseason and have him sit outside Jessie's house begging him to learn his ABCs. development happens over the summer. Players don't and aren't forced to take classes ontop of practice and gamedays. So not sure where you think these "magical English classes were supposed to take place?" 6pm? 7pm?
3) Do you know what an exit interview is? Do you think the Oilers skipped Jesse's??????
Everyone from Yak, McD, Drai, Maroon, Nurse, Bouchard and Bear have admitted the Oil gave them constant templates and access.
But somehow you came to a conclusion that the Oilers decided to NOT spend a single effort in a development gameplan for their #4 pick, highly prolific WJC, potential powerforward. Is that what you're peddling?

Edit:
Yeah, the oilers are the model franchise when it comes to developing prospects and using them.

Puljujarvi and the Oilers are at fault for his usage and development.

Reactions: Aerrol

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I for one, was trying to defend Puljujärvi with his struggles when ...it's just pure faith and different situation. What I've watched now is really more mature person, like the one with skills, but couldn't translate them in to NHL level.

I'm not going to say he's done it yet, I mean in regular basis since no one has. Seems promising though. I think it was great that he had a good season in Finnish Elite Leugue before coming back. Got him some confidense and enjoyment playing a lot more. And now that he's in the Oilers set-up, I really hope this thing keeps up on growing.

Also, as he's said, he wants to help the team too. And gotta give probs to the team and coaches etc. for welcoming him back without anything too negative. Actions speak louder than words, but in this case, both are important. You get Jesse fighting battles and doing what he did, on a regular basis. It's - there ya go, not a bust. Just great to see, from the muds to back on track.

He is a force. I hope he stays healthy and works like he's been doing, on right things. Will be fun to watch and gives the team a total different look. Sorry for the text of wall, just my interest has been peaked. Can he keep this up? We'll see.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Yeah, the oilers are the model franchise when it comes to developing prospects and using them.

It's a mystery why the team didn't do better if Chia's Oilers did everything perfectly. Yeah, problems in many areas in addition to the player himself, but if Pulju keeps playing well it doesn't really matter anymore. After all Laine and Dubois, the two guys ahead of Pulju in the draft both wanted to be traded and got that. From what I know about Jesse he'd rather stick to one place if things go well and from all I hear it seems he's integrating very well this time. He's also a kind of a guy who likes and is used to life in a colder place with lots of nature around.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
He is a force. I hope he stays healthy and works like he's been doing, on right things. Will be fun to watch and gives the team a total different look. Sorry for the text of wall, just my interest has been peaked. Can he keep this up? We'll see.

I agree with what you wrote. But I also think it's not just Pulju who has grown mentally. If he can keep this up many GMs will regret they didn't pay the price Holland was asking. Lias Andersson (2017 #7) was traded for a 2nd rounder, it's terrific Holland didn't go for it. But to be honest he'd said he would trade Pulju at the latest during the draft, so I'm sure it was also about Pulju saying that he'd actually like to return to Edmonton instead of a possible trade. Extremely well played by Holland anyway.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

I never said they were. But I replied to a post that totally suggested forced living, forced schooling and forced training were within the teams power. They aren't.
It's a pro sports team. Not the military.
I have no clue why often people confuse the 2

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Yeah I've seen him live. He looks like a giant out there. Massive human being.

Todd is 5 ft 11 in. I don't know what the weight difference is, but as we know Pulju is a lot stronger nowadays. I just checked and he's now listed an inch taller now than he was in 2016, don't know if it's true but I've read he's grown since the draft.
Jesse and Todd.png

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyHistorian

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I've always been a fan of him. I seen him pretty good in his first two years as an Oiler but I dont think he was ready for the NHL. Even in his first two years, I thought he did more good then bad. In his first NHL season I thought he was pretty good defensively. When he was with McDavid, I seen some good things from him. He had a really rough third year though, I dont know if it was the hip injuries and/or confidence or something else. He was really weak with the puck in his third year and wasnt very stable on his feet.

I am surprised how physical he has been especially the last two games. Hes starting to use his size more. I just like how hard hes working out there and how tenacious he is. Ironically he reminds me of Yamamoto a bit. They both create a lot of chaos out there albeit in different ways. They both have very good motors. JP is big, fast, good forechecker and he seems to be on a mission to be close to the net. I dont think he has great hands, but I think he can score some goals being close to the net. Hopefully as he gets more confidence and grows into his body, his hands will improve. I think Tippett would be smart to get him some PK, I've always seen him as someone who should have all the tools to be a very good PK'er.

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I never said they were. But I replied to a post that totally suggested forced living, forced schooling and forced training were within the teams power. They aren't.
It's a pro sports team. Not the military.
I have no clue why often people confuse the 2

I don't mean to be disrespectful towards you by jumping in, but I partly disagree with your view. I mean I agree a professional sports team is different from school or military. But if professional teams really want to be succeed and be truly professional they have to find ways to do the little details well too. This is especially important during salary cap time and in Canada, where you have to deal with higher taxes than especially some states in the US.

It's a lesser league, but I've seen my FEL team, a top European team start to skip on several little details. They've been the best team in this century, but some teams with smaller budget payed attention to those little details and are suddenly ahead. I have to say I saw it coming, I suppose the team will get back after their corrections, but in some areas they're clearly behind right now.

Reactions: Aerrol

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I've always been a fan of him. I seen him pretty good in his first two years as an Oiler but I dont think he was ready for the NHL. Even in his first two years, I thought he did more good then bad. In his first NHL season I thought he was pretty good defensively. When he was with McDavid, I seen some good things from him. He had a really rough third year though, I dont know if it was the hip injuries and confidence. He was really weak with the puck in his third year and wasnt very stable on his feet.

I am surprised how physical he has been especially the last two games. Hes starting to use his size more. I just like how hard hes working out there and how tenacious he is. Ironically he reminds me of Yamamoto a bit. They both create a lot of chaos out there albeit in different ways. They both have very good motors. JP is big, strong, fast, good forecheck and he seems to be on a mission to be close to the net. I dont think he has great hands, but I think he can score some goals being close to the net. Hopefully as he gets more confidence and grows into his body, his hands will improve. I think Tippett would be smart to get him some PK, I've always seen him as someone who should have all the tools to be a very good PK'er.

I think you're right. He was better at the start of his NHL career than many remember. It wasn't like he was out of place, even statistically he was fine until the last close to 10 games, in which he played very low minutes in bottom lines. But it'd probably been better to start in the AHL, especially with Todd as a coach.

The 2nd season started well and he flashed his potential in a few games. However, he wasn't consistent enough and had occasional awkard looking moments, especially when his confidence declined. The spring was already a difficult time, he had some pretty good games, but couldn't really stand out from the bottom lines. The 3rd year lasted just half a season, but that was a true disappointment and it seemed his progress had taken a step back. He didn't play with his instincts and became just another guy in the bottom-6.

I guess it's not a popular take, but if you count roughly Pulju has played 4 half seasons in the NHL (the 2nd half of the 1st season was in the AHL and he missed the 2nd half of his 3rd season). So in practise that is about two full seasons.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I didn't say he was a bad passer, I said Wheeler is a significantly better passer. Don't feel that is controversial. Wheeler had 71 assists two years ago. Lol.

Wheeler was 22 years old when he was a rookie debuting with the Bruins.

Same age JP is now.
Wheeler didn't hit his stride until he was 28-30.

What I've been saying for years, is that JP (much like all huge-power forward types) does not have a linear development path.

He could become a way better passer than Wheeler. He has the same size, speed, and tools.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I think you're right. He was better at the start of his NHL career than many remember. It wasn't like he was out of place, even statistically he was fine until the last close to 10 games, in which he played very low minutes in bottom lines. But it'd probably been better to start in the AHL, especially with Todd as a coach.

The 2nd season started well and he flashed his potential in a few games. However, he wasn't consistent enough and had occasional awkard looking moments, especially when his confidence declined. The spring was already a difficult time, he had some pretty good games, but couldn't really stand out from the bottom lines. The 3rd year lasted just half a season, but that was a true disappointment and it seemed his progress had taken a step back. He didn't play with his instincts and became just another guy in the bottom-6.

I guess it's not a popular take, but if you count roughly Pulju has played 4 half seasons in the NHL (the 2nd half of the 1st season was in the AHL and he missed the 2nd half of his 3rd season). So in practise that is about two full seasons.

If one looks only the games he has played, he has played only a little under two regular seasons games. Since two seasons total would be 164 and he has played 146 games (with low TOI).

Reactions: Biltmore and Whyme

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
There are a few reasons why Jesse is my absolute favorite hockey player:

First, he is just so fun to watch when he is on his game. He is like a hurricane wreaking chaos all over the ice, all the while making nifty little passes and shooting whenever he gets the chance. He is, to me, the most entertaining player I've ever watched because he makes stuff happen all the time when his motor is firing at all cylinders. There's that element of chaotic unpredictability to him that makes me stay at the edge of my seat.

Second, his evidently clear love of the game. When he is feeling it, you can see it on his face.

Third, he seems to be a really down to earth, fun loving guy on a personal level as well.
jesse-puljujarvi.jpg

I hope he only gets better and doesn't lose that joy of playing ever again.

He's grown up since he last played for us. The fact that he gave the team another chance shows that. Maybe he is a late bloomer. Too early to tell but good signs are there. His effort level is really strong.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Todd is 5 ft 11 in. I don't know what the weight difference is, but as we know Pulju is a lot stronger nowadays. I just checked and he's now listed an inch taller now than he was in 2016, don't know if it's true but I've read he's grown since the draft. View attachment 388495
gettyimages-1083568152.jpg

Using photos as evidence of height is a tricky business, but Koskinen would appear to be around 1 or 2 inches taller than Pulju here. They are face to face, so I think the perspective doesn't trick much. I believe Pulju is at least 6'5.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Was writing a novel, but I'll summarise. It's also great that the team can talk with him, as he can communicate a bit better with the team and not be alone. I can't just put myself on his shoes if I wouldn't know the language well (and at first, coming from Finland, they might not be known that much other than being a great hockey prospect).

So, no he can handle at least some basics and you can ee him in interviews, he thinks and even ask for a repeat is great. He naturally isn't a native speaker yet, but all those things. Organization and all of it, are supporting him. No frowning. Just the smile, oh the smile. :)

Love of the game. He will bring the game it seems, if he's loved. Maybe more humbler but still. I really hope this works well. I can cheer all those things that he's shown this year.

And my summaries, seem to be maybe longer than... my actual point. Sorry mates. I hope everything goes and develop to greater good for the whole team. :)

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
1) The Oilers can't force anyone's living conditions. They can only suggest. Just like they did w/ McD and even arranged it, but McD told them to go f themselves and did what he wanted, against their massive massive massive dissaproval.
2) They can't force schooling on him. Again, they can suggest, but ultimately the player has to commit to go. The Oil also are not responsible to fly a tutor out to Finland in the offseason and have him sit outside Jessie's house begging him to learn his ABCs. development happens over the summer. Players don't and aren't forced to take classes ontop of practice and gamedays. So not sure where you think these "magical English classes were supposed to take place?" 6pm? 7pm?
3) Do you know what an exit interview is? Do you think the Oilers skipped Jesse's??????
Everyone from Yak, McD, Drai, Maroon, Nurse, Bouchard and Bear have admitted the Oil gave them constant templates and access.
But somehow you came to a conclusion that the Oilers decided to NOT spend a single effort in a development gameplan for their #4 pick, highly prolific WJC, potential powerforward. Is that what you're peddling?

Edit:
alright

let's put it this way

three parties are at fault

one party is a group of professionals, a backwoods teenager, and an agent spouting shit all the time

yeah the agent is shit, but oilers can't fire an agent

so when it comes down to oilers vs teenager

which one do you think should have been more mature and assertive in the situation of handling a teenager's living in a foreign country

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Wheeler was 22 years old when he was a rookie debuting with the Bruins.

Same age JP is now.
Wheeler didn't hit his stride until he was 28-30.

What I've been saying for years, is that JP (much like all huge-power forward types) does not have a linear development path.

He could become a way better passer than Wheeler. He has the same size, speed, and tools.
I'm on board with you until the very last part. Wheeler has been one of the best passers in the league for years now. The guy doesn't get anywhere near his due leaguewide for it.

Reactions: ijk

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
When Jesse Puljujarvi went back to Karpat in 2018, he was given a dressing-room seat next to 34-year-old Shaun Heshka of Melville, Sask. (Before Puljujarvi returned to Edmonton this year, he was sandwiched between two Canadians, Heshka and 30-year-old Cody Kunyk of Sherwood Park, Alta.) When Oilers coach Dave Tippett said last week Puljujarvi was being promoted to the top line, Heshka re-tweeted the news on his Twitter timeline.
“We watch the games,” Heshka said Tuesday. “I couldn’t think any more highly of him — people here are rooting for him. Our job was to talk to him in English as much as possible, build his confidence, get his love for the game back. We felt we did that here, and it’s great to see him doing well.”
What do you remember about Puljujarvi when he came back to Karpat?
“He looked like he needed a hug,” Heshka answered. “He went there with a picture of how things were supposed to work, and (they) didn’t work out that way. For him, it’s not about money. He wanted to play because he loves playing, and we told him, ‘This is your team and we’ll all trail behind you.’”
What’s the difference now as opposed to then?
“He figured out how to play the game — how he can use his teammates to further himself. He doesn’t have to do it all himself. He just really matured as a person, and he’s the hardest player to train with here. There are a lot of young players around, and he sets the example. They all look at him, ‘What am I supposed to do?’ He sets the tone.”

From Friedman's 31 Thoughts.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
From Friedman's 31 Thoughts.

There you have it @Panda Bear .

Jesse figured out he didn't have to do it himself.
Compound that with his own teammate calling him stubborn, some quick math should show you JPs maturity to become a pro was the issue.
Thr organization can lead you to water, but you need to want to drink it

Luckily for us he's swimming in ot now also

Reactions: CycloneSweep

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
JP also has to get better at shooting the puck on the fly. He has a great shot but sometimes is a bit too slow.

It should not be too hard to fix.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Puljujarvi is 22 years old, still a young player, and his game has rounded out fine. He has good habits and has demonstrated, at least to my eye, that he can dictate play in all three zones. How many players currently on the Oiler's roster can you say that about?

Puljujarvi is a 1.175 cap hit this season and next... important for a team with superstar centers and not a lot of cap room for wingers. Particular this season.

How can anyone argue to the negative about his development path. As far as I'm concerned Jesse's development path worked out perfectly.

Some posters on both sides of this Puljujarvi debate need to get over shit and move on.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
There you have it @Panda Bear .

Jesse figured out he didn't have to do it himself.
Compound that with his own teammate calling him stubborn, some quick math should show you JPs maturity to become a pro was the issue.
Thr organization can lead you to water, but you need to want to drink it

Luckily for us he's swimming in ot now also

I believe Heshka was talking about Pulju's first games in the FEL. In the NHL he played a lot with guys like Lucic in a bottom-6 role so he had to learn again how to be in a leading role with players who are of good quality compared to the particular league's average.

Anyway, I agree with @Broberg Speed that there's no need to fight about this. If things continue to go well all that most will think is that the Oilers did a good job with Puljujarvi. It shouldn't matter if some of us feel it was more complicated than that, the Oilers would get points for what Pulju has become anyway. Reputation that's fortunately getting better and better all the time is actually a pretty important thing in some ways like getting better players for less money to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad