Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Game's still too fast for him. He might be able to have a career if he recognizes he's a bottom 6 / 4th line player and plays like that. As long as he continues thinking that he's an offensive top 6er he's not going to succeed IMO.

What? I'd say he was one of the best players on the ice yesterday even though he didn't score. He's fast, aggressive and serious trouble for the opposition. And despite common talks about his low hockey IQ, I saw some very smart decisions made both with and without the puck. The question is if he's able to keep playing well and avoid frustration since he's not on the scoreboard yet.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Looks like he's starting to accept his role. A complimentary RW who can move up and down the line and not the line driver he was touted to be pre-draft.

With that said. There was a lot of nice plays last night. Even tho it didn't end up as a goal, his no look back hand behind the net to Turris was the best play of the night IMO

Reactions: snipes and scott57

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I still want Jesse to stick it out on the third line this season and let him soak up the NHL from veterans.
Its a topic for another discussion. But McDavids production and impact is night and day with and without Kassian. Simply removing Kasssian and putting a semi capable winger with him would increase productivity a fair amount, which is crazy to think about given his insane production already.

Swapping Kassian with JP accomplishes two things IMO. 1) Gives 97 a better winger (although not saying to much, given Kassian is a career 4th liner) and potentially increase McDavid production. and 2) May give JP some insane confidence and actually develop him into a top 6er

The risk with developing a prospect on the 3rd line is you develop them into a 3rd liner

Reactions: Whyme

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Swapping Kassian with JP accomplishes two things IMO. 1) Gives 97 a better winger (although not saying to much, given Kassian is a career 4th liner) and potentially increase McDavid production. and 2) May give JP some insane confidence and actually develop him into a top 6er

There's so much logic in this I think they'll do it. But I'm not sure you want to do it right away. He's been away and the way he left was problematic. Putting him on the spotlight right away could affect negatively on team spirit and put too much pressure on Jesse. Let him work his way up and truly earn his place and I think everybody's happier.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Looks like he's starting to accept his role. A complimentary RW who can move up and down the line and not the line driver he was touted to be pre-draft.

With that said. There was a lot of nice plays last night. Even tho it didn't end up as a goal, his no look back hand behind the net to Turris was the best play of the night IMO

Pretty sure Archibald and not Turris was on the receiving end of that pass.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
There's so much logic in this I think they'll do it. But I'm not sure you want to do it right away. He's been away and the way he left was problematic. Putting him on the spotlight right away could affect negatively on team spirit and put too much pressure on Jesse. Let him work his way up and truly earn his place and I think everybody's happier.

Thsi is true, but hopefully the "earn it" period lasts 10 games and not one season. He does need to "earn it" I agree, but there will be a point where any benefit gets outweighed by the negatives (McDavid productivity continue to aking a hit with Kassian & JP losing the dynamic, game-breaking skill/mentality in exchange for simple 3rd liner chip and chase style)

Reactions: Whyme and urho

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
What? I'd say he was one of the best players on the ice yesterday even though he didn't score. He's fast, aggressive and serious trouble for the opposition. And despite common talks about his low hockey IQ, I saw some very smart decisions made both with and without the puck. The question is if he's able to keep playing well and avoid frustration since he's not on the scoreboard yet.

I was wrong about his hockey IQ. He has a ton of it.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
As someone that wasn't a fan of his first run here, he's starting to come to form.

If he can work on getting his shots off better, I'd rather him 1RW than Kassian. Don't know wtf Kassian is doing
I kinda of think Pulju might be a better fit with Drai and Kahun, and Yamo better with RNH and McD. But I don’t think that move should be made for a bit, let Pulju get confident and worked in on the third line first.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I love how some people seem to think he has to be relegated to a bottom six role in order to have a career.

Because no 22 year olds ever improve their game with experience, right? Kids gonna make a lot of people eat crow.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Man I'm so excited about JP again. He's a blank slate right now imo. I don't think it's fair to him to read too much into his performances here prior to this year considering how the situation went down on both sides. Clearly both sides have grown up and moved on, and JP is showing all the promise he was when he first started his career again, while still being the same age as our rookie sensation Kailer Yammamoto.

He may never be a first line player, but I have no doubt after this year, the issues with his hockey IQ will be put to rest. I'm so glad we held onto him and didn't trade him for magic beans.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The risk with developing a prospect on the 3rd line is you develop them into a 3rd liner

I don't believe that's a legit thing.

If a player has first line talent and effort level they'll end up on the first line eventually.

Maybe forcing a player to play with a more defensive mindset when they are developing may end up making them a more defensively responsible player.

That is a good thing if they end up developing into a first line player.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I checked some pages in the Canucks section (I was curious to see how they felt about Juolevi) and saw some posts specifically about Pulju. One guy said that unfortunately Puljujarvi will be good for the Oilers and another talked about the pace and forechecking+backchecking the Oilers has and mentioned Pulju and Yamamoto as the two examples.

It's only two games so anything can happen as the season goes on, but if Pulju keeps playing like this it and it should push the best out of the top RWs as they know their places are not secure. Especially Kassian should be sweating if he can't get more out of himself.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I've said it before, but I think the third line should focus on getting the puck to Pulju with speed. I mean the D do it all the time with McDavid and for good reason and it works, he just blows by the D and the puck is in the offensive zone. Pulju has his strengths and one of them is straight line speed, they should try to utilize it more. This was true even before the Pulju 2.0 era and it's even more true now.

Reactions: PulYou and Whyme

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I don't believe that's a legit thing.

If a player has first line talent and effort level they'll end up on the first line eventually.

I agree. I honestly can't think of a single promising prospect who the Oilers turned into a 3rd liner.

Conversely, some of the last guys who the Oilers actually developed took a longer path. Horcoff toiled in the AHL and spend his first seasons on lower lines. Hemsky spent his draft +1 in the Q and was used selectively in his rookie season (including something like 20 nights as a healthy scratch). And more recently, the team did the right thing sending Draisaitl back to juniors. Same with Kailer and his stints in Spokane and Bakersfield.

Except in extreme situations (McDavid, Hall), this notion of throwing rookies into the fire, should really be extinguished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad