Jesse Puljujarvi Part 8 | Signs 2-Year Pact with Oilers ($1.175M per); Loaned to Karpat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
That’s just it. These posters aren’t Oilers fans, they’re Puli fans and couldn’t give a shit about our city or any other Oiler other than JP. It’s sickening.

I can only speak for myself, but you are wrong with this. I won't claim the Oilers means the same to me as it does to you locals, after all I have my local team which is often seen as one of the best in Europe and which has developed a lot of good players for the NHL level. This despite some of you calling it a beer league. But the NHL provides many of us a whole other other hockey world. Many of us have our favourite teams and for some like myself it's the Oilers. However, I've believed and still believe in Puljujarvi and think he's still a very special prospect, so it feels natural to write about him here.

There's also Finns who are much more interested about Pulju than the Oilers but I don't see what's the harm in them being here. The highlights or local info is of interest to some Oilers fans and nobody forces anyone to agree with others.

Before Pulju asked for a trade there was a time when everyone here was incredubly nasty towards him. It wasn't a large group of people, but they pushed everyone else away and wrote pages and pages full of insults about Pulju and told him to **ck off. Then he fullfilled those wishes and said he wants away and now the same guys are so insulted about that. I think it's childish. Not believing in Pulju or not agreeing with us is a different case, nothing bad or childish in that.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I can only speak for myself, but you are wrong with this. I won't claim the Oilers means the same to me as it does to you locals, after all I have my local team which is often seen as one of the best in Europe and which has developed a lot of good players for the NHL level. This despite some of you calling it a beer league. But the NHL provides many of us a whole other other hockey world. Many of us have our favourite teams and for some like myself it's the Oilers. However, I've believed and still believe in Puljujarvi and think he's still a very special prospect, so it feels natural to write about him here.

There's also Finns who are much more interested about Pulju than the Oilers but I don't see what's the harm in them being here. The highlights or local info is of interest to some Oilers fans and nobody forces anyone to agree with others.

Before Pulju asked for a trade there was a time when everyone here was incredubly nasty towards him. It wasn't a large group of people, but they pushed everyone else away and wrote pages and pages full of insults about Pulju and told him to **ck off. Then he fullfilled those wishes and said he wants away and now the same guys are so insulted about that. I think it's childish. Not believing in Pulju or not agreeing with us is a different case, nothing bad or childish in that.
Like I said before, I defended Puli his first few seasons but he turned his back and walked away. I wanted him to succeed, now I just want an asset in return. We win more games without him and for me that’s the bottom line.

Reactions: Aerchon

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
- Jesse Puljujarvi was drafted as a dangerous goal-scorer and an elite shooter. His ixG/60 ranking in the league’s 89th percentile proves that, even in the NHL, he did exactly that. He was an elite scoring threat that didn’t get his chance to shine.

As of this point I still wouldn't consider him a sniper. He is improving in this area but I always compared him more to a Taylor Hall type of winger than a Laine type.

Reactions: Aerchon

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Like I said before, I defended Puli his first few seasons but he turned his back and walked away. I wanted him to succeed, now I just want an asset in return. We win more games without him and for me that’s the bottom line.

Fair enough. But if Pulju comes back is that really so much different from what happened with Kassian, supposing that what Friedman and some others wrote is true? I mean do you hate him just as much if he said he wants out? Aho was ready to change the team as he took the offer sheet, so do you see him in a similar light? And if it's true (as some media wrote, but I don't know if I can find the source) that it was actually the Oilers who said they're considering trading Pulju first, will you then think the Oilers did wrong by turning their back to the player?

I honestly don't mean to force you to change your view, I appreciate it as it is, but am a bit curious as I don't think what Pulju did under those circumstances and at that age was something that unforgivable.

E: typos

Last edited:
Reactions: PulYou

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
As of this point I still wouldn't consider him a sniper. He is improving in this area but I always compared him more to a Taylor Hall type of winger than a Laine type.

I agree. He's got more of a sniper basis than many in Edmonton know, but he wasn't able to show it under the minutes and responsibilities he got. I still believe he'd need more PP usage and a bit more leash, as Laine actually did, but he did have shortcomings that prevented him from being a sniper in the NHL.

It's still good to remember Pulju was a kind of a sniper before the NHL. His goal scoring rate wasn't far from Laine and he scored a hat trick at the U18 final. However, he saw that it's much more difficult to get to good scoring positions in the NHL, especially when he had players like Lucic around and no PP time. His shot was also inconsistent, could be an elite one at its best, but then he could miss the puck in an awkward looking way. I actually thought those awkward misses made him concentrate on the shot more, so he didn't miss the puck but lost a bit of the strength. According to what I've seen in Finland he's now finding the consistency with his hardest shot.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Fair enough. But if Pulju comes back is that really so much what happened with Kassian, supposing that what Friedman and some other wrote is true? I mean do you hate him just as much if he said he wants out? Aho was ready to change the team as he took the offer sheet, so do you see him in a similar light? And if it's true (as some media wrote, but I don't know if I can find the source) that it was actually the Oilers who said they're considering trading Pulju first, will you think the Oilers did wrong by turning their back from the player?

I honestly don't mean to force you to change your view, I appreciate it as it is, but am a bit curious as I don't think what Pulju did under those circumstances and at that age was something that unforgivable.

Maybe it was Rishaug who first tweeted/ wrote that Oilers were open to trade Pulju and were looking for a trade partner and also there was a plan to send Pulju to Bakersfield. Then after these news Hitchcock benched him.

In a very quiet manner Pulju was put on IR. After the rumours that Oilers were sending him to Bakersfield.

It was after Pulju’s hips were operated he himself with his agents voicing it said maybe they were not a fit - Oilers and Pulju. Lehto also said that he thought Pulju deserved a fresh chance with a new team.

And the source:

Rishaug: Oilers 'open to trading' Puljujarvi - TSN.ca

Reactions: Whyme

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Say what?
o_Oo_O

Looked like a solid post until it went full r***** :laugh:

Edit: .... and you're doubling down on it. If you take it out then there will be a discussion about Pulju, leaving it and doubling down it means that the discussion will be about this instead of the real issue (which I think you're right about by the way).

It's one of those things that either you see it or you don't. Hard to explain.

People see what they want to see. Hall was my favorite Oiler during his time in Edmonton but even saying that he has holes in his game. Obvious deficiencies. Deficiencies that has led to him being repeatedly snubbed by team Canada's highest levels despite there being few elite Canadian LWers.

Was talking with a buddy yesterday and we talked about when Hall steps on the ice it tilts. He is such an engine. Pushes back defenders.

But he is epitome of the best defense is a good offense... which only works so well in the nhl.

He was allowed to play that way. Given every oppurtunity to do so. So are most elite prospects. Puljujarvi was not.

Agreed tho, this is about Puljujarvi. Dragging Hall/OEL comparisons may distract from the conversation.

Reactions: Whyme and PulYou

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree. He's got more of a sniper basis than many in Edmonton know, but he wasn't able to show it under the minutes and responsibilities he got. I still believe he'd need more PP usage and a bit more leash, as Laine actually did, but he did have shortcomings that prevented him from being a sniper in the NHL.

It's still good to remember Pulju was a kind of a sniper before the NHL. His goal scoring rate wasn't far from Laine and he scored a hat trick at the U18 final. However, he saw that it's much more difficult to get to good scoring positions in the NHL, especially when he had players like Lucic around and no PP time. His shot was also inconsistent, could be an elite one at its best, but then he could miss the puck in an awkward looking way. I actually thought those awkward misses made him concentrate on the shot more, so he didn't miss the puck but lost a bit of the strength. According to what I've seen in Finland he's now finding the consistency with his hardest shot.

IMO he has always had good velocity to his shot, it's his accuracy that has needed dialing in. If he is getting his shot off quickly with full power and above average accuracy he could still develop into a sniper.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Fair enough. But if Pulju comes back is that really so much different from what happened with Kassian, supposing that what Friedman and some others wrote is true? I mean do you hate him just as much if he said he wants out? Aho was ready to change the team as he took the offer sheet, so do you see him in a similar light? And if it's true (as some media wrote, but I don't know if I can find the source) that it was actually the Oilers who said they're considering trading Pulju first, will you then think the Oilers did wrong by turning their back to the player?

Puljujarvi unfortunately will always be scrutinized more than most players. He has brought that on himself. I think it's human nature to be at least a bit negative about a player that does what he did to a small extent even moving forward no matter what happens.

I was a Puljujarvi supporter until he did what he did. I'm sure I will have tiny bit of a lingering dislike of the player if he comes back.

But myself and most everyone else will "mostly" forgive and/or forget quickly enough if he can come back and play even partially as good as I think he can.

Nothing but unfortunately a fantasy now but I can't even imagine how great...

Neal McDavid Kassian
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto
AA Strome Puljujarvi
Chiasson Haas Archibald
Kharia Nygard Benson

Could have been...

Now you almost have to switch Kassian and Puljujärvi to give him a linemate/center talented enough to play with.

Reactions: Whyme

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's one of those things that either you see it or you don't. Hard to explain.

People see what they want to see. Hall was my favorite Oiler during his time in Edmonton but even saying that he has holes in his game. Obvious deficiencies. Deficiencies that has led to him being repeatedly snubbed by team Canada's highest levels despite there being few elite Canadian LWers.

Was talking with a buddy yesterday and we talked about when Hall steps on the ice it tilts. He is such an engine. Pushes back defenders.

But he is epitome of the best defense is a good offense... which only works so well in the nhl.

He was allowed to play that way. Given every oppurtunity to do so. So are most elite prospects. Puljujarvi was not.

Agreed tho, this is about Puljujarvi. Dragging Hall/OEL comparisons may distract from the conversation.

Hall and Puljujarvi joined the Oilers at very different cycles of the team's development. Hall was the poster boy for Rebuild 1 in which he was given free range to play top minutes out of the gates with a license to stun. There was little organizational accountability placed to instil a rounded game as the focus was placed on "Oiler's hockey" that being 80's fire wagon, high tempo blitzkrieg approach that the management and ownership wanted. At the beginning of its inaugural rebuild, Hall had green line to tilt the ice one way with what was the beginnings of a hopeful development of a bottomed out franchise.

Fast forward many years and emerging out of a Rebuild 2.0 that netted McDavid and Draisaitl, the Oil were under outside organizational leadership Chiarelli and Mclellan that showed early success of steering this chronic loser franchise out of the ditch into a playoff potential team. Much later in this team development cycle, this management group had high expectations internally from ownership and externally from a rightly fatigued and pissed off fanbase to win hockey games, Puljujarvi entered the organization with expectation to win now and the pressure to contribute at 18 despite significant issues (language, culture shock, maturity) and caught in a crossfire of a devolving, dysfunctional relationship between Chiarelli and McLellan as the team again listed into pear shape disaster.

Puljujarvi's situation was like trying to jump on a moving train. Compounded by his lack of preparedness with the maturity and coping skills to deal with being an elite blue chip prospect who wasn't ready.

Last edited:

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
Puljujarvi unfortunately will always be scrutinized more than most players. He has brought that on himself. I think it's human nature to be at least a bit negative about a player that does what he did to a small extent even moving forward no matter what happens.

I was a Puljujarvi supporter until he did what he did. I'm sure I will have tiny bit of a lingering dislike of the player if he comes back.

But myself and most everyone else will "mostly" forgive and/or forget quickly enough if he can come back and play even partially as good as I think he can.

Nothing but unfortunately a fantasy now but I can't even imagine how great...

Neal McDavid Kassian
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto
AA Strome Puljujarvi
Chiasson Haas Archibald
Kharia Nygard Benson

Could have been...

Now you almost have to switch Kassian and Puljujärvi to give him a linemate/center talented enough to play with.
Take yourself at 18 years old. Stick yourself on a new continent with people and a culture you know nothing about. Remove your ability to communicate with those people. Now add to all of that your new 'guardians' being a group of f***ing morons who don't know their own asshole from a hole in the ground, and let me know how well you adjust.

I'm not absolving JP of wrongdoing. I also acknowledge that there are a ton of kids from other countries who do get drafted and do acclimate without going through what JP and his agent did.

But I also understand that he was basically still a kid who really was thrown into a shitty situation with zero stability and both sides are to blame. People who act like this kid beat their dog or wife and talk like he's a piece of f***ing scum that should rot need to be slapped in the mouth. Nothing can justify half the shit that gets said about this kid who by everything I've seen looks to be a happy go lucky, goofy young man trying to enjoy life. I don't find any of the above to be human nature. I find it to be more of the same trash you see everyday in the digital age we live in and it's really sad. Just people looking to justify why they act like shitty human beings.

Edit: Not aiming this directly at you, just in response to why you think JP has brought a lot of this on himself.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Maybe it was Rishaug who first tweeted/ wrote that Oilers were open to trade Pulju and were looking for a trade partner and also there was a plan to send Pulju to Bakersfield. Then after these news Hitchcock benched him.

In a very quiet manner Pulju was put on IR. After the rumours that Oilers were sending him to Bakersfield.

It was after Pulju’s hips were operated he himself with his agents voicing it said maybe they were not a fit - Oilers and Pulju. Lehto also said that he thought Pulju deserved a fresh chance with a new team.

And the source:

Rishaug: Oilers 'open to trading' Puljujarvi - TSN.ca

I'm sure I read some quite convincing sounding articles, but I'd better be quiet if I don't bring the source. I just found an article where Kassian tried to explain the situation afterwards. He naturally defended himself and said he didn't go and ask for a trade, but after he was benched him and his agent talked and the agent asked from the Oilers if he could talk to the other teams. That's hoe I read itand I'm pretty sure I got it right.

It sounds like this maybe wasn't that far from Pulju's situation. With all the **it (not saying if it's justified or not) towards his agent I suppose the same should apply to Kassian's agent and maybe Kassian too. I personally understand Kassian, he's a veteran player and wasn't happy to be benched, but he and his agent reacted quite quickly. But I'm sure that happens quite often in the NHL and that's why it's more difficult to bench a veteran player.

Reactions: PulYou

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018

I honestly don't mean to force you to change your view, I appreciate it as it is, but am a bit
curious as I don't think what Pulju did under those circumstances and at that age was something that unforgivable.

Honestly, Kassian pissed me off too at the time. I mean here the Oilers were giving him a second chance at a career and he pulls that crap. I like Kass but the team comes first.

As for Puli if the Oilers did want to trade him, that’s fine, he’s Oilers property but this isn’t how it went down.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Honestly, Kassian pissed me off too at the time. I mean here the Oilers were giving him a second chance at a career and he pulls that crap. I like Kass but the team comes first.

As for Puli if the Oilers did want to trade him, that’s fine, he’s Oilers property but this isn’t how it went down.

I honestly don't get this "is Oilers property" thing. There's a system that gives the Oilers some rights but also some rights to the player. The player is allowed to seek offer sheets from other teams and the Oilers is allowed to match it. The player is allowed to play outside of the NHL if he likes. It's not like they're slaves, even well paid ones.

I understand both parties. But from Pulju's side, the guy played three years without a proper chance on the powerplay. After all he used to be maybe the very best of his age group at that, so how long would he need to be a kind kid and take all the **it he gets for not making points?

It's got to be hard, to try to be a good kid and play happily with Lucic and no PP time, but carry all that pressure from all of Finland, Edmonton and the rest of the NHL work. Can anyone guarantee a player will ever reach his celiling if he spends say four or five years without a single chance on his PP spot? As someone who watches Pulju closely I'd hate that to happen.

He went to Finland where he was able to use his strengths, while developing weaknesses, without all the talk of a bust and all the *hit coming from fans. It seems he found his joy for playing and even life, so maybe it's sometimes good to have a bit of humanity and understand the situation wasn't easy for him. After all the Oilers were a mess and showed no sign they actually see Pulju as a top prospect. He didn't need to go public, but I also believe he was following bad instructions, and anyway we all make mistakes.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I honestly don't get this "is Oilers property" thing. There's a system that gives the Oilers some rights but also some rights to the player. The player is allowed to seek offer sheets from other teams and the Oilers is allowed to match it. The player is allowed to play outside of the NHL if he likes. It's not like they're slaves, even well paid ones.

I understand both parties. But from Pulju's side, the guy played three years without a proper chance on the powerplay. After all he used to be maybe the very best of his age group at that, so how long would he need to be a kind kid and take all the **it he gets for not making points?

It's got to be hard, to try to be a good kid and play happily with Lucic and no PP time, but carry all that pressure from all of Finland, Edmonton and the rest of the NHL work. Can anyone guarantee a player will ever reach his celiling if he spends say four or five years without a single chance on his PP spot? As someone who watches Pulju closely I'd hate that to happen.

He went to Finland where he was able to use his strengths, while developing weaknesses, without all the talk of a bust and all the *hit coming from fans. It seems he found his joy for playing and even life, so maybe it's sometimes good to have a bit of humanity and understand the situation wasn't easy for him. After all the Oilers were a mess and showed no sign they actually see Pulju as a top prospect. He didn't need to go public, but I also believe he was following bad instructions, and anyway we all make mistakes.
Oh boo fricken hoo. He’s no different than any other player. Ice time is earned in this league I don’t give a shit where you’re from.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Oh boo fricken hoo. He’s no different than any other player. Ice time is earned in this league I don’t give a shit where you’re from.

I guess it was this kind of black and white thinking that got Oilers lose so many top drafted players.

It is not only about one player’s development. It is about asset management of a multi million dollar business.

Reactions: Whyme and jonu

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

I never said he's different than any other player. But generally speaking ice time and PP time can be gifted in the NHL too. Players like Lucic and Camalleri could tell you more about this.

It sometimes seems some hardcore fans think in such a great league players never make mistakes, coaches are always right and icetime always goes to the right players. In the heat of passion things feel different, though, then the defenders are shitty, forwards selfish, goalies leak, coaches are morons and referees blind.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I never said he's different than any other player. But generally speaking ice time and PP time can be gifted in the NHL too. Players like Lucic and Camalleri could tell you more about this.

It sometimes seems some hardcore fans think in such a great league players never make mistakes, coaches are always right and icetime always goes to the right players. In the heat of passion things feel different, though, then the defenders are shitty, forwards selfish, goalies leak, coaches are morons and referees blind.
Lucic and Cammalleri actually had NHL pedigree. Go look up their careers, JP has 17 goals in 150 games, he needed to earn it yet.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Lucic and Cammalleri actually had NHL pedigree. Go look up their careers, JP has 17 goals in 150 games, he needed to earn it yet.

Yes but it's not that simple. How they kept e.g. Lucic on the PP with no end was quite ridiculous, there was no sign for months he could actually be worth the spot. JP had a great half season, but he didn't get any PP usage even though the PP was the worst in the league around that time. The small usage he got came later and even that was in a grinder's place. I could also name several young players who were gifted minutes before they'd done anything in the NHL but you are so strict with your view it would just end to other posts back and forth.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Yes but it's not that simple. How they kept e.g. Lucic on the PP with no end was quite ridiculous, there was no sign for months he could actually be worth the spot. JP had a great half season, but he didn't get any PP usage even though the PP was the worst in the league around that time. The small usage he got came later and even that was in a grinder's place. I could also name several young players who were gifted minutes before they'd done anything in the NHL but you are so strict with your view it would just end to other posts back and forth.
Sure you can find other guys who were gifted minutes, that doesn’t make it right. The player needs to impress the coach in some manner, JP did get some minutes unfortunately he didn’t impress in anyway.

Reactions: tellermine

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Sure you can find other guys who were gifted minutes, that doesn’t make it right. The player needs to impress the coach in some manner, JP did get some minutes unfortunately he didn’t impress in anyway.

I just replied to you saying the NHL is a league where ice time is not gifted as that's not the case. I don't think there is one single, at least not many teams that wouldn't give any(!) PP time to their top4 pick that has the highest esg/60 of the team after a few months. This is not figure skating where judges give points to someone who impresses the most.

Many of you say results matter and JP didn't produce enough. But when I say he had a few months where he brought results you're justifying his total lack of PP usage with him not impressing in anyway. It's just highly controversial and looks like any justification is desperately seeked.

I've admitted at least some flaws in his game in many messages, maybe you could admit that the lack of PP time was odd. I mean like I said he had the highest even strength goals/60 ratio, he was a 4th pick known earlier as a PP specialist and the team had the worst PP of the league. Still they kept trusting players like Lucic and Camallieri. It's Chiarelli's and McLellan's time so being even a bit negative towards them doesn't mean the current guys are bad.

Reactions: HockeyHistorian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->