Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
I wonder if league he’s in will have a season next year, if not that would put all the pressure on him to return

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wonder if league he’s in will have a season next year, if not that would put all the pressure on him to return

Why would we want a player that clearly doesn’t want to be here? Let him enjoy the quiet life in Finland till we trade his useless ass.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Why would we want a player that clearly doesn’t want to be here? Let him enjoy the quiet life in Finland till we trade his useless ass.

If the reports are right and its Finland or NHL/bust... I think his career is in serious jeopordy.

His stint in Finland did nothing for his development/value. Everyone knows his play in such a inferior league means nothing. Playing at home close to his Mommy shows a massive amount of insecurity in himself and his play.

Again. Im hoping these reports are misleading at best because publicly saying he isnt confident enough to play in the KHL... Wow. Talk about lacking a competitive edge. We may have drafted someone that makes Pancake Penner look ambitious.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If the reports are right and its Finland or NHL/bust... I think his career is in serious jeopordy.

His stint in Finland did nothing for his development/value. Everyone knows his play in such a inferior league means nothing. Playing at home close to his Mommy shows a massive amount of insecurity in himself and his play.

Again. Im hoping these reports are misleading at best because publicly saying he isnt confident enough to play in the KHL... Wow. Talk about lacking a competitive edge. We may have drafted someone that makes Pancake Penner look ambitious.
Maybe he wants to play close to home, a player of his caliber won’t be making a ton more in the KHL than the liiga.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If he comes to training camp ready to make the team and improve it, who gives a shit what he has said.

Oiler players won’t, the fans hold more grudges than the players do.

I agree, but I don't want him here if this is because his league is shut down and he is just giving it a twirl over here. If he wants to come here with his head out of his ass, be a team first player and earn his ice time, then I am all for it. I just don't see that happening as now his agent is on excuse number 3 why he doesn't want to play in Edmonton.

I do think what happens is with the flat cap for the next 3-5 years his value may have risen as teams will want players on cost controlled contracts, and that we recoup at least one of the 2nd round picks we used to get AA.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I agree, but I don't want him here if this is because his league is shut down and he is just giving it a twirl over here. If he wants to come here with his head out of his ass, be a team first player and earn his ice time, then I am all for it. I just don't see that happening as now his agent is on excuse number 3 why he doesn't want to play in Edmonton.

I do think what happens is with the flat cap for the next 3-5 years his value may have risen as teams will want players on cost controlled contracts, and that we recoup at least one of the 2nd round picks we used to get AA.
I say offer him a handshake deal that if he tries here again and he doesnt pan out, we trade him for what we can get. Maybe by the 30 game mark?

Or even an out clause to go back to Europe, if that's allowed

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

Well if Pulju'd said he's interested in the KHL he would be blamed for lack of ambition and confidence, right? :)

With the current corona situation the KHL isn't a tempting option and next season all the teams will obviously be playing inside Russia. And Sweden's corona situation is one of the worst, the border between Finland and Sweden is basically closed.

Right now Finland is one of the safest places to be and one of the most realistic places to have their hockey season start in the autumn as there were just 30 new confirmed cases during the last 7 days. I don't know what Pulju really thinks, but right now the NHL/FEL (maybe to start a season in Finland and to come to the NHL when it starts) makes sense.

Reactions: Al from New Jersey

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe he wants to play close to home, a player of his caliber won’t be making a ton more in the KHL than the liiga.
That's true he won't probably make much more money, but if he is there to be developing one would think playing against tougher competition would be more beneficial for this upcoming year.

Honestly if this were a prospect being interviewed for the combine there would be a ton of questions on this kid's heart and desire to be the best he can.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Where did you see that?

edit: By the way, even if he had said that I wouldn't blame him. Apart from that the covid19 situation is not very stable in Russia, he would also be playing in other countries where the response to this pandemic has been somewhat complicated (trying to be nice), like Belarussia. I used to work in a sector in which safety culture is extremely important, and let's just say that the few times I was in Russia or even in some of the Baltic states (estonia/litunania) there was an enormous difference in how they perceived danger and worked on safety. This is not all bad by the way, but in a crisis like this I would not go there.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I say offer him a handshake deal that if he tries here again and he doesnt pan out, we trade him for what we can get. Maybe by the 30 game mark?

Or even an out clause to go back to Europe, if that's allowed

Yea no... enough with the handshake deals between the Oilers and Letho/JP. As if the first time this happened wasn't bad enough...

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yea no... enough with the handshake deals between the Oilers and Letho/JP. As if the first time this happened wasn't bad enough...
it would be the best kind of handshake deal though.

If Puljujarvi isn't working out, why would we want to keep him? We can't send him to the AHL. If he is a constant healthy scrratch it becomes a distraction, and the value goes even lower. So it's really just laying out a strategy that works for both sides.

This isn't the type of handshake deal where we say, "play really well and we will trade you." Those are the tricky ones that can end bad. JP would like to be here if he can be successful for himself and for the team.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
it would be the best kind of handshake deal though.

If Puljujarvi isn't working out, why would we want to keep him? We can't send him to the AHL. If he is a constant healthy scrratch it becomes a distraction, and the value goes even lower. So it's really just laying out a strategy that works for both sides.

This isn't the type of handshake deal where we say, "play really well and we will trade you." Those are the tricky ones that can end bad. JP would like to be here if he can be successful for himself and for the team.

Does he though?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Does he though?
Idk but maybe this big pause, time away, the Oilers being better and this new world give JP a way to join and save face. He was hinting he could return. Maybe he just needs some assurances from the team that things will be different this time

And yes it is coddling but I think it's okay sometimes. It's about getting the ball rolling in the right direction. If we draw the line in the sand it likely means we get little to nothing out of this situation

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Idk but maybe this big pause, time away, the Oilers being better and this new world give JP a way to join and save face. He was hinting he could return. Maybe he just needs some assurances from the team that things will be different this time

And yes it is coddling but I think it's okay sometimes. It's about getting the ball rolling in the right direction. If we draw the line in the sand it likely means we get little to nothing out of this situation
What is going to be different? He will be giving the same shot that everyone else was given this year.

In fact he screwed himself by not coming this year. Now with the play of others the top 6 isn't as open as it was this year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What is going to be different? He will be giving the same shot that everyone else was given this year.

In fact he screwed himself by not coming this year. Now with the play of others the top 6 isn't as open as it was this year.
I do think he screwed himself and may be he sees that. So that is different. I think its worthwhile to get him back

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I do think he screwed himself and may be he sees that. So that is different. I think its worthwhile to get him back
I do too, but I'm really not making any promises if I'm Holland.

All Holland and Tippett should say to him is look at what we did in 19-20. We brought in all sorts of guys and gave them a shot. Whether it was James Neal coming off a bad year, Ethan Bear who was unknown across the league, Haas from a different league or even Yamamato who was a highly touted prospect. They all were given a chance, they just had to earn it or wait for a chance to come.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
wish they would just close the book on this kid already. Trade him for a 7th who cares
One of the dumber posts I've seen lately although I suspect/hope it was tongue in cheek.

He's clearly still a good asset and Holland is managing it properly. Worst case he's not traded and we see how beneficial his year in Finland was.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Well if Pulju'd said he's interested in the KHL he would be blamed for lack of ambition and confidence, right? :)

With the current corona situation the KHL isn't a tempting option and next season all the teams will obviously be playing inside Russia. And Sweden's corona situation is one of the worst, the border between Finland and Sweden is basically closed.

Right now Finland is one of the safest places to be and one of the most realistic places to have their hockey season start in the autumn as there were just 30 new confirmed cases during the last 7 days. I don't know what Pulju really thinks, but right now the NHL/FEL (maybe to start a season in Finland and to come to the NHL when it starts) makes sense.

Where did you see that?

edit: By the way, even if he had said that I wouldn't blame him. Apart from that the covid19 situation is not very stable in Russia, he would also be playing in other countries where the response to this pandemic has been somewhat complicated (trying to be nice), like Belarussia. I used to work in a sector in which safety culture is extremely important, and let's just say that the few times I was in Russia or even in some of the Baltic states (estonia/litunania) there was an enormous difference in how they perceived danger and worked on safety. This is not all bad by the way, but in a crisis like this I would not go there.

If covid in Russia is bad, and that is the reason, sure.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
If covid in Russia is bad, and that is the reason, sure.

There's been posters who've said that if Puljujarvi wants to play in the KHL it'll show lack of ambition. Now you're saying he's lacking ambition because he's not interested in playing there.

Anyway corona makes things simple as right now most professional hockey players are not looking towards the KHL. There's a lot uncertainty around it and it seems the Finnish KHL team Jokerit will either take the full year off or move to St. Petersburg for the year. Fans would not take that well and a lot of player would obviously decline to move, so there's only bad decisions for them it seems.

The KHL team Torpedo Nizhni Novgorod that holds Jesse's rights also isn't the most appealing one compared to some of the biggest teams in Moscow or St.Petersburg or the one in Finland. I wouldn't turn it against a player if he doesn't want to play there, even without corona. But he could make some good money there, probably more than in the Oilers next season.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
There's been posters who've said that if Puljujarvi wants to play in the KHL it'll show lack of ambition. Now you're saying he's lacking ambition because he's not interested in playing there.

Anyway corona makes things simple as right now most professional hockey players are not looking towards the KHL. There's a lot uncertainty around it and it seems the Finnish KHL team Jokerit will either take the full year off or move to St. Petersburg for the year. Fans would not take that well and a lot of player would obviously decline to move, so there's only bad decisions for them it seems.

The KHL team Torpedo Nizhni Novgorod that holds Jesse's rights also isn't the most appealing one compared to some of the biggest teams in Moscow or St.Petersburg or the one in Finland. I wouldn't turn it against a player if he doesn't want to play there, even without corona. But he could make some good money there, probably more than in the Oilers next season.

He is a young player/prospect. Proven as a low nhl level talent but wanting to be treated as a star.

This kid needs to be in the best league possible for all involved. Playing as much as possible. That is the KHL barring him coming to Edmonton.

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay past time for Puljujarvi to stop playing at the kids table.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
He is a young player/prospect. Proven as a low nhl level talent but wanting to be treated as a star.

This kid needs to be in the best league possible for all involved. Playing as much as possible. That is the KHL barring him coming to Edmonton.

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay past time for Puljujarvi to stop playing at the kids table.

Maybe I don't quite understand you in this one. I thought you wrote you were unhappy about him saying no to the KHL. You also claimed he'd said publicly he isn't confident enough to play in the KHL.

I guess it's not too unfair to ask for a source? Or is that based on the fact he'd said no to several offers from the KHL team that own his rights? Do you then think he should've made a deal with them?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

PJ can rot in Finland.

Maybe I don't quite understand you in this one. I thought you wrote you were unhappy about him saying no to the KHL. You also claimed he'd said publicly he isn't confident enough to play in the KHL.

I guess it's not too unfair to ask for a source? Or is that based on the fact he'd said no to several offers from the KHL team that own his rights? Do you then think he should've made a deal with them?

Source from 5 Mins last page. Puljujarvi only interested in nhl or Finland.

All I'm saying, and have been, is Puljujarvi time in Finland is pointless for everyone. He is better off in the ahl (not an option this year) or the KHL if he is not coming back to Edmonton. Finish league just isn't good enough to develop a young potential nhl star. Pretty much anywhere would be better than the Finish league for where he is at in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad