Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Unless you use that early second in another trade for an actual NHL player it still does not make much sense unless you know for sure he is not coming back. Even an early second has less than a 1 in 10 chance of being a contributing NHL'er within the next 3 years and probably a less that 1/4 chance of ever being a regular NHL'er.

I agree in general with you. I guess for me, I am talking more about a specific situation where you have an early second round pick and theres a guy sitting there that you think is a top 15-20 talent. I think it could happen in this draft where there are a lot of really good forwards. I think for example if your drafting at #34 and Jan Mysak is sitting there, I would trade Puljujarvi for that pick at this point. But generally speaking I have been against trading Puljujarvi for a second round pick. It doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I agree in general with you. I guess for me, I am talking more about a specific situation where you have an early second round pick and theres a guy sitting there that you think is a top 15-20 talent. I think it could happen in this draft where there are a lot of really good forwards. I think for example if your drafting at #34 and Jan Mysak is sitting there, I would trade Puljujarvi for that pick at this point. But generally speaking I have been against trading Puljujarvi for a second round pick. It doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.
Of course in the right situation it could make sense. But even in this circumstance you probably lose on the deal. I'd still say that Puljujarvi has a better than 50 % chance of being better than a typical 15-20 in the draft, This year the guys in that range are pretty solid players but most have their flaws. If a guy drops the second round that means the scouts see those flaws as significant. Such players often do not turn out and fairly rarely end up being impact players.

In the McDavid draft only Aho has established himself as a top end player. There are 4-5 others who will be solid to very good NHL'er. That's about a 20% chance in a very deep draft of getting a solid NHL'er.

In 2003 there were about 7 impact players out of the 2nd round. In contrast the 2014 draft has yet to produce a player who is much better than a bottom 6 forward or a bottom 3 defenseman.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That video seems to show he's improved his ability of giving his teammates an option. Alot of the time he was backing away from traffic to get them an option rather than just covering himself in traffic.

Id be interested in seeing a video of all his assists to see how his playmaking is.
He was doing that in the AHL a bit to. The question is if he can at the NHL level.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Of course in the right situation it could make sense. But even in this circumstance you probably lose on the deal. I'd still say that Puljujarvi has a better than 50 % chance of being better than a typical 15-20 in the draft, This year the guys in that range are pretty solid players but most have their flaws. If a guy drops the second round that means the scouts see those flaws as significant. Such players often do not turn out and fairly rarely end up being impact players.

In the McDavid draft only Aho has established himself as a top end player. There are 4-5 others who will be solid to very good NHL'er. That's about a 20% chance in a very deep draft of getting a solid NHL'er.

In 2003 there were about 7 impact players out of the 2nd round. In contrast the 2014 draft has yet to produce a player who is much better than a bottom 6 forward or a bottom 3 defenseman.
McDavid draft year is a bad example. There are more than 4-5 solid players picked after the 1st round. 2020 draft is probably the closest to 2015 draft.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Seattle really need to steal the Rocking Cocks for their team. Ideally with a finnish accent.

That's a name of a summer league team. But there are two big Finnish handball teams named Cocks and Dicken. Obviously Cocks got the name from the animal and Dicken comes from Drumsö Idrottskamrater.

Them playing against each other has been named El Romantico and when they face each other in the finals the Finnish media runs headlines such as "Cocks kovana Dickeniä vastaan", which can be translated to both "Cocks tough against Dicken" or "Cocks hard against Dicken".

Plenty of other ones such as "Cocks imi mehut Dickenistä", which can be translated to both "Cocks wore Dicken out" and "Cocks sucked juices from Dicken". Other ones include (always with a double meaning for children and adults):

Cocks stayed hard (/tough) in the final
Oh boy they're hard! Cocks champions again
Dicken made numb by the throb of Cocks
Diseased Cocks didn't get hold of stone-hard Dicken

I guess it's childish, but you don't always need to take things too seriously :)

Last edited:

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
That's a name of a summer league team. But there are two big Finnish handball teams named Cocks and Dicken. Obviously Cocks got the name from the animal and Dicken comes from Drumsö Idrottskamrater.

Them playing against each other has been named El Romantico and when they face each other in the finals the Finnish media runs headlines such as "Cocks kovana Dickeniä vastaan", which can be translated to both "Cocks tough against Dicken" or "Cocks hard against Dicken".

Plenty of other ones such as "Cocks imi mehut Dickenistä", which can be translated to both "Cocks wore Dicken out" and "Cocks sucked juices from Dicken". Other ones include (always with a double meaning for children and adults):

Cocks stayed hard (/tough) in the final
Oh boy they're hard! Cocks champion again
Dicken made numb by the throb of Cocks
Disesed Cocks didn't get hold of stone-hard Dicken

I guess it's childish, but you don't always need to take things too seriously :)

Childish or not but I have a new favorite handball team, didn't even know I needed a favorite handball team but go Cocks! Really hope the Cocks can go deep in the playoffs next season.

Reactions: Whyme

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Trying it decide if this is satire with the coach pretending to be upset with the guy who has 30 points in 4 games or legit insubordination by Pulju. His English is spot on there, though.
Seems pretty obvious they’re joking around :laugh:. Think that the comments on the post would confirm that.

56066264-126F-46F7-924B-ECA0579D9E56.png

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Thanks. I don't have a Tiktok account and never will so I can't see the comments. I was leaning towards satire given that Finns tend to rank fairly high up the list of goofy euros. :)

Finnish humour can be a bit different from other western countries, it's harder to tell when we're joking (compared to the countries i've lived in anyway)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Finnish humour can be a bit different from other western countries, it's harder to tell when we're joking (compared to the countries i've lived in anyway)

I think that’s why you see so many North American people who takes things that Finns say the wrong way. Especially Pulju as he is a real character.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
That's a name of a summer league team. But there are two big Finnish handball teams named Cocks and Dicken. ....., but you don't always need to take things too seriously :)

That's all fine I suppose, but I just don't see why you they couldn't be average sized teams... to be more inclusive.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When is the Finnish league starting this year? September? Seems like he should start the year there, no?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
First it was about lack of play time and opportunity.
Now it was his health all along.

Him and his agent sure love changing their story.

Yep. Let him rot. Unless we get a 1st rounder back and possibly dump cap, Holland is in no rush

The health thing is weird. It's never been even rumored there was any "health" issues... unless they mean mental health.

Even the double hip surgery was something I heard the Oilers pushed for. If I remember correctly it was rumored he thought he could at least finish the year and it was not serious.

This latest stuff has a less than official feel to it. Hopefully it's just media fishing for click bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad