Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The only thing Holland should tell him is that there openings on this team, if JP wants them then prove you deserve them.

Essentially the same thing Holland probably told everyone that he was trying to sign last year or trade for.

We are past the point of playing guys in spots because of their pedigree or draft spot. We need the best players for the position
You have to sell it to him a bit. You don't want your offer to sound like "you belong to us, you will get what we give you". It has to be "we need your skills and you're going to meet your draft potential here"

The problem with earning your stripes in our bottom six is that we don't have a strong center there, and there isn't much opportunity for offense. It's a place you can get stuck. It's a place where an Arichbald looks good.

You have to give JP some assurance that it is in our best interests to give him a little extra boost up the depth chart sometimes, even if it isn't "earned". Which is true btw. And it can pay off.

It's not much different than "gifting" ice time to players drafted higher, which happens for every team.

Reactions: Whyme

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You have to sell it to him a bit. You don't want your offer to sound like "you belong to us, you will get what we give you". It has to be "we need your skills and you're going to meet your draft potential here"

The problem with earning your stripes in our bottom six is that we don't have a strong center there, and there isn't much opportunity for offense. It's a place you can get stuck. It's a place where an Arichbald looks good.

You have to give JP some assurance that it is in our best interests to give him a little extra boost up the depth chart sometimes, even if it isn't "earned". Which is true btw. And it can pay off.

It's not much different than "gifting" ice time to players drafted higher, which happens for every team.
Man I don't even treat women like that anymore. Either you want to go out with me or you don't. If you don't want me then I'll ask your friend sitting next to you and so on.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A key player? Don’t make me laugh. He’s easily replaceable.
Yes, RNH's partner going on two seasons.

'Easily replaceable' is an interesting opinion also considering the unit could just as easily regress to the bottom of the league next season in terms of efficiency.

Top four forwards on that unit were Sheahan, Archibald, RNH and Khaira. Assuming Sheahan doesn't return, I'm not fond of dumping another contributor just for the sake of opening up a fourth line roster space.

Khaira's a 26 year old guy that can play multiple positions, kills penalties effectively, is popular in the locker room and will likely earn close to what he makes currently on his next deal. He brings value to the roster.

Reactions: KYams17

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Man I don't even treat women like that anymore. Either you want to go out with me or you don't. If you don't want me then I'll ask your friend sitting next to you and so on.

How is this working? :DD Anyway, you mentioned KY earlier and I basically agree with what you wrote in that msg, but KY was given a top6 place for quite a while in his first years and at the time quite a few over here mentioned how differently him and Pulju were handled. Anyway, it seems the Oilers did a great job with Yamamoto.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I agree in principle. But in reality, even the best teams have strong leadership and character, but not everywhere. Sometimes, you coddle a player for a while if you need their skills. For instance, I would say that Schultz had some character weakness, but he also became a key part of winning the cup for Pittsburgh. I think JP stood out in a bad way here, because our team was losing. On a winning team, everything seems better, especially a decision to give a talented player extra leash

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Khaira's a 26 year old guy that can play multiple positions, kills penalties effectively, is popular in the locker room and will likely earn close to what he makes currently on his next deal. He brings value to the roster.

In fact Khaira, Strome and Pulju formed a very promising line in a preseason. I really wanted to see them in action, but somewhow McLellan broke the line just before the season started. Pulju played one game in the new line before being dropped to the 4th line. It wasn't even a bad game, but the line didn't show similar chemistry as the above mentioned.

Reactions: KYams17

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree in principle. But in reality, even the best teams have strong leadership and character, but not everywhere. Sometimes, you coddle a player for a while if you need their skills. For instance, I would say that Schultz had some character weakness, but he also became a key part of winning the cup for Pittsburgh. I think JP stood out in a bad way here, because our team was losing. On a winning team, everything seems better, especially a decision to give a talented player extra leash
Maybe Holland might say some nice things to JP and his agent, but Tippett is here to win. He won't be coddling JP at the expense of wins.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How is this working? :DD Anyway, you mentioned KY earlier and I basically agree with what you wrote in that msg, but KY was given a top6 place for quite a while in his first years and at the time quite a few over here mentioned how differently him and Pulju were handled. Anyway, it seems the Oilers did a great job with Yamamoto.
It works well. If a woman is that god damn picky and hard to get I don't want to be in a relationship with her.

As for KY. He didn't really play that much either year and was sent down to Bakersfield. I thought dnicks or someone had a post on here that JP did in fact play with higher end players

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Maybe Holland might say some nice things to JP and his agent, but Tippett is here to win. He won't be coddling JP at the expense of wins.
Winning games looks good on Tippett, but maybe even moreso would be turning Puljujarvi around. And, not many would blame him for trying, as long as the leash isn't too long

Reactions: nally

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Winning games looks good on Tippett, but maybe even moreso would be turning Puljujarvi around. And, not many would blame him for trying, as long as the leash isn't too long
I agree about giving him a shot, but yes that leash has to be short.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

And he shouldn't. Many, I'd like to say it seems a majority, over here felt Puljujarvi was thrown between lines/benched more easily than the others. And he wasn't used on the PP. Give him a fair chance and let him know they still believe he'll be more than a bottom6 no PP guy.

In some other teams with no young stars like McD and Drai Puljujarvi would have more opportunities so it's no wonder if he rather takes a gamble and plays in the KHL if needed instead of becoming a 0-0 guy in the bottom6. Giving a fair opportunity doesn't mean giving more than one deserves.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It works well. If a woman is that god damn picky and hard to get I don't want to be in a relationship with her.

As for KY. He didn't really play that much either year and was sent down to Bakersfield. I thought dnicks or someone had a post on here that JP did in fact play with higher end players

Good for you :D Maybe I should've tried the same when I was single :DD

But KY, during his first years he played almost completely in the top 6 at first. I remember as many over here compared his treatment with the way Pulju was handled. I didn't write here at the time, but read the posts. Anyway, KY was finally sent to the bottom6, but only after having a long look in the top 6.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Good for you :D Maybe I should've tried the same when I was single :DD

But KY, during his first years he played almost completely in the top 6 at first. I remember as many over here compared his treatment with the way Pulju was handled. I didn't write here at the time, but read the posts. Anyway, KY was finally sent to the bottom6, but only after having a long look in the top 6.
He only played a stint of 9 games and 17 games before this year. It’s not like he was given a 20 game look in the top 6. Jesse had every opportunity to establish himself there and couldn’t do it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The problem with Khaira is he's overpaid a couple hundred thousand bucks, otherwise he kind of is just your regular 4th liner.

They are 4th liners for a reason. If they were completely rounded and had no issues, then they wouldn't be 4th liners.

At soon to be 26 I think you give him another year to see if he can round out better. If after next seasons he doesn't get better and he wants too much money then move on from him.

Reactions: nally

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Khaira-RNH-Puljujarvi was an effective line for about 10 games.. then Todd split them up for no reason... I think the oilers will just have McDavid and Draisaitl play the full 2 mins of any PP... First unit is all lefties, Bear,Bouchard, Yamo, Puljujarvi can all get some time on the PP to give a different look, been missing that RH one timer since Stoll left

Reactions: joestevens29

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Bias? He’s a terrible hockey player plain and simple. Check the stats, then check the career stats. Most organizations bury this player in a hurry.
Pulju at worst is a 3rd liner. No organization buries that. Quit kidding yourself

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Then why hasn't he been buried? Why didn't Mclellan bury him
Who knows why? His play under Mclellan was terrible and there’s no improvement since. He glides around, turns the puck over EVERY shift and had his ass handed to him fighting a smaller guy. Complete waste of a roster spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad