Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I am all about winning and people growing. I would still let him try out if he had a change of heart for next year.

I agree with this. I just don't think he should have a very long leash at this point. Also I like Holland's approach here. It helps that the team no longer NEEDS him to work out to be successful. He's a proper asset now which I think is good for everyone involved.

I personally hope the right deal comes along that works for everyone.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Eye test tells that he still has same problems that he had in NHL.
Now that competition is easier and he has Lammikko and Pyörällä covering hiss ass it sure looks good in stats.
Also whole Kärpät team is just op in most games.

One thing that disturbs most. Puljujärvi still quits situtations to easily.

On good side his skating is better and he uses his body more.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
For the star prospect he was, at his current age, he is not putting up the kinda points I was expecting. He is also not getting as much chatter, fanfare, or interest as I thought he would.

He is in the exact same place he was before he went to Europe. A 50/50 chance at best get plays another nhl game until his contractual obligations are complete.

It's going to be tough for him to have a legit nhl career after spending the next 6 years in Europe.

He would/will be best served coming back to the Oilers next year if they are willing to take him back.

space321

May 11, 2011
For the star prospect he was, at his current age, he is not putting up the kinda points I was expecting. He is also not getting as much chatter, fanfare, or interest as I thought he would.

He is in the exact same place he was before he went to Europe. A 50/50 chance at best get plays another nhl game until his contractual obligations are complete.

It's going to be tough for him to have a legit nhl career after spending the next 6 years in Europe.

He would/will be best served coming back to the Oilers next year if they are willing to take him back.

I don't get this way of thinking that the Oilers are infallible. He's not under any contractual obligations to the Oilers. A f***ing lottery ball decides the fate of 18 year olds for the next 10 years, to me that is pretty ridiculous. Anyways, holding on to him just out of spite is such a petty thing to do. Doesn't look good to future FAs either.

The kid was straight up not having a good time here, because he doesn't want to learn English (which btw, is not as easy some some people here make it out to be), and also because the locker room wasn't as welcoming probably? Either way, for his own mental health, he made a very brave decision to take a step backwards, sometimes you need to do that to get back on track.

Also I dont' think Jesse has been doing below expectations at all, not sure what your expectations are for him. He's the best player on the best team in Liiga.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I don't get this way of thinking that the Oilers are infallible. He's not under any contractual obligations to the Oilers. A ****ing lottery ball decides the fate of 18 year olds for the next 10 years, to me that is pretty ridiculous. Anyways, holding on to him just out of spite is such a petty thing to do. Doesn't look good to future FAs either.

The kid was straight up not having a good time here, because he doesn't want to learn English (which btw, is not as easy some some people here make it out to be), and also because the locker room wasn't as welcoming probably? Either way, for his own mental health, he made a very brave decision to take a step backwards, sometimes you need to do that to get back on track.

Also I dont' think Jesse has been doing below expectations at all, not sure what your expectations are for him. He's the best player on the best team in Liiga.

these rules need to be changed, if you and your team can’t come to an agreement during your RFA status, it should be a 2 year max before you can officially enter free agency, or a full 82 game period. The fit isn’t their so why completely ruin his career. Accept it’s not working and move on

Reactions: space321

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
these rules need to be changed, if you and your team can’t come to an agreement during your RFA status, it should be a 2 year max before you can officially enter free agency, or a full 82 game period. The fit isn’t their so why completely ruin his career. Accept it’s not working and move on

Nah, I dont think the league would agree to that. Not sure the players would even want that, regardless, given that almost all of these players recieve mad investment money from NHL teams that likely doesn't exist if team control time drops.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He can always sign with the Oilers and request a trade or try to arrange an offer sheet once he is eligible. The NHL has no obligation to let him choose where he wants to play. And conversely he is free to seek employment in any other league if he chooses. No one is ruining his career. It is his choice to follow the path he is on.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Let's not forget about his double hip surgery this offseason.

I think Holland will do everything in his power, and more, to try and convince Puljujarvi to show up to training camp here next year. Would be a huge boon.

Oct 15, 2008
He decided not to sign a contract that was offered. He decided to demand a trade. He decided to go home.

If anyone shoulders the blame for ‘ruining’ his career it would be him.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Eye test tells that he still has same problems that he had in NHL.
Now that competition is easier and he has Lammikko and Pyörällä covering hiss ass it sure looks good in stats.
Also whole Kärpät team is just op in most games.

One thing that disturbs most. Puljujärvi still quits situtations to easily.

On good side his skating is better and he uses his body more.

If someone can cover his ass, the they are NHL bound...

Who are Lammikko , and Pyörällä?

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

I dont know if this is text of bitterness? Im pretty convinced he will not come back. He doesnt want to play in a canadian city, to much pressure for him I think.

space321

May 11, 2011
He can always sign with the Oilers and request a trade or try to arrange an offer sheet once he is eligible. The NHL has no obligation to let him choose where he wants to play. And conversely he is free to seek employment in any other league if he chooses. No one is ruining his career. It is his choice to follow the path he is on.

Why does he need to sign with the Oilers to request a trade? Why would he sign a contract with a team that he has no intention to play for?

He's on the path he's on right now because of the NHL's RFA rules. NHL rules are f***ing mental (the whole draft syste in NA sports in general, I much prefer European football style management rules). For whatever reason Jesse is unhappy on the Oilers (language barrier, teammates, homesickness, whatever) and now he's basically at the mercy of the Oilers until he's like 25. It's actually laughable how people think that's fair. It's also laughable how bitter some people are that he won't sign with the Oilers. I sense there's a crowd of people just hoping for him to fail. It's pathetic.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why does he need to sign with the Oilers to request a trade? Why would he sign a contract with a team that he has no intention to play for?

He's on the path he's on right now because of the NHL's RFA rules. NHL rules are ****ing mental (the whole draft syste in NA sports in general, I much prefer European football style management rules). For whatever reason Jesse is unhappy on the Oilers (language barrier, teammates, homesickness, whatever) and now he's basically at the mercy of the Oilers until he's like 25. It's actually laughable how people think that's fair. It's also laughable how bitter some people are that he won't sign with the Oilers. I sense there's a crowd of people just hoping for him to fail. It's pathetic.
Cause they're seeing it from a fan perspective and not a human perspective.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

He's on the path he's on right now because of the NHL's RFA rules. NHL rules are ****ing mental (the whole draft syste in NA sports in general, I much prefer European football style management rules). For whatever reason Jesse is unhappy on the Oilers (language barrier, teammates, homesickness, whatever) and now he's basically at the mercy of the Oilers until he's like 25. It's actually laughable how people think that's fair. It's also laughable how bitter some people are that he won't sign with the Oilers. I sense there's a crowd of people just hoping for him to fail. It's pathetic.
He can request a trade where he is right now. But if his goal is to play in the NHL his current choice is the Oilers. Its not a question of being fair. If he does not like it he can stay in Finland and the Oilers can't stop him. But after investing several million dollars in this player why should they not retain control on an asset that is important to their team?

As far as bitterness, I hold none towards him. in fact, exactly the opposite. He's a kid in a business that is extremely high-stakes and definitely not for the faint of heart. . Most people his age have a hard time deciding what to eat on their on let alone manage the pressure that comes from an NHL job. Frankly if he is happy in Finaland I am fine with him staying there. It's his life. But I also want the Oilers to play their hand as well as they can.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Cause they're seeing it from a fan perspective and not a human perspective.
Its not a matter of fan vs human perspective. NHL jobs are extraordinarily rare opportunities. There are less than 1000 of them in any given year. Part of price of such an opportunity is that you play where you are told until you earn the right for greater choice. That's the rules of the game.

There are lots of professions where if you want to work at a certain level and receive high-end compensation job location is potentially highly restricted. NHL hockey is an extreme but this is by no means a rare phenomenon.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Its not a matter of fan vs human perspective. NHL jobs are extraordinarily rare opportunities. There are less than 1000 of them in any given year. Part of price of such an opportunity is that you play where you are told until you earn the right for greater choice. That's the rules of the game.

There are lots of professions where if you want to work at a certain level and receive high-end compensation job location is potentially highly restricted. NHL hockey is an extreme but this is by no means a rare phenomenon.
A job is still a job. Don't kill yourself over a job that will replace you in a split second. If it's not working out for you, find another job that you're more comfortable and the environment is better for your mental. If McDavid can't help you. Maybe your own country men can. Happiness builds confidence. Confidence builds skills. That's what Pulju is doing and fans are still grilling him for it.

Reactions: space321

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
A job is still a job. Don't kill yourself over a job that will replace you in a split second. If it's not working out for you, find another job that you're more comfortable and the environment is better for your mental. If McDavid can't help you. Maybe your own country men can. Happiness builds confidence. Confidence builds skills. That's what Pulju is doing and fans are still grilling him for it.
As I said, if he is not happy in the NHL then he should stay in Finland. But you can't have it both ways.

My guess is that had signed a one year $1M deal and quietly asked for a trade it would have happened. But the way it was handled by his people forced Holland's hand. It would have been gross mismanagement had Holland simply acquiesced.

Reactions: Aerchon

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016

The rules are this way to keep it fair otherwise young players can just refuse to play for less desirable teams, then sign with the major teams at first opportunity. This would not be fair for teams that continually suck, no young players would want to play for them wouldn't you agree?

Reactions: harpoon

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

European football rules are stupid. They eliminate parity. You can literally buy yourself a good team (e.g. Manchester City). It doesn't actually make the league good if the same teams win 90% of the time.

If the KHL / SHL / etc.. were decent and there were international tournaments between the teams then it might make sense, but even then it sucks at a national level.

Reactions: The Bored Man

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
JP has been overwhelmed by the NHL...the amount of work needed for a player to compete; the necessity of working 200 feet every game, the expectations on teams/players to succeed and managing on his own in a strange country. He flourished in a much less demanding environment and doesn't seem prepared to take on the challenge. Even his junior coach was surprised by his draft status...and the Columbus GM figured it out when he interviewed JP and passed on him in the draft.
Still some growing to do...let's talk in a couple of years.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
European football rules are stupid. They eliminate parity. You can literally buy yourself a good team (e.g. Manchester City). It doesn't actually make the league good if the same teams win 90% of the time.

If the KHL / SHL / etc.. were decent and there were international tournaments between the teams then it might make sense, but even then it sucks at a national level.
All soccer is stupid*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad