Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I feel pretty confident that he'll be moved at the draft. He has no future here and there's not really any reason for Holland to drag it out.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The one thing we know for sure is that both he and his agent have shit for brains and are not going to do anything rational for anyone, including themselves.

Rational thought suggests Puljujarvi going back home did not help his nhl career and short of breaking records will not.

Puljujarvi, especially with his commitment to a full year in Finland, does not prioritize an NHL career.

I think it's safe to say Puljujarvi has a 50/50 chance at best to play another nhl game prior to becoming a UFA 5/6 years down the road.

If he stays in Europe as a forward, whoever gets Puljujarvi will get a rough player unfamiliar with the nhl game at the end of his prime years.

For an "successful" nhl career he "needs" to have a full nhl season next year.

Honestly I think that means playing for the Oilers. I really think eating his pride and coming back to the Oilers is THE BEST way he gets a successful nhl career.

Otherwise I think he has to do A LOT better this year in Finland and Internationally and perhaps... perhaps he gets moved at the trade deadline or at the Draft.

My point being, in this rant, is the clock is ticking. He isn't "young" anymore after this season. There is only one league where he can get the experience he needs and things need to drastically change for him to get back to that league.

I don't ever see Puljujarvi being moved for a second round pick or some less than good return. Maybe this year, he could be moved at the draft, if a forward like Lavoie is available in the second round again and that team wants him bad enough. Even that is far fetched imo.

Puljujarvi better be working his ass off both at the rink and outside (English) this year to have a hope of being trade period imo.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I recall reading somewhere that pro leagues seasons count for European players wherever they play.
The CBA explicitly says 40+ games in NHL roster for an Accrued Season (for skaters for UFA purposes). Funnily enough it's literally the first thing stated in the CBA (Section 1: "Definitions").

And for anything he does in Europe to count in NHL for whatever purpose, he should be under an existing NHL SPC during that time, which he currently is not.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
So if you're Holland do you sell him for as little as a 2nd round pick or do you tell him that either he comes back or as long as you're GM of the team he will stay in Finland if he won't come back to play for us?

I think if he was willing to take a 2nd round pick, he would of already been traded. I thought I read a rumour that he was asking for a lot for JP, although I am not sure what "a lot" really means.

I personally dont see the point of trading him for a second. I'd want a similar type of prospect whos not working out for another team or a better offer. I am not saying hes worth it, but I dont see the point of taking anything less.

Reactions: Aerchon

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I think if he was willing to take a 2nd round pick, he would of already been traded. I thought I read a rumour that he was asking for a lot for JP, although I am not sure what "a lot" really means.

I personally dont see the point of trading him for a second. I'd want a similar type of prospect whos not working out for another team or a better offer. I am not saying hes worth it, but I dont see the point of taking anything less.

I'd rather trade him for a pick, personally.

Why pick up a player trending toward failure when you can get a player who hasn't failed yet?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'd rather trade him for a pick, personally.

Why pick up a player trending toward failure when you can get a player who hasn't failed yet?

I would agree depending on what the pick is. If its a mid to late first round pick or early second round pick, that makes sense. But if its a mid second round or later, I dunno. I imagine the fear with JP is that you dont get awhole lot for him, and then he blows up on the next team, being in a canadian market, the GM head is going to be a stake.

Reactions: nabob

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
After watching Holland on After Hours Saturday night, his cold expression said it all, when asked about Puljujarvi and the December 1 deadline. He was 100% fine with Jesse playing in Finland. The success of the team so far made it an easy decision for him, and had almost no pressure to sell before December 1.

If the Rangers and/or Habs miss the playoffs, they'll be coming for him hard. Apparently those were the 2 teams trying to pull in Jesse on multiple occasions. So here's to hoping Pulju has a healthy, successful, productive season in Karpat. I hope he leads the team in pts, goals, and even wins a championship. The return will be oh so sweet

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
imo at the draft Holland will make a final push for Puljujarvi to remain an Oiler, with some promises about how he will be used on the team, with a promise to trade him quickly if it doesn't work out that way.

We are a team that lacks forward depth. We should be a great place for him, and we've made a ton of changes so it's not the same place as last season.

Imo, it's possible that Holland didn't try hard to trade him or to sign him. He likely prefers that JP stay in Europe to gain confidence, something that he can't do in the AHL due to waiver eligibility.

Reactions: PositiveCashFlow

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pulju doesn't realize the gift we actually gave him. He was on track to be UFA just a month after turning 25 thanks to how we wanted his ELC and RFA years. He had loads of career left to go wherever he wanted. Just had to play 1 more year to have arbitration rights as well to get to UFA ASAP. Tossed that chance away because he's scared of embarrassing himself again on this team for the 4th time.

Also had another way to get out this year. Sign a 1 year deal and if he plays like crap, he's on waivers and probably gets picked up.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
imo at the draft Holland will make a final push for Puljujarvi to remain an Oiler, with some promises about how he will be used on the team, with a promise to trade him quickly if it doesn't work out that way.

We are a team that lacks forward depth. We should be a great place for him, and we've made a ton of changes so it's not the same place as last season.

Imo, it's possible that Holland didn't try hard to trade him or to sign him. He likely prefers that JP stay in Europe to gain confidence, something that he can't do in the AHL due to waiver eligibility.

We really don't need to go down that road again and make promises to him and his agent. If he wants back on the team he better be apologizing to his teammates and coaches. I don't want him anywhere near the locker room if he has the same entitlement issues.

Reactions: Aerchon

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Kenny doesn't need to make any promises. This is a men's league and if he can't earn a spot on our team he can play in Europe until UFA. The NHL shouldn't cater to the whim of entitled kids.

Many first round picks have been deemed a bust with a higher PPG than Jesse. If not for his age, his draft position and the performance of those drafted around him, people would have long given up on him.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Pulju doesn't realize the gift we actually gave him. He was on track to be UFA just a month after turning 25 thanks to how we wanted his ELC and RFA years. He had loads of career left to go wherever he wanted. Just had to play 1 more year to have arbitration rights as well to get to UFA ASAP. Tossed that chance away because he's scared of embarrassing himself again on this team for the 4th time.

Also had another way to get out this year. Sign a 1 year deal and if he plays like crap, he's on waivers and probably gets picked up.

he, maybe he felt that he was best developed to go back to his roots. I get he isnt the most popular guy here, but kids doesnt choose wich team who draft them, and where to play. If he felt that hes career was going in the wrong direction, then he did the right call, because he still has his young "developing years" now. If he doesnt land in a place where he feel he can reach it, he just loose some important years.

But I dont think Jesse is made of the right material to be a NHL player. To hard for him to address his weknessess.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Waiting until the off-season was always the right move. There's plenty of hockey left for him to make a name for himself again. Could see him playing very well at the World Championships and getting a good return for him at the draft.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He got 1+3 last game. Currently 37 points in 38 games and 6th in scoring in Liiga 7 points behind league leader. +20

Do you or anyone know how hes actually playing? Just wondering if he looks dominant out there or just good while racking up some points here and there?

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
He didn’t want to be here this year, I don’t want him next year. Good riddance.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
My god we made some bad picks . Puljujarvi , PRV , Yakupov , Even RNH as a 1st over all isn't great . We done better with later picks . Eberle , Yamamoto and Klefbom all in the 20 range . Too bad we couldn't turn time back and made difference picks

Hall for Seguin
RNH for Couturier
Yakupov for Hampus Lindholm
Puljujarvi for Tkachuk

We would be the Kings of centre

Draisaitl McDavid Kassian
Tkachuk Seguin Yamamoto
Benson Couturier Yamamoto
Sheahan Haas Archibald

I know it would not of worked out that way . Better players mean a better team so we miss out on McDavid . Just nice to dream .

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Do you or anyone know how hes actually playing? Just wondering if he looks dominant out there or just good while racking up some points here and there?

saw some advanced stat posted a while back that they use in Finland to combine stats like high danger scoring chances for/against, corsi, puck possession and a few others and Puljujarvi was #1 on the list.

possibly someone can find it?

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

His game score (combined fancies) are off the charts good. He's been the best forward - if not the best player - in the league.

The trouble is any team smart enough to appreciate those results will also be smart enough to Marino Holland.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Is Pool party actually improving by the eye test? Not a perimeter player? No MPS butt checks?

Is he engaged physically? Or is it more reaching in? Does he not look lost anymore? Does he actually have balance on his skates? No more down the wing and muffin shots?

I pretty much put him out of my mind. He did not belong on NHL ice last year. Hopefully somebody gives us even a 3C useful player for him.

Not a knock on him either. Drai did not even belong on NHL ice when we sent him down. Dude could barely skate around out there properly lol.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
I have seen multiple games of his team Kärpät. Almost every game he is the most noticeable player on the ice. Playing 200 foot game, carrying puck from own end to offensive zone time after time, running PP, shooting more than anyone in the league, throwing hits, winning board battles, creating shooting chances for his line mates, especially those trailing behind. He is fast and strong, highly motivated too. There are sometimes pucks lost in low pressure situations, but way less than when he was playing against NHL competition. Anyway, he is not playing against better players than he is and that's visible with points.
My sincere opinion is that Jesse is a lot better hockey player now than he was on last spring. He is valuable assett even if things are soured between GM, manager, player, whatever the situation is, don't know. Would't trade him to lesser player than Roope Hintz for example or first round pick outside top ten. There is potential for top six player, don't know when and where that will burst out.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I am all about winning and people growing. I would still let him try out if he had a change of heart for next year.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
His game score (combined fancies) are off the charts good. He's been the best forward - if not the best player - in the league.

The trouble is any team smart enough to appreciate those results will also be smart enough to Marino Holland.

I didn't think he'd be worth it to any team previously, but I wonder if some team would give up a late first for him. Perhaps Jesse's stay in Finland will turn out to be the best possible way to get some kind of okay return for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad