Rumor: Jesse Puljujarvi Part 3: Maybe He Picked Out His Brain Through His Nose One Lick at a Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I bet most foreign Canadians can't afford to go out nightly for dinners, or stay somewhere foreign for 4 months.
Who cares, and what does that have to do with anything.
What we do know, by JPs own admissions, is his effort isn't there. But b/c of the $ he makes, we know 1000% the means are definitely available to him
Yeah, so like I said, nothing to do with money and everything to do with time, effort and exposure. Having ‘the means’ means nothing if you are an lazy, unmotivated idiot. So your statement that ‘learning a foreign language is EASY if you have MONEY’ was completely inaccurate.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
BLH is a read you do when you got nothing else to do IMO. His stance on JP though is as bad as nabob's here. I've read his tweets and god, JP can do no wrong in his eyes. It's always someone else's fault for his lack of success.

Thats the problem right there. I recently listened to a political podcast and they relayed a story that went viral...it was about a millennial who was training to be an editor. She gave some work to her boss to check over and her boss highlighted a word that was spelled incorrectly. The 20 something year old woman said to her boss that she didnt agree with the notation that this word was spelled incorrectly..she told her boss that she had always spelled that word that way.
The word has hamster...the woman spelled it with a 'P;....hampster.
Her boss (also a woman) recommended that they look up the spelling of the word together and that made no difference to the 20 year old....she insisted that the way she spelled the word was right because she always spelled it that way. The 20 year old broke down in tears and excused herself from the meeting with her boss. She then called her MOM from the general work area (she worked in a cubicle) and spoke to her on speaker phone so all of her co-workers could hear the conversation.
She told her mom what happened and her Mom told her that she was right and that she should go over hers bosses head and complain that she was being treated unfairly.
Its amazing to me how this person was even hired for this job....her toxic attitude should have been highlighted in the interview process.

My point in sharing this is that when you raise entitled kids they will have no capacity to handle adversity and they will have a sense of entitlement that precludes them from being accountable for their actions. It will always be someone elses fault.
Many people support this type of flawed and ultimately destructive thinking.

This situation with Jesse looks similar to me in the sense that they has been absolutely no accountability from Jesse on anything....its always been someone elses (the team..the coach...etc) fault. Very similar to Yakupov before him.

I have to say much in the same way I would not want that 2o year old woman on my publishing team I would also not want a player like Jesse on my hockey team.

This once again speaks to the interview process. Hopefully this team under Holland has adjusted the obvious flaws that allowed for players like Yakupov and Puljujarvi to be drafted.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Please tell me she was fired.

I never heard how that played out...she sure should have been fired.

I really hope we have seen the last of Puljujarvi.
I do not want Holland to give him away but I honestly do not want him on this team moving forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Makes no effort. Key words.

As per McDavid. He doesn't spend his nites playing vids. He goes out for dinners w his teammates. You know how he can afford to go out NIGHTLY? Cuz he has MONEY

As per JP...he plays vids online to keep in touch w his Finnish friends. He also bolts back home in the offseason. You know what he can do? He can go out to eat with his teammates nightly and stay in NA. You know how he can afford to do both? Cuz he makes MONEY.

I bet most foreign Canadians can't afford to go out nightly for dinners, or stay somewhere foreign for 4 months without working and nothing but free time.

What we do know, by JPs own admissions, is his effort isn't there. But b/c of the $ he makes, we know 1000% the means are definitely available to him
Wait, so now the next red line he crossed was going home to Finland in the off-season??
:laugh::laugh:

I bet you that only in the very very rare exception European players don't go back home in the offseason, especially young ones who still have no roots in NA.

Edit: I don't even know why some need to find new angles to further go after him, what has happened is already more than enough for strong critisism.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Oh? We are on our third Puljujarvi thread of the summer. That’s 3000 posts and counting. Most of those posts haven’t been worth the time it took to type them out - or the time it took to read them. Suddenly the board has quality standards?

What I saw when I logged on this morning was a guy I recognize from years on the site who had posted a link and suggested it might be ‘interesting’. I read the link and found it ‘interesting’. I was a bit taken aback by some of the virulent responses. I felt they were unfair. I made a post stating so. Now if someone can prove that the poster and the blogger are one in the same, that might change my opinion a bit. I won’t hold my breath on that happening though. If you recall you and I were accused of being the same person at one time. Lots of empty accusations on this site.

To address your comments - if you want to have this conversation I think it’s important for you to say directly whether or not you agree that McDavid and/or Draisaitl told the coach that they didn’t want to play with Puljujarvi. Or worse, made comments to that effect in front of a ‘journalist’. Or even worse, said something on the bench that the whole team heard. Don’t go off on a long winded reply about how nobody wants ‘a dolt dragging down their line’. Just let the board know whether or not you think the comments were made.

Here’s what I think. I think they did make the comments to a member of the coaching staff. And I think that person leaked it out to a ‘journalist’ who couldn’t wait to hint at what he knew in his column or on his show and make himself look ‘connected’. You would agree I’m sure that having those comments in the public domain is not helpful.

If such comments were made it’s disappointing imo. Most of my disappointment would be with whoever leaked it to the ‘journalist’. Players should be able to speak honestly with their coaches in confidence. If that trust doesn’t exist it’s evidence of a broken team.

It seems from JP’s agents comments (the team remains the same) that one of the big reasons JP doesn’t want to play in Edmonton anymore is that he doesn’t get along with some team mates. If the problem was with some role player on the team I couldn’t see JP taking such a strong stand. If the problem was with the leadership of the team ... well, maybe JP knows he’s cooked in Edmonton. I think the BLH blog raises that point very well. You may not like where the blog chooses to lay the blame, but I don’t feel that it rises to the level of ‘offensive’.

I don’t like Puljujarvi. I’ve never been a fan. He didn’t make plays and he gave the appearance that he wasn’t taking his job seriously. And once he made public trade demands I was done with him. I don’t care if he ever plays in Edmonton again. I can have that attitude and still find the BLH blog mildly interesting. Sue me.

Its immaterial what I think about whether Drai or McD stated something like that. If it was stated I trust that they did it with discretion as both have been impeccable role models, exceedingly appropriate, ideal young stars. Nothing even remotely questionable has emanated from either of them. Theres few players that I would give blind trust to, McD and Drai fit that entirely. So I have answered your question as much as I'm going to.

But again one reason people have been hostile towards the article, and I think that's an accurate depiction, is the lunatic raving at the end of the article that McD and Drai are to blame and that they hurt poor Pulju and wouldn't let him play in any of their reindeer games.. pffft ;)

The article deserves to be mocked. Entirely, because what it contains has zero credibility in summation. You can't do a quid pro analysis of the article and pretend the most bizarre conclusion in it doesn't exist. The blame McD and Drai part. That's a really weird and offensive conclusion that those two are "the problem".

I've seldom seen a worse choice of words or framing of an argument than in the conclusion of that article.

Last edited:
Reactions: IAGTTAYM

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Wait, so now the next red line he crossed was going home to Finland in the off-season??

I bet you that only in the very very rare exception European players don't go back home in the offseason, especially young ones who still have no roots in NA.

Edit: I don't even know why some need to find new angles to further go after him, what has happened is already more than enough for strong critisism.

I've been a huge critic of his since this whole fiasco started, however I do not blame him in the least for going back home during the offseason. He could still work on his English in Finland if he wanted to. Yes it's easier to pick up the language when you converse with other English speakers, but as long as he has a tutor with him, watches videos, whatever it should still have improved compared to what it has. Too bad there isn't a tutor to help with growing up and not pissing away a golden opportunity, not that he'd listen to them anyway :)

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
It still baffles me how unprepared the team was for this player. I remember being at that draft in Buffalo and they didnt even have his name on the jersey. All the talk was about them being interested in Tkachuk and Sergachev. Those were the players that they studied, that they had an idea of the developmental needs for. They should have taken one of them or traded down.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

How many of those players you speak of have publicly been called out by management over language? Have self admitted language was holding them back?

There's a huge difference from Datsyuk/Ov going home every year.
A) there games don't suck and they aren't struggling
B) their coaches aren't citing language as an obstacle for development
C) They haven't admitted language as a reason for them struggling

Nail Yakupov, who was never publicly called out for language, but spoke terrribly, we all know management asked him to improve. That's just common sense. He mentioned he moved here in order to improve his English quicker to get a running start on his development. There's a commitment level there. One JP doesn't have.

So ya, mentioning that 3 years running he doesn't put any extra effort to assimilate is more than valid

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
How many of those players you speak of have publicly been called out by management over language? Have self admitted language was holding them back?

There's a huge difference from Datsyuk/Ov going home every year.
A) there games don't suck and they aren't struggling
B) their coaches aren't citing language as an obstacle for development
C) They haven't admitted language as a reason for them struggling

Nail Yakupov, who was never publicly called out for language, but spoke terrribly, we all know management asked him to improve. That's just common sense. He mentioned he moved here in order to improve his English quicker to get a running start on his development. There's a commitment level there. One JP doesn't have.

So ya, mentioning that 3 years running he doesn't put any extra effort to assimilate is more than valid
What do you mean moved here?

Did Yakupov not go back in the summers?? I know lot's of these guy move here, Pulju as well I guess. But even if you move somewhere it does not mean you don't go back to your family home when you're off. I have lived 15 years away from Sweden and even though nowadays I only go like 2-3 weeks a year in the first 5 years I was home much more often.

Maybe Pulju didn't have anyone who could come with him, I know that quite a few Euros being mothers, brothers etc for the first years in NA (Laine's mother lived with him here for a coupke of years). Does not stop them from going back in the summers of course.

This language thing is getting too much though, I think the two countries with best english knowledge (not being a native language) is Holland and Denmark. Like 90-95% of them speak English even though they live among dutch people and danes... That Pulju spent 2-3 out of 12 months in Finland is the least of all issues I have seen so far brought up, and that is saying something. 1) I think the language is way over-blown issue (I have said before it is/was one problem, not the problem), I know it has been mentioned so you don't need to re-quote that again, 2) to the specifics, as @Bryanbryoil said above, of course he could work on his english in Finland if necessary. Already spending 75-80% of his time in NA more than covers the being around english speaking people part for someone learning.

You're kind of saying that since his problem was so unique he should have done what you think is correct, i.e. stay in NA for the offseason (which I stillthink almost no one does). Let's turn thst around, which other players with crappy English decided to stay in NA for the summer due to that? I am guessing none.

What he needed was better career advice obviously. That looks like a 100 times bigger issue than the language barrier.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
What do you mean moved here?

Did Yakupov not go back in the summers?? I know lot's of these guy move here, Pulju as well I guess. But even if you move somewhere it does not mean you don't go back to your family home when you're off. I have lived 15 years away from Sweden and even though nowadays I only go like 2-3 weeks a year in the first 5 years I was home much more often.

This language thing is getting too much though, I think the two countries with best english knowledge (not being a native language) is Holland and Denmark. Like 90-95% of them speak English even though they live among dutch people and danes... That Pulju spent 2-3 out of 12 months in Finland is the least of all issues I have seen so far brought up, and that is saying something. 1) I think the language is way over-blown issue (I have said before it is/was one problem, not the problem), I know it has been mentioned so you don't need to re-quote that again, 2) to the specifics, as @Bryanbryoil said above, of course he could work on his english in Finland if necessary. Already spending 75-80% of his time in NA more than covers the being around english speaking people part for someone learning.

What he needed was better career advice obviously. That looks like a 100 times bigger issue than the language barrier.

Yak bought a house here and his sister moved in w him. His soul reason as per him was so he could exellerate his English over the summer and to absorb the NA way of life.

JP, for guy who walks home alone carrying 80 pounds of equipment, it's not rocket appliances he could use some NA culturing to help him mesh w his team

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Yak bought a house here and his sister moved in w him. His soul reason as per him was so he could exellerate his English over the summer and to absorb the NA way of life.

JP, for guy who walks home alone carrying 80 pounds of equipment, it's not rocket appliances he could use some NA culturing to help him mesh w his team
As I said, maybe Pulju didn't have a sister/mother or other to come. Anyway, you didn't answer my question, did Yakupov not go home in the summer?
Even if he didn't you can still easily turn that around and say that it is probably not good for your english and/or integration to bring family members with you. Because chances are you'll be spending an unproportionally large amount of time with them instead of with english speakers.

... and why is Yakupov brought up as good example? There was talk that Yak did not fit in the locker room as well. At the end of the day pulju looks to be heading down the same road as he did.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
As I said, maybe Pulju didn't have a sister/mother or other to come. Anyway, you didn't answer my question, did Yakupov not go home in the summer?
Even if he didn't you can still easily turn that around and say that it is probably not good for your english and/or integration to bring family members with you. Because chances are you'll be spending an unproportionally large amount of time with them instead of with english speakers.

... and why is Yakupov brought up as good example? There was talk that Yak did not fit in the locker room as well. At the end of the day pulju looks to be heading down the same road as he did.

I did answer you. He bought a house. That is the answer.
Is Yak a hermit cuz his sister moved here? Does he not shop, eat, swim, workout, or go to movies b/c his sister is here? B/c his sister is her does that mean he voids all other human contact?

You're missing the point . Who cares if he didn't work out in Edm, the philosophy is still the same. Being surrounded by a culture

It's the same philosophy that the Pens used having Sid move in w/ Mario. So he could be surrounded by good habits and learn the valuable things to get him to another level. Do you think Sid would have benefited more from moving in w/ someone like Kuznetsov and ripping rails all night?

The point is immersion would be a good way to expedite his struggles, which, as admitted, are somewhat language based

It's not rocket appliances

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Thats the problem right there. I recently listened to a political podcast and they relayed a story that went viral...it was about a millennial who was training to be an editor. She gave some work to her boss to check over and her boss highlighted a word that was spelled incorrectly. The 20 something year old woman said to her boss that she didnt agree with the notation that this word was spelled incorrectly..she told her boss that she had always spelled that word that way.
Her boss (also a woman) recommended that they look up the spelling of the word together and that made no difference to the 20 year old....she insisted that the way she spelled the word was right because she always spelled it that way. The 20 year old broke down in tears and excused herself from the meeting with her boss. She then called her MOM from the general work area (she worked in a cubicle) and spoke to her on speaker phone so all of her co-workers could hear the conversation.
She told her mom what happened and her Mom told her that she was right and that she should go over hers bosses head and complain that she was being treated unfairly.
Its amazing to me how this person was even hired for this job....her toxic attitude should have been highlighted in the interview process.

My point in sharing this is that when you raise entitled kids they will have no capacity to handle adversity and they will have a sense of entitlement that precludes them from being accountable for their actions. It will always be someone elses fault.

This situation with Jesse looks similar to me in the sense that they has been absolutely no accountability from Jesse on anything....its always been someone elses (the team..the coach...etc) fault. Very similar to Yakupov before him.

I have to say much in the same way I would not want that 2o year old woman on my publishing team I would also not want a player like Jesse on my hockey team.

This once again speaks to the interview process. Hopefully this team under Holland has adjusted the obvious flaws that allowed for players like Yakupov and Puljujarvi to be drafted.

But I like hampster better than hamster.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Is Yak a hermit cuz his sister moved here? Does he not shop, eat, swim, workout, or go to movies b/c his sister is here? B/c his sister is her does that mean he voids all other human contact?

You're missing the point . Who cares if he didn't work out in Edm, the philosophy is still the same. Being surrounded by a culture

It's the same philosophy that the Pens used having Sid move in w/ Mario. So he could be surrounded by good habits and learn the valuable things to get him to another level. Do you think Sid would have benefited more from moving in w/ someone like Kuznetsov and ripping rails all night?

The point is immersion would be a good way to expedite his struggles, which, as admitted, are somewhat language based

You lost me, is buying a house and moving in with your sister, but still leaving for summer vacation, much different from staying in a rented apartment by oneself?

I don't know what moving in with someone has to do with anything, are you shifting blame back to the Oilers? I mean it is normally the team that sets up room mates and it's the team/team mates who offer housing to rookies. I know this happens a lot but I have no idea who Pulju did it and I honestly don't care looking.

My point was to ask you if you seriously think that Pulju going back to Finland in the offseason was/is a problem. Because that's something everyone does and you still have another 9 months in EDM/NA (and the possibility to learn english anywhere) so I don't see the issue at all with that.

You think Pulju is a misfit, and that is a big problem which he could have over-come by integrating more and learning the languague better. Ok, maybe he is a misfit, but he is hardly the first player to be that, and they come in all languages, so it may not have changed very much at all even if he learned perfect english.

This line of argument against Pulju is really a reach imo, and I know I am partly guilty since I keep replying so I will leave it here.

Cheers

Bangers

May 31, 2006

Where does one purchase said rocket appliances?

Definitely adding those to my Christmas list.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
whom are you referring to ??
The intelligent young lady in guymez’s post above mine.
Yak bought a house here and his sister moved in w him. His soul reason as per him was so he could exellerate his English over the summer and to absorb the NA way of life
In a discussion about bad English, you have to be doing this on purpose, right?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

This post is absolutely awesome. And it’s terrifying. I can’t believe what we’re doing to our children.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
This post is absolutely awesome. And it’s terrifying. I can’t believe what we’re doing to our children.
A little off topic but this is exactly why people should be engaged/concerned about how our educational system is implemented. Currently our next generation is turning into a bunch of entitled brats because they always get "participation marks" and teachers aren't allowed to give them zeroes, even if they don't even show up to school.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->