Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I don't like any of that speculation. McDavid made a mistake imo and I think owned up to it. If he didn't than I would think he has an attitude problem but we of course will never know for sure if McDavid made amends or not.

I actually don’t think it’s a mistake, I like seeing some emotion from our guys. It’s an in the moment thing, McDavid wants to win.

Isn’t the first and won’t be the last time we see a player angry with a teammate

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I actually don’t think it’s a mistake, I like seeing some emotion from our guys. It’s an in the moment thing, McDavid wants to win.

Isn’t the first and won’t be the last time we see a player angry with a teammate

A question remains does one want to win games or have temper tantrums? The reality is You win as a team and lose as a team.

Reactions: Studz and Aerchon

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Don't let a certain super fan sway the narrative here. It's possible to talk logistically about the positives and negatives of his game without turning it into sides.
Unfortunately someone on here tries extremely hard to make those immature positions
No effort required. Your hate and intolerance does all the work.

Reactions: PulYou

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
McDavid yelled at him which means he sucks! Out of all possible players anybody can rip on, imagine ripping on JP. Sometimes I feel like some posters just refuse to admit they're wrong about a player which is rather sad.

Anyways, happy for JP and hope he continues to progress. f*** anybody who doesn't like the kid.
It’s amazing how predictable that this thread would turn into a single poster feeling the need to spew absolute trash about Jesse after the fact. It was so nice all season when this thread was devoid of his hate because Jesse was playing so well. Even in the playoffs Jesse was getting praise from coaches, teammates and media everywhere was recognizing how well he was playing. Yet the same poster is completely ignorant to it because Connor lost his cool for a moment.

Last edited:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
if he gets that one timer going, Im gonna say 27 goals, 25 assists

This will be a great line. Hyman and Puju in doing corner will will free up lots of space for McJesus

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
A question remains does one want to win games or have temper tantrums? The reality is You win as a team and lose as a team.

Ugh.

In the history of the NHL I would be stunned if there was a single Stanley Cup Champion where the Captain or another senior member of the team didn't give someone on the team shit for something at some point in the playoffs. This is such a non-issue, insane to me that people are treating this like some kind of major incident. It happens all the time in competitive sports.

You think Michael Jordan didn't like winning? He was about the biggest asshole you could possibly have as a teammate.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Have high hopes for Jesse this season. If he makes a similar like leap, not rare at his age, I think he really starts to catch people’s attention around the league as an upcoming high end winger. Now, often growth is not linear but I liked what I saw from his evolution through the season and think 30-30 is very doable with a respectable amount of PP time. Even higher with a lot.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Ugh.

In the history of the NHL I would be stunned if there was a single Stanley Cup Champion where the Captain or another senior member of the team didn't give someone on the team shit for something at some point in the playoffs. This is such a non-issue, insane to me that people are treating this like some kind of major incident. It happens all the time in competitive sports.

You think Michael Jordan didn't like winning? He was about the biggest asshole you could possibly have as a teammate.
Messier probably head butted people for a bad icing. Captain Serious over in Chicago likely just stares at whoever he thinks had the worst period for the entire intermission.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
15 goals 37 points in the bottom 6
20 goals 50 points with McD and no PP1
25+ goals 60 Points on PP1

to be fair, I see Hammer or McLovin taking Chia's spot on PP1. JP isn't really a net front presence type player. And he won't take Nuge's spot.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
15 goals 37 points in the bottom 6
20 goals 50 points with McD and no PP1
25+ goals 60 Points on PP1

to be fair, I see Hammer or McLovin taking Chia's spot on PP1. JP isn't really a net front presence type player. And he won't take Nuge's spot.

I think he is a very good net front presence and would only improve in that spot. I believe he should take Nuge's spot on the powerplay as I think he scored more one-timers in the short highlight video above than Nuge has in his entire career.

The team won't put him in that position as they can't have him succeed this year and afford a huge another large pay raise. So Puljujarvi will be given minimal opportunity on the PP in a position where he will be less likely to excel.

Once he signs his next contract the team will finally put him where he belongs on PP 1.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I think he is a very good net front presence and would only improve in that spot. I believe he should take Nuge's spot on the powerplay as I think he scored more one-timers in the short highlight video above than Nuge has in his entire career.

The team won't put him in that position as they can't have him succeed this year and afford a huge another large pay raise. So Puljujarvi will be given minimal opportunity on the PP in a position where he will be less likely to excel.

Once he signs his next contract the team will finally put him where he belongs on PP 1.

I believe a PP opportunity means more to Pulju than money. I understand the problem you described, but I think Pulju will settle to a decent contract if he feels he gets to use his strengths in the Oilers. I'm sure he doesn't want to move anywhere, but he needs to get PP chances. If he feels he's not getting them in the Oilers he might start to look elsewhere as it's been quite a few years like that already.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I believe a PP opportunity means more to Pulju than money. I understand the problem you described, but I think Pulju will settle to a decent contract if he feels he gets to use his strengths in the Oilers. I'm sure he doesn't want to move anywhere, but he needs to get PP chances. If he feels he's not getting them in the Oilers he might start to look elsewhere as it's been quite a few years like that already.
Who does he replace on the PP though? Nuge? He isn't really a net front guy and this team just doesn't run 2 units

Ementy

May 11, 2010
McDavid yelled at him which means he sucks! Out of all possible players anybody can rip on, imagine ripping on JP. Sometimes I feel like some posters just refuse to admit they're wrong about a player which is rather sad.

Anyways, happy for JP and hope he continues to progress. f*** anybody who doesn't like the kid.
JP is/was a goofball, he likes to joke around and not take things seriously, imagine being Mc David trying to win and JP is always goofing around. Time to take it seriously or go home was probably the jist of it.

It probably went a long ways for JP. JP probably thanked him.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Who does he replace on the PP though? Nuge? He isn't really a net front guy and this team just doesn't run 2 units

I guess that is a problem. Maybe they could at least give a bit more time to the 2nd unit and try him there. But I think he's actually been good as a net front guy and last year quite a few over here wanted him to take that spot. He got some usage at the end of games with pretty good success so it's possible they are planning to use Jesse in that role this year. We'll see how it goes.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I guess that is a problem. Maybe they could at least give a bit more time to the 2nd unit and try him there. But I think he's actually been good as a net front guy and last year quite a few over here wanted him to take that spot. He got some usage at the end of games with pretty good success so it's possible they are planning to use Jesse in that role this year. We'll see how it goes.
I think it'll be Hymans spot to lose

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I don't think the possible yelling was a big deal at all. I'm not even sure he was yelling at Pulju and even if he did those things happen. To me it seems he isn't even looking at Pulju. According to what I read he also shook his head at Bear's turnover so those things happen when the game gets intense.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I forgot him. I'm not happy if they leave Pulju out once again and I'm not sure how Jesse will react if it seems he has no PP future in the Oilers, but we'll see.
He gets to play almost all his shifts beside the best player in hockey. If that's not good enough cause he doesn't also get pp time then ehhhh

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
He gets to play almost all his shifts beside the best player in hockey. If that's not good enough cause he doesn't also get pp time then ehhhh

That's also true. But at the same time it must be frustrating to wait for so many years for an opportunity on the PP. And of course it remains to be seen if he is placed in the first line, IMO it wouldn't make sense to drop him after last year, but you never know.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Personally I do think Oilers need better player to first line than Puljujärvi.
That said Puljujärvi might just develop to a good 2-way 50 to 60 point player.

Still cant really see that x-factor in him.

Hope I am wrong as Oilers need these dudes to deliver.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It’s a contract year so he won’t get as much time with Mcdavid or on the PP.

There's always the risk the player starts to look elsewhere if he's providing results but not getting that many opportunities.

Pulju's ESG/60 was the 2nd best of the team so I don't think a top-6 chance and maybe some PP usage is that unreasonable to ask at this stage.

I may not be liked for this comment, but I'm sure there are other teams that could use Pulju's defensive skills and goal scoring potential also on their PP. Other than that I don't see Pulju as someone who'd like to move from Edmonton or demand every single dollar in his contract.

Reactions: Porkleaker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad