Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pulju will explode for 70+ points this upcoming season by the way. I think the McDavid-Pulju combo only gets better at an exponential rate.

Reactions: Studz and PulYou

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If there's one thing that's just strange is anyone trying to crap on his game away from the puck. I would argue JP will be the Oilers best two way player as his game matures. One thing he can definitely learn is to develop a mean streak and not always allow the opponents to push him around as he's a huge guy.
Also for the love of God, please play him on the PP next season instead of putting Neal and Chiasson there.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
If there's one thing that's just strange is anyone trying to crap on his game away from the puck. I would argue JP will be the Oilers best two way player as his game matures. One thing he can definitely learn is to develop a mean streak and not always allow the opponents to push him around as he's a huge guy.
Also for the love of God, please play him on the PP next season instead of putting Neal and Chiasson there.

There’s a good chance he gets a shot for net front PP by default as the bolded will both likely be gone

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Anyone saying that Puljujarvi didn’t show anything this season that would lead you to believe that he’s going to be a top 6 player going forward clearly wasn’t watching. Also scoring at over a 20 goal pace with next to no PP time is definitely the sign of a top 6 scorer.

He fell 12x last game and was yelled off McDs line. He wasn't a factor in the playoffs.

What evidence do you have he is a staple top 6 next year?

You're so adamant but he fully deflated in these playoffs. Spent his last shifts on the 4th line

What did he show ALL year deserving of top 6 aside from being an Oiler and lack of depth. Kassian made quick work of his shifts w/ McD also.
He played well defensively and put up mediocre points w/ the top players in the NHL. Clearly his game has to elevate so stop making it sound as he is a lock. This summer will be huge for him if he learns to protect a puck or make space comsistantly.

His hype was HIGHLY exaggerated by the fact McD was on nitro and Barrie kept alot of plays alive

This isn't a knock on JP, but he was far from the player you're hyping...especially in the playoffs

Lets see what JP shows up before declaring him a national treasure. Dude was falling a ton his last half season

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
He fell 12x last game and was yelled off McDs line. He wasn't a factor in the playoffs.

You're so adamant but he fully deflated in these playoffs. Spent his last shifts on the 4th line

What did he show ALL year deserving of top 6 aside from being an Oiler and lack of depth. Kassian made quick work of his shifts w/ McD also.
He played well defensively and put up mediocre points w/ the top players in the NHL. Clearly his game has to elevate so stop making it sound as he is a lock. This summer will be huge for him if he learns to protect a puck or make space comsistantly.

His hype was HIGHLY exaggerated by the fact McD was on nitro and Barrie kept alot of plays alive

This isn't a knock on JP, but he was far from the player you're hyping...especially in the playoffs

Lets see what JP shows up before declaring him a national treasure. Dude was falling a ton his last half season

One almost thinks You either didn’t watch the playoffs or You just don’t understand what You were seeing.

Even most critical on his game (Edmonton Journal’s) Kurt Leavins rated him as the best player on Oilers team in game one.

JESSE PULJUJARVI. 8. The Oilers best player. A strong game and around the net throughout. Jesse Puljujarvi opened the scoring by finding some quiet space in the O-zone and then pouncing on a Tyson Barrie rebound for the 1-0. The celebration was worth the price of admission, wasn’t it? Jesse also just missed batting a puck out of the air and into the net on a 1st Period setup from Draisaitl. And couldn’t convert another feed from McDavid in the 1st. But he was dangerous all night. Fed Kahun for a 3rd Period opportunity. 4 shots and physical, 4 hits.

Yet again in game four Leavis wrote that Pulju was one of the best Oilers over the entire series.

JESSE PULJUJARVI. 7. Jesse earned an assist on the 1-1 with a headman pass through the neutral zone, although it was his aggressive play in front which took out 2 Jets that was more key in the sequence. Couldn’t make the play high along the wall on the 2-1. Another turnover part-way through the 2nd. Shuffled to a new line in an attempt to spread out the offence a little and performed well in that role. Got away a good shot on a pass from Russell. Drew a late 2nd Period slash to give his mates a 5-on-3 advantage. And had a terrific 1st OT Period overtime chance on a feed from Nurse. For a moment looked like he’d scored the winner in Double-OT, but the disk had slipped beneath the net and was rightly waved off. One of the best Oilers over the entire series.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
One almost thinks You either didn’t watch the playoffs or You just don’t understand what You were seeing.

Even most critical on his game (Edmonton Journal’s) Kurt Leavins rated him as the best player on Oilers team in game one.

JESSE PULJUJARVI. 8. The Oilers best player. A strong game and around the net throughout. Jesse Puljujarvi opened the scoring by finding some quiet space in the O-zone and then pouncing on a Tyson Barrie rebound for the 1-0. The celebration was worth the price of admission, wasn’t it? Jesse also just missed batting a puck out of the air and into the net on a 1st Period setup from Draisaitl. And couldn’t convert another feed from McDavid in the 1st. But he was dangerous all night. Fed Kahun for a 3rd Period opportunity. 4 shots and physical, 4 hits.

Yet again in game four Leavis wrote that Pulju was one of the best Oilers over the entire series.

JESSE PULJUJARVI. 7. Jesse earned an assist on the 1-1 with a headman pass through the neutral zone, although it was his aggressive play in front which took out 2 Jets that was more key in the sequence. Couldn’t make the play high along the wall on the 2-1. Another turnover part-way through the 2nd. Shuffled to a new line in an attempt to spread out the offence a little and performed well in that role. Got away a good shot on a pass from Russell. Drew a late 2nd Period slash to give his mates a 5-on-3 advantage. And had a terrific 1st OT Period overtime chance on a feed from Nurse. For a moment looked like he’d scored the winner in Double-OT, but the disk had slipped beneath the net and was rightly waved off. One of the best Oilers over the entire series.

Game 1 he was the best player on the ice, no doubt about it. Only someone completely bereft of hockey sense could say otherwise.

He had a strong series and McDavid and then Tippetts ire was badly misplaced. I believe McDavid it was speculated/lip read that McDavid said "my bad" after having his temper tantrum to Puljujarvi.

Of all the teammates McDavid could have gone off on in that Series Puljujarvi was one of the least deserving.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Mcdavid wasn’t good in the playoffs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Definitely think he has more to give. Don't think he has what it takes to be a 70+ point guy (few do) but that's not a knock on him either.

I'd like to see him put up a solid 50+ points this coming season if he has pp time.

Reactions: Faelko and nabob

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Game 1 he was the best player on the ice, no doubt about it. Only someone completely bereft of hockey sense could say otherwise.

He had a strong series and McDavid and then Tippetts ire was badly misplaced. I believe McDavid it was speculated/lip read that McDavid said "my bad" after having his temper tantrum to Puljujarvi.

Of all the teammates McDavid could have gone off on in that Series Puljujarvi was one of the least deserving.

That out burst really showed McDavid's character. I wonder how much he did that to Puljujarvi during his first stint with the Oilers.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Who's your winger for that spot? I'd look for a 2 way winger who uses size and skill
I like a 2 way guy with a shot. Everything on that line runs through 97, so I don't think we necessarily need a playmaker with lots of puck possession. Someone that can win battles, good IQ, and can get a good shot off when McDavid draws defenders.

On UFA I like:
Schwartz
Coleman
Nuge is actually a good option there if he can regain his 2019 self.
Hyman - although I don't think we really have a shot at him. I think he's back in Toronto or signing for too much, I wouldn't want him for 6 mil long term.

I also don't hate Galchenyuk, Hoffman or Granlund if the price is right. They don't necessarily fit the bill, but they have a great shot and offensive IQ.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
That out burst really showed McDavid's character. I wonder how much he did that to Puljujarvi during his first stint with the Oilers.

Character? McD is one of the hardest working players in the NHL.
JP showed up 3 years running ignoring direction from coaches and management.

If McD showed some animosity towards him the first time around...it's well warranted. That's what captains are supposed to do...hold their teamates accountable.

Too bad we live in an age where coddling and mediocrity are met with praises., and hand holding is a necessity.

Posts like this and the ones saying the Oilers "should" have forced tutored him are a testimant that laziness and stubborness have become a virtue, not a flaw

Thankfulky Messier isn't playing today, some fans would cry about how mean he is

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I really hope Holland tries to get Puljujarvi signed to a longterm contract this summer.

He is a prime candidate to have a massive season this upcoming year. On McDavid's wing, more comfortable there and being in the NHL in general, and will likely see a lot more PP time if RNH/Chiasson walk.

I'd bet a lot of money he'll be a lot more expensive to sign a year from now. So let get him on a steal RIGHT NOW

Reactions: nabob

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010

wtf are you talking about

yeah, he got yelled off mcdavid's line. and then he drove the third line by himself where he continued to get regular shifts deep into OT.

there was only one game in the series where he wasn't noticeable, and the rest of the games he was making things happen.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Character? McD is one of the hardest working players in the NHL.
JP showed up 3 years running ignoring direction from coaches and management.

If McD showed some animosity towards him the first time around...it's well warranted. That's what captains are supposed to do...hold their teamates accountable.

Too bad we live in an age where coddling and mediocrity are met with praises., and hand holding is a necessity.

Posts like this and the ones saying the Oilers "should" have forced tutored him are a testimant that laziness and stubborness have become a virtue, not a flaw
calm down boomer

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

Puljujärvi described McDavid as humble when asked in a Finnish interview. Had McDavid acted like a diva most of the time I think a word humble hadn’t come out of Pulju’s mouth.

I do think that McDavid knows his self worth and there certainly seems to be some build up pressure to win the Stanley Cup.

I think they did have a good team this season and they had some good runs where they looked like they were playing in a flow. They need the mindset to go further.

And losing one’s nerves in the middle of the playoffs is just a tell tale they are not yet there. I think they eventually will be there.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He seems like our best two-way player already. I've never seen him not back check, not fore check, not support the puck.... don't really see how anyone could have disliked his defensive game last year, he was a beast in that department.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
He seems like our best two-way player already. I've never seen him not back check, not fore check, not support the puck.... don't really see how anyone could have disliked his defensive game last year, he was a beast in that department.

McDavid yelled at him which means he sucks! Out of all possible players anybody can rip on, imagine ripping on JP. Sometimes I feel like some posters just refuse to admit they're wrong about a player which is rather sad.

Anyways, happy for JP and hope he continues to progress. f*** anybody who doesn't like the kid.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I don't like any of that speculation. McDavid made a mistake imo and I think owned up to it. If he didn't than I would think he has an attitude problem but we of course will never know for sure if McDavid made amends or not.

Reactions: PulYou

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
McDavid yelled at him which means he sucks! Out of all possible players anybody can rip on, imagine ripping on JP. Sometimes I feel like some posters just refuse to admit they're wrong about a player which is rather sad.

Anyways, happy for JP and hope he continues to progress. f*** anybody who doesn't like the kid.

Don't let a certain super fan sway the narrative here. It's possible to talk logistically about the positives and negatives of his game without turning it into sides.
Unfortunately someone on here tries extremely hard to make those immature positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad