Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I’ll still say that I believe he’s a Wheeler.

He’ll start hitting his prime at 24/25y
Wheeler lite maybe. Don't think he'll ever have +ppg season or the type of powerplay impact wheeler has been able to provide, but 50-60 point corsi god could be possible for his peak years.

Reactions: McOilers97

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wheeler lite maybe. Don't think he'll ever have +ppg season or the type of powerplay impact wheeler has been able to provide, but 50-60 point corsi god could be possible for his peak years.

I didn’t mean he’s going to become as good, but he’ll develop slower and hit his peak later

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
upload_2021-2-11_14-30-23.png

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
I don't understand this COVID protocol... Is Puju out for at least 10 days or could he return right away if he tests negative??

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Glad to see!

Also just wanted to add - Jesse's been such a breath of fresh air this season.
I ragged on him quite a bit last season for skipping dodge and heading back to Finland - this despite a change in coaching and management -whilst similar youngsters like Yamo, Bear, and even Jones came in, earned their icetime and excelled.

Well, in the end, maybe it's what the player needed. He looks like a totally new man. I feel like even when he's not on the scoresheet (which I think will also come), he's been making a positive contribution. That speed, size, and reach makes him a unique threat on the oilers. As the confidence continues to grow, I think we'll really start to see him bully players and make room for himself and his linemates. Keep it up JP :thumbu:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Been on this a while now. Say it’s so Jesse!

EDIT: I’ve looked at this a few times in slow mo. Don’t think Jessi’s chopped the stick. Likely just a feel thing after his most excellent isolation adventure. Hmm

Oilers have been working with players on stickhandling and controlling puck in traffic. You can see this in the play of Ennis, Pulju, Archibald, Kahun, JJ, even our D. Its a staple of the direction of Tippett who wants contantly increased puck possession. Our possession game has been demonstrably improved the last couple weeks, and the team on quite a run of winning 6/7 games.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Oilers have been working with players on stickhandling and controlling puck in traffic. You can see this in the play of Ennis, Pulju, Archibald, Kahun, JJ, even our D. Its a staple of the direction of Tippett who wants contantly increased puck possession. Our possession game has been demonstrably improved the last couple weeks, and the team on quite a run of winning 6/7 games.

Modern game is built upon puck possession. It rightfully should be a focus on individual drills and on-ice practise for sure. Puljujarvi's got great hand eye coordination and working on control for tight quarters like his eclipse-like net front presence will continue to grow his impact.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Been on this a while now. Say it’s so Jesse!

EDIT: I’ve looked at this a few times in slow mo. Don’t think Jessi’s chopped the stick. Likely just a feel thing after his most excellent isolation adventure. Hmm

It's definitely not a significantly shorter stick. Could be a lower lie, but I doubt it and can't confirm it based on this video.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Modern game is built upon puck possession. It rightfully should be a focus on individual drills and on-ice practise for sure. Puljujarvi's got great hand eye coordination and working on control for tight quarters like his eclipse-like net front presence will continue to grow his impact.

One of my favorite practice memories is seeing players like Ryan Smyth working on such drills as well as bounce the puck off the back boards, goal plays. He would do a lot of things around the net honing what looked like chaos plays during games. He would evade a lot of checkers behind the net or around the net just using goal or boards to bounce puck off. On the rush he similarly loved to simply bang puck off boards, step by defender, and recover puck. So much he did that was so basic, yet he hones his around the net moves, wraps, banging pucks for rebounds to an art.

Its nice that Pulju is again feeling confident in his skills here. The Oilers and us fans are the benefactors. He really has felt like an additional present this season.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
One of my favorite practice memories is seeing players like Ryan Smyth working on such drills as well as bounce the puck off the back boards, goal plays. He would do a lot of things around the net honing what looked like chaos plays during games. He would evade a lot of checkers behind the net or around the net just using goal or boards to bounce puck off. On the rush he similarly loved to simply bang puck off boards, step by defender, and recover puck. So much he did that was so basic, yet he hones his around the net moves, wraps, banging pucks for rebounds to an art.

Its nice that Pulju is again feeling confident in his skills here. The Oilers and us fans are the benefactors. He really has felt like an additional present this season.

Nice!

Practise is revealing. I've always loved getting a peek at open practices and watching the little things individual players do to refine or grow their craft. Same with getting to games early for the pre-game warm up. Can still remember the shock of seeing a newly acquired Canuck Tiger Williams repeatedly go top shelf, bar down with slot wristers. Sometimes forget the skill it takes for players to get to the game's highest level. And the workboots required to stay there.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
What a beast this kid is, he didn't miss a beat stepping back in tonight. He works so hard for his line trying anything to get the puck back on the forcheck.

Also in the ozone today he was just giving laser quick hard passes either to the point or to set up nuge or mcdavid.

If he gets a little more finish and luck he's going to be exactly what we wanted and more.
Good game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->