Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
With an attitude like that RNH is going to get himself his contract.
I remember seeing interviews with RNH about Jesse when he had left and it appeared that he was completely done with Edmonton.

Nuge spoke about him for exactly what he was. A young kid in a foreign country who wasn't at all ready or equipped to handle the spotlight and pressure that was thrown onto him by terrible management and a rabid fanbase desperate for success.

Even through all the rumors of McDrai not really digging him, Nuge always spoke about him in a positive light. f***in love that kid, and Nuge too. Hope they both stick around for years.

Would be awesome to see a guy like Nuge, who was put on a pedestal to right a sinking ship with no real leadership, turn into a leader that is actually helping this franchise climb out of the bottomless pit.

Poetic justice?

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Glad to see him succeeding. Hopefully he can continue to grow. People forget that prospect development is not linear, especially with European players. If I recall correctly, the Sedin twins took almost 5 years to properly produce to their potential and basically never looked back. Brian Burke got fired over the moves he made to secure those two, but in the end it put that team in a position to win a cup.

I'm not saying that Jesse is the next Henrik or Daniel Sedin, but just saying that sometimes it takes a bit of time for good prospects to find their legs.

Feb 20, 2013
Here's the hit. Certainly a head-shot from JP, but probably unintentional. Roussel's reaction seems understandable given this context. Somewhat surprised he was fined whereas JP was not.

Edit: I want to be clear, this is not my tweet, I don't consider the league a joke (in this regard) and I am not condoning Roussel's reaction. Merely pointing out that head contact was made and that is likely what set him off. My surprise in the fines is that the league has made a point of cracking down on head contact, so it seems like they would be more lenient with a player reacting to a perceived targeting of their head and not fine him the maximum amount without also fining the other player involved. It sends a mixed message.

Last edited:

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
We're calling that a "head shot" now? Roussel looking straight down, Pulujarvi is trying to kick the loose puck up to his stick, there's not much speed, and very light contact. Roussel was just being a punk like he has for his entire career, and got fined for his little tantrum. I we were going by precedent, it should be 2 games.

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
Here's the hit. Certainly a head-shot from JP, but probably unintentional. Roussel's reaction seems understandable given this context. Somewhat surprised he was fined whereas JP was not.

I don’t know if it’s because it’s slowed down or I’m missing something but that doesn’t seem like anything? Roussel’s staring at his skates and Pulju skates by and barely brushes him in a scrum. That’s what got him all bothered? Seems like a nothing play to me. Clearly no vicious or violent intent behind it.

Roussel is a useless plug and lashing out like that is the only way he can impact a game anymore.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

That gif doesn't tell the whole story. I re-watched the whole entire sequence of events twice to see what happened earlier in the shift. What happened was RNH rings one off the bar, the puck rebounds into the slot. Bouchard and a Canucks player went for it, all Bouchard could do was whack it towards the boards, in which he does. The puck takes a bounce, hits Roussell. As he has his head down, Jesse turns sharply to retrieve the puck as it is now along the boards and he's going into the space between Roussell and the boards. Roussell then spins and faces the boards right as JP arrives. JP's shoulder clips his head, Roussell goes bonkers.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Also, if Jesse had a mean bone in his body and meant to ‘headshot’ that sack of shit, Roussel wouldn’t have been on his feet to attack Jesse and instead would have been on his way to the Nucks locker room for concussion protocol.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Have to be attempting to hit someone for a headshot to be a headshot no? Jesse was playing the puck (or trying to) and glanced Roussells head. The fact that Roussell was fine speaks to how much of a non head “shot” that was.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Roussel may already have brain damage which is why he lost his shit there. That was hardly a head shot, it was an incident where players of two different heights bumped into each other. That said IIRC Roussel has always been a d-bag and may have been extra protective there since IIRC he has had concussion issues.

Wen22

May 28, 2006
Edmonton
As a short person playing hockey, I've been "head shot" like this so many times, yet I don't go all crazy. Not my fault my head is in the danger area lol

anti bullying.jpg

pink shirt for Nuge because it's anti-bullying day

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I remember seeing interviews with RNH about Jesse when he had left and it appeared that he was completely done with Edmonton.

Nuge spoke about him for exactly what he was. A young kid in a foreign country who wasn't at all ready or equipped to handle the spotlight and pressure that was thrown onto him by terrible management and a rabid fanbase desperate for success.

Even through all the rumors of McDrai not really digging him, Nuge always spoke about him in a positive light. f***in love that kid, and Nuge too. Hope they both stick around for years.

Would be awesome to see a guy like Nuge, who was put on a pedestal to right a sinking ship with no real leadership, turn into a leader that is actually helping this franchise climb out of the bottomless pit.

Poetic justice?
Puljujarvi makes hockey look like so much fun.

Anytime something good or positive happens, he's got the biggest smile in the rink, makes it easy to cheer for him.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Wow. Jesse is a total goon. Did you see how far he went out of his way to lower the boom on Roussel? Disgusting. Plays like Tkachuk. Roussel was vulnerable and Jesse’s shoulders clearly targeted him. Blew the poor guy right out of his socks! I hope he doesn’t miss too many games with what I can only assume is a massive concussion. And look how fast Jesse he was going!! It took him at least a foot and a half to stop and turn around. It’s not like he was trying to play the puck, which was right there, or anything. Someone’s gonna get killed if the league doesn’t crack down hard on reckless pluggers like JP.

/S

Get bent Roussel, you pretend-tough POS.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Edit: I want to be clear, this is not my tweet, I don't consider the league a joke (in this regard) and I am not condoning Roussel's reaction. Merely pointing out that head contact was made and that is likely what set him off. My surprise in the fines is that the league has made a point of cracking down on head contact, so it seems like they would be more lenient with a player reacting to a perceived targeting of their head and not fine him the maximum amount without also fining the other player involved. It sends a mixed message.

I was surprised he was fined also, and not suspended.

Should have been kicked out of the game for intent to injure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad