Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
While he still has a ways to go, I'd be crazy if I said he was the same player as he was at the start of the season, but I still think that he has a lot more to offer right now.
He can still be more persistent in keeping his feet moving, going to the net, initiating physical contact and being mindful of possible hooking, holding and interference infractions.
One thing I will say is great is that I don't see him playing hot potato with the puck nearly as often.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Surprising how many posters can’t detect obvious sarcasm because they’re too busy wanting to make personal attacks. Frig Frag lighten up a little.

Well considering how you respond to most criticisms of JP, hard to tell

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
What would be asking price for Puljujarvi? Would love to see him reunited with some fellow Finn's in Winnipeg.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I just posted elsewhere but again got thinking, what the hell happened, he looked such a beast with beautiful skating at 16y.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

I just posted elsewhere but again got thinking, what the hell happened, he looked such a beast with beautiful skating at 16y.

My guesses are a combo of he grew and lost some coordination, had to adjust to NA ice and learning english, had to learn a completely new playstyle where he was expected to be a defense first player, all while playing 8-12 minutes a game and being benched for every little mistake.

That'll kill anyone's confidence, which is absolutely huge in sports.

Reactions: McSpecial Blend

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Oilers happened.

My guesses are a combo of he grew and lost some coordination, had to adjust to NA ice and learning english, had to learn a completely new playstyle where he was expected to be a defense first player, all while playing 8-12 minutes a game and being benched for every little mistake.

That'll kill anyone's confidence, which is absolutely huge in sports.

That tourney was on NA ice, he has looked like a kid with coordination problems but it just feels he lost all his skills on 1 summer.
Which would suggest of a bad development.

Such have given him consistency instead of throwing him around, AHL/NHL, press box/benching and 1st line to 4th line.
I agree strongly that I believe confidence is everything for young players/prospects.

He looked so good on that tourney.

Reactions: Aerrol

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
That tourney was on NA ice, he has looked like a kid with coordination problems but it just feels he lost all his skills on 1 summer.
Which would suggest of a bad development.

Such have given him consistency instead of throwing him around, AHL/NHL, press box/benching and 1st line to 4th line.
I agree strongly that I believe confidence is everything for young players/prospects.

He looked so good on that tourney.

Yeah, I just meant the adjustment to NA ice in combination with him growing could cause coordination issues on top of everything else, which may explain why he looks like bambi out there some nights.

The best thing you can do for a prospect IMO is give them a consistent environment to develop, and the oilers failed JP on that in every regard.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I think he needs to go down again. He is young and there is talent. Just needs ice time.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I'd really love to get Lowry from WPG.

Not sure what the whole deal would look like, but he'd fill that 3C role.

Lowry would be a tough ask. He's technically our 3rd C but is elite at shutting down top lines.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018

He looks exactly the same as this today. This whole video is him not scoring, taking outside shots, and missing the net. Once in a while he busts through and creates a good chance with skating, like he's done in the NHL a few times.

He's pretty much the same now as in this video. I'm sure he'll get better.

Reactions: Zaddy

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

That was disheartening to watch. He hasn't looked anything like that with the Oilers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He looks exactly the same as this today. This whole video is him not scoring, taking outside shots, and missing the net. Once in a while he busts through and creates a good chance with skating, like he's done in the NHL a few times.

I agree. That and the NHL does not afford you that kind of time & space. But his lack of finish is evident even there.

Reactions: Zaddy

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Yup, exactly. That tournament is basically where my skepticism started with Pulju. He looks really good at first glance but when you look deeper into it you realize that him not getting a goal wasn't a coincidence. The guy just doesn't have much finish. His release, hands and puck skills are just not there. And it's the same stuff we see today and that's limiting him at the NHL level.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
That's some hilariously bad beer league defence.

Well Matheson is -23 on the year for a reason I guess ;)

But Florida is not a very good hockey team. Huberdeau -24 and even Barkov is -20. Tough to have your best players that deep in the minuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->