Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What!? This is such bogus

Bennet/3rd/CGY, Reinhart/4th/NYI, Dal Colle/5th/NYI, Strome/5th/NYI, Muray/2nd/Clb, Bogosian/3rd/Atlanta, Schenn/5th/TO, Johnson/3rd/Carolina, Pouliot/4th/Minny, Di Pietro/1st/NYI, Klesla/4th/Clb, Torres/5th/NYI, Svitov(WHO?????)/3rd, TB, Zherdev/4th/Clb, Barker/3rd/Chi, etc,etc,etc

The victim mentality is false

RNH, Hall, Drai, McD. Teams should be so lucky

Depends on the definition of bust as well. Tons of players taken in that range don’t meet expectations, are they busts? Also have to consider that in many years the difference between a 4th and 7th or 8th overall pick is often based on team need at the time of the draft. Bouchard could easily have gone 4th this year are his bust standards now way lower because he was choose lower?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Half the players you listed are from 10+ years ago and are not relevant, the other half are comfortably playing in the league and cant be classified as busts.

I'll go back 25 years. Who cares. The point is not all top 5 picks are homeruns

FYI, Jesse Puljujarvi is currently playing in the NHL

Yes, everyone I listed can be classified a bust relevant to their draft position

Reactions: nabob

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Depends on the definition of bust as well. Tons of players taken in that range don’t meet expectations, are they busts? Also have to consider that in many years the difference between a 4th and 7th or 8th overall pick is often based on team need at the time of the draft. Bouchard could easily have gone 4th this year are his bust standards now way lower because he was choose lower?

Yes. The standards change from top 5, 10, first round, second round. It's called "the draft". It's why NHL teams pay millions of dollars to scouts to make these predictions

It's why draft picks are valuable and GM's can use them as currency

Reactions: nabob and frag2

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
I'll go back 25 years. Who cares. The point is not all top 5 picks are homeruns

FYI, Jesse Puljujarvi is currently playing in the NHL

Yes, everyone I listed can be classified a bust relevant to their draft position
Relative to draft position you can then add RNH and Nurse to the Oilers bust list and lets not forget Paajarvi.

Reactions: Aerrol

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Relative to draft position you can then add RNH and Nurse to the Oilers bust list and lets not forget Paajarvi.

MPS is a bust.

RNH at the very min is a very good 2C.
Nurse is a top 4D

Do you see JP as a top 6 forward at the moment?

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
This kid makes me think of the Boston Dynamics humanoid and trying to teach it to skate on ice. Him falling over for no reason multiple times and sliding into the boards last night was hilarious. When his programming gets more advanced watch out. It's a technological marvel they got it to run on pizza.

Reactions: DerpMorg

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Oilers should just let some local beer league teams to play/practice on Rogers Place if they let Jesse be with them on ice.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

Atleast he's trying.

That's the thing with JP. He isn't out there coasting, or doing the yak thing and refuses to work on his game outside of his shot, or the paajarvi issue where he seemed to naturally be repelled from the corners/front of the net.

This kid is giving it his all on and off the ice. He's been in the media a few times already for being so popular with fans, he's clearly absolutely gutted when he makes mistakes based on his reactions, and doesn't take shifts off, he just doesn't always accomplish what he should. Then there's stuff like this that comes out, and just reinforces how badly he wants to succeed and be a contributing member of the team.

Jesse is going to be a successful NHLer, I'm sure of it, and I still believe he will be a top 6 guy in time.

Think about it, this kid probably hit a growing spurt and was getting used to his new height his draft year, only to come over to the NHL the year following. This means he was learning how to use his new found size, combined with trying to adjust to a completely different ice surface, language, playstyle, system etc, all while playing at most, 12 minutes a game and clearly not grasping the English language.

Eventually he gets sent to the AHL and gets some traction, and comes in after 10 games in the AHL the following season and scores 12 goals in 65 games while playing minimal pp time.

This season has been a write off for many, but Jesse if one of the ones I have a ton of patience for.

He has shown some promise in small doses despite what appears to be a pretty rough transition.I have complete faith he will be a classic late bloomer.

The way I see it now, he is an acceptable third liner who's development needed a reset, and hopefully got it with the hitch hire.

Now if chia can find us some scoring wingers, and people show some patience with JP, I think we still have a gem. I give it 2 seasons before he's a 20 goal 20-30 assist guy, and he'll keep getting better from there. The trick is going to be not running him out of town for not stepping into the NHL and immediately having success.

Reactions: oobga

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Agreed, but ultimately the player has to make the most of their situation as they can only control, what they do when the coach puts them out there.
Absolutely.

At this point with hitch in charge, Jesse's in charge of his own destiny. It's easy to look back and blame others for a rocky development path, but hitch is clearly doing his best to bring him along and help him succeed. It's up to Jesse to take that and run.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Atleast he's trying.

Still only 20 too. This season probably should have been his first in the NHL, with a lot of AHL time as well.

Oh well though, he's taking some steps finally IMO. He's not getting an easy ride either even though hitch is talking him up. He very consistently gets <50% offensive zone starts. He's not being hidden from good competition either. This is not like Yak getting zero defensive zone starts because the coaches are scared of what he's gonna do. Pulju is earning some respect with the coaches.

Reactions: MessierII

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's the thing with JP. He isn't out there coasting, or doing the yak thing and refuses to work on his game outside of his shot, or the paajarvi issue where he seemed to naturally be repelled from the corners/front of the net.

This kid is giving it his all on and off the ice. He's been in the media a few times already for being so popular with fans, he's clearly absolutely gutted when he makes mistakes based on his reactions, and doesn't take shifts off, he just doesn't always accomplish what he should. Then there's stuff like this that comes out, and just reinforces how badly he wants to succeed and be a contributing member of the team.

Jesse is going to be a successful NHLer, I'm sure of it, and I still believe he will be a top 6 guy in time.

Think about it, this kid probably hit a growing spurt and was getting used to his new height his draft year, only to come over to the NHL the year following. This means he was learning how to use his new found size, combined with trying to adjust to a completely different ice surface, language, playstyle, system etc, all while playing at most, 12 minutes a game and clearly not grasping the English language.

Eventually he gets sent to the AHL and gets some traction, and comes in after 10 games in the AHL the following season and scores 12 goals in 65 games while playing minimal pp time.

This season has been a write off for many, but Jesse if one of the ones I have a ton of patience for.

He has shown some promise in small doses despite what appears to be a pretty rough transition.I have complete faith he will be a classic late bloomer.

The way I see it now, he is an acceptable third liner who's development needed a reset, and hopefully got it with the hitch hire.

Now if chia can find us some scoring wingers, and people show some patience with JP, I think we still have a gem. I give it 2 seasons before he's a 20 goal 20-30 assist guy, and he'll keep getting better from there. The trick is going to be not running him out of town for not stepping into the NHL and immediately having success.

Still only 20 too. This season probably should have been his first in the NHL, with a lot of AHL time as well.

Oh well though, he's taking some steps finally IMO. He's not getting an easy ride either even though hitch is talking him up. He very consistently gets <50% offensive zone starts. He's not being hidden from good competition either. This is not like Yak getting zero defensive zone starts because the coaches are scared of what he's gonna do. Pulju is earning some respect with the coaches.

It would be awesome to see Jesse make it, and become a real top6 player.
He's a kid with good attitude, and even when his game is struggling he has time for fans and is still smiling.

Around the draft he was extremely raw and looked like he was struggling with coordination issues, and still hasn't managed to solve that issue during his NHL time. You get that somehow under controll and he could "explode".

Last edited:
Reactions: DerpMorg

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
As negative as I am about him, I sincerely want to see him make it. If it’s a 3rd line role going forward and he turns into a 30 pts a year a player, it’ll be disappointing but there l’s always room for thise types of guys. He seems to give a shit which is more than what half of this team does.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You'll never get a sensible discussion with him (her?).

It'll just resort to attacking posters because you pointed out something he/she doesn't agree with

Surprising how many posters can’t detect obvious sarcasm because they’re too busy wanting to make personal attacks. Frig Frag lighten up a little.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yes. The standards change from top 5, 10, first round, second round. It's called "the draft". It's why NHL teams pay millions of dollars to scouts to make these predictions

It's why draft picks are valuable and GM's can use them as currency

Yep. Now if only we could have predicted which picks to trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: fuswald
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad