Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder if Seattle would pick Jones, Bear, Benson, or Yams over JP if any of those guys were exposed.
We will not be exposing major players to Seattle.

Seattle will play ball with us, or we will trade key exposed players to teams that can protect them and Seattle will get scraps.

It is a great option for us and for them, for them to make a deal to take Puljujarvi, even if we have to sweeten things up for them a bit.

And even if JP is gone by then, we will make a side deal with Seattle. And maybe it will be rough for us, like it was for Florida, Columbus and Anaheim, but just like all those cases, we will NOT give up key players

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

Seattle will play ball with us, or we will trade key exposed players to teams that can protect them and Seattle will get scraps.

It is a great option for us and for them, for them to make a deal to take Puljujarvi, even if we have to sweeten things up for them a bit.

And even if JP is gone by then, we will make a side deal with Seattle. And maybe it will be rough for us, like it was for Florida, Columbus and Anaheim, but just like all those cases, we will NOT give up key players

I proposed it as more of a thought experiment. Would they pick any of Jones, Bear, Benson, or Yamamoto over JP?

As for protecting players... I'm guessing we do a 7/3. [Forward] McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Neal, Kassian, Yamamoto, Benson. [Defense] Nurse, Klefbomb, Bear

Leaves Larsson exposed... but there is no way I protect Larsson over Bear at this point. Also leaves JP, Jones, and Lagesson exposed. I'd really hate to lose Jones.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I proposed it as more of a thought experiment. Would they pick any of Jones, Bear, Benson, or Yamamoto over JP?

As for protecting players... I'm guessing we do a 7/3. [Forward] McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Neal, Kassian, Yamamoto, Benson. [Defense] Nurse, Klefbomb, Bear

Leaves Larsson exposed... but there is no way I protect Larsson over Bear at this point. Also leaves JP, Jones, and Lagesson exposed. I'd really hate to lose Jones.

Unless he is extended, Larsson will be a UFA in the summer of 2021 anyway.

As for Puljujarvi, I am not sure if an expansion team would want to use one of their picks on a player in that situation.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
With the expansion draft wrinkle I guess JP should really be traded for a younger auto-protected player even if we lose value on the deal. I seriously doubt we’d be protecting Neal, probably wind up protecting more D-men at the cost of fringe forwards.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
With the expansion draft wrinkle I guess JP should really be traded for a younger auto-protected player even if we lose value on the deal. I seriously doubt we’d be protecting Neal, probably wind up protecting more D-men at the cost of fringe forwards.

It would be a godsend if the Seattle Fishhooks claimed Neal.

The Oilers only have 3 forwards worth protecting at this point and RNH will be a pending UFA.

Reactions: Aerchon

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
We have too many exposed D for Seattle. We should be resigning Larsson too unless Lagesson or Jones leapfrogs him but then we have an exposure problem.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Iconic that these two tweets are together on my feed this morning:

I know comparing McDavid to JP is silly but am I the only one that’s thoroughly unimpressed by JP’s stats? To me he doesn’t scream “potential NHL top 6 forward” more like “career minor leaguer”. Almost like another Anton Lander.

Reactions: ZenOil

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
We have too many exposed D for Seattle. We should be resigning Larsson too unless Lagesson or Jones leapfrogs him but then we have an exposure problem.

Run this in 2020/21:
Nurse/Bear
Klefbomb/Larsson
Jones/Persson
Lagesson
  • Trade Benning at the 2020 deadline.
  • Offload Kris Russell during the 2020 off-season.
  • Trade Larsson at the 2021 deadline, which leaves Persson and Bouchard to compete for that 2RD.
Handling Larsson
Trade Larsson at the 2021 deadline.
  • Gives Bouchard that much more seasoning before you call him up to compete with Persson for that 2RD job (who has experience and previous success with Klefbomb).
  • Larsson's price will never be higher than at the trade deadline. Let's get either futures in return or a player that can bolster the strength of our top 6.

Handling of Bouchard
I'm all for Bouchard starting the year with the Oilers if he's earned it, but I'm not for giving a spot to him if he marginally out-performs Persson/Larsson in camp. We finally have the depth to allow players to develop, let's take advantage of that. I guess I prefer to see Bouchard continue to polish his game defensively, so when he comes up he's looking like a bonafide 2-way top 4 D.

tl;dr
Replacing Larsson with Bouchard greatly improves the puck-moving on our blue line as a whole. Simultaneously getting a forward who can bolster the strength of our top-6 in return for Larsson takes us to another level.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I know comparing McDavid to JP is silly but am I the only one that’s thoroughly unimpressed by JP’s stats? To me he doesn’t scream “potential NHL top 6 forward” more like “career minor leaguer”. Almost like another Anton Lander.

Seems like Jesse has tailed off a bit. Without seeing him play this season I can't really say. That said if he could be dealt for a proven player with some term I'd do it.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere

Actually having 23 points in 20 games in Finnish league isn't bad. The goals/assists are usually much more evenly distributed within team than in NHL. Last season (2018-2019) only the stats leader was over PPG, similarly to 2017-2018 season. The pace JP is now having would usually result in clear win for the points statistics.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Actually having 23 points in 20 games in Finnish league isn't bad. The goals/assists are usually much more evenly distributed within team than in NHL. Last season (2018-2019) only the stats leader was over PPG, similarly to 2017-2018 season. The pace JP is now having would usually result in clear win for the points statistics.
It's very difficult to compare stats between leagues like that. We've seen that with players that played in Europe during lockouts for instance. Don't know enough to speak for the Finnish league though.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
It's very difficult to compare stats between leagues like that. We've seen that with players that played in Europe during lockouts for instance. Don't know enough to speak for the Finnish league though.

There was Interesting article in Jatkoaika about Kärpät and how many players have failed after shining in Liiga with Kärpät.
Kärpät is op team on paper and it also has darn good coaching.

Many players seem to fail after they lose that superb team play.

Jesse is also benefitying a lot from Mika Pyörälä, one of the best all around players in Liiga.

But yes. Numbets look good, but if you see the kid.
Well he has all those same problems.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver

Totally. Dude showed he doesn't have the toolbox to put up points in the NHL. Games to fast for his brain to process. Kinda doubt he's going to magically grow a new brain.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’m hoping Holland can pull off a trade at the draft or next summer. Beyond that I’ve forgotten about JP.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Just to give an idea: the league records from the past 20 years are around 78 points in 55 games, by Janne Pesonen and Ville Leino (yep, same guy). And the all-time #27 highest score was 69 points in 55 games by Jori Lehterä, which should give some reference.

All the other point records are 25-35 years old, which aren't doable in the modern league. Eg. 93 points in 44 games by Kari Jalonen in 1986-87, and 87 points in 35 (!) games by Matti Hagman, which will probably never be broken.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

So...let's blow up our team so Seattle gets nothing. Great idea, that will teach them!

No sir, I think Seattle, like Vegas before them, is in the drivers seat here. They may not have all the perks Vegas had, but make no mistake, they are going to get some good players too, as well as some decent draft picks. They have nothing to lose, as they are starting from zero.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So...let's blow up our team so Seattle gets nothing. Great idea, that will teach them!

No sir, I think Seattle, like Vegas before them, is in the drivers seat here. They may not have all the perks Vegas had, but make no mistake, they are going to get some good players too, as well as some decent draft picks. They have nothing to lose, as they are starting from zero.
You didn’t pay much attention to the last draft eh?

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
First of all I apologize for a bad entry a while ago, I'll be more careful with my words from now on.

I just wanted to pop in and tell that the article in Jatkoaika (referred above) really was the worst ever. It's an online webpage in which reporters aren't paid anything and basically anyone can become one. This article was written by someone who supports the close rival of the team Puljujärvi plays at.

The article was based on the hypothesis that the players would do well in Kärpät but not elsewhere. A nice theory, but the problem is almost all of the names provided (apart from Puljujärvi and Lammikko) were doing well before and after their time in Kärpät. The article also failed to mention the players who didn't succeed in Kärpät but did so when they changed the team.

Feel as you like about Puljujärvi and his career in Finland, under the circumstances I understand any reaction, but an amateur article from either side of the extremities should be taken as such.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
On the topic of AA.

Hes a -25 in 24 games this year. That's impressive.
On pace for worst +- ever!
If healthy and he stays on pace he'll beat Bill Mikkelson's -82 from 74/75 :laugh:

Edit: On a Washington team that got a total of 8 wins over a full season and 446 goals against... Holy crap that must be a shitty season for the history books.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad