Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Yeah, after watching his play in EHT, he hasn't changed at all from last season. And this was on big ice. I don't think he will make it in the NHL unless something drastic happens. Like a full-time personal coach to grind out the rough edges and tac in some new edges to fill the gaping holes :D

His absolute ceiling seems to be in setting up good passes when he has plenty of room to move in. But remove space from him, and he does nothing, including in the team's D-zone. So kind of like the middle man between world-class D-men and world-class forwards. But with his progress, he will never get to play with them in NHL. So, he will forever be a 2nd liner in a baaaad team, or 3rd liner in most NHL teams. But those guys are not a match to his upsides, so: no NHL for him.

I'm sure he will get a respectable career in Switzerland/Germany though, and earn a good living.

Reactions: Biltmore

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
He is not NHL ready at all and it would take huge loads of work to get him NHL ready.

This kid is bust. Sad to see it, but he will probably be playing in Liiga or Jokerit most of his career

Reactions: gordonhught

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
He's not coming back to NHL this year even if a trade is made

happy to leave him there until he is free agent his value otonsbky not getting better then what it is right now so no loss if he says two or even three years there

he is doing this to himself and is proving all those who said he is not smart very right he is lighting his NHL career on fire this point

Reactions: frag2

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah, after watching his play in EHT, he hasn't changed at all from last season. And this was on big ice. I don't think he will make it in the NHL unless something drastic happens. Like a full-time personal coach to grind out the rough edges and tac in some new edges to fill the gaping holes :D

His absolute ceiling seems to be in setting up good passes when he has plenty of room to move in. But remove space from him, and he does nothing, including in the team's D-zone. So kind of like the middle man between world-class D-men and world-class forwards. But with his progress, he will never get to play with them in NHL. So, he will forever be a 2nd liner in a baaaad team, or 3rd liner in most NHL teams. But those guys are not a match to his upsides, so: no NHL for him.

I'm sure he will get a respectable career in Switzerland/Germany though, and earn a good living.

He's still a young stubborn kid.

To write him off now seems premature.

Reactions: Throttlehead

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Good....

hopefully he increases his value, might help get a deal done at the draft.

I agree. He needed a full year in the AHL anyway so this is the next best thing. He needs a year to regain his confidence and feel good about his game.

Holland will get a deal done at the draft or next summer or perhaps even Jesse’s tongue will have picked enough snot from his nose to allow air flow to the brain and decide Edmonton is the best opportunity.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

To take a positive spin on this... I'm sure there will be a hungry team at the draft who would be willing to take a risk on JP after a disappointing season.

If A. Nylander can get you Jokiharju surely JP can get us something decent.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Who cares honestly. Guy would be useless here. Especially under DT. Hopefully he raises his value and we get something done in the off season.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Who cares honestly. Guy would be useless here. Especially under DT. Hopefully he raises his value and we get something done in the off season.
I think that's the issue. Everyone wants JP in another team (including himself), but the only guy that has actual power over that thinks the opposite.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I was happy when he fell to us and seemly had some progress in his first year. Yeah he had some weaknesses in his game but it seems like his biggest problem is between his ears. Either he isn't getting good advice or he just says what he wants it just feels like he doesn't get it. No reason to say things publicly. Just hurts him and the team.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think that's the issue. Everyone wants JP in another team (including himself), but the only guy that has actual power over that thinks the opposite.
Maybe the oilers should trade JP for a 7th round pick because JP cried/demanded it and “everyone else” wants it.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If he’s serious about staying in Finland the whole year that all but guarantees he won’t be traded by Dec 1.

I don’t even know what this guy is doing anymore, you’d think by now he’d be more careful about the words coming out of his mouth. He’s effectively reset the clock on a trade until next off season where the whole dance will start all over again.

Reactions: YakDavid

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

It’s not like Jesse is doing Holland any favours by being difficult.

Holland has a job to do and that job isn’t to cater to individual players wants. If Jesse wants out so bad it’s as simple as having his agent go out there and convince a GM to give up decent value for him.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
It’s not like Jesse is doing Holland any favours by being difficult.

Holland has a job to do and that job isn’t to cater to individual players wants. If Jesse wants out so bad it’s as simple as having his agent go out there and convince a GM to give up decent value for him.

I do not think it is that difficult for Holland, he has no need to rush a trade with the guy, the better the guy does in Finland the better his trade value will be and as long as the Oilers play this well there is no panic.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If he’s serious about staying in Finland the whole year that all but guarantees he won’t be traded by Dec 1.

I don’t even know what this guy is doing anymore, you’d think by now he’d be more careful about the words coming out of his mouth. He’s effectively reset the clock on a trade until next off season where the whole dance will start all over again.

Lawton said 2 weeks ago - just because JP will never play for the Oilers again doesn't mean Holland will trade him. I think the team has already accepted the idea of letting him rot in the Euro leagues until something knocks their socks off.

Reactions: Rodd from Leduc

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Definitely no need to do a trade just to get rid of him. Let him play over there until a decent trade comes along. Any decent value we get back will be a bonus as I think the team and many fans have already written him off.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Is he eligible to be picked by Seattle in the expansion draft? Or does that only include players with an active contract?

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018

No, that is NOT what the article is saying

He is not saying:
"I'm playing the whole year in Finland"

He is saying:
"I'm focused on playing the whole year in Finland"

What he is trying to say is that he is not some SOB trying to leave his current team immediatelly when an opportunity comes.

This is just him trying to act like a good team-mate.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Lawton said 2 weeks ago - just because JP will never play for the Oilers again doesn't mean Holland will trade him. I think the team has already accepted the idea of letting him rot in the Euro leagues until something knocks their socks off.

Id rather keep him in Europe and hope that Seattle claims him if there is no good offers for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad