Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Gregor talked about it numerous times going into training camp and pre-season. All he changed was the lie of the stick.

I know he changed his stick. I never once saw anything that the Oiler told him to make his stick shorter.

McLellan couldn’t even talk to him after benching him for two weeks straight. I doubt he actually ever had a convo with Jesse. And I’ve never seen anything that says the Oilers told him to shorten his stick.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know he changed his stick. I never once saw anything that the Oiler told him to make his stick shorter.

McLellan couldn’t even talk to him after benching him for two weeks straight. I doubt he actually ever had a convo with Jesse. And I’ve never seen anything that says the Oilers told him to shorten his stick.
Not sure what to tell you. I posted the links in these threads as Gregor had it on his blog and when he talked about it on his show

Reactions: CycloneSweep

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Not sure what to tell you. I posted the links in these threads as Gregor had it on his blog and when he talked about it on his show

I couldn't find that, but what I found is Gregor has said Puljujarvi did shorten his stick:

Jason Gregor's Tweet - "Puljujarvi has shortened his stick and changed the flex in his twig (less whip). I'm curious to see how that helps his game. He fired high often last year or just missed wide right. The change in flex was done to hopefully decrease missed shots. #Oilers" on Trendsmap

More about the shorter stick here:

Oilers Preseason: Puljujarvi Pops

But I have no idea if he actually did shorten his stick and if the Oilers said this or that, but it's almost funny how easily forum truths are created. Especially the one about the AHL on the previous page.

However, I read that Kärpät had the right to call Pulju to the FEL during the first year (that's in the basic contract for his age or high draft position, can't remember which one) if he's sent to the AHL and that may have affected the Oilers' decisions about him at the time.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I couldn't find that, but what I found is Gregor has said Puljujarvi did shorten his stick:

Puljujarvi has shortened his stick and changed the flex in his twig (less whip). I'm curious to see how that helps his game. He fired high often last year or just missed wide right. The change in flex was done to hopefully decrease missed shots.

Jason Gregor's Tweet - "Puljujarvi has shortened his stick and changed the flex in his twig (less whip). I'm curious to see how that helps his game. He fired high often last year or just missed wide right. The change in flex was done to hopefully decrease missed shots. #Oilers" on Trendsmap

More about the shorter stick here:

Oilers Preseason: Puljujarvi Pops

But I have no idea if he actually did shorten his stick and if the Oilers said this or that, but it's almost funny how easily forum truths are created. Especially the one about the AHL on the previous page.

However, I read that Kärpät had the right to call Pulju to the FEL during the first year (that's in the basic contract for his age or high draft position, can't remember which one) if he's sent to the AHL and that may have affected the Oilers' decisions about him at the time.
A few days after that Gregor corrected himself saying he didn't change the length, just the lie made it look shorter

I have no idea which blog it was in because gregor sometimes throws tidbits into his gameday blogs, which makes it a nightmare to find.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Done talking about how he was ruined or where he was drafted or any of that shit. We can't do anything about it, the new GM can't change that either. They can only deal with what they have.

What we have is a 20 year old right shot right winger who is tall, lanky, not very physical. He is a good skater with am above average shot that is very inaccurate. He is a below average passer, weak on the boards but decent positionally defensively. His offensive positioning is bad and his hockey IQ seems sub par.

From what we have right now he projects to being an average third liner in the realm of a Ryan Strome with better skating

Reactions: Aerrol

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
A few days after that Gregor corrected himself saying he didn't change the length, just the lie made it look shorter

I have no idea which blog it was in because gregor sometimes throws tidbits into his gameday blogs, which makes it a nightmare to find.

Okay. To be honest this is not important to me, I just think some vague rumours (or often just speculations) should be taken as they are without seeing some clear evidence. This in general, not just about Puljujarvi.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
  • It looks like Jesse Puljujarvi shortened his stick. I didn’t get a chance to talk to him after the informal skate, but while I watched them skate it clearly looked an inch shorter. I know for a fact the Oilers had encouraged him to shorten it, as well as reduce the whip in his stick. It was discussed at his exit interview. He had an entire summer to adjust to the different stick. I didn’t see him take any one-timers, or partial ones during the skate, so I can’t say with certainty if he changed the flex, but his stick does look a bit shorter. Little tweaks can do wonders for players, and a new stick combined with more strength, confidence and experience could jumpstart Puljujarvi’s offensive numbers.
Jason Gregor

So here's where Gregor talked about the initial change and that it was talked about in the exit interviw. Still looking for the one where it's a different lie and not shorter.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Fair enough. Was just looking for a link saying that the Oilers actually told him to shorten it. The only things I remember hearing coming into camp was that they were very happy with how he had adjusted his training to be more useful in the NHL and that he had modified his stick.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Fair enough. Was just looking for a link saying that the Oilers actually told him to shorten it. The only things I remember hearing coming into camp was that they were very happy with how he had adjusted his training to be more useful in the NHL and that he had modified his stick.
I found that one for you. Just looking for the other one now. Found something about it's a thicker blade and less whip.

Man did Gregor talk about that stick lots in blogs.

As small as a stick change might be. Nurse credits Oates with helping him understand why he needed to change his stick and how because of that change he's half a second quicker when pucks are being fired into the zone.

Please don't ask me to find that blog, as that's two years ago I believe :laugh:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You should see how I spelled dysfunctional in the Esks thread. Really gave myself a headshake.

Yeah...I hear you.
I have typed out a couple of posts today and when I read them over I was like WTF? :laugh:

I struggle with not correcting them....it really bugs me to leave a butchered word as is. :nod:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A lot of bad players to medicore at 4th overall in recent years.

Puljujarvi, Bennett, Reinhart since 2012

Not really valid comps IMO.
Puljujarvi is at a different level of bad compared to Bennett and Reinhart. They are at least NHL players. Jesse isnt.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Not really valid comps IMO.
Puljujarvi is at a different level of bad compared to Bennett and Reinhart. They are at least NHL players. Jesse isnt.

Griffin Reinhart isnt playing in the NHL. Mitch Marner however was a steal.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Didn’t help that for two and a half years he had a coach that didn’t believe in communicating with players unless you were one of his favorites.
Is there anything straw you will not attempt to grasp in defending this dog?. Or continually say "link" when questioning something? Like, do your own research. Which you don't/wont cause the answers do not fit the narrative.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I found that one for you. Just looking for the other one now. Found something about it's a thicker blade and less whip.

Man did Gregor talk about that stick lots in blogs.

As small as a stick change might be. Nurse credits Oates with helping him understand why he needed to change his stick and how because of that change he's half a second quicker when pucks are being fired into the zone.

Please don't ask me to find that blog, as that's two years ago I believe :laugh:

Haha all good man thanks for the digging you did do and posting what you found. Appreciate it.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
A little food for thought. Jesse has played 137 games so far in the NHL and has accumulated 37 points. I'll be the first to admit these are not great numbers, especially for someone drafted so high. In his first 136 games in the NHL, former first overall pick and future hall of Famer, Joe Thornton scored just 48 points.

Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means comparing Jesse to Joe, but for all those so willing to write him off and kick him out the door, this is proof that some players take longer to develop. Give the kid a chance. He's a 20 year old kid in a strange country and can barely speak a word of English. It would be idiotic to give up on him this early in his career. He's shown glimpses of a real good player at times and might just be exactly what this team is lacking in a year or two.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A little food for thought. Jesse has played 137 games so far in the NHL and has accumulated 37 points. I'll be the first to admit these are not great numbers, especially for someone drafted so high. In his first 136 games in the NHL, former first overall pick and future hall of Famer, Joe Thornton scored just 48 points.

Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means comparing Jesse to Joe, but for all those so willing to write him off and kick him out the door, this is proof that some players take longer to develop. Give the kid a chance. He's a 20 year old kid in a strange country and can barely speak a word of English. It would be idiotic to give up on him this early in his career. He's shown glimpses of a real good player at times and might just be exactly what this team is lacking in a year or two.

Difference of course being that Jesse's first 137 games has spanned 3 seasons where as Thornton's first 136 games was his first 2 seasons.

And that Thornton's first season he only had 7 points. He put up 40 in his 2nd year. And was up to 60 in his 3rd leading his team in scoring by a sizeable amount.

Joe Thornton is a terrible example to support that Puljujarvi is going to figure it out. He progressed every single year for 6 seasons turning into one of the best players in the league.

Puljujarvi is as bad now as he was on day one. Three years now into his career.

He's a bust.

Reactions: Jtown and frag2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->