Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Same can be said about Hughes and Kakko. Those two are quickly turning into hot garbage. Those teams rushed them in faster than we rushed Yakupov.
Funny. 20 games into their NHL career.
A savant you are not.
Pretty clear how much one should put into the opinion of the poster.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Funny. 20 games into their NHL career.
A savant you are not.
Pretty clear how much one should put into the opinion of the poster.
If we go by the first 20 games of Yakupov and JP, i think you know Yakupov and JP were the better players in the small sample size. Let's wait 2-3yrs and if Kakko and Hughes are still struggling, is it safe to call them busts? I would have to say yes because that was the same amount of slack we gave JP.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
If we go by the first 20 games of Yakupov and JP, i think you know Yakupov and JP were the better players in the small sample size. Let's wait 2-3yrs and if Kakko and Hughes are still struggling, is it safe to call them busts? I would have to say yes because that was the same amount of slack we gave JP.

Hughes has been the best player on his team from game 4 on and at no point ever did J.P or Yak look as good as he does right now.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yakupov was perceived the best in a weak draft. In hindsight, the common thinking was take BPA and if you have too many wingers (they already had MPS, Hall, and Eberle) , you can trade one for a centre or a D. This was the wrong thinking.

Ryan Murray should have been the pick, but apparently the scouts got overruled. Murray would have been fine.

Galchenyuk was injured all season so there was no way the Oilers were going to pick him first.
Same with Morgan Rielly.

Hampus Lindholm came out of nowhere to be picked 6.

It was a weak draft year. If Yakupov would have stayed in junior the year after he was drafted, it would not have made a difference.

Should have traded the pick or picked Murray.
The concerns about Murray were that he was going to be a pretty average defenseman for the top part of the first and that he would be a safe but mediocre choice. This has turned out to be pretty accurate . Yakupov was a dynamic forward. He had a fantastic year in 2010-2011 with 49 goals. That is one of the highest goal totals for a 17 year old in OHL history. Yakupov would have been the pick of virtually every team in the NHL. The Oilers scouts wanted Murray but I honestly think that a lot of that was becasue the Oilers were desperate for a defenseman.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Was it truly a toxic environment though? I don’t see any of the other players refusing to play for the Oilers/asking for trades. They wanted to be part of the solution instead of bailing to a lesser league

I imagine there are enough threads on this board showing the examples of the Oilers being a total gone show at the end of the Chia tenure.

Truth be told, even if the competition is lower, the guy is better off in Finland for the year imo. He has a ton of natural talent, but even from the start it was clear that his skills were raw and more importantly he needed to mature (shocking news about a teenager).

The Oilers counted on him being able to do that by himself (which is fair, he is an adult), but clearly that didn't work. He failed to pick up the language, and the coaches and others accused him of playing dumb when it came to learning drills. Not a good look for a guy who wasn't good enough for the NHL, but was on the team anyway; It wouldn't surprise me if that's where some of the noted friction/frustration between him and the other players came from.

The team also failed to hedge their bets by not bringing in a proper mentor. Annoyingly, they had Korpikoski when they drafted Jesse, who is (surprisingly) highly regarded in Finland, but bought him out less than a week later.

If being at home for the year helps force him to mature, then that's where he needs to be. It also wouldn't surprise me if he learns more by being a "big fish in a little pond" vs. participating in practices he only half understands, even if the skill level is higher.

If Kassian can play for the Oilers after smashing Gagner's jaw, or Comrie can do a second stint after his feud with Lowe, then there's no good reason why Pulju can't play for Edmonton again. Time heals bitterness.

Reactions: nabob and harpoon

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
I imagine there are enough threads on this board showing the examples of the Oilers being a total gone show at the end of the Chia tenure.

Truth be told, even if the competition is lower, the guy is better off in Finland for the year imo. He has a ton of natural talent, but even from the start it was clear that his skills were raw and more importantly he needed to mature (shocking news about a teenager).

The Oilers counted on him being able to do that by himself (which is fair, he is an adult), but clearly that didn't work. He failed to pick up the language, and the coaches and others accused him of playing dumb when it came to learning drills. Not a good look for a guy who wasn't good enough for the NHL, but was on the team anyway; It wouldn't surprise me if that's where some of the noted friction/frustration between him and the other players came from.

The team also failed to hedge their bets by not bringing in a proper mentor. Annoyingly, they had Korpikoski when they drafted Jesse, who is (surprisingly) highly regarded in Finland, but bought him out less than a week later.

If being at home for the year helps force him to mature, then that's where he needs to be. It also wouldn't surprise me if he learns more by being a "big fish in a little pond" vs. participating in practices he only half understands, even if the skill level is higher.

If Kassian can play for the Oilers after smashing Gagner's jaw, or Comrie can do a second stint after his feud with Lowe, then there's no good reason why Pulju can't play for Edmonton again. Time heals bitterness.

Or Manning breaking McDavid's shoulder having no regrets about it

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Imagine if the penguins kept naslund. Crosby might have won a few more cups. Crosby, Malkin and Naslund on the pp. That would be something special. Sedins may not have become what they were without Naslund.

Crosby was drafted nine years after Naslund was traded, and he retired four years after. Also Malkin came over in Crosby's second season, and there was also time needed for Fleury, Letang, and J. Staal to become experinced to add to Crosby and Malkin that Naslund would have been almost retired by the time the team became what it was in the late 2000's. In that span Crosby could have won a few cups, but that would have been quite the dynasty to win the cup 3 out of four years.

Then there's also with Naslund on the team the Pens could have had a different record and not won the Crosby lottery to begin with...

Last edited:

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
And more Puljujärvi today.

Acceleration is still bad.
Still uses those wide turns. Hughes learned not to.
Seems to wait something to happen if not with puck.
To soft.
Shooting takes to mutch time and shots are inaccurate.

Top speed is good.
Shoots alot.
Good passes.

His trade value is low. I really thought he was better yt Lammikko is closer to NHL.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Yikes, Puljujärvi wasn't ready for even EHT-level hockey.

To soft.

Top speed is good.
Shoots alot.
Good passes.

His trade value is low. I really thought he was better yt Lammikko is closer to NHL.
Bad game today?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

To soft.

Top speed is good.
Shoots alot.
Good passes.

Seems to be a consistent issue with the guy.

Reactions: tellermine

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
I watched the EHT-games and Puljujärvi is the same.
I cant see any situation where he will be NHL ready. Lets hope I am wrong.
Juuso Lammikko seems ready but he is a 3-4liner.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He didn't dominate but overall he can easily play in these games.
(didn't watch today game)
He can "easily play" if "playing" is the same as being very ineffective in spite of getting a great deal of opportunity and responsibility. In the same way that every other upper tier Liiga player can.

As has been the case since the beginning of time, Puljujärvi's constantly surfing outside the play and is terrible without the puck. This was the case even in Liiga, actually, but he was able to make up for that with "brute force". However, against more talented opposition - even if it's only EHT-level - he again became ineffective.

Indeed, this guy has zero NHL potential and it's important to trade him as soon as possible.

Last edited:

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Crosby was drafted nine years after Naslund was traded, and he retired four years after. Also Malkin came over in Crosby's second season, and there was also time needed for Fleury, Letang, and J. Staal to become experinced to add to Crosby and Malkin that Naslund would have been almost retired by the time the team became what it was in the late 2000's. In that span Crosby could have won a few cups, but that would have been quite the dynasty to win the cup 3 out of four years.

Then there's also with Naslund on the team the Pens could have had a different record and not won the Crosby lottery to begin with...
That is true. But then again would Naslund be as good if he stuck with the penguins? Naslund was doing a lot up until 2011. In 2006, i believe he was still lighting it up but after the bertuzzi incident it seemed like his career quickly went downhill.

To me trading jp would be similar to dumping naslund. If JP got reunited with Aho, he might get going on the scoresheet.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Hughes has been the best player on his team from game 4 on and at no point ever did J.P or Yak look as good as he does right now.
Hughes has been the best? More like media hype. Have you actually watched the devils play a game? I can slap together 5 minutes of highlights of JP's first 20 games and he would look all world.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Hughes has been the best? More like media hype. Have you actually watched the devils play a game? I can slap together 5 minutes of highlights of JP's first 20 games and he would look all world.

I have watched about 10 Devils games. He has been great after the first 4 games of the season and all of the stats both regular and advanced back that up as well as the eye test. You've no idea what youre talking about period.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He can "easily play" if "playing" is the same as being very ineffective in spite of getting a great deal of opportunity and responsibility. In the same way that every other upper tier Liiga player can.

As has been the case since the beginning of time, Puljujärvi's constantly surfing outside the play and is terrible without the puck. This was the case even in Liiga, actually, but he was able to make up for that with "brute force". However, against more talented opposition - even if it's only EHT-level - he again became ineffective.

Indeed, this guy has zero NHL potential and it's important to trade him as soon as possible.

Did he get dominated or was he a completely liability out there?
No.

But for sure I agree it's tough to see him as an NHL player right now, he's a larger rink player, he can hide his issues better there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad