Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Jokinen-RNH-Puljujarvi would be a good 3rd line IMO (assuming Drai is playing 2nd line center)

That's how I would have it as well. That line will be a match up nightmare for a lot of opposing teams. Can't think of too many teams with that skilled of a 3rd line.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Nuge is a border line black hole for his wingers. Terrible playmaker at this stage.

Jokinen can make up for that. He was a great signing from the Oilers, even without the Jesse effect. The guy is simply a jack of all trades type of player who can play anywhere in the lineup, take any role (sans fighting, of course) and not look out of place doing it. Best thing is that his IQ is so high that he accomodates his playing style to his linemates by himself. Barkov gave high praise for him for that.

JJ/JP will be a great combo no matter who their C is.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
McDavid of course.

Puljujarvi could also produce with Drai. Puljujarvi not producing with Nuge wouldn't be on Puljujarvi.

Jokinen - McDavid/Drai - Puljujarvi is what the Oilers should run with. Personally I like McDavid centring the two. That's really because Lucic had no chemistry with McDavid and I think using Lucic on the third line would be a waste.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Nuge is a border line black hole for his wingers. Terrible playmaker at this stage.

I think he needs to get back to his "offensive" days...right now he's so focused on his safe two-way game, he never tries to make a play in the offensive zone

maybe putting him with Jokinen, another great 2-way vet..will allow Nuge to take more chances

I think he could create some good offense with Jesse

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Uh... what?

39th among centres for assists over the last 5 years, sandwiched between Jeff Carter and Logan Couture, more than Marleau, MacKinnon, Turris, Galchenyuk, and Tyler Johnson.

I know hating on RNH is in vogue but let's not invent ********. Black hole my ass.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Uh... what?

39th among centres for assists over the last 5 years, sandwiched between Jeff Carter and Logan Couture, more than Marleau, MacKinnon, Turris, Galchenyuk, and Tyler Johnson.

I know hating on RNH is in vogue but let's not invent ********. Black hole my ass.

Last 5 years... that's a cute way to spin things.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Uh... what?

Where does he rate among wingers? Those players you listed played just as much wing as C

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

114th amongst all forwards last year. That's second line assist production. In a year that everyone would agree was a terrible year for him, getting 2nd line power play time.

This is going to be a long year for those of us that aren't bound and determined to trade RNH, isn't it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Most people don't look at players only through the lens that fits their narrative - IE 'rabble rabble RNH sucks, is soft, etc'. If you were the type of GM that only judges a player on what they've done for you lately you'd get taken to the cleaners with alarming frequency.

Five years is a reasonable sample size. If it makes you feel better five years also eliminates his best season. Like Danger said, he was a 2nd line player with 2nd line production with 2nd line linemates and 2nd line powerplay time.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Seriously...the only spin on here is the narrative that RNH is an offensive black hole.

Please do try to support that silly perspective with facts.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Most people don't look at players only through the lens that fits their narrative - IE 'rabble rabble RNH sucks, is soft, etc'. If you were the type of GM that only judges a player on what they've done for you lately you'd get taken to the cleaners with alarming frequency.

Five years is a reasonable sample size. If it makes you feel better five years also eliminates his best season. Like Danger said, he was a 2nd line player with 2nd line production with 2nd line linemates and 2nd line powerplay time.

Five years is in no way a meaningful sample size. Years 1-3 of that sample size saw RNH getting every single possible offensive opportunity playing with the teams best offensive players.

Last 2 years where he's been relegated to 2nd line duty is much more indicative of the type of player he is today, and the type of production we can expect out of him. Those two years among centers he's 66th in assists and 72nd in points. Limit it to just this year and he's 61st in assists and 63rd in points. That is 3rd line production coming from a player getting 2nd line offensive minutes combined with getting buried defensively. Even acknowledging that there are probably a handful of players on the NHL stats page listed as a C who played some (or all) at wing, he's still at best one of the worst 2nd line centers in the league.

Black hole? In a vacuum compared to the entire league. No. But considering his position and usage. Absolutely.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Five years is in no way a meaningful sample size. Years 1-3 of that sample size saw RNH getting every single possible offensive opportunity playing with the teams best offensive players.

Last 2 years where he's been relegated to 2nd line duty is much more indicative of the type of player he is today, and the type of production we can expect out of him. Those two years among centers he's 66th in assists and 72nd in points. Limit it to just this year and he's 61st in assists and 63rd in points. That is 3rd line production coming from a player getting 2nd line offensive minutes combined with getting buried defensively. Even acknowledging that there are probably a handful of players on the NHL stats page listed as a C who played some (or all) at wing, he's still at best one of the worst 2nd line centers in the league.

Black hole? In a vacuum compared to the entire league. No. But considering his position and usage. Absolutely.

But then you're just ignoring the fact that he missed a large chunk of 2015/2016 with a broken hand. If you go P/GP he's 77th amongst centers over the last two years, a middle of the pack 2nd line center.

I agree that he should be better. And it's possible, maybe even likely, that we can get better value out of 6 million if he doesn't have a better 2017/2018. But as it stands, if we trade him now we're likely downgrading one of our few remotely talented players in the top-9.

As for the topic, to be fair I don't think he's necessarily the best fit with Puljujarvi. There's just something about their games that don't seem like they would mesh well.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
But then you're just ignoring the fact that he missed a large chunk of 2015/2016 with a broken hand. If you go P/GP he's 77th amongst centers over the last two years, a middle of the pack 2nd line center.

I agree that he should be better. And it's possible, maybe even likely, that we can get better value out of 6 million if he doesn't have a better 2017/2018. But as it stands, if we trade him now we're likely downgrading one of our few remotely talented players in the top-9.

As for the topic, to be fair I don't think he's necessarily the best fit with Puljujarvi. There's just something about their games that don't seem like they would mesh well.

Your ppg argument actually makes him look worse than the numbers I posted. And 77th is not middle of the pack 2nd line production for centers. It's middle of the pack for 3rd line centers. ~45th would be middle of the pack 2nd line production.

1-30 1st line
31-60 2nd line
61-90 3rd line

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think the criticism of Nuge is a tad harsh, and I fully admit he had me pissed off a number of times last year with his "accomplish nothing" type performances. But this is a guy who was handcuffed to Jordan Eberle for the majority of his shifts. How many times did Nuge have to sacrifice O for D to cover Ebs' lazy ass?

Let's see Nuge away from Ebs before we close the book on him.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Uh... what?

His assists per game have declined every single year he's been in the NHL his entire career. He's not going to get 1st unit pp time again this year so what's going to change?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Eberle was better on the Oilers than RNH... RNH was underwater both offensively and defensively.. Eberle at least was a little better offensively and he didn't totally crap the bed defensively like RNH did either.

Strome is a better, cheaper RNH. Problem solved for a cheap(ish) #3 C.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think the criticism of Nuge is a tad harsh, and I fully admit he had me pissed off a number of times last year with his "accomplish nothing" type performances. But this is a guy who was handcuffed to Jordan Eberle for the majority of his shifts. How many times did Nuge have to sacrifice O for D to cover Ebs' lazy ass?

Let's see Nuge away from Ebs before we close the book on him.

Eberle is now and always has been a better player than RNH. Last year included. You have it backwards.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Your ppg argument actually makes him look worse than the numbers I posted. And 77th is not middle of the pack 2nd line production for centers. It's middle of the pack for 3rd line centers. ~45th would be middle of the pack 2nd line production.

1-30 1st line
31-60 2nd line
61-90 3rd line

Ah yes. My mistake. Quite the brainfart there.

Well, 3rd line production is certainly not acceptable for 6 million. I think this year will be make or break for him. I'm hoping he proves some people wrong throughout the season and makes a case to stay, but if he puts up 40 - 45 points again with merely ok possession numbers, I can definitely understand the need to move him along.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
For what RNH is getting paid we should be expecting his point range to fall with the 20-30 range for centers. Bottom 3rd 1st line production. If RNH was only getting paid 4.5 million and wasn't a 1st OA pick we'd all be raving about his play.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
For what RNH is getting paid we should be expecting his point range to fall with the 20-30 range for centers. Bottom 3rd 1st line production. If RNH was only getting paid 4.5 million and wasn't a 1st OA pick we'd all be raving about his play.

But he is a 1st overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->