Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I would start the season with Jokinen on his line with him and if he starts getting more confident start playing him with Nuge, Drai or Connor as his center.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Take this for what its worth. Keep hearing JP had a rough NA season and I couldnt disagree more. Sure it wasnt as good as Laines or even Tkachuks but in his rookie 18 year old season in the AL he did pretty damn good

DH2CKVjUAAA3OJh.jpg:large

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Take this for what its worth. Keep hearing JP had a rough NA season and I couldnt disagree more. Sure it wasnt as good as Laines or even Tkachuks but in his rookie 18 year old season in the AL he did pretty damn good

I honestly think his name being so close to Paajarvi has people concerned :laugh:

Let's not forget how out of place Draisaitl looked in his rookie NHL year. Pulju actually had a solid season for an 18 year old in the AHL. He has all the tools to be a finisher for McDavid or Drai!

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I honestly think his name being so close to Paajarvi has people concerned :laugh:

Let's not forget how out of place Draisaitl looked in his rookie NHL year. Pulju actually had a solid season for an 18 year old in the AHL. He has all the tools to be a finisher for McDavid or Drai!

I completely agree, and similar enough styles.

But interestingly enough for the comparison to Draisaitl (whom I thought was overwhelmed at the end but held up well to start). Is that JP, like LD had solid underlying shot metrics in their rookie season. Cant say that JP will forsure turn out like LD but just interesting that even when they appeared overwhelmed as rookies their shot metrics still held up as solid

Hopefully next year JP takes a same jump that Leon did. That 2RW or even 1RW is wide open for the taking

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I completely agree, and similar enough styles.

But interestingly enough for the comparison to Draisaitl (whom I thought was overwhelmed at the end but held up well to start). Is that JP, like LD had solid underlying shot metrics in their rookie season. Cant say that JP will forsure turn out like LD but just interesting that even when they appeared overwhelmed as rookies their shot metrics still held up as solid

Hopefully next year JP takes a same jump that Leon did. That 2RW or even 1RW is wide open for the taking

If JP could put up 51 points like Leon did in his first full season I would be pretty darn happy. Something like 28g - 23a

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

For sure. On easthockey side manager, hes won a conn smythe and a art ross for me before, so he has to be pretty good.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If JP could put up 51 points like Leon did in his first full season I would be pretty darn happy. Something like 28g - 23a

Very doable. Especially considering he will play with one of the games best playmakers, regardless of who it is.

I see him being a better fit with Draisaitl. With Pulju and Connor being the fastest players out there, I'd love to see that speed attack come from our top 2 lines!

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The thing I remember about Pulju this past year was that in the brief time he had on McDavid's wing, I thought he didn't look at all out of place, and unlike guys like Eberle or Lucic he didn't look like he was killing himself trying to keep up with McDavid when 97 took the puck up ice.

I remember that 2 on 1 break they had where Pulju got himself in great position to receive the puck from McDavid for what should've been an easy tap-in, but he somehow hit the post with it, and poor Pulju threw his hands up in disbelief afterwards. I've often wondered how differently his season would have been if he had scored on that play.

Confidence is a powerful, yet fragile thing. A single play can swing it one way or the other.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Very doable. Especially considering he will play with one of the games best playmakers, regardless of who it is.

I see him being a better fit with Draisaitl. With Pulju and Connor being the fastest players out there, I'd love to see that speed attack come from our top 2 lines!

That size on the second line would be something too. Jesse is already bigger than Leon was when he first came into the league. If he could get to 215-220 pounds that would be a very tough line to play against. Throw Luc on the other wing and you are gonna have a tough time breaking up that cycle:laugh:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I think confidence is a big thing in today's NHL, especially for young players. Coming into a new country, new language, new system, smaller rink, and coming off a big injury were all factors in why Pulju struggled last year. When you watch his highlights from his time in Finland... he looked fast and so great with the puck. In the NHL last year, he looked very tentative. Hopefully he feels more comfortable coming into this year and has a similar 2nd season as Draisaitl. Having Jokinen around will be huge.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
That size on the second line would be something too. Jesse is already bigger than Leon was when he first came into the league. If he could get to 215-220 pounds that would be a very tough line to play against. Throw Luc on the other wing and you are gonna have a tough time breaking up that cycle:laugh:

That would be a massive line, but I don't think it would be the best mix for the Oilers.

I want to see Pulju's size and speed with McDavid. Then the Oilers can run with a better playmaker on McDavid's left wing. Makes Maroon redundant as a top six forward and returns him to a more traditional third line role. Also lets Jokinen take some faceoffs while McDavid is figuring that part of his game out. I'd like to see this as the Oilers top three lines.

Jokinen - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Drai - Nuge
Maroon - Strome - Kassian

Those are three tough lines to play against.

The second line RW should be a training camp battle. If Nuge can beat out Strome in camp then that gives him the chance to prove his worth as a 2RW in the regular season. Also would give the Oilers the chance to build up Nuge's worth if they have decided he has gots to go.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

This would be fantastic, 50 points divided between goals and assists is mint.

Also agree with some other comments, confidence is a major thing and coming over to NA can be a tough time. New ice/systems and culture/language is intimidating. From seeing some of him briefly in the AHL he had that swag back we saw from him in Finland

Plus JJ will be a huge mentor. Maybe have the redemption line of Jokinen-Strome-Puljujarvi :yo:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Also agree with some other comments, confidence is a major thing and coming over to NA can be a tough time. New ice/systems and culture/language is intimidating. From seeing some of him briefly in the AHL he had that swag back we saw from him in Finland

Plus JJ will be a huge mentor. Maybe have the redemption line of Jokinen-Strome-Puljujarvi :yo:

JJ was such a smart signing!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The thing I remember about Pulju this past year was that in the brief time he had on McDavid's wing, I thought he didn't look at all out of place, and unlike guys like Eberle or Lucic he didn't look like he was killing himself trying to keep up with McDavid when 97 took the puck up ice.

I remember that 2 on 1 break they had where Pulju got himself in great position to receive the puck from McDavid for what should've been an easy tap-in, but he somehow hit the post with it, and poor Pulju threw his hands up in disbelief afterwards. I've often wondered how differently his season would have been if he had scored on that play.

Confidence is a powerful, yet fragile thing. A single play can swing it one way or the other.

There is no way to overstate this.
Jesse needs a strong start this year...its critical for his confidence which (as you pointed out) has the ability to completely derail his season.

Where is is slotted in the lineup will also play a large part in how successful Jesse is early. For that reason I think you start him with JJ and have him play softer minutes. That solves 2 issues at the same time....a strong recipe for success IMO.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
There is no way to overstate this.
Jesse needs a strong start this year...its critical for his confidence which (as you pointed out) has the ability to completely derail his season.

Where is is slotted in the lineup will also play a large part in how successful Jesse is early. For that reason I think you start him with JJ and have him play softer minutes. That solves 2 issues at the same time....a strong recipe for success IMO.

This is also why I don't want to sign a Jagr or Iginla. I want Pulju to be given a chance to succeed. We need internal growth to win the cup. And if he does succeed, he will be a far better piece than anyone we can sign right now.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This is also why I don't want to sign a Jagr or Iginla. I want Pulju to be given a chance to succeed. We need internal growth to win the cup. And if he does succeed, he will be a far better piece than anyone we can sign right now.

Iggy I agree with, Jagr I dont. Jagr is still a top line/top 6 forward 45-60 point player. Id have zero issue sending Cagguila or Slepyshev to the farm to facilitate Jagr. Theyll be up by game 10 anyway as injuries always happen

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I hope this line happens and is successful but more in a plus minus way than a they all score 50 points kind of way. If they did we would have significant cap issues moving forward.

I'd rather them be a true third line scoring threat while also maintaining a solid goal differential.

15 goals, 20 assists, and +10 playing 12-15minutes a night for each of Jokinen-Strome-Puljujarvi. 45 goals from a third line is pretty sweet.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Puljujarvi adds a dimension on the rush with McDavid that imo not even Draisaitl does at times. All you need to do is go back and watch McDavid or Puljujarvi highlights and you'll see what i mean when those 2 get going together on the rush. They can either turn a 2 on 2 into a 2 on 1, or they force the opposition to back way in leaving a wide open trailer. I still expect Puljujarvi to be the long-term winger for McDavid with Draisaitl playing 2nd line C, and moving up as a Pulju-McDavid-Draisaitl line when they need a spark or a goal in the 3rd period.

Of course these are long-term expectations out of me. Pulju needs a good start in the meantime, and whether thats playing with McDavid, Draisaitl, or RNH/Strome+Jokinen remains to be seen. I have never been down on him like many posters on here however, so it really won't surprise me if he breaks in as a solid regular in the top 9 next season. He has the tools, he has the IQ, he just needs to fine tune it to the NHL game.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I hope this line happens and is successful but more in a plus minus way than a they all score 50 points kind of way. If they did we would have significant cap issues moving forward.

I'd rather them be a true third line scoring threat while also maintaining a solid goal differential.

15 goals, 20 assists, and +10 playing 12-15minutes a night for each of Jokinen-Strome-Puljujarvi. 45 goals from a third line is pretty sweet.

Im not as worried about cap as some so I really don't mind if they all explode if it makes the team better. The future of this team more than likely is built around McDavid, Draisaitl, and Puljujarvi up front. If Puljujarvi hits his potential and the Oilers manage to be perennial contenders then you shouldn't have major issues filling out the rest of the roster assuming the team continues to draft well, sign college FA's, and lure in cheaper vets looking for a cup. If cap becomes an issue and you can flip assets like Strome, RNH, etc. for futures while replacing them internally then you have a pretty good system going.

At the end of the day the caps a thing everyone deals with, but I feel pretty damn comfortable with McDavid and Draisaitl steering the ship.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Aren't all those players guys he should doing better than?

I still think he'll be very good but those don't seem like comparables.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Aren't all those players guys he should doing better than?

I still think he'll be very good but those don't seem like comparables.

Those are the u22 players in the AHL last year, it's not ideal but I'm not sure what else you'd like to compare him to...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree.
I have yet to see a convincing argument on why a player like Jagr is a good fit.
I would be shocked if the Oilers were to sign him.
He simply isn't required especially now that they have signed a much more versatile (and cheaper) vet in Jokinen.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I remember that play and I agree.

But I'm not counting my chickens just yet... fine with him maturing another year. Language will be a big factor for him. He is raw and needs teaching and I'd rather him be in a position of success while taking his criticism from his coach, rather than having the self-imposed pressure of wanting to stick on a phenom's NHL line.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I personally would like to see Jesse and Connor start to work on some chemistry this year if Jesse is ready. I think long term their skill sets will compliment each other perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->